Police: Man taken to hospital after being hit with a hammer by friend

photo

Routt County Sheriff's Office

Matthew S. Wheeler

— A 47-year-old Hayden man was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center with minor injuries Sunday night. Police say a friend hit him on the head with a hammer.

Routt County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Mellisa Baumgartner said the friend, 36-year-old Matthew S. Wheeler, of Hayden, was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault, menacing, criminal mischief and obstruction of telephone service.

Deputies and Hayden Police Department officers were called at 9:14 p.m. Sunday to a disturbance in the 2700 block of U.S. Highway 40. Baumgartner said Wheeler and the man, who were longtime friends, had been arguing before Wheeler hit him on the head with the hammer. She said the man left Wheeler’s house to go home, where a woman called 911.

West Routt Fire Protection District emergency responders took the man with to YVMC at about 10:15 p.m. Chief Bryan Rickman said the man was released from the hospital Sunday night.

Baumgartner said she didn’t know why the men were arguing, but that the Sheriff’s Office thinks alcohol was a factor. She said the investigation is ongoing.

Comments

1999 3 years ago

:gasp:

alcohol involved???

I didn't expect that.

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

There oughtta be a 5 day waiting period to buy a hammer.

exduffer 3 years ago

I wonder if he hammered out a warning first?

sledneck 3 years ago

Hit by acquaintance is how it should read. Not friend.

Scott Wedel 3 years ago

Looks like Mr Wheeler got hammered and then he hammered his neighbor.

kathy foos 3 years ago

A man was charged with double homicide,the judge informs the guy that he was charged with killing his wife w/a hammer.A voice in the back said you B!,Then the judge informs the guys that he's charged w/killing his mominlaw,that voice says B_! Someone asks him what his problem is and he says"'Ive lived next to that guy for 15 years and everytime I ask to borrow a hammer he said he didnt have one!"

Rich Hall 3 years ago

Looks like you guys have really nailed this one!

rhys jones 3 years ago

Give Matt a break -- when his buddy called him a "hammerhead" he took it as a command.

MrTaiChi 3 years ago

Not dope, not booze, no, those insideous folk singers bending our minds:

Pete Seegar: "If I had a hammer, I'd hammer, (and sickle), in the mornin'. I'd hammer in the evenin' all over this land... "

Paul Simon: "I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. Yes I would, if I only could. Yes I would."

Scott Wedel 3 years ago

So it was the Hammer of Justice? So it was a metaphorical hammer that caused psychic wounds and not an actual hammer wielded by the neighbor? With creative thinking like that then maybe you should be his defense attorney.

I'd guess that a song about taking standing up for justice and freedom would appeal to the TEA party.