Harriet Freiberger: We remember

photo

File Photo

Harriet Freiberger

Sunday, where two towers once stood, water cascades down the sides of two square pools, footprints of those giants. No longer do we see the massive piles of tangled steel and concrete that formed before our eyes 10 years ago. Instead, hundreds of oak trees line paths that guide us out of the city’s noisy, fast-paced energy and into a quiet open space, the 9/11 Memorial Glade. Hesitant, then looking upward toward the sky, we let ourselves go back in time. Even before the images return, tears moisten our eyes, and we remember.

This hallowed place of memory, unlike the pyramids of old, contains no bodies. Ashes of those who died on that day 10 years ago became part of the dust that either settled into a gaping hole where the giants had been or spread into the air which New York’s millions breathed. The dead became part of the city’s humanity and, indeed, part of all of us Americans. Only their names are left, letters incised into bronze panels along the walls surrounding reflecting pools. One hundred years from now, the aged metal will represent whatever we who witnessed that day’s horrors have succeeded in preserving.

To keep our past, we tell our children the stories of parents, grandparents and others who shaped our lives. As a community, as a nation, and as global citizens, we learn about older and wider connections, that which we call history. Through language and the arts, our shared knowledge enlarges. Singly and together, families and cultures intertwine. Through electronic images, we view and can understand what is happening on the other side of the planet or in the space station that circles Earth.

When we watched TV that September morning, two planes crashed into the north and south towers of the World Trade Center; another penetrated the Pentagon’s fortress walls. A fourth, failing in its attempt to reach its target, exploded into a Pennsylvania valley. I felt as though an armed intruder had broken through the door into my living room. Didn’t all of us sense that unfamiliar vulnerability?

This particular day in our history made us witnesses to a wrongdoing that lies far outside our comprehension. Murderers struck, and death took on new meaning when we saw people jump from windows 100 floors above city streets rather than await suffocation and flames. Others disappeared along with the buildings. No final resting place received those who were taken from us.

They were daughters and sons, fathers and mothers, loved by those who now remember and hold fast to a last smile or hug, a last morning walk out the front door, a voiced “I love you” that became what would be a final goodbye. Yet those who perished that day are also ours, and we, too, seek solace in keeping those 2,983 individuals — the men, women and children who perished at the hands of terrorists. They were crew members and passengers of planes, emergency workers, first responders, military personnel and folks who were starting a new day at work.

A monument bears their names, but we the living shall carry their spirit along with the full impact of the evil that ended their lives. Marking the trauma of that day as it has marked out lives, we must pursue with renewed optimism the dream that America represents — freedom for ourselves without diminishing that of others.

As a new tower rises out of a forest of green and upward into the skies above New York City, the Sept. 11 of the past merges into the future. Our footprints follow the giants.

Harriet Freiberger has lived in the Elk River Valley since 1982.

Comments

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, evil still exists, and closer to home than many may imagine.

kathy foos 2 years, 7 months ago

It odd that Osama Bin Laden was killed and dumped into the ocean like fish bait this year,the Navy Seals that conducted the operation have died in a coptor crash recently on a different mission and people don't mention their sacrifices along with other soldiers familys that are still sacrificing lives for revenge for this horrible 911 act.When will people stop the killing revenge?Thanks to our service people caught up in 911 revenge.Can it be OVER now?

sedgemo 2 years, 7 months ago

Sun, with all due respect, we all wish it never happened, but it will never be over.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

@ sun:

It'll be over when they stop trying to kill or subjugate everyone with whom they disagree.

"Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us." ~ Golda Meir, 1957

1999 2 years, 7 months ago

thousands of soldiers have died in battles..

please ...can we remember them too?

the people that died on 9/11 were victims.

the men and women who have fought for our freedom are the real heros.

why do the people who died that day get more money and sympathy than the people who have actually put their lives on the line for our freedom.

jeez...my family didn't get hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation when my brother died in battle. he didn't get a memorial. no one remembers his name. no one talks about the day he died his family didn't get money no one mourns the day he died no one cares

they are just nameless deaths...its truly heartbreaking for me.

please....lets remember the people who have fought for this country.

