2011 Sailors boys tennis schedule
- Aug. 19: Steamboat 6, Montrose 1; Steamboat 5, Durango 2
- Aug. 20: Steamboat 5, Aspen 2
- Aug. 25: Steamboat 4, Boulder 3
- Aug. 27: Kent Denver 5, Steamboat 2
- Sept. 7: Steamboat 4, Air Academy 3
- Sept. 9 and 10: Steamboat takes 1st in singles, 2nd in doubles at the Western Slope Open
- Sept. 16: Cheyenne Mountain 5, Steamboat 2; Steamboat 6, Mullen 1
- Sept. 17: Steamboat 5, Fossil Ridge 2
- Sept. 22: vs. Colorado Academy
- Oct. 1: Niwot 6, Steamboat 1
- Oct. 7 and 8: Steamboat tennis sends whole team to state
- Oct. 13 to 15: Steamboat has rough first day at state
The Steamboat Springs High School boys tennis team split a pair of matches Friday, falling to Cheyenne Mountain before beating Mullen.
In the first match of the day, Steamboat lost to Cheyenne Mountain, 5-2.
The Sailors picked up wins at No. 1 singles from Jamey Swiggart and No. 2 singles from Luke Farny.
“I know that we’re better than that as a team,” Steamboat coach John Aragon said.
In the second match, a 6-1 win against Mullen, Steamboat got wins from Swiggart and Farny as well as No. 3 singles player Colin Green, the No. 2 doubles team of Gabri Erspamer and Stefan Sortland, No. 3 doubles team of Quinn Cain and Corbin Diehl and the No. 4 doubles team of Karsten Thompson and Ben Wharton.
“They’ll be a different team” today, Aragon said.
The team next plays at 9:30 a.m. today at Fossil Ridge.