Chuck Abbott: Quacks like a duck

— Accolades to Ken Collins for his letter to the editor in the Jan. 31 Steamboat Today stating what must be on the minds of many Steamboat Springs residents: Why would anyone want to bring Ann Coulter, who can only spew vitriolic venom, to speak here? Surely the Steamboat Institute could have found a speaker of more substance that could enhance its conservative point of view.

Although Steven Hofman, in his rebuttal of Collins, is quick to point out that the Steamboat Institute is not the Republican Party, I would agree with Collins that when it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it’s a duck. So I can understand his mistake in confusing the Institute with the GOP.

At the next election, conservatives (Republicans) will be looking for all the independents they can muster. Ann Coulter will not help in attracting more to the fold.

Chuck Abbott

Steamboat Springs

Comments

seeuski 2 years, 2 months ago

While lately I have found Ann Coulter to be a GOP sellout I have an answer for those who feel like Mr Abbott, DON'T BUY A TICKET!!!!!!!!! We are still a free Country and the last time I checked Ann Coulter was a law abiding Citizen with opinions and a right to express them, don't like em? Don't go.

sledneck 2 years, 2 months ago

When you throw a rock over the fence "the hit dog barks". If Coulters remarks did not "hit the dog" it wouldn't be barking.

Another attack, albeit subtle, from leftists on freedom of speech, freedom of association, etc. Coulter is the devil but people who urinate on cops are "expressing their patriotic right to free speech". Yeah.

Fred Duckels 2 years, 2 months ago

Obama uses class warfare as a decoy to distract from his dismal record. Is Ann Coulter a decoy to camouflage the many budgets that we have not seen? How about the debacle of flying AF1 over New York City? I sometimes watch Bill Maher as I enjoy creative humor, in spite of the left wing vulgarity that is his trademark.

trump_suit 2 years, 2 months ago

I support the right of the Steamboat Institute to have anyone they want to speak at their events.

NamVet 2 years, 2 months ago

This is a free country and people can go and listen to whom they please however the money would be of better use if it was donated to the Fallen Heroes Foundation. This way the money could be used to help the people who sacrificed so much and had their lives ruined by people that thought like her and have done nothing for this country except promote hate.

heboprotagonist 2 years, 2 months ago

W/R/T the subtle attacks from leftists on the freedom of speech-

Please note- these are not attacks on the "freedom" of speech. Rather it is the leftists who know the difference between the freedom of speech and the freedom from consequences of said speech.

I don't think anyone wan't to limit what Coulter says (especially liberals, after all Coulter makes our argument of cold and unfeeling conservatives for us). Instead we're merely pointing out that you've got the right to express your opinion and we've got the right to judge you for that opinion.

heboprotagonist 2 years, 2 months ago

Take notice everyone!

The omnipotent pitpoodle has spoken.

Oh, and thanks for proving my point.

sledneck 2 years, 2 months ago

Hebo, With all due respect, the left screamed and complained till her speech at the University of Ottawa in Canada was canceled. Free speech my a**.

Upon announcement of her planned trip to steamboat a local commentors reply was "Time to stock-up on rotten tomatoes..." .

Phillip Smith and William Wolff threw pies at Coulter at the University of AZ. The two were charged with both a felony and misdemeanor.

I think all those are examples of going a wee bit farther than "judging", don't you?

The most intolerant place in America is that bastion of enlightenment, ideas and tolerance knows as the University.

1999 2 years, 2 months ago

No one is disputing the right of free speech and the right of the GOP to invite anyone they want to speak....IMHO......the choice of Coulter is a slap in the face to people who are taking our nations problems seriously.

I guess the GOP thinks it's all a joke?

so when they could have invited an intelligent articulate speaker...they chose instead to invite a foul mouthed "entertainer"

We have a lot of crap to adress in this nation and it doesn't look like the GOP (steamboat institute) is atking it seriously...hence the hiring of an "entertainer"

it's too bad...I was hoping for someone with answers and ideas.....

sledneck 2 years, 2 months ago

1999, People who assault other people who are making public speeches, in a manner that gets them charged with felonies, ARE BY DEFINITION disputing that speaker's right to free speech. To say otherwise is utter DENIAL.

