Major makeover for SteamboatToday.com launches midday Monday

Having undergone its first major overhaul since November 2009, a redesigned SteamboatToday.com will go live around midday Monday.

The website’s new look emphasizes readability and ease of navigation for users.

From overall design to typeface styles and sizes to paragraph spacing, very little was left untouched, Editor Brent Boyer said.

“We believe all the changes made as part of the redesign will be to the benefit of our readers,” Boyer said. “We’re thrilled with the result, and we think the thousands of people in Routt County and across the globe who access our site every day will be too.”

The most noticeable difference is SteamboatToday.com’s homepage. A story slider is featured as the homepage’s dominant design element. The slider gives readers the option of cycling through several stories, represented on the homepage with full-size photos and accompanying headlines.

The remainder of the homepage has been designed to display as much editorial content as possible. Story headlines and teases flow down the lefthand side of the page, with categorized content including videos, photo galleries, columns, editorials, letters to the editor and the events calendar occupying the righthand side of the homepage.

A Facebook widget, reader poll and popular stories widget remain in place on the redesigned SteamboatToday.com. Improved sharing options means its easier than ever for readers to share stories and photos with friends and family via email or popular social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.

Readers also will notice improved online photo galleries, and the website’s popular reader comments forum also has been upgraded. Readers with free SteamboatToday.com user accounts can now give a “thumbs up” to other comments, and they can reply to existing reader comments in a new threaded format.

Boyer said the site takes advantage of the latest developments and updates to the Ellington content management system and the Django framework on which SteamboatToday.com operates.

Comments

Melanie Turek 1 year, 11 months ago

It's too bad that the mobile version no longer shows the most-discussed stories. I think you will lose some clicks as a result, since people won't know to look for the latest comments on old stories.

Brent Boyer 1 year, 11 months ago

Melanie, You're not the first person to suggest today that we reinstate the most-discussed stories section on the mobile version. Thanks for the feedback. We plan to discuss it tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised if we bring it back. Thanks, Brent

Brent Boyer 1 year, 11 months ago

Melanie, the active discussions category is again part of the homepage on our mobile site. Thanks again for the feedback. http://m.steamboattoday.com

Carrie Requist 1 year, 11 months ago

What is the little blue circle that pops up? It looks like it has the paragraph symbol in it. If I go to click on it, it usually disappears.

Brent Boyer 1 year, 11 months ago

Carrie, I'm not technically savvy enough to tell you exactly what the feature is called, but clicking on the paragraph symbol changes the URL to automatically jump to that paragraph. This is a particularly useful feature for using hyperlinks to send readers/friends/family/etc. to specific sections of stories. For example, clicking on the link below will send you to the paragraph with my quote:

Carrie Requist 1 year, 11 months ago

So it is an HREF, which is actually a really nice feature. The problem I have is that most of the time I go to click on it, it disappears before I can, which becomes a frustrating game.

James Earley, MCSE 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice job on the makeover. Page loads are much faster now. Pilot IT Department is to be commended for a seamless transition to the new website.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 11 months ago

Home page has obits, births and wedding announcements? Info so static that it goes back months.

Could just as easily list real estate transactions or police blotter in that space. Regardless, the info left to present is not that important, but at least it will be changing.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Looks great!! These old eyes appreciate the larger fonts. Loads fast, nice format -- Bravo, Tyler et al!!

Brent Boyer 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks, Rhys. Happy to hear you like the new look. And my slightly younger eyes also appreciate the larger font sizes.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 11 months ago

Brent, It was a good feature to be able to see most recent articles when reading an article. That ability is lost. Now one must return to the homepage to see if there are newer articles.

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

OK, my eyes are not that old so I must just be stupid. Where is the reader comment section? The one that used to come up so you can look back for days to see what others are talking about? I can't seem to find it, I know I am not blind.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

I used to like the classifieds popping up in a new browser window, leaving the Today alone, and not replacing it. I would think you the Pilot would prefer it that way, and I won't insult your intelligence by telling you how to do it. I can only look at one thing at a time anyway...

James Earley, MCSE 1 year, 11 months ago

Well Rhys, hop on that Dell and fire up IE 9 - right click the Classified link and select "Open in new tab". Voilà!

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

James -- Lo and Behold, that works with Firefox on Linux too!! Thank you!! An extra click, but what the heck. I'd do target=blank, myself, in the source.

