The Record for Feb. 17

12:06 a.m. Steamboat Springs Police Department officers sent foot patrol to Ski Time Square.

1:16 a.m. Police officers and Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to an ambulance request.

8:54 a.m. Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies and North Routt Fire Department firefighters were called to an ambulance request for a teenage girl who fell down the stairs. The girl briefly was unconscious and had the wind knocked out of her.

10:59 a.m. Police officers were called to a report of a parked car damaged in the 1800 block of Central Park Drive.

11:06 a.m. Deputies and Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to a report of a skier-versus-skier accident at Steamboat Ski Area. A 9-year-old and an adult accidentally turned into each other. The child was transported to Yampa Valley Medical Center with minor injuries. Ski Patrol cleared the other person.

1:51 p.m. Police officers were called to a report of a dog loose in the 2300 block of Mount Werner Circle.

2:33 p.m. Someone found a ring in the 1700 block of Central Park Drive and turned it in to police.

3:56 p.m. Deputies, Colorado State Patrol troopers and Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to a report of a car crash on Rabbit Ears Pass at mile marker 150 where a truck slid into a sedan. One person was taken to YVMC with minor injuries, and two were taken with moderate injuries not thought to be life threatening.

4:42 p.m. Police officers were called to a report of someone using drugs in the 700 block of Yampa Street.

5:17 p.m. Police officers and deputies were called to a report of a suspicious-looking item in a yard in the 2400 block of Ski Trail Lane. Police officers investigated the item and determined it was a potato.

5:51 p.m. Police officers sent extra patrol to the 2300 block of Mount Werner Circle.

6:12 p.m. Police officers were called to a report of a broken window in the 1300 block of Dream Island Plaza. It was handled civilly.

6:22 p.m. Police officers were called to a report of a drunken driver at Lincoln Avenue and Hilltop Parkway, where officers were unable to locate the car in question.

6:35 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of someone locked out of their house in Oak Creek.

7:01 p.m. Troopers, deputies and Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to a report of a car crash on Rabbit Ears Pass.

7:13 p.m. Police officers were called to a report of a dog loose in the 1800 block of Ski Time Square Drive.

8:14 p.m. Police officers were called to a report of trespassing in the 300 block of Little Moon Trail. A person was at a house where he or she was not welcome, and officers asked them to leave.

10:22 p.m. Police officers helped a driver in the 200 block of Lincoln Avenue.

10:54 p.m. Troopers and Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to a car crash at mile marker 154 of U.S. Highway 40 on Rabbit Ears Pass.

11:30 p.m. Police officers and deputies were called to a report of a suspicious person at mile marker 129 of U.S. 40.

Comments

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

5:17 p.m. Oh sure, laugh now. It always starts with just one potato.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

I just noticed the neighbor's rutabagas acting funny too, so I'm going straight to the top. I'm on hold with Homeland Security. It's time to nip this in the bud, no pun intended.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

Ever wonder why they call them "Spuds"? Isn't that a lot like "Scuds"? Something to think about.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

And how about "French fries"? Now History's Biggest Loser wants to take us down with 'em. Damn the potato!!

Scott Wedel 2 years, 8 months ago

Yep, don't underestimate the significance of a potato. Eco terrorists could use a potato battery to set off a bomb. This was probably a test run using the expendable part of the explosive apparatus.

Expect Homeland Security to visit all those that recently purchases potatoes at local stores.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

I've seen potatoes put to use for nefarious purposes before.

kathy foos 2 years, 8 months ago

1.Why did the potato cross the road?He saw a fork up ahead. 2.Why wouldn't the reporter leave the potato alone.He was desperate for a scoop.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, I guess this was not a notorious potato as it is still is open for comments unlike those those other stories about the winner with alcohol, a gun and a car that was not Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 8 months ago

And this is where the paper's policy on comments has problems. So what now? Close comments on any article where people start mentioning the topic that must not be discussed? Is it seriously not possible for locals to make acceptable comments on that topic?

Instead of trying to suppress all comments on a topic, what the paper needs to be able to have some stories have MODERATED comments which will not be posted until approved by someone at the paper.

trump_suit 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I applaud making EVERY single article about Dr. Victory until the Pilot is forced to either close all comment blogs, or bring about a moderated forum.

How about it Brent, your current approach smells. When Dr. Victory has made such a public statement about the dangers of certain activities, do you not believe that the shoe might possibly fit on the other foot.

muck 2 years, 8 months ago

Is that what you want our commuinty to be known as Ms. Victory? Wild West drunking weapon brandishing town? Folks don't obey or respect the law? This paper and Victory are allies and thats why the Bias PILE-IT protects their own. Only good thing the pile-it is for starting fires to keep warm.

Yes Brent! Your kinda like HITLER. Only see and hear and read and comment on what YOU want!

1999 2 years, 8 months ago

bahahahahahahah... looks like the paper closed comments on the Feb 18 record too.

bahahahahahaah..this says alot about our paper, Brent and Ms victory.