Who, in your opinion, IS "taking our nations problems serioulsy"? What exactly are "our nations problems"? I doubt there is a snowball's chance in Hell of even getting a concensus on those questions.

Of course the GOP thinks it's a joke. So do democrats. They are both playing the american electorate like a $3 fiddle. The chances of a remedy to our problems is slim, even if we agree at some point as to what they are. The chances of finding those solutions inside the GOP or Democratic parties is ZERO. They and those who look to them for substantive solutions are the joke.

If you are looking to republicans or democrats for answers and ideas then you are in for continuing disappointment. I honestly thought you were smarter and more independant than that.

My objective is to show the American people that both emporers "wear no clothes" and that the solution is in freedom, not as defined by those pollitical party jokes, but as defined by the Constitution.

1999 2 years, 2 months ago

you're right sled...I guess I've been hanging onto hope that someone will start talking sense and shake up this "reality TV" election .

The repblican debates where laughable and now we will soon be faced with equally laughable dem debates.

why don't people wake up?

why do we (collectively) believe this crap?

Jeff Kibler 2 years, 2 months ago

99, what dem debates? Are the Democrats going to primary the President?

mtroach 2 years, 2 months ago

Yvb, you never got back to me with your Rep. pick. Who do you favor, the "open" family, anti insider, who just happened to keep working inside the belway after his term in congress ended, or the or the " unemployed " corporate raider millionaire looking to buy himself a new job, and lifetime benefits. Or do you prefer the angry anti-gay in the sweater vests, or maybe the crazy old man who wants to dissolve the federal government, and legalize drugs and prostitution?

I'm on the fence, who's your choice?

Feel free to amend my descriptions of the field if they seem biased. That's just how I'm seeing the candidates.

housepoor 2 years, 2 months ago

RWD, you hit the nail on the head, the fringe dominated caucus’s forcing the GOP candidates to take extreme positions in primary thus dooming them in the general election.

1999 2 years, 2 months ago

So YVB...who would you like to see in the white house?

sledneck 2 years, 2 months ago

Roach, I don't know about YVB but I'll take the crazy old man who wants to dissolve the government...

Jeff Kibler 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm all for the crazy old man, especially the "legalize drugs and prostitution" planks of his platform.

John Fielding 2 years, 2 months ago

. I am no fan of Obama, but I think I may like Gingrich a little less, for different reasons. I would not vote for either.

I support Romney as a practical choice, as a true patriot, committed to traditional values. (the notion he wants this job for the beeifits is almost funny). I also respect his moral core, as I do with Santorum and Paul.

Perhaps Obama is also patriotic in a different way, thinks the country needs fundamental transformation and it is moral to say anything which will advance it. While I respect his personal family values, I think the change he is advocating is destructive to our nation morally and physically. .

pitpoodle 2 years, 2 months ago

YVB, you got it right. The guy is a pathological liar. No question.

George Fargo 2 years, 2 months ago

A lot of this thread has been about free speech, specifically about Coulter's "right" to free speech and people who don't like her trying to restrict her "right" to free speech. It amuses me when people, left and right, run to the Constitution to make their point. The Constitution does not give her the "right" to free speech. Or you. Or me. It also does not prohibit anyone from trying to restrict freedom of speech, except Congress. Read the first amendment: "Congress shall make no law.....abridging the freedom of speech....".

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps - as a community that markets itself to the world (sometimes dubiously -"8 Feet of champagne powder?") we should aspire to inviting guest that enhance our qualities, rather than participate in divisive politics that primarily sell books and tv ratings and have no intention to bring about "change." Remember the Tibetan Monks (forcilby exiled from their own country after 1 in 6 were murdered) who came (at no cost) two summers ago promoting peace, tolerance, impermanance and compassion. Every day, for 6 days, over 1000 people came to witness their mandala and experience unity. Over 3000 peole attended the closing ceremony. They were so touched by the spirit of the Yampa valley residents that they offered to stay another day (for no money) and perform a healing ceremony for the benefit of our community and world peace. Intention is the heart of the matter. Do we want to further the dialogue or "win" our biased opinions?