I agree that this was a terrible day...but my brothers death isn't marked in any way by anyone but us......and he fought for this country.

we seem to want to latch onto the sadness of "that horrible day" and forget the people who willingly and knowingly go to battle.

lets not forget THEM!

but i guess...that isn't news...... people don't want to know about them

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

sun -- Yeah it is "fishy," how all traces of Osama and his captors have now vanished. Sort of like how many eyewitnesses to the JFK assassination mysteriously died in the near future. Why were there no jet parts found at the Pentagon? Why did Building 7 go down, even though nothing hit it? Cleanly imploded, just like the others. Why did I hear an FAA official say WE shot down Flight 93 over Pennsylvania, ("we had to bring it down") knowing it was headed for the White House, and later "heroic passenger" stories emerge? These are just a few of the questions which still haunt me.

1999 -- I am truly sorry for your loss. Our troops honestly believe they are defending America, and God bless them for that.

1999 2 years, 7 months ago

thanks HWS..they do believe they are defending america. he really did. but he was starting to question the entire operation.

its so sad to me that some bond trader in mahattan gets money for his wife and kids and a huge memeorial and unending services and "we'll never forget"....over and over and over for years and years and years

and my brother gets zip. his kids get zip. his mother gets a flag. no memorial. no remembrance. no annual nothing. no "we'll never forget" for him.

another namless faceless person dead from another stupid war

whether or not we believe in his mission ...he did (at first)

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

@ 1999:

My maternal grandfather died while in American custody, under the provisions of Executive Order 9066. His little brother managed to evade the feds, and enlisted in the 422nd Infantry, where he served at significant cost to his well-being and long term health. Neither my grandfather nor great uncle received the remunerations awarded the "bond trader" you so resent. And it does not disturb me in the slightest that you've never heard of a couple of Americans named Takeshi and Satoru. Me and mine remember them, as I hope you and yours remember your brother; as millions of Americans remember all those whom we have lost in the defense of our way of life. I don't devalue their worth or contributions to this nation because they didn't get "zip"; or because their children or grandchildren didn't get "zip" - assuming you define "zip" as the lack of a financial bounty or some outpouring of national recognition. Me and mine know what they did, and honor them for their contributions. We shall, in fact, Never Forget.

I salute your brother. He (like my gradfather and great-uncle) was a better man than I, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Whoops - the keyboard is smarter than I am. That should have read: 442nd, NOT 422nd.

Facepalm!

1999 2 years, 7 months ago

no one is looking for a "bounty".

nor do I resent the "bond trader"

while the 9/11 memorials have millions and millions of dollars to erect cement towers,

our vets are ignored and cut off from assistance.

I think we have forgotten.

sedgemo 2 years, 7 months ago

1999, so sorry for your loss, and continuing loss. I was married to a soldier and am from an Air Force family so appreciate your sense of unfairness.

911 though, is a larger story. The lost were not soldiers, not necessarily veterans, not necessarily anyone who made a choice to fight, just random people on a weekday morning in their offices, people from many countries other than ours, and likely some who weren't even citizens, which makes the impact of that day more global than local. I saw a photograph last night of a man at the memorial wall, he looked perhaps Ethiopian and his hand was halted on the stone where four people shared the same African last name. It seemed to me the man shared it as well. I cannot imagine losing four family members in one random act of hatred.

I think the entire world shifted on its psychological axis that day.

Kevin Nerney 2 years, 7 months ago

1999-- I think your anger is misguided and misplaced. I would certainly agree with some of your posts if they were posted at the end of May for MEMORIAL DAY. That is when Veterans are honored, remembered, and revered. Today is about Civilians! Those killed did not sign up for the honor. All they were doing was going to work or flying home to see family and friends. My brothers and I went to many funerals over the course of our careers as Firefighters in NYC. We knew about the dangers of the job when we raised our right hand and no one blamed anyone when someone died at the scene of an everyday fire. However, I can't tell you how many guys wanted to retire on 9-12-01 because "we didn't sign up for this". I've said this before and I'll say it again all 11,000 firefighters in NY would gladly return the accolades and ceremonies to get back just one of the 343 killed that day.

