Conservative commentator and author Ann Coulter speaks during an event hosted by The Steamboat Institute on Friday night at the Thunderhead building.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Conservative commentator and author Ann Coulter speaks during an event hosted by The Steamboat Institute on Friday night at the Thunderhead building.

Ann Coulter makes priorities clear at event in Steamboat

Advertisement

— Controversial conservative commentator Ann Coulter told a crowd in Steamboat Springs on Friday that the only thing she cares about is November’s presidential election.

“If we don’t beat Obama now, it’s lights out for America,” she said. “This is our only chance to repeal Obamacare.”

Coulter was the featured speaker at the Thunderhead building during a private event called Dinner on the Mountaintop. It was organized by The Steamboat Institute and was attended by about 185 people.

Much of Coulter’s 30-minute speech focused on the presidential election and her desire for a conservative — namely Mitt Romney — to beat President Barack Obama.

“He’s going to be hard to beat this year,” Coulter said.

One of the biggest hurdles the Republican Party faces is ousting an incumbent, she said.

“We’ve only done it once in the last century,” Coulter said.

She said that voters also like Obama on a personal level and that people like the fact that he is the country’s first black president. Broadcast media organizations also create a challenge for the Republican Party, she said.

“The NFN, or non-Fox media, is madly in love with him,” Coulter said.

They key to ousting the Democrat will be winning over the independent voters, she said.

“We need those independents, and there is nothing scary about Mitt Romney,” Coulter said.

Her choice for the Republican vice presidential candidate is New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

“I’m seeing it as eight years with Mitt Romney and then eight years as cleanup with Chris Christie,” Coulter said.

After Coulter’s speech, she took several questions. One person asked what she thought were the most important issues facing the country. She said they are the economy, joblessness and an enormous bureaucracy.

“The problem now isn’t taxes,” Coulter said. “The problem now is regulation ... just endless bureaucracy.”

Construction company owner Fred Duckels attended Friday night’s event and enjoyed Coulter’s witty commentary.

“It was more than just a satire,” Duckels said. “She had a lot of insight into what was going on.”

For at least one attendee, Coulter’s remarks about the challenges facing the Republican Party in the presidential election were not encouraging.

“I wanted her to win me over,” said Joey Archer, who is from Salt Lake City and traveled to Steamboat with her husband, Bill, to hear Coulter’s talk.

The Steamboat Institute’s board Vice Chairman Rick Akin said that the event was well-attended and that he considered it a success.

“Her thoughts were thought-provoking as usual,” Akin said.

Friday’s event drew a small crowd of about six protesters, who held signs near the base of Steamboat Ski Area as people walked to the gondola cars.

Kyle Hornor, a 21-year-old Colorado Mountain College student, helped to organize the demonstration.

“We are upset that The Steamboat Institute brought such a divisive political figure to Steamboat Springs,” Hornor said. “She has the right to say the things she does, but I don’t think it’s productive.”

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

John St Pierre 2 years, 1 month ago

I would like to know who paid for the Steamboat Police and Sheriff's dept people who were there..... Being as this was a private event AND FOR HER PROFIT... she is not running for any office...

ALL OF THE "POLICE PROTECTION" I HOPE WAS PAID FOR BY THE SPONSORS........ IF NOT IT HAD BETTER BE AS I PLAN TO ASK THE CITY MANAGER AND SHERIFF WHY NOT.......

0

Oscar 2 years, 1 month ago

You know the old saying that "In every bit of humor is a bit of truth". Well in Ann's case, it goes more like "In every bit of humor is a whole lot of truth" - something the liberals can't stand.

0

John Fielding 2 years, 1 month ago

. Thursday night fliers were being passed out at CMC advertising the planned protest. This may well have prompted local law enforcement to man the event more than they might have otherwise. If so, the need for police staffing would have been the protesters responsibility. .

0

livinginthetwilightzone 2 years, 1 month ago

Exactly my thoughts, John. They wouldn't have needed security if those that opposed her just stayed home and let those that bought tickets go and enjoy their evening.

0

Scott Wedel 2 years, 1 month ago

“If we don’t beat Obama now, it’s lights out for America,"

What sort of idiot makes that sort of statement?

