Tina Kyprios announces candidacy for District 2 commissioner

photo

Tina Kyprios

— West Steamboat resident Tina Kyprios confirmed Thursday that she is in the process of filing the necessary paperwork to run as a Republican challenger to incumbent Routt County District 2 Commissioner Doug Monger in the fall election.

Monger is a Democrat who ranches east of Hayden and was elected to his post in 2000.

Kyprios is a former Army captain who served on active duty and in the Army Reserve, where her last job was as a company commander for a Military Police Basic Training unit.

She was licensed as a certified public accountant in Maryland and worked for the Army Audit Agency.

“As an auditor, the key aspect of my job was to learn programs quickly in order to be able to speak to their effectiveness and financial soundness,” she said.

Kyprios moved here in 2001. She lives in West End Village and runs a small consulting business. Kyprios describes herself as a political newcomer and said she decided to run out of a conviction that accountability is part of the democratic system of government.

“That’s not a criticism of Doug,” she said. “But he was running unopposed, and I think our system requires a challenge.”

“I am committed to listening objectively to all sides of every issue and to applying conservative principles to each situation confronting our valley,” Kyprios said. “If elected, I will do all in my power to preserve the strong heritage of Routt County while at the same time helping us to move forward into a sustainable future.”

To reach Tom Ross, call 970-871-4205 or email tross@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

Mine too. 12 years is way too long for anyone to feed at the public trough. Bring back term limits.

trump_suit 2 years, 10 months ago

After communicating with Doug Monger via email about two distinctly different and separate issues, I will be voting for anyone but Mr. Monger. His responses to me reflect zero concern for the views of his consituents, and he went out of his way to make sure that I understood my point of view did not have merit and that he was not listening to my concerns.

Mr Monger, in your response to my inquiries this year, you have managed to completely alienate me as a voter, and your opponent will be receiving my vote. Rest assured that I will vote.

1999 2 years, 10 months ago

yes! time for all new blood at the RC comissioners office.

Fred Duckels 2 years, 10 months ago

Trump, I think that your comments toward Monger should include your idenity. A cheap shot here is much too easy. The other side would be to give details of your requests.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Fred, That wasn't a cheap shot. What Trump described sounds similar to how I was treated by Mr Monger. Our conversation was about a poorly maintained unpaved county road.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 10 months ago

Dynamics of county commissioners could change from 1 SB resident to all being essentially SB folk. It has been a while since there have been contested elections, but "localness" is often enough as much of an issue as Democrat or Republican. Rural parts of county have, in the past, been as concerned with candidates being too SB. So those that lean Republican in West Routt might vote for Monger as not being too SB over a SB Republican candidate.

Should be an interesting campaign and election.

steamboatsprings 2 years, 10 months ago

Long terms are definitely an issue in Routt County Government. I am encouraged to see people contesting the incumbents as they have become too distant from their constituents concerns. Disagreeing is fine but the way they make decisions has shown little consideration for the people they represent. I applaud Tina for stating her ideals and making this two county commission seats that are being contested. With three seats total this is huge shift and now opportunity to have county commissioners that are more thoughtful. I am now motivated to get more involved, find the candidates to support and then help them.