P.S. Thank you to all who took time out of your busy weekend schedules to attend one or more of the memorials through-out town. As I was unable to get through what I wanted to say at the mike I would like to express here. Today we gathered to remember those killed on 9-11 ten years ago, however that number continues to rise daily. I have a connection with the Fire Dept. and have been able to keep track of my friends and colleagues who have respiratory problems and cancer caused by the toxic dust at ground zero,including my friend Capt.Emil Loungo L110, who was buried just last Fri. But these diseases are not limited to just firefighters. The iron workers and all volunteers who spent any time on the pile are getting sick and dying and get virtually no "ink", or media coverage.

HowardRoark 2 years, 7 months ago

"We remember", I don't think that you do remember. Do you remember Rockefeller applying for a demolition permit from the port authority in order to destroy the WTC towers and being denied due to the asbestos laden dust that would infect thousands? Do you remember that over 1000 professional architects and engineers now stand and put their jobs on the line by stating that the "collapse" was a controlled demolition? Do you remember Donald Rumsfeld stating an 9-10-01 that the pentagon was missing over 2 trillion dollars? It is so disgusting to see how clueless people are concerning this issue, and they will call me unpatriotic for my statements. 9-11 was done by a global elite, and they murdered those people for their own agenda. If you can not accept this, then you are really misinformed.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Howard -- Absolutely correct. My roommate the metallurgist agrees with those architects and engineers. Structural steel will not melt below about 2500 degrees; open jet fuel burns no hotter than 1200. If the government story is to be believed, then logically the sides hit would collapse first, resulting in a much messier scene than the professional implosions we witnessed. How about Building 7, which went down despite nothing touching it? This was one of the better charades in history, and they covered their tracks poorly, for the professionals they're supposed to be. And yet 98% believe the farce. The global elite counts on the average American being stupid, and they're not far wrong.

HowardRoark 2 years, 7 months ago

Highwaystar: Indeed we are witnessing a cognitive dissonance the likes of which frightens me. We live in a society where ignorance is the norm, and the next football game is more important than coming to grips with the fact that people within our own Gov. killed those people for profit and power, and to speak out against it brings ridicule from the ignorant. Please, people, for the sake of your children, research this and wake up! Here is a very informative video I urge all that think I am a nut job to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5io...

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

EXCELLENT flick. Best link I've ever clicked, in these forums. Tells the whole story, in animated format. Also supplied me with the specific beef the Federal Reserve had with JFK, a question I had previously pondered.

I might also suggest the "Loose Change" series, at least 5 movie-length documentaries analyzing various aspects of 9/11. I only saw the demolition one before a "friend" absconded with it; it can be Googled thttp://ssprings.rotator.hadj7.adjuggler.net/servlet/ajrotator/39512/0/ch?ajkey=V1257A50D11J-573I706K39108161768AB2L141410L141408QK39118QQP0G01G0G0Q06E958D100005Foo I think. zeitgeistmovie.com also provides fascinating footage, well worth the time; take them in order, addendums last.

Thomas Jefferson spoke harshly of private banks controlling our money, Franklin, Jackson, and these guys are heavily quoted in these films. All are highly recommended.

Ben Franklin: The only President of the United States -- who was never, President of the United States. -- Firesign Theatre

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Take II: Sorry bout the gibberish -- dang fool machines, and I'm the fang dool...

I might also suggest the "Loose Change" series, at least 5 movie-length documentaries analyzing various aspects of 9/11. I only saw the demolition one before a "friend" absconded with it; it can be Googled I think. zeitgeistmovie.com also provides fascinating footage, well worth the time; take them in order, addendums last.

Kevin Nerney 2 years, 7 months ago

OK boys so does this mean we should not mourn the dead? and dying? Doesn't matter who was the culprit 10,000 have died since and more dying everyday. The thousands of rescue workers are infected and dying as are the soldiers risking their lives daily. Let's just forget all of that and go on living in the bubble of Steamboat and smoke of MMJ.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Truthers & Birthers: two sides of the same sociopathy.

Popular Mechanics did an excellent job debunking the 9/11 conspiracy claptrap: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/1227842

hereandthere 2 years, 7 months ago

MMJ? Kevin, I think your anger is "misguided and misplaced". Question begs, what does your bigotry against MMJ have to do with any discussion about 9/11? Usual claptrap from you guys, trying to associate any thing negative you can dream up to denigrate pot.

