Monday Medical: Vaccines help protect the community

— A letter to the editor published in the Sept. 3 Steamboat Today titled “The right thing to do” focused on the importance of childhood immunizations.

It was signed by 29 physicians and health care providers. Follow-up discussion has highlighted additional information about this issue.

“Recently, a case of the measles came through the Denver airport,” said Dana Fitzgerald, M.D., a pediatrician with Pediatrics of Steamboat Springs. “Although we are an isolated community, we still see these diseases that are preventable — whooping cough and chicken pox, for example.

“If you talk to doctors, you will likely hear that they have seen children who died or became severely ill from vaccine-preventable diseases. It is important for parents to know that vaccines save lives.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, infant immunizations have had an enormous effect on improving children’s health.

Anne Schuchat, M.D., assistant surgeon general and director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, reports that routine childhood immunizations save 42,000 lives and prevent 20 million cases of disease each year.

Although vaccine-preventable diseases are not common in the U.S., they persist across the world. Outbreaks of measles are at record levels in Europe, and the U.S. is experiencing a record number of imported cases this year, raising the threat of spread in local communities, the CDC reports.

The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that many diseases do not occur or spread as much as they used to, thanks to better nutrition, less crowded living conditions, antibiotics and, most importantly, vaccines. However, the Academy states this does not mean the bacteria and viruses responsible for these diseases have disappeared.

“Because there has been a decrease in diseases such as polio, measles or pneumococcal pneumonia, many parents don’t recognize that the diseases may still surface,” said David Niedermeier, M.D., a family medicine physician with Steamboat Medical Group.

“The reason we don’t know anyone who has experienced polio or whooping cough is that over the years, the vaccinations for these serious diseases have been very effective,” he said.

“The vast majority of physicians support the current guidelines for vaccinations recommended by the CDC because the guidelines are based on studies done on huge populations with excellent data.”

Janice Poirot, R.N., public health nurse at the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association also is an advocate of immunization.

“Vaccines are a safe and effective method of protecting your child, and at the same time they protect the entire community from the spread of serious diseases,” she said.

Dot Haberlan, R.N., head nurse for School Health Services for Routt County Public Schools, works in schools to provide vaccines to children.

“We try and make it as easy as we can for children to be immunized,” Haberlan said.

“As employees of the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association, we bring immunizations into the schools, and we help families who need financial assistance.

“Parents should know that all our children in Routt County Public schools are in compliance with the Colorado law, which means they are up-to-date on their immunizations or their parents have signed the exemption,” Haberlan said.

“If there is some kind of outbreak ... the students who have not been immunized will be excluded from school for the length of the outbreak. Students can miss as much as three to four weeks of school if that happens. This is another good reason to have your child immunized.”

Information on the topic is abundant on the Web. “Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation in the media and on the Web about vaccines,” Niedermeier said. “We recommend basing health care decisions on sound science.”

The family physician said parents can use several reliable sources to gather information on vaccines, schedules and updates, including the CDC at www.cdc.gov, the American Association of Pediatricians at www.aap.org, Colorado Children’s Immunization Coalition at www.immunizeforgood.com, or the Colorado Department of Health at www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/immunization/Vaccinate.

Rosie Kern is a communications specialist at Yampa Valley Medical Center. She can be reached at rosie.kern@yvmc.org.

Comments

HowardRoark 3 years ago

It is sad that the writer of this article quotes Anne Schuchat, M.D, a mouthpiece for big pharma. She was the talking head promoting the H1N1 fear, and stood to profit greatly from the vaccine agenda of big pharma. The CDC is a revolving door for CEO's in big pharma. Let me break it down for you; She is trained in med school by big pharma, she worked at the CDC and was responsible for creating a vaccine schedule that big pharma profits from, then she leaves the CDC after making big pharma lots of $ and then goes to work for the same pharmaceutical company that she made money for. This article is a joke, and Dana Fitzgerald should lose her medical liscence for her callous disregard concerning vaccines and the harm that they do. The people that promote vaccines tout herd immunity, as if we are cows. They advocate that it is greater to vaccinate everyone for the greater good. Tell that to a mother and father that had their child stolen by a measels vaccine. Kids rarely die of measels, and chicken pox! Give me a break! Vaccines can't protect a child against chicken pox the way their natural immunity would had they been allowed to work through the illness as so many others have in the past. The doctors promoting this rely on junk science created by big pharma, for big pharma. Vaccines make the pharmaceuitical industry over 30 billion annually. It is unfortunate that the medical community enjoys a cognitive dissonance regarding vaccines. People that tell you that vaccines are safe and do no harm are either lying to you, or are ignorant, and in either case, that is not a person you should trust your health or the health of your child with.

