2011 Sailors football schedule
- Aug. 26: Olathe 43, Steamboat 13
- Sept. 2: Holy Family 52, Steamboat 6
- Sept. 16: Montrose 54, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 23: Eagle Valley 34, Steamboat 7
- Sept. 30: Delta 37, Steamboat 14
- Oct. 7: Rifle 47, Steamboat 12
- Oct. 14: Glenwood Springs 43, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 21: Palisade 58, Steamboat 7
- Oct. 28: Battle Mountain 61, Steamboat 22
- Nov. 4: Moffat County 27, Steamboat 6
■ 7 p.m. Friday: Sailors (0-5, 0-2) vs. Rifle (5-0, 2-0)
The football team once again will be fighting for its first win of the season. Friday night, the Sailors hope to be buoyed by some homecoming spirit, not just because of the weeklong celebration but also because it’s the team’s first home game since Sept. 2.
“Three of those trips were long. That’s no excuse for winning or losing, but the kids are just really excited to be back home,” Steamboat coach Lonn Clementson said. “Homecoming is always fun, but we know in order to fill the stands, we have to light up the scoreboard and try to keep their number lower than ours.”
Even with a big home crowd, the game isn’t likely to come easy. Rifle has cruised as much this season as Steamboat has struggled and enters the game with a 5-0 record and aspirations to be league champs.
The Bears haven’t blown most opponents away, but they have controlled games with a dominating running attack.
Steamboat’s offense has been more effective the past two weeks, but it will need to take another step up against Rifle.
“We go into every game thinking we’re going to win. A lot of coaches say that, and we know we have a little history here on the wrong side of the win-loss column, but our kids are great,” Clementson said. “They are focused, dialed in, playing together and just playing for each other.”