Ken Collins: What would He think?

I’ve lived in Colorado most of my life. It is truly beautiful, perhaps the most beautiful of all the states. But all 50 have their great landscapes. And whatever you believe, God and/or natural science has done a great job. Whether it’s 6,000 or 6 billion years old, America is special.

I know the GOP candidates for president would agree. And when asked, half believe in creationism. Either way, Mother Earth is sacred. Yet when asked another question, all of them are ready, as president, to trash the Clean Air and Water Acts, drill everywhere there might be oil or gas even in delicate areas or National Parks, increase the burning of coal (there is no such thing as clean coal), lower the regulations on environmental protection and even eliminate the EPA. Some are saying we should eliminate alternative energy incentives as well.

Apparently, they want the U.S. to return to the ’50s environmentally. This from the people who believe God made America the beautiful land it is. So I wonder, WWGT — “What Would God Think?”

Ken Collins

Oak Creek

Comments

seeuski 2 years, 9 months ago

Not even worth a response. What a pile of steaming .... What do you do Ken, wait to see what Obama comes up with and then write?

sledneck 2 years, 9 months ago

One of the many wonderful things about God is that he gave us his word, the Holy Bible, so we would not have to wonder. It's all right there.

I find it more than a little sanctimonious to presume to invoke God as part of a swipe at political opponents. Now that that ship has sailed I guess I would say let's apply that same question in a broader context, shall we??

For instance, what would God think of a nation that enslaves its future generations with debt? If you are a debtor nation I think God indicated that was evidence that your nation was living under Gods curse.

And I seem to recall something about God saying that it was foolish to "worship the house more than the builder." (that is the earth more than its creator) Now that just about pegs the green crowd perfectly, no?

I also recall something about "if a man will not work neither shall he eat..."

But hey, why bother with a God like that when you can have a God and religion like our commander-in-chief instead. When asked by Cathleen Falsani, of the Chicago Sun Times "What is sin?" The President's answer was: "Being out of line with my values." Now thats one convenient religion! Maybe Ken Collins meant to ask "What would Obama do?"

sledneck 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh, and I forgot the one about 10% of your income was enough for God...

seeuski 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks sled, well spoken, UNLIKE THE PUKE BY KEN. You nailed it and actually better than anything I have seen. This movement away from the individuals relationship with a higher authority and towards the "collective salvation" Socialism that we are lead by now comes out clearly in your response.

Beavers 2 years, 9 months ago

I won't vote for anybody that doesn't run with the science. Neither, luckily, will our US Military. Creationism -and god- be again and again damned for making you all sound like fools and giving you any soapbox at all from which to hurl end of days bs, polygamy, war and god's will posed as being against the prevention of climate change at us all.

If 97 doctors of 100 that you consulted told you your daughter had an operable but otherwise fatal disease, would you not take her to the hospital today? No, Rick Perry, Sarah Palin and the other member of the super unintelligentsia, Michele Bachman, and you would doubt and wait?

These redneck republicans that don't believe in global climate change are subscribing to and throwing in with the 3% of 'scientists' who say they "have doubts". Note, they aren't even denying it anymore. They doubt. 97% of scientists today say it's happening.

So, are you gonna let your daughters croak for a few more BIG $ handouts coming directly from the biggest polluters and their lobbyists... to put these idiots in office? Really? Have you lately checked how much wool is yanked down over your eyes?

I say the science is in. And that is as close to The Truth as I will ever need, thank you.

Let's you and I be smart and get our sick little girl into the hospital today.

Tomorrow may be too late.

S_G30 2 years, 9 months ago

Mother Nature, as it always has, will have the last laugh. It doesn't matter what we do, history tells us that at some point we are all gone, period. No amount of wind, solar or any other type of clean energy will change that.

seeuski 2 years, 9 months ago

Poor Beavers, have you hugged your tree today? It snowed in the Boat, how's that climate change thang workin for ya? Chicken little.

sledneck 2 years, 9 months ago

Beavers, As long as someone of your undoubtably incomparable intellect pronounces the "science is in" well, I guess thats good enough for the rest of us "rednecks". Case closed.

Oh, I guess there is just one tiny issue. Before you rush off to the hospital with "our little girl" there's the matter of custody. And I'm sure it's much to your consternation to read that "us rednecks" have "joint custody" of "our little girl". A further thought crosses... what exactly are you going to "rush off to the hospital" in if we do away with all thos fossil puking ambulances???

