A photograph submitted by a Steamboat Pilot & Today reader shows a traffic accident involving a Steamboat Springs Police Department officer that took place at Oak and Fourth streets. The Colorado State Patrol investigated the crash, which led to the issuance of a ticket to the officer.

Molly Waters/courtesy

Police officer ticketed after downtown traffic accident

A noninjury car accident Wednesday morning resulted in a Steamboat Springs Police Department officer being issued a ticket. Sgt. Rich Brown said the officer, whom he would not name, was responding to a report of a bear and two cubs at Memorial Park near Steamboat Springs High School.

A photograph submitted by a Steamboat Pilot & Today reader showed the accident took place at Oak and Fourth streets. Brown said the officer drove the Dodge Charger patrol car into the intersection and hit another car. The Colorado State Patrol investigated the crash. The trooper who investigated the crash could not be reached Wednesday evening.

“Any time an officer is involved in a crash like this, we ask another agency to come out and investigate it, and we leave the investigation up to them,” Brown said.

The officer was given a ticket, but Brown did not know for what. Brown said police administrators would review the incident and decide whether further action is warranted.

Comments

Rich Hall 2 years, 7 months ago

Why no name? This is a public official, is it not? Why has the SSPD become so secretive all of a sudden? And, why isn't the Steamboat media demanding names from them? How can you report on an incident like this and NOT demand the name of the officer involved? Every time SSPD gets involved in something, it becomes a "Black Hole" swallowing up all the names involved and refusing to report back to the public. We employ the police on our behalf. I do not appreciate the way things are being handled in this town. Time to ask some hard questions of the local police administration.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

tshirtguy, You've apparently had a bad experience with the SSPD. It's a great photo. Thank you Molly Waters. If you have a child name him or her Muddy Waters.

fartpark 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with tshirtguy, whenever someone is even just accused of commiting a crime in this town their name is smeared all over this paper/website. Shouldn't you have to be proven guilty before the Pilot runs your name through poo? So long as we protect the identity of the cops. What a crock.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

Should we demand a "mug shot" of the officer as well ?

JustSomeJoe 2 years, 7 months ago

Spidermite - what did you mean by sometimes the road isn't wide enough? The road is never wide enough when you go through a stop sign with another car already in the intersection.

outwiththeold 2 years, 7 months ago

You right fartpark! The pilot slanders the name of so many innocent citizens.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

outwiththeold , The pilot gets it's information from the police log. I don't think they slander anyone. They just report the log information. I wonder if this story would have even been available to the paper if this "reader" hadn't sent this photo to them.

babette dickson 2 years, 7 months ago

SPIDERMITE you are grilled and famous on FaceBook now! As a great coward targeting children of others, such as the photographer. You are so lame. Involving Molly's children in this tells me you are the trash of the world.

fartpark 2 years, 7 months ago

Whoa felix, I'm pretty sure he was making a joke and you're trying to make him out to be some raving psycho. Why did you advertise the real names of her children?

babette dickson 2 years, 7 months ago

MEA CULPA ! ... you said Muddy Waters.... Oh Ya Manish Boy!

Wooo Yes I am the raving psycho tonight!

I guess my job makes me zealous... I told someone today I will lose my "brain" working!

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 7 months ago

Gee whiz, felix, take a breath!!! Muddy Waters is the greatest blues musician of all time!! spidermite was just makin' a funny. Who peed in your Cheerios? You're right fartpark ... I'm sure the Waters' really appreciate Ms. Dickinson bringing their children into the limelight. School ought to be really fun for them tomorrow.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 7 months ago

From Babette Dickinson's FB page:

"About Babette: Peace&Love"

Right.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

I missed all this. Thanks for calming her down. Peace&Love

A.J. Steiner 2 years, 7 months ago

The accident was not in the morning. It was right during the crazy after school traffic. I am glad there were not any further accidents due to the bears. The officer involved was responding to a situation that truly presented a public safety risk. There was a sow and her two cubs directly across from the entrance to the High school. The sow crossed traffic (the crazy school traffic) and stopped on the other side of the road just off the sidewalk. Then all of the idiots who stopped to take photos of the cubs blocked them from crossing the street and nearly caused several more traffic accidents. Think people!! You now have a mother bear separated from her cubs by a flood of cars, and students on foot getting out of school. My hats off to the DOW officer who showed up first, and helped get the situation under control. Thanks also to all of the individuals that did not scream, yell, jump around, stop there cars, take photos, chase the bears with phones in hand, and used their head.
Funny......The bear was more level headed than most of the humans.

Rich Hall 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey Felix...speaking about names in the paper, how about showing some class. I don't think it is your privilege to announce the names of some photographer's 2 kids in the local paper. 2 kids under the age of 10, I might add!

In some parts of the country, releasing the name of a minor is a crime. In this part of the country, it is just being a classless idiot.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

telivader, I'll bet those bears were just amazed by how silly humans are.

tshirtguy, Felix must suffer from hysteria attacks. During your next attack, felix, try not to insult your targets family members. That's really classless. Peace and Love

bandmama 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow...spidermite, commend you for not retorting back to such nasty comments. Muddy Waters was a great musician. Pheobe- thank you for the "peed in your Cheerieos" comment. My new favorite retort for the day! :)

babette dickson 2 years, 7 months ago

Spidermite... that was a good one for Cabaret 2012... Loved it!

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

felix, "great coward targeting children", "trash of the world". My tax dollars had better not be paying your salary!!!!

Scott Wedel 2 years, 7 months ago

Spidermite, How about posting under your own name before taking shots like that at someone whom posted under her own name.

You seriously think she did that post while at work?

What she posted was obviously her personal opinions by someone that completely missed a joke and somehow thought she was defending them. It was obvious she was not representing her employer.

chickadee 2 years, 7 months ago

^^^ you are (assuming you are a tax payer). She is a teacher. That is public knowledge. The identity of her employer should matter a whit when she desires to express her right to free speech.

Give Babette a break. English is not her first language. She missed the joke. She might have thought that "Muddy Waters" was an idiom that insinuates an insult to a child's racial heritage.

chickadee 2 years, 7 months ago

Is that cop really doing a face palm in the picture? HAHAHAHAH.

If he is not, he should be. Priceless. Cabaret material, for sure.

Good work Molly Waters. You should win an award for this photo.

jk 2 years, 7 months ago

Did I miss an apology somewhere? I don't care if she posts under her real name or if english is her third language. If you go on a rant like that and are wrong an apology is due.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

If the teacher's rant was acceptable the Pilot wouldn't have removed the majority of it. She went beyond her " freedom of speech" coverage.

chickadee 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I do agree that she should not have named those children. Face palm!

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

In all fairness, it looks like he's talking on the phone.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

^^^ I'm glad you agree. She could have endangered the safety of those children. I'm a mulatto. Babette insulted myself and my deceased parents. Just because of my reference to Muddy Waters. Who is the racist now ? Face Palm!

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Just when you thought this forum couldn't get any more childish...

bandmama 2 years, 7 months ago

It is never appropriate to post a minor's name or personal information on a forum such as this. No matter how childish the adults do get at times. Although I have found this to be a constant source of cheap entertainment. Spidermite- I am sorry that you were insulted. This is not the place for slants towards anyone.

spidermite 2 years, 7 months ago

bandmama, Their was more, then just the names of the children, in the comment that the paper removed. If you would have read it - you would understand. Sep, How is that 150 running?