I believe this her second offense with liquor and a gun in public.

bahahahahahahahaha

the_Lizard 2 years, 8 months ago

This is why there must be the ability to post anonymously. Dr. Victory didn't, expressed very unpopular opinions, and now is subjected to a hatefest because of her her very stupid actions. I would not ever post here without the ability to remain anonymous. Never! I much prefer the potato story, thx for the smiles highway, sun, phoebe, RWD etc. ;-)

thalgard 2 years, 8 months ago

Lizard ....this is not the first time for her to be drunk and disorderly. She very well may hurt someone, and her spouse has already tried.

cheesehead 2 years, 8 months ago

Nothing like refusing a test to show everyone how sober you are. I guess it got Gary out of a DUI....

heboprotagonist 2 years, 8 months ago

When the pilot picks and chooses which stories are open for public forum it ceases to be a newspaper or a source of journalistic integrity and instead becomes an advertising agency.

With no subscriptions to speak of and revenue generated solely via ad sales, that's all it can ever be. The Pilot is not beholden to it's readers, but to those entities who pay its' bills.

So sad.

the_Lizard 2 years, 8 months ago

I understand that thalgard, but IMO that's a different subject than the fact that she was against mmj. Since she was an unpopular voice for that side her every move can now be scrutinized, because she chose to use her real name in the comment section.. (she may have written letters to the editor too, I never followed the mmj thing that closely) Anyway, I'm not defending her actions, I'm just saying I woudn't comment here without the cover of anonymity. Hebo..., I'm not so sure that closing off certain stories from commentors is such a bad idea. Scott Wedell mentioned, and I agree, it should be closed on stores of personal tragedy, of which, I think this is. Very sad really.

1999 2 years, 8 months ago

in my opinion...mz victory is subject to the "hatefest' (though I don't think thats what this is).....because she based her position on lies and mistruths and is clearly the worst kind of hypocrite.

thalgard 2 years, 8 months ago

Lizard, i agree that this is a pathetic individual, but her public and outspoken persone leaves her open to greater public scrutiny.

cheesehead 2 years, 8 months ago

Someone getting arrested in Steamboat for being a dumb drunk isn't a big tragedy. The plane crash is a tragedy. This is comic relief.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 8 months ago

Refusing the test may get you out of the DUI, but it is pretty much automatic loss of driver's license for a year.

And refusing is hardly an easy way to get out of the DUI because they can bring in evidence of how much person had to drink prior to driving. Blood alcohol level can be determined close enough based upon consumption.

Though, I think it may matter if the "friend" whom called the police is really a friend or was more of an enemy that claimed to be a friend on the call to police. If the "friend" is truly a friend then it would be hard to justify Dr Victory's actions to a jury. If the "friend" is more of an enemy and this enemy was trying to take car keys and exaggerated the gun part then Dr Victory may get off.

the_Lizard 2 years, 8 months ago

It's a personal tragedy cheesehead, but because of her opinion on mmj she's being discussed and vilified more so, than if she were just an average dui. (again she may have been anti-mmj outside of the comment section, I'm sorry I don't know for sure, wasn't something I was interested in) My main point is I wouldn't want the repurcussions that could come from lack of anonymity in the comment section.

Actually, I'm not well enough informed about Dr. Victory or the bad feelings she generates to carry on a good argument other than the need for anonymity in the comment section....

heboprotagonist 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't think the Kelley Victory story is much of a story. It's certainly not a personal tragedy. Though, public figures deserve no amount of respect or anonymity. That is the risk associated with attempting to sway public opinion. If you aren't mentally strong enough to handle public criticism, then you shouldn't be a public figure.

The real story here is actually the Pilot's choice to eliminate the public forum associated with that story. They allowed all manner of comments on the church vandal story, how is this any different? The answer is money. The pilot doesn't stand to lose any revenue from advertisers if the young man who goes off his meds is publicly vilified in their comment section. It's different when a conservative voice with support from the old money in this town has a brush with the law. The pilot is correct to be concerned that the Victory story would generate some questionable comments, but it's their job to moderate the forum and give the appearance of neutrality.

By choosing to keep that forum closed the Pilot has eliminated the appearance of neutrality and revealed themselves as nothing more than a media outlet for hire. They just failed journalism 101 at a community college.

cheesehead 2 years, 8 months ago

With DUI/DWAI you're pretty much guilty if you if you pass on the opportunity to prove your innocence. Right or wrong, it is what it is.... If you make yourself a public figure you will be treated like one, which includes "gossip" about your arrest article in the paper. Just ask Cargo and Wall. Interesting that someone takes the time to read through all of this and comment when they are too good for it.