sashas 3 years ago

Mr. Roark, While I completely agree with you, as I too have done my homework; however, I think you were a bit harsh aiming at Dr. Fitzgerald. It seems as though the doctors need to be deprogrammed from what they’ve been listening to since med school and need to relearn the industry in an effort to see the corruption links. You and I could go on and on pointing out videos, articles, testimonies, etc,. and these doctors seem to have nothing to say about them. They truly trust the publications they’re reading, and rather than following the money and testimonies, they believe what’s shoved down their throat. The problem is that there is corruption in every governmental agency; it’s all about money. I, too, was dealt a good line about big corporations when working on my MBA. Schools have ethics classes, but instead incorporating these ethics into current issues in the industry or even having an assignment of finding an ethical instability, you are just told to be an ethical business/medical/whatever person. It wasn’t until after my MBA, when I started doing much research regarding all aspects of the global spider web. This is when I saw corruption in all the wonderful corporations I analyzed, the medical industry, food industry, all the gov. agencies etc. This stuff wasn’t learned in school. What I’m trying to say is that it takes many years of research to come to these conclusions, such as being a vaccine opponent. Through research and understanding which publications and organizations you can trust, I feel that anyone would come to the same conclusions. It just takes a LOT of time. These aren’t quick and non thought out decisions, such as not vaccinating. Most of us opponents have done much homework. It is just very frustrating to constantly see vaccines being pushed and makes it hard to keep silent regarding the horrible information I’ve stumbled upon. And I unfortunately find something new every day.

Jessica Horne 3 years ago

Dr Fitzgerald and the other physcians of Steamboat Pediatric have been caring for my son for the past 2 years and my nephews for even longer. I fully respect them as physicians and know that they always provide the best care for my son because they care, that's why they became pediatricians. The above comment states that the Drs are only trusting the publications they are reading but arent you doing the same. The biggest difference though is the Drs also get to see first hand the pros and cons of vaccinations in there everyday job. At the end of the day though, it's us as parents responsibilities to do what we feel is best for our kids. I will however continue looking to Steamboat Pediatrics for guidance on my decisions.

sashas 3 years ago

What I was trying to state, Jessica, is that doctors receive many documents to read through; however, much of it is from big pharma and governmental organizations, and unfortunately most of this cannot be trusted. It's all the supposed "excellent journal articles" that I was pushed to read so thoroughly and only use in my papers in college. Why don't they or can't we look into other sources and bring them up for a truly meaningful discussion? There's a reason the government won't publish various studies, and that's because they don't want people to know the truth of things because it would put a damper on incoming money.

That's just like all the natural cancer cures, which aren't discussed in the mainstream and why many people have opened cancer clinics in Mexico and Ecuador, for example, since the USA won't allow their type of treatment. Plus, they cannot patent a natural cure, so there would be no money going to all involved in the medical industry. That’s why they had to patent synthetic marijuana, which actually caused harm. Also, in 2009, the FDA kidnapped Greg Caton in Ecuador, who followed in Hoxsey’s footsteps and made a salve called Cansema used for skin cancer. He served two years in prison and was even in Parade magazine’s World’s Most Wanted along with Osama Bin Laden. What a crock of crap that is; he can legally sell that in Ecuador. Here’s a link to an article talking about it: http://www.naturalnews.com/033573_FDA_abduction.html

sashas 3 years ago

(continued) Everything needs to be questioned before coming to a conclusion, and that's going through the tons of documents out there and not just the CDC, FDA, excellent journal resources, and pharmaceutical documents. Look, I didn't just say one day, "I oppose vaccines." It started with other corruption research and one vaccine book, which led me to do more research, which continues to this day. When I started seeing the monetary payouts and correlation between big pharma workers and government workers, that also flagged my distrust in many aspects of the medical industry. I don't expect you to fully understand where I'm coming from; however, when a person begins doing lots of research regarding various topics, she starts to see that many of the "proper" articles cannot be trusted. I just wish more doctors would look into the larger scope of things because there is so much corruption going on in every industry, with many connections.

When my son was born, I was flabbergasted at the vaccine agenda. I had no idea that it was going to be sprung upon him immediately. Ask yourself why a 12 hour old baby would need a Hepatitis B vaccine. I don’t expect him to be having sex and shooting heroin at that age. And chicken pox? Come on, really?

Look, I think doctors can do a lot of good and that Dr. Fitzgerald does truly care about the kids. I just don’t like this agenda being pushed, and people like me will continue to fight back encouraging others to do their homework. I would like the doctors to actually state that issues could arise. Although vaccine complications do not arise with every child, it depends upon their gene make up, and I don’t want to risk my child’s gene make up being the one that gets autism, allergies, asthma, SIDS, gastrointestinal disease, etc. Plus, I don’t think fetal tissue, heavy metals, and all the other horrible ingredients in vaccines are acceptable.

