Sparkler ignites Christmas tree in Steamboat Springs home

Advertisement

— A Christmas tree went up in flames and caused minor damage at a Steamboat Springs townhome Tuesday night.

Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were dispatched to the fire at 337 Little Moon Trail at about 6:30 p.m. Christmas evening. Fire Chief Mel Stewart said people inside the townhome had been using sparklers near the Christmas tree, and it caught fire.

“They thought they were safe to use inside,” Stewart said.

A garden hose was used to put water on the tree, and the fire was out when firefighters arrived.

“The tree was gone,” Stewart said. “It had completely burned.”

The heat from the fire caused some windows to crack and melted a ceiling fan and TV.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

John St Pierre 1 year, 11 months ago

thought sparklers were safe to use inside a house??? guess you cannot fix stupid !!!!!

0

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.