Tom Ross

Tom Ross

Tom Ross: Much ado about the pigskin

Tom Ross

Tom Ross' column appears in Steamboat Today. Contact him at 970-871-4205 or tross@SteamboatToday.com.

Find more columns by Tom here.

— Te-bow, or not Te-bow? Whether ‘tis nobler to suffer the slings of running quarterbacks, or to ground them against a sea of Chargers, Vikings, Patriots and Bears?

That used to be the question. But not any longer. The legend of Tim Tebow is only going to grow with each passing Sunday, whether or not the Broncos’ signal caller throws the football more than a dozen times. Young Tebow is a winner and has overcome all three of his divisional opponents on the road. Every Sunday, Tebow puts on a drama of Shakespearian proportions. And the good news is that you only have to watch the latter half of the fourth quarter to enjoy the good parts.

The Broncos defeated the San Diego Chargers, 16-13, in overtime Sunday. It was the fourth game in a row when a host of actors from Denver pulled off another dramatic triumph.

A donkey figured prominently in the Bard’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” But on Sunday, it was the Denver Donkeys, as some fans affectionately refer to the Broncos, who pulled off a Shakespeare festival of their own in San Diego. They humbled the trash-talking Philip Rivers, who has shown his disdain for the team from Denver throughout the past decade.

As Shakespeare might have written, Tebow “came to the field and vanquished his foes. … Gather we, our forces out of hand, and set upon our boasting enemy.”

But Tebow didn’t do it all by himself. He hath inspired his soldiers to new heights.

In Shakespeare’s “Richard III,” the villainous King Richard was slain by Richmond during the battle of Bosworth Field. In San Diego, it was the Denver Gloom and Doom duo of Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil who sacked King Rivers at the Battle of Qualcomm Stadium.

Had Will Shakespeare covered the game and written a newspaper column afterward, he might have penned these words:

“Whether in sea of fire, on the ground or through the air …

I had rather be a dog and shoot the moon,

Than such a Charger.”

This Shakespearean drama has all the subplots one could want, including the conflicted executive vice president of gridiron operations, Sir John of Elway, who has yet to anoint young Tebow as his heir. Just last week, Sir John all but disowned him.

“Alas, poor Elway. I knew him well, a fellow of limited patience and most excellent touchdown bombs. He hath borne Bronco nation on his back a thousand times. (Yet it is clear), Prince Tebow is not this king’s son.”

As always, Tebow showed humility and would speak no evil of his tormentors in his post-game press conference:

“For I have neither a quick release nor a lofty quarterback rating.

To stir men’s blood, I only speak of winning.”

William Shakespeare could not have said it better.

To reach Tom Ross, call 970-871-4205 or email tross@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

greenwash 3 years ago

Even if you could trade Tebow no other team wants this guy....Our offense is BORING and eventually it will come back to haunt us ! Get rid of him now why he looks semi good because the good times wont last with Tebow . It doesnt matter how much praying he does.

rhys jones 3 years ago

Ride the wave, as long as it lasts. The offensive line has come light years in the last few weeks, opening running lanes and buying Tebow lots of time to throw. He elevates the whole team, because they know they are never really out of it.

I too was a doubter, still think his backup Quinn has a better pure arm. Still, you can't argue with success, and I am quite enjoying the ride. Tim refuses to quit, fights for every inch. Running quarterbacks generally have shorter careers, Tarkenton and Elway to the exception, so I say enjoy it as long as it lasts. Go Tim, you converted me!!

And nice job with the prose, Tom.

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

Tarkenton & Elway could throw accurately downfield. Tebow seems a great kid & a natural leader, but no one's gonna win an NFL championship with him at QB. Teach him to run routes and make him a tight end.