kathy foos 2 years, 9 months ago

I like the letter.Compromise would be in order with the gas and oil issue.We cannot do without it now,but it shouldn't make you mad that many people want to get away from it for logical reason's which I wont repeat,it will just make you angry.Would you prefer for all of the planet to be like you and continue on the present course?If so what would the result be in 50 years?Iguess I realize how fast 50 years goes by at my age and for the last 100 years we began using it, oil dependency has gotten so bad that it is killing the planet and just getting worse.Now there are pollutions to go along with that.Oil wells are one thing but gas fracking is not good in my opinion.There is plenty of reason to back that up.Why should we blindly accept it when its not a simple crude well . I was up by Walden this week and observed the operating of this industry and it is impressive in alot of ways,they have processing for it there and there are not many people ,they seem to take it in the stride,the sight didn't offend,but I saw no fracking rigs.I think we got handed a rotten tomato in this county with the gas frac. We cannot just have the wells like Walden,no, we have to allow that fracking ,they want to make them both one and the same,so it makes it hard to find ,middle ground.I saw many oil trucks headed up over Rabbit Ears,is there any agencys available to handle an oil spill quickly in place?Does Craig have an agency we could borrow?With this expansion, there needs to be a good set up to manage a spill quickly,not call Grand Junction to mobilize.Sled,tell me your vision of fifty years from now about this issue and explain how to achieve the goal,what the result will be..I know you dont want to ruin the planet,I need to listen more,and the oil companys need to make things safer,no doubt.If gas fracking is offensive to the planet,stop doing it and show you want to listen.Hire people to make it safer and show us.The ones that are all for drilling any way shape or form,what are your reason's?Money is fleeting and so is our dependencyon oil(if alternatve energys progress)but the damage to the planet is not a fleeting thing,the earth carries the scars.Our great grandkids are going to pay up for us now.Lets work together to figure it out in compromise?

kathy foos 2 years, 9 months ago

Since God opinions don't come up often,I just wanted to mention on a couple of things interesting to me today.One friend on face book posted a thing saying"If you think that you are being taken advantage of,just think how God feels"On a television show about people that died and came back to life ,,a guy had a heart attack and died,then said he went to Heaven(this is not a joke,I realize it sounds like it,ha)Anyway he saw Moses and was unbelieving at first that it was him,,then became convinced it was indeed Moses....OK so Moses tells him this world is in deep trouble because the people are not following the Ten Commandments.

sledneck 2 years, 9 months ago

Sun, I actually have 2 visions of the future. You probably don't want to hear at least one of them.

The short and, by far most likely version is: Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin.

The far less likely version is: The American people get their head out of their posteriors, realize that the ski-lifts, carbon-fiber bicycles, subarus, kayaks, light switches, cold beer and other "necessities" of their modern life were invented and brought to them by profit seeking corporations, NOT BY GOVERNMENT. That those things REQUIRE energy to produce; and that they are living off of and slowly but surely eating their "seed-corn" with respect to what their forebears gave them. They refuse to accept the notion that a government that can't deliver the mail and which takes 10 years to find and kill a freakin caveman can affect global atmospheric change on their behalf. They look in the mirror and seriously ask themselves: If the Wright Brothers, Thomas Edison, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates or Henry Ford had been "helped" by our current government where would we be????? They look at the Department of Education that educates no one and decide to return instead to a time when the nation had an 8th grade education but a 94% literacy rate. The Department of Energy that produces not one joule of electricity but adds billions of dollars to our electric bills. The Department of Defense which has been perpetually at war since 1955 and has not won a war since 1945 and returns to the Jeffersonian ideal of "an honest friendship with all nations and entangling alliances with none". They decide they are sick of funding an unattainable utopia and opt instead for the more prosperous inequality of the free markets and the technological innovations of entrepenuers who are motivated by the prospect of retaining the fruits of their labors. As they remember the innovators who brought their grandparents into todays modern age they likewise look to tomorrows innovators for the food, transportation, medical, technological and other advances necessary to bring mankind safely and prosperously into a new and bright age rather than in to an age of climate fear, cultural upheaval and economic slavery.

That is my hope for America. The reality is that empires throughout history do not return from the death-throws of decay. They leave democratic republic shores for only one destination: tyranny. And they do not merely accept it, they demand it.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 9 months ago

With all due respect to Mr. Collins, what a ridiculous premise - designed to do nothing more than denigrate those with whom he disagrees. As a card-carrying heathen, I enthusiastically support the extraction of our domestic energy reserves. Present day technologies enable us to do so with minimal impact. “What Would God Think?” isn't a factor for me, as I don't believe that He exists. As a result, Mr. Collins can't accuse me of religious hypocrisy. But I confident he would have no trouble fabricating some other malfeasance to charge me with.

jimmmmmm 2 years, 9 months ago

Good stuff Seeuski.

Once again, can we repeat together...........weather is not climate. Knucklhead.

You and Sean Hannity say the same thing everytime it snows. Why no stupid comments this summer about the droughts and relentless heat in Texas?

Welcome to the party Beavers. Don't try to flash your intelligent remarks around here. They don't work in this forum. Only strong unsupportable opinions please, based on rhetoric and fantasy. Strictly biased arguments that reflect what Glenn Beck, Rushbo, or Fox and Friends said this morning.

housepoor 2 years, 9 months ago

I think we should bring Tebow in on this as he seems to have a direct line to Jesus?

