Hayden Town Council to discuss rebranding at Thursday meeting

Economic Development Commission seeks approval of new logo and website to market the town

Past Event

Hayden Town Council meeting

• Thursday, September 1, 2011, 7:30 p.m.
  • Hayden Town Hall, Hayden, CO
  • All ages / Free

— Hayden soon could have a new logo and website as part of an effort to rebrand the western Routt County town and better market its attractions.

The Hayden Economic Development Commission will present the new logo Thursday to the Hayden Town Council for approval.

“We’ve been working on creating a more coherent image to better market what we have here in town,” Economic Development Commission Chairman Stef Nijsten said. “Everybody that lives here will agree this is a great place to live with tons of things to do, but it’s just not all communicated to the public as well as it could be.”

He said the new logo would be used in conjunction with the new website he is developing with Hayden’s Chamber of Commerce. The website would promote town events, attractions and school news. Nijsten said he’s working with Hayden School District to have students help update the site and keep school news current.

He also said the site, which he hopes to launch in the next few weeks, will utilize social networking tools like Twitter and Facebook to promote town events and topics like hunting conditions and Tigers sports schedules.

Also Thursday, the Town Council will vote on a first reading of an ordinance that would increase parking fines at Yampa Valley Regional Airport from $20 to at least $80.

At a meeting last month, the council voted to move forward with the ordinance that would significantly raise airport parking fine prices in an attempt to deter drivers from parking illegally in front of the airport curb.

Mayor Jim Haskins said he likely will support the ordinance, but he said he still isn’t sure the fines are high enough to solve the parking problem at the airport.

The council also will consider hiring a new town clerk.

Hayden has been without a dedicated town clerk since July, when Susan Irvine left the Yampa Valley to serve as the deputy city clerk in Sedona, Ariz. Haskins said the town had narrowed its list of candidates to three finalists after receiving more than 50 applications. Town Manager David Torgler will make his hiring recommendation to the council.

— To reach Scott Franz, call 970-871-4210 or email scottfranz@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Who's doing the website? Is it up for bids? I can think of some cute mottos:

Hayden: Right on the way to Craig.

We Got Pot Too

Sleepy Town USA

Help, I've Fallen, And I Can't Get Out

Where The Deer Are As Welcome As You Are

Don't Mind That Smell

That's just a starter list. Contributions welcome. Let me help spend your money!!

mmjPatient22 2 years, 7 months ago

How 'bout something like,

"Hayden; Hey, at least it's not Craig"

or

"Hayden; Our airport is SO much better than Steamboat's"

Scott Wedel 2 years, 7 months ago

The synergies are apparent. Jack up the fees for parking violations and make the new town logo a no parking sign. Then town would be sending a consistent coherent message to tourists.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Better yet: Going to California? Turn North On Walnut.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

"Where The Men Are Strong, The Women Are Handsome, And The Kids are

-- In Steamboat"

-- About Average"

-- Soon Gone"

Angie Robinson 2 years, 7 months ago

It is just me or do the same people chime in on everything with negative comments or smart a** remarks?

exduffer 2 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to the club lilwelder, your membership dues will come shortly;)

greenwash 2 years, 7 months ago

I've got out of town guests coming in to town....Remind me once again what there is to do in Hayden ?

Candice Martin 2 years, 7 months ago

You all are haters......Find something better to do! You are just ripping on people because they live in Hayden :P

exduffer 2 years, 7 months ago

If you travel the back roads of "flyover country" you will see many small towns like Hayden that are proud enough to declare themselves "Home of the ..... County Fair". Hayden should be lucky that Oak Creek has already taken "Home of the Toothbrush":{}

sledneck 2 years, 7 months ago

Highway, mmj and exduffer take the cakes with their first comments. Excellent!

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

They edited some of my suggestions, probably so cowboys wouldn't want to hurt me, but also including a couple of good ones I now forget, and my out-line. So here are some cleaner suggestions:

"Look up -- there's America!!" or

"The Top Layer Of The Melting Pot"

I'll be here all week. Call me.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Not Steamboat's Bedroom -- Our Mattresses Are Lumpy

Where The Dogs Have A Reason To Bark

Forget Bikes, We Don't Have Car Races Any More

Better Stay Here Now

Don't Leave Yet

I got a million of 'em. And I hope you Hayden folks realize, it's all in fun; you should here my rap on THIS town.