Charlie Magnuson: Vote 'no' on 2C

As owner of D and C Medical Marijuana Center in Steamboat Springs, I wanted to let everyone know why banning us is a bad idea. Here are some of the reasons why:

We support the police in enforcing the law. A ban would have little effect on people who choose not to obey the law. What it would do is increase access to illegal marijuana by helping the black market, the gangs in Denver and the Mexican drug cartel. If we are banned, I expect these gangsters will be in Routt County within one year with their narcotics, guns and money.

Some physicians want a ban because they feel that a doctor coming to town to write recommendations for patients is not legitimate. We agree that doctors who write improper prescriptions should be punished. We’ve had cancer patients, veterans and others with health problems who have seen an M.D. from out of town. There is no reason to ban us because patients see a licensed M.D. to help them, as allowed by the law.

We are 100 percent in agreement that we should do what is best for the kids in Steamboat. A ban would mean an increase in unregulated growing of marijuana in residential neighborhoods. This would mean an increase in black market sales and illegal access for children. Banning a legal business would send a bad message to all residents, children included.

Banning us would result in loss of legal tax revenue. This money would go to the black market instead.

Regulation of our industry has begun by Colorado Department of Revenue. We need to give these people time to enforce the law. Most patients do not want to grow their own medical marijuana or have a caregiver grow for them. They prefer coming to a legal medical marijuana center to make legal purchases.

Banning our business because of people breaking the law makes no more sense than banning bars, liquor stores and pharmacies because of the abuse of alcohol and prescriptions drugs. We should ban tobacco first.

I have invited everyone from police, doctors, City Council members and concerned residents to come by and visit, to work together and to let me know if they have any criticism or complaints. Not one person has contacted me or tried to work with me.

Banning us would help the individuals and businesses that have caused problems. We are the good guys who obey the law.

While I know that the citizens who are in favor of a ban want to do what is best for the community, I now ask you to do the right thing and join me in keeping the gangsters out of Steamboat Springs. Vote for regulation. Vote “no” on Referendum 2C.

Charlie Magnuson

D and C Medical Marijuana LLC, Steamboat Springs

Comments

Sam Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

Charlie, I had a good chuckle at your speculations about gangsters in Steamboat following a ban. Were there gangsters before pot was widely distributed in your stores? Hardly and there won't be. You make it sound like the world will devolve into some scene from Escape From New York. I lived in Denver most of my adult life until moving to Steamboat last year. I know city life and it's no where close to the world you project for Steamboat. Just curious, how do you reconcile the fact that the average age of your "patient" is now under 40 and is now your fastest growing customer base in CO? I felt pretty darn good when I was under 40 physically with very few aches and pains. Make no mistake, your shop and the failure of this experiment is radically increasing the use of recreational pot smoking. It is not to your advantage to admit that of course and I'm sorry that your business is threatened, but it's not good for our community nor is easier access good for our kids. Banning is the right choice folks, it's happening all of our state and it should happen here as well. Let's get it done!

spidermite 3 years, 2 months ago

I've never understood why we need the ACET. Now Charlie is predicting Denver gangs and Mexican drug cartels, with guns and narcotics, moving into Routt County if his business is shut down. If Charlie is correct the ACET will finally be of value.

rhys jones 3 years, 2 months ago

There weren't gangs before mmc, and there won't be after, if that happens. The money will just go somewhere else, somewhere without video tape recording things. Very little will fundamentally change. Do what you will; nobody can stop it.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 2 months ago

There weren't and will not be gang bangers hanging out on street corners. But drug dealers in SB have been connected to gangs.

Or do you think drugs used locally are special and free of gang involvement?

