John Bolton, Michelle Malkin commit to Steamboat conference

• All ages / $100 - $450

Past Event

The Steamboat Institute Freedom Conference

• Saturday, August 25, 2012, time TBA
  • The Steamboat Grand, 2300 Mount Werner Circle, Steamboat Springs
  • All ages / $100 - $450

— Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton and conservative columnist and author Michelle Malkin will headline this year’s Freedom Conference hosted by The Steamboat Institute.

The fourth annual conference is scheduled for Aug. 24 and 25 at The Steamboat Grand.

Bolton, whose lengthy legal and diplomatic career perhaps was highlighted by his controversial tenure as the U.S. permanent representative to the United Nations during the presidency of George W. Bush, is a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a commentator on Fox News.

Malkin is a conservative blogger, columnist and frequent guest host and commentator on the Fox News Channel. Her four published books are “Invasion: How America Still Welcomes Terrorists, Criminals and Other Foreign Menaces,” “In Defense of Internment: The Case for Racial Profiling in World War II and the War on Terror,” “Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild” and “Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies.” She lives near Colorado Springs with her husband and two children.

“We’re very excited about this,” Steamboat Institute co-founder and Vice Chairman Rick Akin said. “This is really the earliest we’ve had big-name speakers confirmed. We’re very happy to have speakers of this quality and ones who are anxious to come speak in Steamboat.”

Akin, a Steamboat-based attorney, said Malkin will be the keynote speaker at the Aug. 25 lunch. Other Freedom Conference speakers will be announced soon, he said.

The Steamboat Institute’s website states the organization promotes the “five basic founding principles of this great country: limited government, lower taxes, free markets, strong national defense and individual rights and responsibilities.”

Last year’s Freedom Conference was headlined by nationally syndicated conservative columnist Jonah Goldberg. Other guest presenters included Wall Street Journal senior economic writer Steve Moore; Peter Brookes, senior fellow for national security affairs at The Heritage Foundation; and Freedom Conference moderator Tony Blankley.

In 2010, the Steamboat Institute brought Republican political strategist Karl Rove to town to headline the Freedom Conference.

Tickets for this year’s conference are available online. A full-conference pass costs $250 if purchased by June 30 or $295 if purchased afterward. Those rates are halved for attendees younger than 30. VIP tickets are $400 through June 30 and include access to VIP receptions during the conference, as well as a photo with one of the keynote speakers.

Partial conference tickets also are available, including Aug. 24 only, Aug. 25 only and the Aug. 24 keynote dinner reception. For more information, visit www.steamboatinstitute.org.

To reach Brent Boyer, call 970-871-4221 or email bboyer@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Rob Douglas 2 years, 5 months ago

Excellent line-up just months before one of the most important elections in our nation's history. No matter where your politics reside on the left/right continuum, we can all be proud of how hard the Akins work to bring national political talent to the Yampa Valley at NO COST to local taxpayers.

bill schurman 2 years, 5 months ago

The Akins work hard to bring Fox TV right - wing wackos to their little non-important institute. Just in time before the elections says Rob Douglas. Really, do you really think that anyone attending this seminar will change their vote from Richie Rich (oh how they hate to vote for this pseudo- conservative) ??? As for me I'll be watching MSNBC.

cindy constantine 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed Rob, and John Bolton is one speaker that I will save up to see. Thank you to the Akins for this opportunity. As for you, Bill, it is hard to even respond to such classless comments. Why don't you work to bring a slate of liberal speakers in line with your political leanings for us to listen to since you are retired and have time of your hands? Freedom of speech is a wonderful right Americans have and all debate should be welcomed NOT vilified!! And, Bill, do you feel the same way about all wealthy Americans as you do about Mitt Romney? How about Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and the many other entrepreneurs that are successful Americans.

bill schurman 2 years, 5 months ago

Dear Cindy,

OK you got me, Mitt is REALLY Stevie Stiff. Is that OK? As you might expect I wouldn't walk across the street to listen to these Fox TV right-wingers. Sorry that YOU find my comments to be "classless", but as you say, Freedom of Speech. I doubt that you would waste your time listening to "liberal" speakers as I wouldn't with yours. To each his own.

Steve Lewis 2 years, 5 months ago

MSNBC... FOX….

Whatever you watch, take this measure of it: How does the show spend its airtime? If a major percent is a focus on the "other side" and is always negative, and a minor percent is about your side and is never negative you are probably just coddling yourself - reinforcing what you believed before you turned the thing on.

Do your brain and your IQ a favor. Spend some of your time listening to your opposition's shows. Better than what you might learn anew about your side, you'll form a healthy notion of what slant looks like. And your satisfaction with your own FOX or MSNBC will never be same.

You might even decide the above channels are convincing you how to vote, but doing a very poor job of educating you about the problems in your country, much less about solving them.

To each his own, is a big mistake. Wake up and smell ALL the coffee. If only there was a humorous and conservative equal to the Daily Show. :)

Fred Duckels 2 years, 5 months ago

Again Steve,

I was born a Democrat and my family put FDR next to God, but years of seeking the truth led me to my views absent Fox. Fiscal matters, matter to me and the left could care less, that's one major sticking point. I do watch many views, those that decry Fox I suspect never watch it.

Rick Akin 2 years, 5 months ago

Steve, Better yet, folks should read some of the classics. Coming immediately to mind are: Free to Choose--Milton Friedman Atlas Shrugged--Ayn Rand Wealth of Nations--Adam Smith Or come to the Freedom Conference or any of the monthly 1773 meetings where there is ample opportunity to ask questions.