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

Happy to have registered your "Om Meter." As for politics - i'm no expert, but I do know George Bush awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor to the Dalai Lama. And world peace starts with your next door neighbor. Off to feed the birds. Namaste' neighbor ;-}

housepoor 2 years, 2 months ago

dorje, there are only 3 or 4 trolls here that relentlessly churn out the political bs, unfortunately they do seem to have a lot of time on their hands(maybe taking a break from their and have chosen to spend that time enlightening the rest of us……..

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

I daily make mistakes. Like Abraham Lincoln said, "I like to think I am smarter today than I was yesterday." I would say oops - but according to my recollection and Google, here is what was given to the Dalai Lama "U.S. lawmakers will award their highest honor, the Congressional Gold Medal of Honor, to Tibet's religious leader, the Dalai Lama on Wednesday." September 27,2006. I watched it on CSpan.It was quite a moving ceremony. John Wayne and Billy Graham were prior recipients.

I dont think either of us look shoddy - just human. My point is that we don't need to call names and draw battle lines to solidify our opinions. We are capable of more dignified behavior. We're in the same boat brother - you rock one end you're gonna roll the other. And if we can't start In this "Boat" where will we, as a species, start? Peace

Jeff Kibler 2 years, 2 months ago

dorje, was "Om Meter" intentional or just a typo?

as in "Jai guru deva Om"

Regardless, welcome to our collective of crazies. I like what you type.

Jeff Kibler 2 years, 2 months ago

Mea maxima culpa. YVB should've said "Om-Meter." You were just correcting him in a very subtle way.

MrTaiChi 2 years, 2 months ago

Curiouser and curiouser...

Is calling someone a "right wing nut" and "right wingnut" less offensive than using the epithet, "loopy left winger?" I was guilty of the latter on these pages but came to see the futility of name calling in advancing knowledge. It was said in a paper I read this week as a quote by an author whose name I can't recall, "A discussion is an exchange of information. An argument is an exchange of ignorance."

As to quotes, I said here once that President Eisenhower said that it was better to remain silent and be though stupid rather than to open one's moutn and eliminate all doubt, when Lincoln is the author of that remark. The gentleman above who ascribed the quote to Lincoln, I believe was mistaken, as the humorist, Will Rogers, first said, (I believe), 'Never be afraid to admit you were wrong, as all you are saying is that you are a smarter man today than you were yesterday and there is no shame in that' (in words or substance).

The point that the Constitution bars only government supression of free speech is literally correct, but overlooks the reality that all laws, including the Constitution, reflect a nation's communal moral beliefs, and one would hope and expect, do so in a minimal way. Otherwise we end up with Sharia or John Smith and Brigham Young suppressing freedom of the press in Navoo, IL. Thus, it is uncivil and bad manners when "right wingers" at colleges shout down liberal speakers or successfully compel student groups to disinvite them;... no wait !..., I got that backwards. As a society we depend on free speech in almost all forms to see which ideas prevail in the market place of ideas.

If you loathe Ann Coulter, don't go.

1999 2 years, 2 months ago

AGAIN!!!!!! No one is arguing that Ms Coulter has a right to speak here and NO ONE is aruing that if we don't like her we don't have to go.

IMHO...it was a really really bad choice of speaker. The republican party comes off as looking like they are taking the upcoming election and our nations problems as a joke because they chose to invite a foul mouthed entertainer instead of inviting someone who knows the issues and would like to present them in a meaningful way.

AGAIN!!!!! it has nothing to do with her rights or our choice to see her or not.

IMO>..it was a choice that lacks better judgment and makes the republicans look like they don't give a dam about our nations issues.

John Fielding 2 years, 2 months ago

. "Congress shall make no law.....abridging the freedom of speech....".

That begins to make it clear that the purpose of government is to not to grant but to guarantee the rights of the people.