Brent Boyer 2 years, 8 months ago

Hebo: We made the decision to disable comments yesterday afternoon when we first published the story online because we were in the midst of trying to report on a serious plane crash at Yampa Valley Regional Airport and knew we didn't have the staffing to effectively monitor some of the inappropriate comments we figured the Victory story would generate. I have zero interest in playing favorites. If that was the case, we wouldn't have published a detailed news article about Kelly Victory's arrest. However, you and others are correct in that improvements are needed to our online commenting system. We've been hard at work to that end in the couple of weeks since we held a community forum about it here at the Pilot's office. I'm optimistic we'll have the finishing touches on a revised system very shorty. A couple of last details are being worked out now. Thanks, Brent

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

I have never heard "Dr." Victory deny any association with the potato industry. I think she is part of the plot, which thickens before our eyes, the murky broth of intrigue. I believe she is also in possession of several unregistered pickles. I put Homeland Security on speed-dial, so you can be sure they are following this story closely too.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 8 months ago

The Dr Victory story is news because it suggests serious hypocrisy for someone that is a local public figure on the topic for which she is known.

She lectured the community on how mmj is such a terrible problem. The marijuana debate does not go far before it is argued that alcohol is a more hazardous substance than mj and that mj prohibition has completely failed just as alcohol Prohibition failed.

She has claimed to know something about substance abuse and that mmj is ruining the local community. This incident suggests she should stop lecturing to others about their lifestyles and work on her own lifestyle, and worry less about mmj and more about alcohol.

Brent, As if the newspaper decides what is local news. The arrest was news and known regardless of whether or not the paper ran a detailed article. The detailed article was demanded by the event if only to communicate facts instead of rumors.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

We continue to refer to this person as "Doctor," yet the article documenting her arrest makes no mention of this title. Are we to infer she does not have the credentials to support that claim?

Scott -- It does no good to drag up old news, and with Homeland Security now on the case, I'd be especially careful what I say.

That said, it sounds to me like the good "Doctor" could benefit from a couple of hits of righteous kind bud; in fact, it should be court-ordered.

thalgard 2 years, 8 months ago

This worthless fish wrapper came out in favor of th MMj ban, and I find it curious at best that they are stifling the exchange of ideas and concerns that our community has about this clearly dangerous individual. Ms.defeat has now more than once made a spectacle of herself in public, both Times screaming about her gun and her willingness to use it.

SMRFF 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm a little late to the party here. Can someone please provide a link or some cliffs as to what happened?

heboprotagonist 2 years, 8 months ago

So, Brent

Now that the plane crash story has been reported and your full staff is back do you plan to open up the comment section on the Victory story?

If not, why?

steamboatsconscience 2 years, 8 months ago

Well Colleen, all I can say is Karma is a b@&%#, ain't it? I hope and pray they take your guns and permit away, just like the the ATF has taken away that right from medical marijuana patients. A few hundred hours of community service would be nice too....

john bailey 2 years, 8 months ago

what i find strange is a friend tried to keep a friend from driving drunk. who would know best about ones sobriety. i sure would like my friends to do the same thing with me. how could you rail about something like mmj and pull stupid -ss stunt like this. hypocrisy at tis finest. i heard it snowed , did you buy a walk up ticket this morning? ski corp. was justified. not lol

exduffer 2 years, 8 months ago

I believe the Secret Service will get involved in this potato(e) incident if requested by VP Dan Quayle.

muck 2 years, 8 months ago

Brent, How is it that the only article shut down to comments due to the airplane crash was the VICTORY story. YOU ARE SO FULL OF CRAP!

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

I know it seems an unlikely connection, but first Kelly gets popped, then anonymous privileges are revoked. She does seem to bring out the worst in folks.

And to think it all began, with just one potato... this is just the start, my friends.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 8 months ago

If Ms. Victory had been stoned instead of drunk, she likely would have forgotten where she last left her gun or how to put the bullets in it, ordered a pizza and maybe curled up in front of the boob tube to watch "World's Dumbest Criminals". Her evening would have gone a lot better.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey, Rhys-

"highwaystar (rhys jones) says... I can't blame him. All this news is so B-O-R-I-N-G. We seriously need a scandal. February 14, 2012 at 6:41 p.m."

Hahahahahaha! Ask and you shall receive!! BTW, what was your comment at 12:51 that was deleted? I'm sooo curious, given that thalgard's expletive is still standing on Brent Boyer's anonymity article. You can post it on my wall; I don't think they remove comments from there.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

Hi Phoebe -- Ya know, I was looking for that comment, and couldn't remember if I actually submitted it, or had second thoughts... so thanks!! I DID say that.

If they deleted it, I don't know how to retrieve it, do you? I guess I could back-arrow about a hundred times. I am not the nerd I claim to be.

I think it contained the phrase "crazy eyes" and degraded from there, and if the Pilot lets this slide, I will count myself a lucky man.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

I found that and sent it over to you, Phoebe, only 29 clicks back. I saved a copy for myself, and will happily provide it to anybody who asks.

It contains no vulgarity or questionable language, though it does not speak favorably of the subject of the scandal at hand (thank You, Lord!!).

I believe it serves the Pilot's best interests to leave thal & muck's BS up because it supports their decision to bar anonymity, never mind the young, impressionable, easily offended, or anybody else with any class at all.