Steve Lewis 2 years, 5 months ago

Scott Stanford, I see the campaign revenues have begun with this Personal Liberty push poll in your website - i.e. a poll with only a "yes" response offered in its gateway invite.

Its no big deal. Such ads can be expected from either side. And you can expect to see responding advertising. In the 6 months before we vote, you will obviously be presented with more ad buys and the moral and factual boundaries will be pushed further. You will make a lot of needed revenue. I hope you will also turn some down.

If this election goes as negative as we hear it will, we will all eventually wish some threshold of decency could be applied by the networks. Possibly by our newspaper. Could you venture a policy now that you intend to uphold going forward?

mark hartless 2 years, 5 months ago

What other response to the question of "personal liberty" should there be? What kind of creature would vote "no" to personal liberty?

"The Threshold of Decency Act of 2012"... That'll shut 'em up...

"...venture a policy now that you intend to uphold"? The first ammendment "policy" just not good enough?

"Ventura Highway in the Threshold of Decency..." Where the speech is nicer, the mood is brighter than mooooooonshine...

jerry carlton 2 years, 5 months ago

Rick I would like to add one book to your list of suggested classics. The biggest seller ever The Holy Bible.

Rick Akin 2 years, 5 months ago

Excellent suggestion, Jerry. My point in suggesting the reading is that watching TV is really no way to formulate your views. You really need a foundation in underlying principles and exposure to some historical perspective.

Eric Morris 2 years, 5 months ago

Rick,

Please ask Mr. Bolton to discuss extensively why he personally avoided war in Vietnam (to me the correct course) and badmouthed it ("I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy. I considered the war in Vietnam already lost.") yet advocates (warmongering is what this combat veteran calls it) that the current generation die in Iraq, Persia, or Afghanistan. And what does making war in the middle east have to do with "national defense," "freedom," or the "founding principles," as your organization espouses?

Sincerely,

Eric S. Morris

Rick Akin 2 years, 5 months ago

Eric, you might be surprised how aggressive the questioning is at these events. I encourage you to come and direct those questions. Right now I am not sure what time slot Bolton will be in, but we will announce it before long.

Eric Morris 2 years, 5 months ago

Rick, why would I pay money to support your organization when after reviewing it further it is just another neocon front piece. How does interning people based on their race during World War II promote "individual rights and responsibilities?" Karl Rove, John Bolton, Ms. Malkin, and Jonah Goldberg all love to cluck for more war yet never served overseas. If it clucks like a chicken and struts like a hawk it must be a ...

Rick Akin 2 years, 5 months ago

I am not sure what it is that Eric reviewed, but you can see our principles at our website, www.steamboatinstitute.org. Also, if you look under the Past Events tab, you can literally see every Freedom Conference speaker that we have ever had, and you will see nationally- regarded speakers in a variety of areas. Despite what Eric seems to believe, we are hardly making a secret of who we are and what we stand for, which, by the way, does not include unconstitutional internment.

Eric Morris 2 years, 5 months ago

I am comparing your principle of "individual rights and responsibilities" against the title of one of Ms. Malkin's books mentioned in the article: “In Defense of Internment: The Case for Racial Profiling in World War II and the War on Terror.” Most of your speakers, save Dan Mitchell, advocate war in all its costly gory. A large standing and very active (imperialistic) army is anathema to "limited government."

mark hartless 2 years, 5 months ago

Eric is, of course, exactly right. Big government abroad is absolutely incompatible with small government at home.

Republicans should have a more heightened sense of how wrong this is, but they do not. In fact, their sense of patriotism often seems to override their understanding of the dangerous and malignant nature of imperialism.

When it comes to the use of our military republicans rally, with an almost pavlovian reflex, around behavior they would reject in other venues.

rhys jones 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't see Obama rushing to bring the boys home either -- he just moved the war to another arena. Both parties are pawns of the Federal Reserve, which continues to pad their members' private accounts with money they "earn" by lending us the money to wage these endless wars. Your taxes don't go to the government -- they go to the Fed, to be loaned back to us. They hope to squeeze every dime they can, before the balloon pops.

Rick Akin 2 years, 5 months ago

I have not read Michelle's book on internment, but I did find this bit about it, which sounds interesting http://michellemalkin.com/2004/08/03/in-defense-of-internment-2/. It sounds like she had thought it was an outrage, then on studying it changed her opinion. I will read the book between now and the August conference and report back to you guys. I have learned not to judge a book by its cover.

Eric Morris 2 years, 5 months ago

To use "conservative" jurisprudence, I would love to see the twisted logic where the enumerated powers allow the government to round up a whole mass of people based on race and force them to live in a place against their will. Even an originalist like Scalia would say that kind of activity was banned by the 13th Amendment--besides not being mentioned in Art I, Section 8. I guess Malkin is more of an originalist (before any Amendments) than even Scalia! To her, something like the 4th and 5th Amendments really don't apply when it comes to defending the homeland--which sounds too much like Fatherland to me. I guess the Republicrats love FDR--the Repubs for war and internment and the crats for welfare.

mark hartless 2 years, 5 months ago

I have to tend to agree with Eric again. I don't know how Scalia would rule on internment, but both parties bear responsibility for the mess which has become the endless welfare/ warefare state.

In retrospect, I did not complete my point from 4/20. What I should have included is: When the left cheers for big government domestically it too fools itself because this empowers a government that can't help but cast its power and war abroad. To the extent that the left empowered the leviathan, it bears a huge load of responsibility for America's foreign wars.