HowardRoark 2 years, 7 months ago

@ Brian Kotowski: It is laughable that you are so ignorant as to believe a main stream magazine like popular mechanics. You probably believe the NIST reports as well. I got a news flash for you buddy; the towers were demolished with military grade nanothermite, which has been found in the WTC dust and studied extensively, with numerous peer reviewed scientific papers. That research was done by Neils Harrit, professor chair for over 20 years at Copenhagen University. Unlike the writer of your popular mechanics article, this man is a real scientist. It is quite disturbing to me to see a grown man like you buy into the biggest scam in human history. How can you not see that this was a controlled demolition? What is wrong with your brain? Explain to me how three of the worlds largest steel framed skyscrapers fell due to fire in one day when that had never occurred in history before. You are a fool, and are the problem with our country. You believe a lie so big that you hide from the truth because you are nothing but a coward. I am really sick of ignorant people like you chiming in as if you know the answer to 9-11, and that the truth movement is a joke. YOU are the joke buddy, and history will prove it. The truth will not be ignored, and all the ridicule and ignoring of it you do will only make us stronger; we are not going away, and soon we will outnumber you.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

@HowardRoark:

It's too bad (but instructive) that your "rebuttal" devolves into anonymous school-yard name calling. Why, I don't think I've been so thoroughly chastened since Ronnie Heffler called me a doody head in the second grade! A most impressive profile in courage. Kind of like a famous Ayn Rand protagonist... not.

Taking you seriously is enough of a challenge that I can no longer be bothered to try. Good Luck!

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Sep -- I hope I have not offended, and I may respond for Howard. The video he cited WAS informative, filling in a few pieces of the puzzle for me. The architects who designed the WTC towers made them to withstand a direct hit from jets larger than those that hit them, fully laden with fuel. The bases of the girders were cut at clean 45-degree angles, and only thermite can do that. Many many eyewitnesses report multiple explosions prior to the general collapse; these can also be seen on tape. Knowing how evidence can be faked, I've got an email query in to my second cousin, who was in the WTC at the time, but he's a big folk star, getting ready for a UK tour, might not respond very quickly. Then there's Building 7, which went down for no apparent reason. Too many questions, too much evidence, and no satisfactory explanations, that's what I see.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Rhys -

I'll just have to take your word for the informative nature of the vid. I found I had no patience for the childish animated presentation - I stopped watching Scooby Doo when I was 8.

You write: "Structural steel will not melt below about 2500 degrees; open jet fuel burns no hotter than 1200. If the government story is to be believed, then logically the sides hit would collapse first, resulting in a much messier scene than the professional implosions we witnessed."

From the PM report:

Claim: "We have been lied to," announces the Web site AttackOnAmerica.net. "The first lie was that the load of fuel from the aircraft was the cause of structural failure. No kerosene fire can burn hot enough to melt steel." The posting is entitled "Proof Of Controlled Demolition At The WTC."

FACT: Jet fuel burns at 800° to 1500°F, not hot enough to melt steel (2750°F). However, experts agree that for the towers to collapse, their steel frames didn't need to melt, they just had to lose some of their structural strength—and that required exposure to much less heat. "I have never seen melted steel in a building fire," says retired New York deputy fire chief Vincent Dunn, author of The Collapse Of Burning Buildings: A Guide To Fireground Safety. "But I've seen a lot of twisted, warped, bent and sagging steel. What happens is that the steel tries to expand at both ends, but when it can no longer expand, it sags and the surrounding concrete cracks."

"Steel loses about 50 percent of its strength at 1100°F," notes senior engineer Farid Alfawak-hiri of the American Institute of Steel Construction. "And at 1800° it is probably at less than 10 percent." NIST also believes that a great deal of the spray-on fireproofing insulation was likely knocked off the steel beams that were in the path of the crashing jets, leaving the metal more vulnerable to the heat.

But jet fuel wasn't the only thing burning, notes Forman Williams, a professor of engineering at the University of California, San Diego, and one of seven structural engineers and fire experts that PM consulted. He says that while the jet fuel was the catalyst for the WTC fires, the resulting inferno was intensified by the combustible material inside the buildings, including rugs, curtains, furniture and paper. NIST reports that pockets of fire hit 1832°F.

