2011-12 Sailors hockey schedule
- Nov. 30: Steamboat 3, Battle Mountain 0
- Dec. 2: Fountain Valley 6, Steamboat 3
- Dec. 3: Kent Denver 7, Steamboat 4
- Dec. 5: Steamboat 3, Summit 2
- Dec. 10: Resurrection Christian 3, Steamboat 2
- Dec. 13: Steamboat 7, Aspen 4
- Dec. 17: Regis Jesuit 5, Steamboat 1
- Jan. 6: Steamboat 4, Pine Creek 0
- Jan. 7: Summit 6, Steamboat 3
- Jan. 13: Steamboat 8, Aspen 2
- Jan. 14: Steamboat 15, Pueblo County 2
- Jan. 21: Steamboat 8, Battle Mountain 1
- Jan. 27: Steamboat 5, Mullen 5
- Jan. 28: Steamboat 6, Standley Lake 1
- Feb. 4: Steamboat 5, Dakota Ridge 3
- Feb. 7: Steamboat 8, Columbine 0
- Feb. 10: Chatfield 7, Steamboat 1
- Feb. 11: Steamboat 8, Monarch 5
- Feb. 18: Ralston Valley 5, Steamboat 4
- Feb. 24: State Playoffs: Bishop Machebeuf 5, Steamboat 2
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School hockey team’s season came to an end Friday with a 5-2 loss to top-seeded Bishop Machebeuf in the opening round of the Class 4A state playoffs.
The Sailors, who entered the contest as an eighth seed, had a lot of the same problems Friday that had plagued the team all year.
The Sailors took nine penalties in the first two periods and 13 in the game. The penalties inevitably didn’t allow Steamboat to get into a rhythm and use all three of its lines.
“The bottom line is we took too many penalties,” Steamboat coach Jeff Ruff said. “We could never get our three lines rolling. We couldn’t get our momentum rolling like we wanted.”
After a scoreless first period, Bishop Machebeuf scored three goals in the first six minutes of the second period to take a 3-0 lead.
Steamboat senior John Wharton deposited a power play goal late in the period to cut the lead to 3-1, but Bishop Machebeuf bookended goals around a Jarret Walt power play tally for the final result.
“It was back and forth and good, fast-paced action,” Ruff said. “Their goaltender made a few terrific saves. That’s a momentum breaker.”
The loss ends the high school careers of Wharton, Jace Worden and Lance Ostrom. The good news is Steamboat returns all but the three seniors to next year’s team.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com