Ben Tiffany 3 years ago

It's nice to see the Broncos be relevant again.

housepoor 3 years ago

Yeah, I heard if they make the playoffs that the Pope is going to try and make it to see Timmy "touchdown Jesus" Tebow play in person and is considering anointing sainthood upon him at halftime

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Rhys--- Finally something we agree on. The level of play of the defense has risen greatly since Tebow has taken over also. Greenwash--- Was the 1 and 4 Orton offense exciting? housepoor---It is not nice to mock peoples religon, be it Christianity, Catholicism, Buddahism, or Muslim.

housepoor 3 years ago

I am not mocking his religion if anything by praying and thanking god in such a public venue and on every positive play he himself trivializes it. To think is GOD had anything to with his success or failure during a game is stupid.

spidermite 3 years ago

It's not stupid to Tebow or millions of other people. If it is over your head - so be it.

rhys jones 3 years ago

Maybe he's just thankful for the gifts with which he has been bestowed. Shame on him.

greenwash 3 years ago

Orton sucked too....I pray everyday that Tebow gets traded...

Jeff_Kibler 3 years ago

Ye of little faith. Elway had some disastrous days early on. I credit the better defense with most hands being healthy and a little inspiration from the other side of the line. The O line was awesome Sunday. Giving Tebow time? The Donkeys ain't gonna win the Superblow, but they have cohesion that I haven't seen for years.

spidermite 3 years ago

I was a little slow on that "amen". That was in reply to Rhy's comment Not that negative greenwash's reply. Jeff, It's good to see our team work well together. They show alot of pride now.

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

Many Christians believe they have an obligation to use whatever stage they've been given to bear witness to their faith. As a card-carrying heathen (who was raised by card-carrying heathens), I have no problem with it. Those who do and choose to whine about it appear very much like... well, whiners, with all due respect.

spidermite 3 years ago

sep, You didn't have to tell us your a heathen. We can tell that by looking at your picture!

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

I am heathen, hear me roar...

I wonder if greenwash & housepoor find my proclamation just as objectionable as Tebow's.

housepoor 3 years ago

no i don't, , I just prefer my football without religion

greenwash 3 years ago

Go ahead call me negative....Im a 45 year season ticket holder been to all the Bronco Super Bowls and I cant give my tickets away let alone sell them..love the Broncs I just think TE-BLOWS ...He reminds me of Tommy Maddox anyone remember that failed experiment?

housepoor 3 years ago

Maybe they could switch the team name to the Denver Crusaders?

rhys jones 3 years ago

Norris Weese, Craig Morton, Jay Cutler, the line of losers goes on and on. At least this flash-in-the-pan knows how to rack up a W.

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

greenwash:

You and I are simpatico as far as the football part of it is concerned. We're at odds re: the religious display. I'm baffled that people like you & housepoor find it necessary to sneer at a 5-second acknowledgement of one's faith - whether it's televised or not. Does it really exert such a negative (or any) impact on your life? I'm not trying to stir the pot; I'm genuinely curious.

Though I and my parents are heathens, their families are not. I've attended oodles of weddings & funerals in churches & (on my mother's side) Buddhist temples, and have never felt put upon as a result.

I'm something of a foodie, and have been known to eat out from time to time. When seated in a restaurant next to a family that chooses to say Grace prior to their meal, I've made sure that me and mine are appropriately respectful to our neighbors and their convictions.

Would you be equally irritated at that family's public display as you are at Tebow's exhibition?

jk 3 years ago

rhys, maybe you better strike old Norris and Craig from that comment since they have both been on a Broncos Super Bowl team. Now we will see if the crybaby,and the leftie make it that far. I was happy to see the pouting boy leave our franchise, and we will see what happens with Tebow. I remember watching our Super Bowl MVP line up under a tackle in his younger days, so I guess anything is possible.

greenwash 3 years ago

Oops I meant took us to SB in 77..my bad

the_Lizard 3 years ago

Oh yes, I'm a believer. Tebow has put the fun back into watching the Broncos

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Greenwash Orton 1-4 Boring Tebow 6-1 First place in weak AFC west. Exciting! I have been watching Broncos since 1968 when I was stationed in Cheyenne in the Air Force so we are about the same age. Obviously you have a lot more money than me since I could never afford season tickets for one year, much less 45. If you are having a hard time giving away your tickets, call me. I will even skip groceries for one week and give you 1/2 face value for two tickets. I am in the phone book. I remember Tommy Maddox. If I remember right he came from Southern Cal. and nothing good comes from California. Do you remember the the statement " Do not Californicate Colorado." Whoops John Elway came from Stanford so I guess that blows that theory.

