Gary Hofmeister: A naive and cynical president

Tony Blankley, The Steamboat Institute’s moderator for the past three years and now its patron saint since he passed away from cancer two months ago, analyzed President Barack Obama in February 2009, shortly after he was inaugurated. In a private conversation at his home, he deemed Obama a strange combination of naive and cynical. I have thought about it often in the ensuing three years while witnessing Obama’s behavior, and it once again attests to Tony’s brilliant insights.

The naivete certainly isn’t hard to recognize simply from a foreign policy perspective. Of course, Obama’s not much different from any egotistical politician who thinks he has gifts no one else has been endowed with, and thus his insights and charm can tame the worst monsters on the planet while the rest of us poor devils are just clueless. Iran building a nuclear bomb? Just let them know we understand their previous fears from the maniac George W. Bush, and they will turn over to have us scratch their soft underside. Al-Qaida flying planes into skyscrapers? They probably just don’t know that we are more than empathetic to their religion of peace, Islam. Bashar Assad mowing down his own people in the streets of Syria? Heck, this guy is a reformer who just needs some support.

In case you haven’t noticed, it hasn’t quite worked out that way. Perhaps it’s because of the liberal tendency to ignore true evil in the world, which halts only when confronted with equal or superior power. Tyrants and mass murderers love narcissistic types who think they possess magic to negotiate peace because they realize they can ease the knife into their backs while both still are smiling. And the saddest aspect is, the guy with the dagger in his back still thinks he was winning the argument as he keels over in the soup.

The cynical part has become so clear in the past few months that I am only one of hundreds of folks I’ve spoken with who hardly can stand to watch or listen to our forked-tongue president. Former Sen. Bob Kerrey made the observation a few years ago that Bill Clinton was “an exceptionally good liar.” What a piker! Obama tells so many more whoppers any day of the week that he makes Clinton look like an honest man. You can see why the Chicago pols latched onto this youngster years ago. With his smooth and innocent demeanor, he can switch gears to contradict himself in a nanosecond without taking a full breath in between. The latest performance — claiming to be for the Keystone Pipeline by declaring he was instructing his administration to hop-scotch over the red tape to finish the Nebraska leg of the pipeline when he had nothing to do with it and still was holding up the real part of the deal — should have turned him crimson red if he had any shame. His declaration of supposedly mandating insurance companies to pay for contraceptives, sterilizations and abortifacients as if that eliminated all costs would have been laughable if it didn’t make it obvious how stupid he thinks we are. The list is endless.

So perhaps Obama’s naivete has receded somewhat, though surely not fast enough. But at this point, he seems to have learned that words can only go so far when you are dealing with powerful people armed with evil intentions. Yet cynicism has taken up that slack and is on steroids full speed ahead. The mendacity insults my brain and wounds my soul. I am not alone.

Gary Hofmeister is a member of The Steamboat Institute and owns Hofmeister Personal Jewelers in downtown Steamboat Springs.

Comments

Rob Douglas 2 years ago

While I have nothing but respect for the late Tony Blankley, I believe he was far too charitable in his assessment of our president. Cynical? Perhaps. Naive? Not at all. President Obama knows exactly what he's doing as he intentionally destroys this country. For me, the pundit who has come the closest to illuminating the political philosophy that drives Obama is Dinesh D'Souza. In "The Roots Of Obama's Rage," D'Souza makes the case that Obama is motivated by the anticolonialist view of the United States that he inherited from his father. In D'Souza's words: "What really motivates Barack Obama is an inherited rage—an often masked, but profound rage that comes from his African father; an anticolonialist rage against Western dominance, and most especially against the wealth and power of the very nation Barack Obama now leads." The Roots Of Obama's Rage is a worthwhile read. It captures and exposes the true motivation behind the destructive policies of Obama.

mark hartless 2 years ago

I have to agree with Mr Douglas. This is not naive. Nor do I think he is alone when he walks the halls of congress. The skill with which this man manipulates the dumb-masses' baser instincts rivals some of history's most infamous leaders. With the help of the sheeple he is bringing us scenes from Mad Max and Road Warrior.

Kevin Chapman 2 years ago

It could be said that "evil" is how some folks around the world categorize our incessant belief that democracy is the one and only way to have a successful government. I find it funny how conservatives like to play off of the fears that we must "tame" the world and thus rid this world of it's evils. Honestly it smells of exactly how England treated this country while holding it as colonies of the empire. Mr. Douglas your rhetoric of Obama being full of rage and that rage stemming from an angry African father is laughable and frankly borders on racism. It took me some time to accept that Bush didn't truly want to ruin our country but only ran it as he saw fit, and maybe you will get to that same point one day. You guys are ridiculous, and about as narcissistic as anyone i have ever come across.

Fred Duckels 2 years ago

Rob, Do you suppose his father had a thing about budgets too?

Jimmy Carter was a bumbler with his foot in his mouth constantly, but I think that he meant well. When I watched Clinton speak I disagreed but marveled that this was one smooth operator. Obama is a con man pandering to the lowest denominator. I will give him one thing, he sounds like the lord when he spews his venom. If we had a media that was objective this school yard bully would be mothing more than that. Can you imagine the uproar if W had killed Bin Laden? Guantanamo now is "in".

This upcoming election will lower the bar beyond our comprehension as the left clings to the welfare state.

mark hartless 2 years ago

Kevin, With all due respect... I do not and, to my knowledge, have never stated that democracy was the only successful form of government. You and I agree. In fact most of the founders of this country hated and feared it. Madison said it was "the most vile form of government... and [democracies] have been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths." Fisher Ames, framer of the First Ammendment, said democracy was something which "...the ambitious call, and the ignorant believe to be liberty."

Others have said democracy is "two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for dinner".

Nor have I ever said America needs to deliver democracy or any other form of government to other nations. In fact, I agree with what I think is your sentiment that America should stay out of their affairs.

I think where we disagree is comparing Bush to Obama. As far as I am concerned Bush was not a good president. He was bad for this country. But I would compare him more to Jimmy Carter than to Barack Obama. You see, Carter and Bush were just stupid, not evil. Obama, on the other hand, I would compare more to Woodrow Wilson who was evil and who set about to destroy the constitution.

Jon Quinn 2 years ago

Rob Douglas works hard every day to discredit himself and his conservative cause. Today he more than excelled at the task. Interesting, by the way, that Rob would criticize anyone for having a rage problem....

Kevin is absolutely correct Rob, your comments sound terribly racist. The idea that any man would endeavor to destroy our nation because of his African heritage and "rage" issues is insulting and well below even your standards. It seems that those who preach for the right are just happy to return to their comfort zone of fear-mongering and silly conspiracy theories.

How long is it going you all to realize that the answers to our political dysfunction are not going to come from the right wing or the left wing? Both the "left" and the "right" suffer from a severe case of rectal cranial inversion, and it is the job of the majority of level headed citizens to push politics back towards the middle again.

Fred Duckels 2 years ago

Jon, Rob is referring to another mans idea, would'nt if be fair to read the referenced book before commenting with such venom. It is possible that some good reasoning might surface. I like to hear ideas and am not offended by what others might think.

jerry carlton 2 years ago

My opinion: Carter= Worst president in my lifetime. Busch=Second worst. Clinton=Most Immormal. Last Great President=Harry Truman because he had enough guts to Nuke the Japanese. Obama=Ask me in 10 years if I am still alive.

Brian Kotowski 2 years ago

Obama is the worst president of my lifetime. Quite an accomplishment, as I never anticipated anyone could eclipse Carter in that regard.