Oil and gas symposium set for Hayden

Past Event

Oil and Gas Symposium II

• Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Hayden High School, 495 W. Jefferson Ave., Hayden, CO
  • Not available / $20

— As Northwest Colorado prepares for a potential energy boom, two Yampa Valley organizations are hosting a symposium to discuss how oil and natural gas exploration might affect Moffat and Routt counties.

Yampa Valley Data Partners and the Community Agriculture Alliance hosted the first Northwest Colorado Oil & Gas Symposium in September 2011 in Hayden.

The second event is slated for 5 p.m. March 14 at the Hayden High School auditorium, 495 W. Jefferson Ave.

“It’s such a big and complex subject,” said Kate Nowak, executive director of Yampa Valley Data Partners. “We wanted to provide nonbiased education so people can get more information on what the oil and gas boom might look like in our backyard.”

Scheduled speakers include Routt County Planning Department Director Chad Phillips, Steamboat Springs attorney Ralph Cantafio and John Lamb, of Steamboat Energy Consultants.

Even organizers also hope to have an economist and an environmental representative speak at the event.

Lamb is expected to discuss the process of oil and natural gas development, Nowak said. Cantafio will address how lease transfers among companies can affect landowners. Cantafio said he also might talk about a paper he co-authored about hydraulic fracturing.

“I’ve presented on this issue several times now, and it’s become clear to me, from the questions I’ve been asked, that people don’t really understand the process of fracking,” Cantafio said. “I scratched my head and pondered why that might be, and it became pretty obvious that there are two pretty significant bodies of information: either super, highly technical industry data or, on the other side, a ton of incomplete information either from environmental groups or industry that really doesn’t provide a true representation of the scientific issue.”

Tickets for the Northwest Colorado Oil & Gas Symposium are $20. The cost includes a light dinner.

The registration deadline is March 9.

Nowak recommended that anyone who is interested in attending sign up early.

“We sold out early” last year, she said. “Even though we have a bigger venue, I imagine a lot of people are going to want to attend.”

Comments

the_Lizard 2 years, 9 months ago

Sedgmo, Cantafio is the attorney I was talking about. This should be a very interesting symposium. I hope I can go.

sedgemo 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Liz! I can't make it that night, hope we get some seriously good reporting. I'd like to hear from both industry and citizens familiar with the work in Rifle.

ralph cantafio 2 years, 9 months ago

To anyone that is interested in reading the paper referenced in the article, you can go to our website www.cantafiolaw.com. If you go to the home page and look on the left, you will see a section called Publications. If you go to the Publications page, it is the first paper: "A Common Sense Guide to the Risks and Benefits of Hydraulic Fracturing". I mention this because at 32 pages it is not what I would call a "breezy" read. I will be providing copies at the Symposium, but to those interested it may make some sense to review that in advance. Also, anyone who is not attending, but is interested in the topic you can secure a copy there as well. It is a pdf format and you can copy the piece from any computer.

Steve Lewis 2 years, 9 months ago

Ralph, Thanks for the document. BTW, I believe Quicksilver/Camelletti will be horizontal at 7,000 ft. Maybe I'm mistaken that they are after natural gas, not oil.

When ground water contamination by the deeper shale gas is exhibited, such as in the Duke study, you offer arguments that they could not prove the path of the contamination, or its source depth. Thus fracking is not a definitive cause. Faulty well casings or new fractures in the drill bore vicinity would be alternative explanations.

I trust you still consider the contamination is due to the gas well activity and methods used. If so is this not sufficient information for Routt residents to object to allowing those drilling methods here?

the_Lizard 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank you for the link, Mr Cantafino. The article was enlightening, but your conclusion of risk management was especially well said..

the_Lizard 2 years, 9 months ago

Well it seems even though it's not Tuesday, the anonymous among us are now barred, banned and killed off. I'm gonna miss some of you guys, sledneck, sedgemo, spidermite, and others. I really really enjoyed debating you lewi, but now you and sun can opine as often as you wish about the evils of energy and no one will question you. Otherwise I'm sure there will be fascinating posts about the weather.

the_Lizard 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh and one more thing for YVB Feed the Birds.....;-)