You think someone from Denver caught here living in a condo selling drugs is not gang affiliated? Just because this is not their headquarters does not mean they don't have their sales people active here.

spidermite 3 years, 2 months ago

"Condo Cartels" and gangs "sales people". Scott your vast knowledge about illegal drugs is impressive.

rhys jones 3 years, 2 months ago

Here we go, confusing drugs and pot again. This article is about mmj dispensaries. While I am sure the preponderance of any meth or coke in the valley has sinister sources elsewhere, I am equally sure the majority of our mmj is grown locally, or in-state anyway, as required by LAW. The infrastructure is already in place, all that will vary is the outlet. Even if Pablo reappears with Mexican, I think turf wars are a stretch.

I'm sick of seeing pot lumped with drugs, and the sooner we make the distinction, the better.

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

Charlie, I am sorry. These folks have made up their mind and no amount of factual information is going to change it.

What is truly sad is that so many of your detractors give such valiant lip-service to freedom yet I do not believe they would recognize true freedom if it smacked them square in the mouth. You have, I honestly believe, a majority of people on your side but they are not the few who get to make the decision. I really am sorry Charlie.

HowardRoark 3 years, 2 months ago

@Livinlarge, and all of you other unconstitutional fools: This is going to cost the city a lot of money in litigation. This isn't a question of if you want to ban the dispenceries or not; the people of the state of Colorado have already spoken about this issue, and fools like livinlarge thinks that she can just vote this out because it does not fit her paradigm. If these lagitamite businesses are shut down after the owners of these businesses have spent all of their money and energy building up their businesses and jumping through the legal hoops that keep changing, they will sue the city. They will sue the city council, and I hope they will personally sue you Livinlarge. Not a single person in the history of the world has ever died from marijuana, yet hundreds of thousands of people die every year from prescribed medications that the new walgreens will push. Marijuana fights cancer, and yet you fools want to ban it because of a backward stigma. I moved to Steamboat to get away from idiots like livinlarge. If medical marijuana is not something you support livinlarge, then please move to Kansas and leave Steamboat becasue a lot of people support the medical marijuana industry here, and we support the constitution of Colorado. I, along with hundreds of my friends, will be voting NO on 2C in order to keep the medical marijuana industry alive and well in Steamboat.

spidermite 3 years, 2 months ago

Who cares if Mr Sanford is a convicted felon. All that means is he can't vote or own a gun. Who cares if Lisa Watts had two tax liens. She still has a right to her opinion. I've had a bankruptcy. Unfortunately alot of citizens have had bankruptcys. Beenheredonethat don't be such a gossip.

spidermite 3 years, 2 months ago

HowardRoark, Have you ever tried to sue the government? The city has it's own attorney. He is paid monthly. Their won't be any extra charge for litigation. Livinlarge has a right to his opinion even if it is different from yours. No need to call him a fool of idiot. Are you and your hundreds of friends going to the polls at the same time?

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

No Spidermite. It also means (if true) that HE IS A CONVICTED FELON! It means he was willing to commit a felony. If criminal records were of no import they would not be RECORDED.

Isn't it telling when a society has so many felons and so many felony laws that they become "no big deal".?????

spidermite 3 years, 2 months ago

Sled, If it is true, he has paid his debt to society. How can you be so enraged about Mr. Sanford past conviction when our County Commissioner,Doug Monger, confessed to embezzleing $75,000.00 from the tax payers. This is a felony. Has he paid his debt to society? No. So I say "NO BIG DEAL"!!!!

HowardRoark 3 years, 2 months ago

@ Spidermite. No, me and my friends will all go to the polls at the same time, but we all will be voting and as to when is up to each of us. Livinlarge is entitled to his opinions, but his opinions trampel on the rights of others, and that is not acceptable. And yes, livin large is an idiot and a fool in my opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion as are you, and livinlarge.

rhys jones 3 years, 2 months ago

livinlarge may not be a he, and she might not be as stupid as alleged -- at least he or she is paid to spout their opinion, that assertion yet to be denied by anybody.

spidermite 3 years, 2 months ago

Howard, Good to know there won't be hundreds of people deciding to vote at the same time. After the rockslide on US 40 wiped out your vehicle were you able to continue with nursing school?