rhys jones 3 years ago

They were locked out for the off-season and much of the pre-season; the loser Orton took most of the snaps with the starters then, 'til Tebow got his shot. Brady Quinn is an effective backup, also deserves more time, and wouldn't that be a great career, second fiddle much the same as Kubiak was. Tebow gets better every week; this is great!!

jk 3 years ago

Ahahahahaha rhys, so Tebow has won some games, do you really think this glorification is necessary? After all he will be nothing but a loser until he wins a SB right? And to call Quinn an effective backup? Now I know you're off your rocker. Obviously you have never seen him play in a real game! I can only guess you have come into some good meds!!

jerry carlton 3 years ago

It is a team sport! A 1 and 4 team came around Tebow and became a 7and 5 team. It appears that he has some quality that has brought this team together and made them relevant in the Weak AFC west. They have been pretty much irrelevant since John Elway retired.

rhys jones 3 years ago

If I didn't know any better, I'd say some folks WANT Tebow to do poorly, just to validate their beliefs, or lack thereof. I'll bet this really hurts.

Did you see those passes? Catching the receive in full stride? That 2-play drive? No interceptions, since he took over as starter? The one fumble yesterday that wasn't? (The ground can't force a fumble; as soon as the ball touched the ground under his control, the play was dead right there, wherever his knee was.)

I'm only sorry that you biases keep you from enjoying it like the rest of us are.

And I'm glad I'm not as smart as you are. Happy, ignorant bliss.

Scott Wedel 3 years ago

Tebow can make plays. But he is a limited quarterback like Doug Flutie because he cannot make some plays expected of typical NFL quarterbacks because of his extended throwing motion has such a slow release. Good safeties and linebackers should have enough time to react to take away the middle of the field. But when teams like Minnesota decide to let receivers run free then Tebow can hit them. And that scrambling before throwing for the catch and run for a TD was a play that other quarterbacks don't make.

The religion part gets old because it suggests God likes him more than God likes players on the other team. Does God dislike Christian Ponder and cause him to throw that late interception so Tebow's team could win?

rhys jones 3 years ago

Yeah, and the early doubters said Elway gave away his throwing point by slapping the ball first. Announcers are paid to talk, and have you noticed how they jump on the bandwagon of the last play? Whoever made it is probably the best in the NFL at that particular skill, in the third quarter of an afternoon game in an opponent's park, with the wind from the west. Big yawn, let's see how it plays out on the field.

God couldn't care less, but it's fun to hear y'all squawk about it.

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Well Scott, I am really going to open a can of worms because I am going to challenge you on "The religion part gets old........". What part of the religion do you object to? The part where Tebow points to the heavens after a touchdown. I have seen many recievers do the same thing after a touchdown. What about the Catholics who cross themselves after a touchdown? Lots of that goes on. I do not remember which game it was but there were about 20 players from both teams that prayed in the center of the field after the game was over. Maybe they were giving thanks that no one was injured since both teams did not win. I bet you almost had a stroke when Tebow said in an interview that he wanted to thank his Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. You do not hear those words on television very often but the Constitution protects that right under Freedom of Speech. I would think you would support that right as much as you like to speak (write). Does it stir you up when Tebow says God Bless you. I heard Fox say "The Good Lord" in the press conferences several times. Seems like Tebow is polluting even the coach. The young man has talent and character. I guess you would rather have Michael Vick and his dog fighting or Big Ben and his two sexual assault charges or Plaxico Burress who shot himself in the leg while carrying an illegal firearm in a nightclub in New York City. There is no shortage of that type of character in the NFL. I will take a player who believes in Jesus any time since he will not be involved in any of that stuff. I will predict New England will beat the Broncos but they will win the other 3 and make the playoffs. Will lose first round of playoffs but I would call that a success after a 1 and 4 start with Orton. Orton 1 and 4. Tebow 6 and 1. To be continued.