An earlier founding document specified the source of human rights. It reads in part "they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights.

The threats to human rights are diverse and many, but it is widely recognized that government itself is chief among them. Often rights are compromised in an effort at protection, the current example of forcing Church owned charities to provide their employees with health insurance including free contraception "to assure women's rights" is an excellent case in point.

NamVet 2 years, 2 months ago

They were not forcing Church owned charities to provide their employees contraception. They were exempt from the ruling. It was Church run business, many for profit that were affected like hospitals and universities where the majority of employees were not Catholic. As a Catholic myself I have listened to the Bishops argue for decades that contraception was a sin. Considering that 98% of Catholics have used some sort of contraception during their lives I don't understand the furor over this matter. Most people will do what they want anyway. I think it is called Freedom. No one is being forced to use birth control if they choose not to. However isn't it better to prevent an unwanted child than to have to consider an abortion down the road.
I realize this is an election year and everything and anything will be used to benefit one party or another. This was also a good opportunity for the Bishops to change the narrative considering the Church has had so many problems with lawsuits costing millions and problem priests.

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks RWD and others: The distinctions of the awards are beyond me and thanks for pointing out my error. One of the Dalai Lama's brother's did work for the CIA in the 50's to resist the chinse communist invasion. And BTW, I did have the monks over for tea and dinner and I would love to have you and everyone else over if they return. Everyone of them walked as children over the Himalaya's to India and Nepal (which YVB is in Asia - Not the Middle East - if that was the point you were trying to make) to escape religious and cultural persecution of our largest debt-holder and most favored trade nation (china).

Just as many of my encounters with the Lakota's in Pine Ridge - I feel I have learned more about the potential of human nature from those who have suffered greatly (and unjustly) than from talking heads and politicians. If we get to have that tea - Ann Coulter is more than welcome. And from now on, just to make sure i'm accurate, maybe I'll just qoute the Dalai Lama "Like myself, all beings want happiness. No being one wants to suffer."

We think proving a point makes us happy. Name calling makes us happy. Upon examination - this is not lasting happiness. and (okay another qoute) as Plato said, upon choosing death over silence "The unexamined life in not worth living." Here's to our good fortune and freedoms!

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

I like your humility and humor TaiChi Not that it matters - everyone is misqouted - but I did find this qoute attributed to Lincoln 'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln, (attributed) 16th president of US (1809 - 1865) And someone likely said the essence of that well before he and Will Rogers.

YVB - I'm new to this and maybe it's just me, but it is a bit hard to follow your post' and understand your points. Without personal judgement but in the spirit of observation, your qoutes seem laced with sarcasm and quite frankly a bit of anger - which isn't really furthering a dialogue. (I think this is how the whole subject arose). Among most who have studied human behavior and history - anger is considered to be a secondary emotion, the tip of the iceberg if you will. Understanding and accepting what lies beneath the tip of the iceberg is our task as individuals and a society that can evolve in a helpful manner. Wishing you and all beings true peace and happiness.

sledneck 2 years, 2 months ago

How do ya like them apples YVB???? They think you have "anger issues".

Nooooooooo. Why would YVB be angry?

"...true peace and happiness" is what you need YVB.

Put some of that in your anger-pipe and smoke it! Maybe you can chill, YVB hee hee hee hee hee

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 2 months ago

YVB doesn't have anger issues ... people just need to quit pissing him off. :-O

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 2 months ago

Googling some sarcasm definitions reveals that it seems to have a bad rap. Here are a few selections:

Sarcasm is ... the lowest form wit; the protest of the weak; anger's ugly cousin; the wit of fools.

I disagree with most of these; good sarcasm requires a certain amount of intelligence. Personally, I like sarcasm. My friends would tell you that I am sarcasm personified. I reign it in here because, well, it pisses people off :-P

My favorite definition: Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid. Here's a website you'll enjoy, YVB.

www.sarcasmsociety.com

John Fielding 2 years, 2 months ago

. NamVet, I agree that people will do what they want despite religious dictates and doctrines, and their freedom to do so is among our most precious prerogatives.The converse is that no one may be directed to violate their conscience, to disregard their religious convictions. That in fact becomes the main point here, that government has assumed the power to compel employers to offer specific procedures in health care policies even if doing so is a violation of their religious beliefs. In my opinion government is not properly authorized to order employers to provide health care at all.