Mike Heineke 2 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Collins, This is GOD! Thanks for mentioning me. People do forget sometimes what my intentions were for man to live in harmony and have lasting peace in their hearts. I've got a great idea for you my son, and that is to share your beautiful land that I carved out for you to take care of and build some housing units for my bretheren who are not able to feed themselves or family. Thanks for listening Oh mighty ever so thoughtful and insightful Mr. Collins. And yes, I used to be a repulican myself. Dad always said that I would have to listen to everything up here also. Gotta love it! I'm just saying. I'll include you in my prayers today twice....Have a blessed day and say hi to the family kid!

Mike Heineke 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh, I almost forgot Mr. Collins. I will be in your area later on this month for some one on ones and my people would like to get together with your people to go over some worldly issues. Oh my goodness there are so many things to cover these days. My precious saints, angels, and maintenance folks are all very "taxed" these days. Sorry that we can't spend more time with you, I am using my vacation time to take care of more pressing issues, like the Middle East, AGAIN! And i'm also trying to lay some heavy "stuff", as we like to say up here, onto that Mr. Tebow. What a wonderful Lad! I always wanted to be a football player in my day but nobody thought of that game until it was too late. Oh well. Not being a betting man I will tell all of my special freinds like yourself to bet your last table scraps on this young fellow. Humer goes a long way. Been awhile. Peace be with you and yours....GOD....

jmemcse 2 years, 9 months ago

Dear God, Glad to see you on this forum as my prayers don't seem to be getting through to you lately. The problem occured around the same time I got an iPhone and I'm thinking the "prayer frequency" and iPhone are interfering with each other - maybe you could come up with a "prayer app"? Anyway, I could use some help with my gum disease, that or could you arrange a little "accident" for my hygenist? At least that way I wouldn't have to listen to her any more. Thanks for your time - I know you're real busy these days what with that Middle East thing and all...

Mike Heineke 2 years, 9 months ago

Mr. jmemcse, Really! I was all ready to guide you in the right direction for your health needs until you asked for the accident thing! I happen to love that gal as my own of course. See the good in her. She is only trying to help you. As for the iPhone, we do not get reception up HERE on days that end in a Y. Go figure my son. Too many cloudy days they tell me. Don't even get CNN for the latest world news. I have a spot for Andy Rooney though when he sees fit to join us. May be awhile though. He's in good shape. As for you, your on your own until after the first of the year. But you may consider reading my "REALLY BIG BOOK"! A lot of thought went into that one, for sure, you know? Trying to get the Minnesota lingo down again. Have to go back there and try and help them with the Walleye population. So much to do. Got an idea though. If you let me know what the spread is this weekend is on the games I'll set a second or three aside for you. You know how to reach me. Hang in there and get rid of all of your electronics. It's all causing my hard earned work to go nutty. Fish on! And go Albert Puljos!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff_Kibler 2 years, 9 months ago

Reading these comments reminds me of this XTC song (buy the CD):

seeuski 2 years, 9 months ago

Dang Jimmmmmmmmmmmmm, every time you guys start with the global warming(spread the wealth of America to all other Countries) lie and farce this happens. Tell your pal Al(internet)Gore to host his rip off of the American people Convention in Texas during August when the hot winds blow across the prairie so you can get some better photo ops than the blizzards that have shut down his 3 ring circus over the last few years. http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/newsstory/news/56969/nyc-philly-boston-snow-versus.asp

Sorry buddy but the fact is the fact, the weather is here to stay, snow in the Winter and heat in the Summer, some things never change, much!

"With more and more data coming out that the world is actually cooling, global warming fans have changed their mantra to ‘climate change.’ Nice way to hedge your bets." http://israelnewsletter.com/2009/01/27/gods-humor-gores-hearing-on-global-warming-snowed-out/

One thing you could do as your part to keep it cool around here Jimmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, is only talk through your nose and keep your mouth shut, that smelly gas you spew might be a contributor to the temp in your vicinity.

BeCoolHoneyBunny 2 years, 9 months ago

Seeuski,

Your link http://israelnewsletter.com/2009/01/2... is a brief rant by an financial writer. (Aaron Katsman is the President of Lighthouse Capital, financial columnist for the Jerusalem Post and a renowned speaker on investing in Israel.) There are no sources used.

Yes, the earth has warmed and cooled, and been through all kinds of climate change, long before humans. Climate Change is not created by man, but man may be speeding up the process. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204422404576594872796327348.html http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111021144716.htm http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=skeptical-research-effort-confirms-global-warming

hillclinger 2 years, 7 months ago

"The American people get their head out of their posteriors, realize that the ski-lifts, carbon-fiber bicycles, subarus, kayaks, light switches, cold beer and other "necessities" of their modern life were invented and brought to them by profit seeking corporations, NOT BY GOVERNMENT."

stereotyping are we?

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

housepoor -- Good point. He would say Who cares about the oil, I'm too busy grooming my new Poster Boy, Master Tebow. Table this 'til mid-January.

sledneck 2 years, 7 months ago

OK, Hill. I'll take the bait. How is that "stereotyping" ?