Jennifer Schubert-Akin: Setting it straight

I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the concerns expressed by fellow citizens in recent letters to the editor regarding The Steamboat Institute. It is interesting to note that we are criticized by “liberals” for being “too conservative.” At the same time, we are criticized by many Republicans for being “too conservative.” Yes, you read that last line correctly.

Frankly, this tells me that we must be doing something right (pun intended).

The mission of The Steamboat Institute always has been to educate the public on the founding principles of the United States and to inspire people — whether they be conservative, liberal, Libertarian or some other description — to be involved actively in their implementation. We have been successful in this regard, bringing some of the top public policy thinkers and voices to Steamboat Springs, beginning with our inaugural Freedom Conference in 2009.

Let me provide a few examples:

■ One of our crowd favorites at our annual Freedom Conference has been Dan Mitchell, an expert on tax reform and tax policy with the Cato Institute. If you believe that Dan is Republican, then I suggest that you give him a call and ask him for yourself. I also suggest that you hold the phone a safe distance from your ear, as the response may well be loud and boisterous. Dan expresses a decidedly independent point of view on tax policy and tax reform.

■ Yaron Brook, president of the Ayn Rand Institute, promotes the philosophy of Ayn Rand — known as Objectivism — and then applies that philosophy to current political and economic trends in America and throughout the world.

■ Hal Scherz, M.D., practicing physician and founder of Docs 4 Patient Care, is a concerned physician who founded this organization to help preserve the sanctity of the doctor-patient relationship, promote quality of care, support affordable access to all Americans and protect patients’ freedom of choice. I have no idea whether Dr. Scherz is Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or anything at all. You will have to ask him.

There are plenty of other examples I could give, but I am limited by space. I encourage you to visit our website or to visit with those who attend our Freedom Conferences and monthly 1773 Club meetings. You will find that our discussions are vigorous and challenging and that everyone, regardless of political persuasion, is welcome to attend. You will be treated with respect, and in turn, we expect everyone who attends our events to show courtesy and respect to all others who attend or speak.

Feel free to contact me or any member of our board of directors with any questions or concerns. And we hope to see you at the “Dinner on the Mountaintop with Ann Coulter” on Feb. 17. I can assure you that the Q-and-A following Ms. Coulter’s speech will be lively and challenging.

Jennifer Schubert-Akin

Chairwoman, The Steamboat Institute

Comments

Fred Duckels 2 years, 10 months ago

RWD, It appears that if Ann Coulter does not participate you would be all for attending an event sponsored by the institute. This reminds me of the Community Alliance and surrogates always needing one more favorable document before giving thumbs up to an idea. That needed impetus will never come. Ann seems to really get under the skin of those with a leftish ideology. How is it that Bill Maher and David Letterman preach their vitreol with little fanfare from the right? Maybe Ann is hitting a little too close to the truth. Maybe Sarah Palin's daughter jokes are too off color to be believable.

Fred Duckels 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't hear Ann associating the Obama children with Alex Rodrigues. The hypocracy of the left is Ann's bread and butter.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 10 months ago

My criticism of the Steamboat Institute is it's lack of involvement in local issues. Not that they need to give an opinion on everything, but surely their philosophical viewpoint does not only apply to national or international issues.

Not that they need to give their opinion on everything, but no opinion on fracking? No issue from airline subsidies to MainStreet tax where their philosophical perspective suggests an opinion?

Mark Helle 2 years, 10 months ago

I appreciate free speech, the right to choose who you pay to see and who you vote for as an American and citizen of the World. Thank you for bringing many erudite and informative speakers to Steamboat. However, the distinction between politics,money and reality TV has brought us to a critical juncture in this country - and the world to which we broadcast. No party has a greater ownership to hypocrisy than the other, but I have to agree with RWD, anyone who sells books with qoutes like this one about women who lost their husbands in the World Trade Center is noti nforming us or expanding our view:

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis. I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much." In an interview on Fox News Coulter is said to have referred to the widows as "harpies" whose husbands were planning on divorce.

In my opinion, she belongs in Vegas - not Steamboat.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

Ann has seemed very truthful to the point it hurt's,maybe it's the truth that is vile?She has the right to speak as much as you do ,dorje, takes courage to express such passionate opinions,and she is very well informed.I would go see her if it didn't cost so much ...oh and if my car wasn't broke,ha! Welcome Ann when you come this week.You do have fans here girl.Sure would be nice if the Pilot staff covers it well. .

Mark Helle 2 years, 10 months ago

Hello Sun I never said she didn't have the right to speak. And I agree with David Bowie "It's the terror of knowing what this world is about." I don't agree she is well informed. She is great at selling books and getting headlines. Well informed is, in my opinion (here comes a can of worms) "Manufacturing Consent" by Noam Chomsky. OrNicholas Kristof, or David Frum, or David Brooks.

sledneck 2 years, 10 months ago

I remember walking some bad neighborhoods many years ago hearing the hoodlums and punks say how they wouldn't take no crap off that cop and if they saw him again they would tell him a thing or two.

But without exception whenever the cops reappeared all that big talk didn't stop them all from scattering into the shadows like mice and roaches.

As they slithered away they always mumbled the same tough words to one another... some profound garbage like "YO, MAN, it ain't productive to reason with that unreasonable cop anyway... I ain't scared of that cop though... I'll whip his a**... Yo, i'm outta here..."

If they actually had any intellectual ammo they would send it all downrange when a target like Coulter gave them such a rare opportunity.

Mark Helle 2 years, 10 months ago

"A wayward Bugle in the night" - Now that is the truth! And you don't have to pay for it or argue about it. Just walk in the forest in Routt County in late August or September and listen to the Elk. There is more wisdom in that bugle than anything being bantered by political pundits. I like to think more of us will remember that at the moment of death than anything Miss Coulter has to say.

sledneck 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe we should vote for "elk" for president? I hear he's thinking of picking squirrel as his VP.

Mark Helle 2 years, 10 months ago

I really enjoyed, and was surprised to read Cal Thomas' editorial yesterday. This is how civil people agree to disagree and maintain a discourse. Cal Thomas or Rachel Maddow might have sold out - and shown how to be a part of the solution rather than profiting from the sideshow and pandering to fear. I hear Ann Coulter is "for gay rights" in her own way. Maybe, after the National Anthem, she could lead a chorus of the last verse of "Under Pressure" by Queen:

'Cause love's such an old fashioned word And love dares you to care for The people on the edge of the light And love dares you to change our way of Caring about ourselves This is our last dance This is our last dance This is ourselves Under pressure Under pressure Pressure

Fred Duckels 2 years, 10 months ago

With the rise in lift prices Ann seems to be the best deal on town tonight.