jk 3 years ago

jerry,I am with you on your prediction, but according to rhys unless you win the SB you're a loser! So, I guess for now, Tebow will have to hang out with Dan Marino in the success column. As jerry stated earlier he sure seems to get the team going, and that is great to see. Cutler has more talent in his pinkie toe, but he has a fraction of the heart Timmy has. So it comes down to heart vs, talent, in this case I will side with heart.

"Did you see those passes? Catching the receive in full stride?" rhys what? Doing this once, or if he's lucky, twice in three games doesn't make you a great qb.If you want to witness some good passing see Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees!

As has been stated many times before, and all you Tebow thumpers need to understand, it's the defense keeping us in these games!

Go Donkeys!!

rhys jones 3 years ago

My Prediction: Patriots goin' down too. Laugh now, while you can.

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Rhys I hope you are right but I think to be competitive with the really good teams will have to wait till next year. jk I think Tom Brady fits in with the 2 quarterbacks you named but I hope he is past his prime. The Patriots have won enough Super Bowls for now.

rhys jones 3 years ago

Au contraire; this team gels more every week. If I had any cash, I'd thumb to Vegas and put it all on the Donks to go all the way this year. Had I followed that hunch when I was nearby in '98, I'd be a rich man.

Tom Brady IS an excellent quarterback, and has the rings to prove it. That said, his team is lucky to compete in the relatively wimpy AFC East, while the real power remains out West. Phil Rivers and Carson Palmer can also wing a pass, and with Orton now in KC, at least three of the teams in the division will give you a game. The Broncos have always had the Patriots' number, strangely, and this game is at Mile High.

I feel good!!

rhys jones 3 years ago

Forgot to mention: Defense wins championships.

While Tebow will muddle through as necessary, Doom and Gloom and The Champ will take this team far.

fartpark 3 years ago

He's no Ben Roethlisberger thats for sure. As far as all the praying goes, it's ridiculous. Just play the game and if you must show appreciation to jesus then point at the sky or something. Hearing him at the beginning of every interview say "first off I'd like to thank my savior the lord jesus christ" is getting old. Like watching the church channel, not NFL network.

rhys jones 3 years ago

It should be "I'd like to thank the Lord for creating my Savior, Ryan Clady."

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Rhys I really really hope your prediction comes true and not mine.

fartpark See my comments to Scott Wedel. Ben is a great quarterback, will make the hall of fame some day I expect. You are right, Tebow is no Ben. I seriously doubt that Tebow will ever be charged with sexual assault on two women and recieve a four game suspension. Great football skills do not always equate to good moral character. Nice screen name-shows a lot of class.

fartpark 3 years ago

Well thanks Jerry, glad you like my screen name. The key word is "charged", not convicted. Why is it that in todays society all it takes is someone saying you did it, and all of a sudden you are guilty? Anyways, Steelers to the bowl--again.

jerry carlton 3 years ago

fartpark The NFL found Ben guilty of something since they suspended him for 4 games. Get a good enough lawyer and spread enough money around and you can get out of almost anything in this country. Kobe Bryant proved that in Colorado. To Bens credit, there have been no further episodes so it appears he learned his lesson after the second time. Character matters in sports and life.

housepoor 3 years ago

I wonder how many of you would drinking the Tebow cool aid if he was praying to Allah on the sidelines and praised him for showing him the way to victory at the start of every interview? Doesn’t the Bible say to pray in private?

rhys jones 3 years ago

housepoor -- Tom wrote a cute article about football, and how Shakespeare might take the Broncos' recent roll. I see not a word about God or Jesus in it. Yet your responses have all been ONLY about God and Jesus, with not a word about football, let alone Shakespeare.