Between Medicare, VA and other programs, government was already providing more than 50% of healthcare PRIOR to Obama being elected. Obamacaree is hardly the revolution that will end the USA.

It is far more likely history will write that Obama was the first of several presidents whose agenda was primarily to try to recover from Bush's disastrous presidency of unfinished and unpaid wars, deficits and economic bubble bursting.

0

Troutguy 2 years, 1 month ago

One would think that if Coulter and the rest of the GOteaParty's only goal this November is to beat Obama, they at least would put forth a few candidates that appeal to more than just a narrow section of voters. Is this really the best and brightest candidates the GOteaParty can put forward for Americans to vote for?

0

jerry carlton 2 years, 1 month ago

Scott Wedel Does "idiot" qualify as name calling? I would have expected better from an intellectual like yourself.

0

Tim Keenan 2 years, 1 month ago

My invite must have gotten lost in the mail.

Unlike 2000 and 2004, Obama won fair and square in 2008. And what do republican leaders say afterward? "Our only priority is making sure Obama is a one-term president." Not "let's work with him to get the economy going again," not even "let's do our best to limit his options." I can imagine how pissed they are that the unemployment rate is falling. If unemployment skyrocketed to 15+%, they'd be thrilled. "Well, at least he'll be a one-term president."

And this paranoia that "if we don't beat Obama, the country will be consigned to oblivion," is absolutely hillarious. If Romney had been president for the last four years, I bet things would have gone almost exactly the same. They're all corporate whores.

0

snowysteamboat 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Mr. Fielding and Mr. Twilight. Every hear of the first amendment? I don't recall it saying anything about paying for police protection or staying home if you are opposed. Right to assembly. I wonder if you two could pass a citizen test.

0

livinginthetwilightzone 2 years, 1 month ago

I was responding to Mr. FishCreek's ridiculous comment. Why do the protestors have the the right to exercise their first amendment but Ms. Coulter doesn't? If there was police protection that had to be enforced then it would be to keep the peace from people protesting. I am aware that the article didn't say anything about extra police protection, however, Mr. FishCreek implied that there was extra police protection there so I assumed Mr. FishCreek was either at the event or protesting and I was responding to that. I wonder if you could pass any kind of test Mr. Snowysteamboat. "Right to assembly" is not a sentence.

0

Fred Duckels 2 years, 1 month ago

Do the occupiers pay for the police to monitor their shenanigans? I thought that Coulter was very polite and gracious, nothing off color, and void of four letter words. It seems when the "totally ignorant" get together and have a good time it sure rankles the elites. They seem to go berserk when not in control. What are those peasants up to now?

0

snowysteamboat 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Twilight:

Are you commenting on my grammar? I was referring to your ignorance of the constitution and its amendments. The citizenry test has a number of questions concerning the constitution and the bill of rights. You might want to study up. Nowhere did I comment on Ms. Coulter's rights. I believe you were merely trying to erect a false argument to divert attention away from your comment that people who disagree should just stay home. If you make an indefensible assertion just admit it and move on.

0

jerry carlton 2 years, 1 month ago

I am really impressed that six students from CMC would take time out from smoking pot in their dorms or getting drunk downtown to protest anything. I am sure 98% of the young adults are great people. Go back and check the police reports for the other 2%.

0

Scott Wedel 2 years, 1 month ago

Jerry, So you are insulted that I invaded your turf? On one hand you appear shocked that I called Ann Coulter an idiot, while on the other hand you say that you are surprised that CMC students would take time out from smoking pot and getting drunk to protest anything?

I am sure 98% of conservatives are great people. Go back and check the police reports for the other 2%.

0

jerry carlton 2 years, 1 month ago

Scott I called them nothing. I commented on behaviours which have been well documented in the newspapers over the years.

0

sedgemo 2 years, 1 month ago

Geez, jlc, do you think if six non-college protesters showed up they might be taking time off from smoking pot and getting drunk too? Both drugs are legally available in our community nowadays.

There are plenty of students who aren't druggies, and there are plenty of non-students who are. Your comment just reads like random sniping.

0

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.