It is my understanding that Church owned hospitals, universities, orphanages, shelters and such are non profit entities, but that is hardly the point. If an employer wishes to offer a benefit of any kind to the employees, they alone should choose the cost, the coverage, the eligibility and all aspects. If your boss does not offer a benefit you want, buy it yourself or seek a different position.

That is freedom. .

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you YVB! They say “when the student is ripe the teacher will appear!” I am so grateful to have found you - my teacher.

I too can appreciate intelligent sarcasm. Steven Colbert's Super Pac is a great example. I think sarcasm and discernments (judgements if you rather) are matters of degree not absolutes. I’m sure we disagree on many issues but name calling is sarcasm in it’s most course form. (from the Greek sarkasmos, to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer.) Just as one may observe a behavior and make an observation without judging the person, one may consider resorting to name calling and stereotyping people you don't know as counterproductive to advancing your opinion. Shalom brother!

mtroach 2 years, 2 months ago

Dorje, just keep in mind that name calling is expressly forbidden in the rules of this forum, so while you and Yvb have this scartastic love in, the paper might not share your love and remove your comments and ban you from the site.

jerry carlton 2 years, 2 months ago

mt roach Have you seen anyone disappear from this forum? Just curious.

mtroach 2 years, 2 months ago

I notice some posters gone, but have no idea if they tire of the site, die, or got banned.

mtroach 2 years, 2 months ago

Yvb, I have no idea what you are talking about. I just offered up a suggestion to use restraint to a new poster.

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks MT - a good mirror is appreciated. I'm a work in progress. I do honestly believe everyone is my teacher. I don't always understand their methods and investigating my not-knowing, acknowledging my ignorance, is where my learning happens.

It did appear to me that this whole post started about a celebrity name caller coming to town and the questioning of the choice. The more we can get beyond that the better chance we have of staying on top of the food chain without destroying ourselves and our habitat. Genetically, homo-sapiens ("wise humans") are 99.9% identical - the least diversified species on earth. We sure make a big deal out of that .1% don't we? Salaam

rhys jones 2 years, 2 months ago

dorje -- I've been watching this from the sidelines, and my BS meter went off. I really don't understand the "least diversified species" remark. I would counter that we are the MOST diverse species.

What species thrives in a larger variety of environments? Who has a more complex genetic structure? A more complex communication system?

Who boasts better hairdo's? Fancier cars? Clothes?

And where else, in all of known Creation, can we read such a vast variety of inane, irrelevant, and inaccurate trivia? Nowhere, mon frere!!

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 2 months ago

Charlie's comment was removed. While it most certainly qualified as "off the wall", I've sure seen worse. Guess I'll never understand the Pilot's rules ...

Mark Helle 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey highway I agree with your points. The "least diversified" is from the genetic viewpoint - our DNA (human to human - race to race) has very little variation compared to other species. I just saw a genetic scientist explain this and found it fascinating. I'm not purporting to be an expert. The complexity of our brains and all that we have acheived allows us to be very creative and destructive. We don't have to spend much time 'surviving' - that was my point - obviously not made very clearly. And i like your point about "known creation" - we keep learning and discovering what used to be unknown - which keeps the game interesting! And keeps us humble.

Jeff Kibler 2 years, 2 months ago

mtroach, yeah, like what happened to mmjPatient409?

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 2 months ago

Are you sure you don't mean mmjPatient22? Still registered, just hasn't commented lately.

rhys jones 2 years, 2 months ago

I can't blame him. All this news is so B-O-R-I-N-G. We seriously need a scandal.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 2 months ago

I've asked this question before, too, yvb. Never got an answer. There are only two answers: 1) The Pilot removed it because it "violated policy", or 2) someone suggested removal (for the record, it wasn't me). Just pick one, Brent!