"The jet fuel was the ignition source," Williams tells PM. "It burned for maybe 10 minutes, and [the towers] were still standing in 10 minutes. It was the rest of the stuff burning afterward that was responsible for the heat transfer that eventually brought them down."

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Even given your arguments, there are still the cleanly-cut girders, the multiple explosions, and the fact that Building 7, former home of the NSA, went down with no apparent catalyst.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Rhys -

If you can link to some non-conspiracy site re: the girders, I'd be interested to see it.

It is enlightening that neither you nor HowardRoark dispute not a single fact or assertion published in reports like the PM article (which has recently made available as a book, and presents a much more detailed and comprehensive analysis). Instead, those like HowardRoark malign the motives and character of those with whom they disagree.

Re: building 7 – from Wiki: "NIST determined that diesel fuel did not play an important role, nor did the structural damage from the collapse of the twin towers, nor did the transfer elements (trusses, girders, and cantilever overhangs). But the lack of water to fight the fire was an important factor. The fires burned out of control during the afternoon, causing floor beams near Column 79 to expand and push a key girder off its seat, triggering the floors to fail around column 79 on Floors 8 to 14. With a loss of lateral support across nine floors, Column 79 soon buckled – pulling the East penthouse and nearby columns down with it. With the buckling of these critical columns, the collapse then progressed east-to-west across the core, ultimately overloading the perimeter support, which buckled between Floors 7 and 17, causing the entire building above to fall downward as a single unit. The fires, fueled by office contents, along with the lack of water, were the key reasons for the collapse."

It wouldn't surprise me to hear the conspriacists among us indict the Illuminati/Bilderber/Masons & ChimpyMcBushHitler as having been responsible for the lack of water to fight the fire at Building 7.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

The demolition aspect, including pictures of the girders, was in one installment of the "Loose Change" series which has vacated my possession. Also in this documentary were many of the testimonials, interviews, and clips of local news.

No offense, and I'm not trying to duck the issue, but all the girder dance in Building 7 sounds strangely like the Magic Bullet back in '63, first this, then that, the likely explanation for a very unlikely event. The WTC WAS an albatross, Rocky was losing money, and this was a very convenient way to kill several birds with one stone.

The last President to cross the Fed got a Magic Bullet. Subsequent Presidents have known better.

The cartoon didn't even address 9/11, but the Fed's role in causing the mortgage meltdown. Jefferson is quoted, Jackson, and how the traitor Wilson stuck us with the Fed and IRS, having been previously bought off.

This is not fantasy, nor conspiracy -- this is all documented history.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

nor "theory," I meant -- let the cards fall where they may.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

"...sounds strangely like the Magic Bullet..."

With all due respect, that's hardly what I would regard as a reasoned rebuttal. And Loose Change, with its web of innuendo and half-truths has been so thoroughly shredded as to be considered afterthought, at best, by most folks. I can recall watching a staged debate on Democracy Now! (& later made more widely available on the net) between the Loose Change producers & the principals responsible for the Popular Mechanics report. It didn't work out all that well for the Loose Change honchos. I suspect it's one of the primary reasons Loose Change is so rarely cited these days.

In any event, I'm confident I won't convince you and you won't convince me. But I appreciate your civility.