What gives? God done ya wrong? You a devil-worshiper now? Maybe a Moslem?

I try to stay from the Bible, myself, not because I don't fundamentally believe, but because it's been through so many hands and rewritten so many times, one can't tell whose agenda is being promoted at any given point. But as I recall, it says to proclaim one's faith loudly and often, and I'll leave it to you to quote chapter and verse in opposition to that.

Many athletes than God, however briefly -- and Mom, and their high-school coach. The fact that That Tebow does it really grates you, huh. Leave it alone; you're not going to change the tide. Leave us our Broncos, and go throw a rock at a church or something.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

"I realize the tragic significance of the atomic bomb... It is an awful responsibility which has come to us... We thank God that it has come to us, instead of to our enemies; and we pray that He may guide us to use it in His ways and for His purposes."

—President Harry S. Truman, August 9, 1945

It has always seemed to me that the people who profess their Christianity the loudest and the most often, turn out to be the most judgmental and least likely to be following the teachings of Christ in their own lives. So I like it when they identify themselves in public; kinda gives me a heads up ...

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

Pheobe:

If your last graph is intended as a stab at Tebow, it seems that you're the one being "judgmental", and not the Christian you're talking about. Ironic, no?

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

No irony at all, Sep. I fully admit I'm judgmental. I never said otherwise. I am not a Christian. My comment wasn't directed at Tebow. It was just a general observation, prompted by other comments. While I may be judgmental, though, like you I was raised to be respectful and tolerant of others' beliefs. In my life, I have found that kind of respect sorely lacking in most professed Christians I have met. I truly admire real Christians; I just haven't met many. The few real Christians I know seem to me to be are more inclined to live their beliefs than talk about them or make public demonstrations. I don't care one way or another whether Tebow prays or does the Mexican Hat Dance before each play. If it's important to him and gives him some kind of peace, then more power to him. I wouldn't even have given it a second thought if it hadn't been for housepoor's comments. There's no getting away from judgement; it's human nature. Tebow thinks God can help him and housepoor judged him to be "stupid"; jlc judged him/her to be "mockin"; you judged me to be judgmental, lol! Think how short these forums would be if we weren't all so judgmental!

jerry carlton 3 years ago

housepoor I would take a team of Christians and Muslims over a team of atheists and agnostics any time. The character of the Christians and Muslims would be generally higher than the character of the atheists and agnostics. There are many Muslims playing in the NFL. Interestingly enough there are many Christians and Muslims in prison. The majority of them come to their religion after their incarceration. There is a country song that says "You've got to believe in something or you wil fall for anything.'

Phoebe Interesting that you would bring out this quote on Pearl Harbour Day, the day that the Japanese brought the U.S. into the largest, most costly war ever fought. Would you have preferred that the U.S. invade the Japanese islands and suffered an estimated 300,000 casualties?

rhys jones 3 years ago

Yeah, Phoebe, what are you thinking? The only ones being judgmental here are you and housepoor, both squawking about religion in your various ways.

I'm sure Tebow says a quick prayer before every bomb he tosses, each in the name of Jesus. Fortunately none nave fallen into the hands of the infidels yet, Praise The Lord. The only ones burned were the occasional DB, but his check still cashed.

Not the millions the Enola Gay fried. Jeez.

The old guy on the bus this afternoon, pushing the Church of Christ with calendar cards and everything, got old fast, glad he picked on the college kid. Churches mean money and the total perversion of religion; now it's lucrative too. Big difference between faith, and religion. I don't think Tebow is in it for the buck.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

jlc - My comment had nothing to do with how I wish WWII had been played. If we play the "What would I prefer game", I would prefer that men figure out a way to work out their differences without killing each other. I chose that quote because I think what some people pray to and thank God for is ludicrous. And, Rhys, I'm afraid I used the most extreme example that came to mind, which I guess got lost between my brain and the written word. I agree with you that "God couldn't care less" ... I don't believe, if there is a God, that He would choose sides in a war or a football game. But I have absolutely no problem with people expressing their beliefs in any way, at any time or anywhere they feel is appropriate, as long as it causes no harm to anyone else. I don't understand why housepoor made such a big deal out of it, either. It's a non-issue. Rhys, you're the one who called housepoor out on the religion thing; I just joined in the conversation and expressed an opinion. Nearly every comment here contains a judgment. Sep calls housepoor a whiner; you ask if he/she is a devil-worshiper; greenwash calls Tommy Maddox a failed experiment. All kind of judgmental comments, dontcha think? Geez, guys, back off. God, I hate football ...