On an ending note, I am looking for a naturopathic doctor. Does anyone know of one in the Steamboat area?

Jessica Horne 3 years ago

this is a link to the state assoctiona site for Naturopathic Drs http://www.coloradond.org/findnd.htm

lovetopedal 3 years ago

Michelle Hana Linet is a great Naturopathic in Steamboat. She comes from a family of medical doctors and has great insight into vacinnes! And, she is a mom!

david niedermeier 3 years ago

"Follow the money" seems to be a recurring theme. I would completely agree that in medicine there exist significant conflicts of interest, as in many other professions. Just because a conflict of interest exists does not mean that it shapes your behavior or makes a product or treatment choice wrong- medically or ethically. Do you distrust the makers of abs brakes, helmets, guard rails, ground wires, climbing ropes or releasable bindings because they stand to make a profit on protecting you from harm? Obviously not. (What about MMJ for that matter-I'm surprised there was no MMJ reference 6 comments in yet) So, do we need good science, ideally from independent researchers regarding vaccines? Absolutely. Can we write off vaccines as evil because someone is making money from them? Obviously not.

Ronald Famiglietti 3 years ago

To clarify some of the points above, and not contribute to more misinformation on the web: 1. Contemporary medical education puts a tremendous emphasis on developing a comprehensive understanding of biostatistics and being very critical of therapies including the use of medications and vaccines. This distinguishes allopathic physicians from other caregivers, ie, the need to prove a therapy is causing more benefit than harm before recommending the therapy. Most contemporary physicians disregard studies published by a pharmaceutical company, "big-pharma" (we hate them too.) 2. Hepatitis B in newborns does not come from heroin or sex, but from mothers, household members, and other children with Hepatitis B. It is much easier to become infected as a newborn than as an older child or adult, and has more serious consequences when contracted as a newborn. This is why the vaccination is recommended to newborns.

sashas 3 years ago

Jessica, I couldn't find any naturopathic doctors (in Steamboat) with a web search, but I do appreciate the link.

Lovetopedal, Thanks for the referral, as I revealed above, I couldn't find one with a web search, and if there ever is a time I need a doctor, I'd prefer to go that route, and would love to speak with Dr. Michelle Hana.

Gol, In response to your comment, "Can we write off vaccines as evil because someone is making money from them? Obviously not." There is just so much more to it than that with so many interminglings amongst companies. There are a lot of scary things going on out there, which I'm sure you are aware of.

Ronfam, Good point on the Hep B, as there is more to it than the child's future acts. For me, possible complications of the vaccine are too much to risk. Also, if you are pro vaccine, this vaccine seems dependent upon what the child's surroundings will be. I'm a stay at home Mother, and even though we do get out, my child doesn't have what I would consider such contact with people that would contract Hep B.

mtroach 3 years ago

Sasah, how would you know if the people you expose your child to are not carring hep B? Good luck gambeling with your child's life.

freerider 3 years ago

OK

here's s fun little article blowing the lid off vaccines , so now they put aluminum in them

which is more toxic than mercury according to this ...hey make up your own mind on this one http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/21/could-this-be-the-most-dangerous-aspect-of-vaccines.aspx

Remember these are the same people that kill tens of thousands of innocent victims each year with pharmaceuticals drugs telling you there voodoo is safe

I have personally had a tendon rupture from ciproflaxin they gave me for an infection one time , now I always turn to alternative

By the way the FDA now wants to make holistic supplements illegal That's right they want to take away your vitamins

This is being paid for by lobbyists from the AMA

freerider 3 years ago

Legal drugs now kill more people than die on the hi- ways each year there is no passion to fix that problem but what a rant and roll over marijuana that helps thousands of cancer patients among others ....

Getting off topic here , so here's another link that really takes down the vaccines

Scott Wedel 3 years ago

It is amazing to me that you think that doctors who've taken all that education and training have no minds of their own and would so willingly allowed their patients to be harmed.

S_G30 3 years ago

Don't be to surprised Scott, Roark thinks the goverment blew up the World Trade Center on 911...He showed a cartoon to prove it..

freerider 3 years ago

Scott go ahead take the kool-aid

It's amazing to me someone that thinks he's an expert at everything buys into mainstream brainwashing

you obviously have no mind of your own

freerider 3 years ago

Scott

typical response from you very predictable- if you don't like the message shoot the messenger

david niedermeier 3 years ago

Freerider: "It's interesting that medical schools teach nothing about preventive medicine or how to stay healthy , nothing zero it's drugs , drugs , drugs and more drugs from day one"

Maybe you went to a second rate medical school, or didn't make it past day one.

Completely false assertion.