You reveal a skeleton in my closet -- working from the command line for over 35 years and to this date, I've come at browsers and graphics from the back end, still short on keyboard shortcuts. 'Scuse me, but I'm an applications programmer, dammit, from back before computers were fun.

That said... I thoroughly enjoyed using the GIMP last night to put a slideshow in my website -- Meteor Slides, a free WordPress plugin -- and I got to use my TV experience in the composition and editing -- timing, transitions, etc -- who says computers can't be fun?

It looks cool on the Dell's Windows too, even with IE. Kernigan and McGee are GODS!!

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Correction: Kernigan and Ritchie, "The C Programming Language"

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Pilot: One more request: Could you restore the Activities calendar applet to the right panel of non-main (article) pages? Otherwise we have to go back to Page 1 to see what's going on. A small request; there's room.

Now a brief word of explanation re/my hero choices. While Kahn and Cerf can be credited with devising the TCP/IP protocols which make the Internet possible (they were creating the first versions when I was learning IBM DOS COBOL) those -- and the whole Unix platform -- were possible because of Kernigan and Ritchie's C language, which still runs the Internet show. (And the whole thing sprang out of DARPA, a Defense project.)

I couldn't care less about hardware; if it's fast enough to play my music and do graphics at the same time, that's fine with me -- I let GoDaddy worry about speed and volume, for the production sites. Software is where it's at, teaching the machine new tricks.

Would that applet be too much to ask for?

Scott Wedel 1 year, 11 months ago

user id "kmm"? So pseudo anonymous posting is allowed again?

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks for the calendar!!

Now Scott has a point: While I'm sure everyone misses the Highwaystar -- who is kmm?

Nicole Miller 1 year, 11 months ago

rhys jones and Scott Wedel - The anonymous comment was allowed because of a glitch in the new site. We should have it fixed.

Assistant Editor Nicole Miller, nmiller@SteamboatToday.com

Scott Wedel 1 year, 11 months ago

Brent,

This automatic formatting is obnoxious. First it reformats and the window below does not accurately show how it will be shown.

"Thanks, Rhys. Happy to hear you like the new look ..." Is that how you wrote it? Or was "Thank Rhys," on one line and the "Happy ..." on the next line? But while it will show that in the window below, it then combines them when posting.

Meanwhile, the window below shows everything as double spaced and removes blank lines while the posted message is single spaced and allows for there to be one blank line.

Also, the "Post Comment" above left does nothing, and only the "Post Comment" on the below right works.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Scott -- I would have complained about the same thing, until I discovered that, although the text shown below the entry box does not accurately reflect newline or characters (even that symbol I just quoted -- hee hee, let's see if we get a newline there (refer to my earlier "escape" cartoon)) you can be assured they are there.

So this line should come out double-spaced. Despite whatever is shown below.

David -- The way I get to the recent comment pages is, i've got steamboatttoday.com/discussions/stories/ bookmarked -- "Favorites" be ye of IE bent. Notice those pretty / Unix directories?

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Well that experiment mostly worked, except for the main thing: I wanted to see if the carriage-return character I typed in spawned a new line instead, and one would have occurred there anyway. Since it disappeared, I assume it worked. Now let's try this. Then
this.

Maybe Tyler will enjoy this repeat now, it somehow being relevant:

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks for responding Mr. Jones, at least someone did. I do not have that bookmarked, so how do you get to it now?

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

David -- Just open up an empty browser window (click + (Firefox) or the little empty tab next to your rightmost active tab at the top of your browser window(IE)) then enter that address -- steamboattoday.com/discussions/stories/ -- in the address bar at the top of the new page, which will bring up the Today "Comments on Stories" page which you can bookmark or include in your "Favorites" (IE). Cheerio!!

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

Sweet. Done, and thank you for that tip, sorry I didn't catch on the first time. Computers are as confusing to me as say, surgical procedure is to you. Ever have any thoughts or questions about it, I owe you one. Have a great day, was up last night to shop CPL and get some sushi, looks like y'all got some nice snow:)

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

David -- I don't like needles or knives, so I'm a phrenologist. I suspect an issue with the executive functions of my frontal lobes, am wondering which bumps I should bang -- the ones on the temple, or the ones over my ears? I don't want to end up weird.

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

Lol, just don't bang the bump on the back of your head, messes everything up.