Saturday, October 1, 2011
2011 Sailors football schedule
- Aug. 26: Olathe 43, Steamboat 13
- Sept. 2: Holy Family 52, Steamboat 6
- Sept. 16: Montrose 54, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 23: Eagle Valley 34, Steamboat 7
- Sept. 30: Delta 37, Steamboat 14
- Oct. 7: Rifle 47, Steamboat 12
- Oct. 14: Glenwood Springs 43, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 21: Palisade 58, Steamboat 7
- Oct. 28: Battle Mountain 61, Steamboat 22
- Nov. 4: Moffat County 27, Steamboat 6
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School football team lost, 37-14, on Friday in Delta.
The loss drops the team to 0-5 overall and 0-2 in Western Slope League play.
Despite the loss, Steamboat coach Lonn Clementson said it was much better than last week, when the team lost its opening league game, 34-7, to Eagle Valley.
“That was a pivotal point in this season,” he said. “To play as hard as we did for as long as we did, it was nice to see the whole game. There are a few things we need to continue to work with. But we’re going to compete more and more as the season goes on.”
Steamboat fell behind early before running back Ben Custer scored. Custer added a late touchdown in the fourth quarter to cap off Steamboat’s scoring.
“It was great attitudes and effort, and this week we feel like there is a lot to build on,” Clementson said. “Last week, where we were concerned about competing, this week we’re not.”
Steamboat, after playing four of its first five games on the road, returns home this week for homecoming week.
The team plays at 7 p.m. Friday against Rifle.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com