Scott Wedel 3 years ago

I shot messengers? I thought I was making a point that this theory of killer vaccines requires that doctors are highly trained and highly educated, and yet apparently do not care that their patients are being hurt.

sashas 2 years, 12 months ago

S_G30, You actually don't have any questions regarding the official 9/11 story? There are a lot of fishy things that occurred, and these things need to be brought to light.

Jeff_Kibler 2 years, 12 months ago

I just got off the phone. My friend's Dad just died. Complications due to post-polio syndrome. Jonas Salk did some amazing things, but in this case he was a bit too late for Larry when he was young and crippled.

The lack of a "killer" vaccine is what killed him.

S_G30 2 years, 12 months ago

Fine, just don't show a cartoon to prove it. It is disrespectful to the people that died that day. If you are going to make a claim like that, you better be able to back it up. I have seen nothing credible in this regard and I have a feeling that I never will..

rhys jones 2 years, 12 months ago

S_G430 -- Got a minute for some real life? The first link happens real fast, and shows a clean, professional implosion of WTC7, not collateral damage, the company line:

How about this guy, making tracks away, after he witnessed an explosion near the elevator shaft in the WTC where he was working, helped pull a guy away from that:

No cartoons -- how can you deny reality??

rhys jones 2 years, 12 months ago

I was looking for evidence of the girders being cut at 45-degree angles -- still hunting there -- when I ran across this, wondering how 4-ton girders were cast 600 feet, exploring the physics and explanations of that one:

Scott Wedel 2 years, 12 months ago

Well, as was shown on the Red Dwarf tv show, multiple time traveling JFKs shot himself from both the book depository and the grassy knoll. And that is why those shooters were never found because it created a time paradox and the time traveling shooters ceased to exist upon JFK's death.

Though, it is funny how conspiracies are "proven" by claiming there are questions that need to be answered while their conspiracy theories themselves never have to answer questions.

Quick check on wiki finds all sort of supporting evidence that wtc7 was burning, had no water pressure to fight the fires, had observed structural failure (bulging where beam was pushed off supports), that led to collapse of lower floors and so upper floors fell intact to the ground. The fire dept initially fought the fires, saw signs of structural failure and so abandoned the building prior to its collapse.

Oh well, if the anti-vaccine crew are also that sort of conspiracy crew then there is nothing that can ever be said to convince them.

rhys jones 2 years, 12 months ago

I see little resemblance between 9/11 and immunizations. I wasn't even part of this discussion, until I saw a splash off my starboard bow, thought I'd return a volley.

I stand by my girders -- look closely at those cuts.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 12 months ago

Or maybe those were support points where the welds held and broke the beam.

So how were the NYFD in on your theory? No shortage of documentation that they were in the building and left when they saw structural issues developing. On same day that so many of their coworkers were killed they quickly decided to implode another building?

rhys jones 2 years, 12 months ago

Only thermite -- or thermate -- read the article -- can melt those girders like that. That required planning and pre-wiring. The WTC was shut down the weekend prior to 9/11 for just that purpose. Those 4-ton girders (previous video) were most logically cast 600 feet by separate explosions. That guy (last video) witnessed one of these explosions. It was MANY explosions which brought down the Twin Towers. There are other videos, easily found with Google, showing debris exiting the towers well ahead of the general collapse, apparently also separate explosions -- I didn't think I should pollute this forums with those links too. Keep the wool over your eyes, your head in the sand. I don't care.

S_G30 2 years, 12 months ago

I don't think in this day and age that it would be possible to keep this quite. People can create any situation they want, look at global warming, given they have a audience and a stage. This all looks like a bunch of BS to me, created to keep people that want something like this happy. I think it's funny that a bunch of people just happened to be videoing the exact spots in these huge building that these "explosions" happened. I'm sure the guy in the WTC heard a lot more than 1 explosion, 2 planes hit skyscrapers. I'm done with this...

rhys jones 2 years, 12 months ago

He also pulled a victim from the subterranean rubble. Don't let me ruffle your illusions. See ya!!

rhys jones 2 years, 12 months ago

And it's not quite quiet -- the proof is there, for those willing to look. Global Warming does not present nearly the threat of the Federal Reserve. Once they eliminated Kennedy, in late '63, they could replace real money with Federal Reserve notes, in '64, then proceed to mortgage all our gold from Ft. Knox, which was relocated to -- you guessed it -- the Twin Towers. Steve Jobs reported heavy rumbling on the inaccessible floor above him, the weekend prior to 9/11 when the WTC was closed for rewiring, but he was there.

Yeah, we're crazy; imagining all this. Life would be so much simpler, if I hadn't seen what I have. I WISH I still believed in the farce, but I can't unlearn things, or pull the wool far enough to cover my eyes.