Photo by Joel Reichenberger
Soroco senior Lauryn Bruggink, center, leads a cheer after the Rams scored a point Friday against North Park.
2011 Rams volleyball schedule
- Sept. 3: Leadville Tournament: James Irwin Charter School 2, Soroco 0; Soroco 2, Steamboat Springs JV 1; Soroco 2, Lake County 0
- Sept. 9: Plateau Valley 3, Soroco 2
- Sept. 10: Soroco 3, Meeker 2
- Sept. 13: Soroco 3, North Park 2
- Sept. 16: Soroco 4, Hayden 0
- Sept. 23: Vail Christian 3, Soroco 0
- Sept. 24: West Grand 3, Soroco 2; Soroco 3, Vail Mountain 0
- Oct. 1: Soroco 3, Paonia 2
- Oct. 8: Hayden 3, Soroco 0
- Oct. 14: Soroco 3, Vail Mountain 2
- Oct. 15: Soroco 3, Rangely 2
- Oct. 21: Soroco 3, North Park 1
- Oct. 25: Soroco volleyball falls to Meeker in playoff match
- Oct. 29: District tournament at Soroco
- Nov. 5: Regional tournament
- Nov. 11 and 12: State tournament in Denver
Oak Creek It wasn’t the ideal final tune-up, but it was good enough. Despite mistakes that left coaches and players frustrated, the Soroco High School volleyball team played good enough to get past North Park on Friday night, winning at home in four games.
Soroco was good early and good late to win 25-17, 25-19, 19-25 and 25-18.
Despite spending a lot more time playing good than bad, it was the bad that lingered with the Rams after the game.
“That game we lost, they got down on themselves. They haven’t been doing that all season, so I don’t know why they did tonight,” Soroco coach Kim Reeves said. “Losing a third game like that, that’s not acceptable, especially when we play so well in the first two.”
Everything that had been going right suddenly wasn’t. Ram kills went long, Wildcat serves found open zones and the defense was rocked on its heels.
None of that is to say the Rams weren’t good Friday night. Often they were, overpowering the Wildcats when they had to. Micaela Meyer and Shelby Miles each had 10 kills to lead the team while Shelby Miles and Lindsay Miles had seven blocks each.
The win wrapped up the regular season for the squad, which now waits to figure out who it will play Tuesday, when the Rams most likely will host an opening-round game in the district tournament.
—To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253 or e-mail jreichenberger@SteamboatToday.com