HowardRoark 2 years, 7 months ago

Civility? You speak of civility as if this argument has no emotional attachment and that the only thing that matters is an argument over semantics. You mock a documentary that is a “cartoon” as if it is Scooby Doo, and ignore the content. You believe in a magazine article funded primarily by the same interests that profited from 9-11 and you are smug enough to think you are cleaver with your conclusions. I have no civility with ignorance. NIST did not even test the site for explosives, which is standard protocol for firefighters in every town, every city, and every county in the US; in fact, a firefighter will be reprimanded and possibly loose his position if he does NOT test for explosives in an event of this magnitude. I know this because I worked for a long time in the EMS system. I lost friends in those towers. You speak of the ridiculous “buckling” phenomenon; what happened to the central core? Have you even looked at the architectural blue prints of the WTC towers? Your hubris and ignorance will be rewarded to your children due to natural selection, and I take peace of mind in that. You should read a very good book called the Darwin awards as to educate yourself on your gene pool and your fate. I do not have to sit here and hold your hand into breaking your cognitive dissonance; go back to your football games and American Idol; everything is fine. I see you pretend to play the guitar. You want a real battle? I will play MY guitar against YOU and your guitar anytime, anyplace. You want to dispute this in public and put your money where your mouth is? Here is your chance to make a fool out of me. And just to cut you to the chase, don’t use the status quo statement of “I can’t make a fool of you in public because you have already done that here”. There are many that would LOVE to see an open and honest debate concerning this issue, and you either are willing to do this or not. I have a friend that runs open mike in town, and he would LOVE to host this! I promise I will be “civil”.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

I've never been called "cleaver" before. First time for everything. The inability to make your case without the vitriol & childish insults compels me to file you under "life's too short."

Best wishes to you and your crusade, HowardRoark.

sledneck 2 years, 7 months ago

When I saw that this stoy was still being discussed I fully suspected the 9-11 "government brought the towers down" bunch would be involved.

I am about as down on gubbamint as anyone alive but I do not believe there is any truth to the speculation about the world trade towers being brought down purposefully by our own government.

I really think a lot of this stuff (like the birth certificate crap) is due to a compelling desire by people to "know something important" that others don't know. Kind of like a hot stock tip.

The reason I no longer swim in those pools is that, as Sep said, life is indeed too short and also that I don't need to speculate on the unproveable when there is ample, undisputable evidence of the evils of our system without delving into the unproveable.

Simply put: what I know FOR SURE is enough to piss me off; why look for fuel to add to a fire that is already raging???

HowardRoark 2 years, 7 months ago

@ Sledneck: Just because you don't believe something to be true does not make it false. The "Life is too short" line is a total copp out; you would rather ignore a serious issue that will effect the future of your children in order to enjoy your short life. The people that did this need to be exposed, and people without the courage to investigate this issue need to be called out. There comes a time when silence is betrayal, and we have been in that time for a while now. Certainly speculating on unprovable things is counterproductive, but I assure you that if you did some research regarding this issue, then you would find that there is ample indesputable evidence that proves the towers, and building 7, were controlled demolition. The people that ignore history are doomed to repeat it; you advocate kicking the can down the road for another generation to deal with. That is shameful; how can you look your children in the eyes?

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, folks, I've got some bad news, and some good news.

The bad news is, my cousin was not actually at the WTC at the time; he took "artistic license" with his song. So I can't independently verify multiple prior explosions, though I still believe what I saw.

The good news is, he's doing a tour of the UK this November, so I volunteered to be a roadie, have my fingers crossed. Never been over that pond. I'd put off my ski year, for that. And yet I dream...

With any luck, I'll report whether the British think we brought down our own towers, or if they too have their heads buried in the sand.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Stumbled across this the other day, in the wake of Paul Krugman's excoriation of Giuliani & W as "fake heroes." I'd not seen it before; quite a moving tribute by one of the biggest libs in show biz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6fZtz5oC4

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Stumbled across this, looking for clues. New WTC7 stuff; happens fast. I don't see any nearby threat, and if I'm wrong, you've got to credit the Al Queda, to bring down a building so cleanly, they weren't even aiming at.

I don't usually resort to links to do my talking, but this is a good and fast clip.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Here's a guy, working in the elevator shaft at the WTC when it happened, tells of an explosion there.

sledneck 2 years, 7 months ago

Howie, I can't disprove the WTC thing. I just don't believe it. If you do that's fine. I have not researched as much as you apparently have. Kudos to you.

I agree that those who ignore history will repeat it. In fact, I believe we are doing that right now. Ever heard of the Weimar Republic?

Notice I never said what you are claiming was impossible. On April 19, 1993 I stopped being a leftist. I woke up and realized my government was my enemy. Since that day I wouldn't put ANYTHING past the bastards. It's kind of like proving that there are 3 rooms of my house on fire instead of just the 2 I suspected. Even if I could prove it I can still only exit the dwelling and call 911 so fast; understand????