Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition here. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos here.
• The city of Steamboat Springs is one step closer to selling its downtown emergency services building on Yampa Street and constructing new police and fire stations to replace it. What still isn't clear is when and where the new headquarters will be built, and at what cost. City moves closer to selling downtown emergency services building, but many questions remain
• A patient who escaped from Yampa Valley Medical Center on Monday night was arrested Tuesday, and it is suspected he spent the night in a shed on Pamela Lane. Man arrested after escaping from Steamboat Springs hospital
• No one was injured after a school bus loaded with children slid on a slick county road and into a car Tuesday morning at Routt County Roads 129 and 52E. No injuries, minor damage after school bus slides into car outside Steamboat
• City of Steamboat Springs sales tax revenue in October increased 2.36 percent compared to the same month last year. The increase marks the eighth month in 2012 in which collections have been up relative to 2011. Steamboat Springs sales tax collections increase in October, marking 8th such month this year
• The Nelson/George ranch straddles Colorado Highway 131 south of Yampa with views of Eagle Rock, the Flat Tops, King Mountain and Green Ridge Mountain. 1,600-acre South Routt ranch approved for conservation easement
• Eight years after he left a physician position at the center, Smilkstein will be the new medical director after the board ratifies the hiring Jan. 7. South Routt Medical Center hires Smilkstein as new medical director
• Two weeks remain in December and already the snowfall in the city of Steamboat Springs inched past the monthly average of 38.5 inches. December snow in city of Steamboat Springs surpasses historic average for month
• The Surefoot Holiday Classic returns to Steamboat with slalom racing Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Holiday Classic brings top-level slalom racing back to Steamboat Springs
Athlete of the Week: Jesse Draper
The Record for Monday, Dec. 17, 2012
Jimmy Westlake: Doomsday or just another solstice?
Thoughtful Parenting: Free time ultimate holiday gift
Steamboat briefs: Volunteers are needed for Salvation Army bell-ringing