Matt Enochs: Policy premise flawed

Put me down as being very disappointed in the new commenting policy on SteamboatToday.com. The premise that anonymous posters are somehow discouraging more people from participating in the comment section is — and I know it is only my opinion — flawed. I would estimate that 80 to 90 percent of the posts were anonymous. You guys just lost every one of those posters. I seriously doubt that they are going to now post using their real names.

It is your paper, and your decision to live with, but the fact that as I write this there has not been a comment posted in 13 hours, except by Scott Stanford, may be indicative of how this new policy will play out.

And if the new policy results in fewer people participating, what then did you actually accomplish? I predict that you will be revisiting this issue in the near future. Best of luck.

Matt Enochs

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Ulrich Salzgeber 2 years, 1 month ago

Hi Matt, I have to tell you that I have been one of the vocal ones calling for this new policy of transparency. If you have something to say than at least have the guts to put your name behind it just as you did with your letter to the Editor. I don't care about quantity but quality. In the past I had no interest in reading opinions from faceless people who just wanted to whine or criticize. I want productive dialog and diverse opinions that will allow me to understand other sides of an argument. I will now read and participate due to the new policy. I hope to see you around Matt.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 1 month ago

The last time the commenting policy was changed by requiring identity disclosure to the Pilot, the same dire predictions were made. Those predictions didn't pan out then, and I doubt they will this time around.

rhys jones 2 years, 1 month ago

There is obviously a reduced activity level here, and if I advertised in this rag, I'd have a problem with that.

cindy constantine 2 years, 1 month ago

Not to mention how boring the posts are----I already miss the laughs!!

rhys jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Q: What's the difference between God and a Reporter? A: God doesn't think He's a Reporter.

Don't expect this policy to change. One thing I noticed when I worked in TV news (photographer) was how consistently insecure, driven, and self-important most "talent" types were -- every one thought they were Ted Koppel. This phenomenon seemed to occur in reverse proportion to market size -- as in police work, the larger markets tend to weed out the attitudes and egos. Nice being a big fish in a little pond, eh Brent?

The following link provides an interesting collection of zany stories from around the country:

jerry carlton 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Rhys Did you see all the awards the pilot and today just got? Think it was fixed? The Today has its problems but you have to admit, the price is right.

rhys jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah I saw they got best paper "for their size." How many are that size? One.

I just love the media, patting itself on the back. Oscars, Emmies, whose awards were these?

Let these forums die a peaceful death.

jerry carlton 2 years, 1 month ago

rhys Will you admit the price is right for the Today? The forums will not die if you and can go back and forth.

jerry carlton 2 years, 1 month ago

typo error The forums will not die if you and I...............

rhys jones 2 years, 1 month ago

I'll agree with one thing, Jerry. It's worth what it costs.

The Pilot abandoned any pretense of objectivity decades ago, long since demonstrating that they are the mouthpiece of the Ski Corp, Chamber, Tracy Barnett, anything "green" or "sustainable," and any number of other sanctioned thieves. Its only redeeming feature was the forums, where they squelched 90% of the participants rather than subject their fallen princess to further abuse. More like 98%, if we add "interesting" to the description.

We're not gonna save it, Jerry. If my friends can't contribute, neither will I. Better nothing, than the prepared statements of people with agendas. A little honesty kept the playing field level. Now the chemistry is ruined.

Neil O'Keeffe 2 years, 1 month ago

Stop your whinnying for crying out loud. Taking responsibility for your words is where everyone in this country needs to go, just look at the "crying wolf" tactics of the political process these day's. How do we ever come around to expressing real concern or calamity with all the extreme over the top accusations and hate filled rhetoric? Cowboy up and stand behind your words or stop all your bellyaching. IMHO

rhys jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Shore, pardner, then let's saddle up and ride on over to Remedial English. Thank you for proving my point.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 1 month ago

The Federalist Papers, critical documents encouraging ratification of the US Constitution, were written anonymously. So anonymity goes back to the Founding Fathers and the creation of the US Government. The authors of the Federalist Papers were known the editors that published them, just not the general public and so was a very similar form of semi-anonymity as was the recent rules of this website.

Anonymity has long been recognized as being an important means of expressing ideas where the emphasis is the ideas, not the identity or personality of the author.

Anonymity was good enough for our Founding Fathers, but is no longer good enough for the forums.

These forums now have all of the vitality of a morgue.