rhys jones 3 years ago

No, Phoebe, you hate what ELSE it is all about. Football is great!!

Don't make it more complicated than it already is. X's and O's are what it's all about, like 0's and 1's during the work week. Multiply by the human factor, add the time factor, and it becomes chess on wheels, quite fascinating. Sorry you miss it.

O ye of little faith, and methinks thinks thou protesteth a bit too much, to pay homage, however loosely, to our influences and instant inspiration, God and Shakespeare.

May the best team win!!

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

I never know where the ball is or whose turn it is. I never see the fouls and I don't understand why the time outs last longer than the actual game. Giant men standing around and occasionally running into and jumping on each other. Early in my marriage, I really tried to understand football, but my now ex-husband thought it was funny to tell me things like ... under certain circumstances, it was okay for the referee to take possession of the ball and make a touchdown, after which he could pick which side he wanted to give the point to and this was called a "conversion play". Thank goodness for the internet. wikiHow has an article just for me: "How to Pretend You Understand Football". I haven't had to put it to use yet, but it's nice to know it's there should I need it. Because, even though I hate football (really, I hate football), I am not opposed to feigning interest in it when I'm outnumbered. Peace.

rhys jones 3 years ago

Phoebe -- I smelled a male in there somewhere, and it must hurt to take a back seat to a stupid game, at least 3 hours a week, and up to 12 or more. Let me apologize in his behalf; he knows not how he hindered subsequent males in your life. He was just having fun, not cruel, we hope.

And I will admit, it probably looks pretty stupid, when the little guy with the ball runs into the pile of big guys. A hole was supposed to magically appear he could squirt through, but it doesn't always work out that way. Cool stuff was supposed to happen, however sloppy it ends up.

It really is a fascinating game, if you can get past your biases. It IS like moving chess, complicated by both the human factor, and the time factor. It's controlled mayhem, 'til the whistle blows, then they're standing around again. (Point well-taken there; I can't wait for NBA again, real action and real athletes.) Still, it's a dang sight more exciting than baseball, its own leisurely summer pastime.

And now that we have hopefully abandoned religion, we can return our attention to the subject at hand: Can Tebow do it? I sorta doubted Elway ever would, the time I saw him line up for a snap behind the right guard -- you shoulda seen the look on HIS face!!

It's more fun yakking about football than Jesus anyway. Now everybody KNOWS what they're talking about.

Good luck, Tim!!

rhys jones 3 years ago

Now even the ANNOUNCERS are saying Divine Intervention. Is this a Movement?

Even the naysayers must admit, a lot of funny stuff happens late in the game. But to be fair to Tebow, I counted at least five dropped passes which got them in this fine mess.

Yet they all stick together, all contributing, nobody perfect.

Say what you will, it's been ages since we had a Broncos team this exciting.

I like Dan Fouts' line, commenting about a Chiefs' pass, first he said That wasn't a Hail Mary, that was a Dear Father, and when the other announcer said Is that a real thing? Dan said It is in MY Church!!

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Orton 1 and 4. Tebow 7 and 1.
Rhys Next week we will see whose prediction comes true. I hope you are right. Phoebe Would you like to come to my house next Sunday afternoon and watch the Broncos? I will try and give you all the limited knowledge I have gained in 60 years of watching football. My wife will be here but she only watches then last 4 minutes since that is when then real excitement starts. We are a non-smoking household but I can find an excellent home-made beer which a friend of mine has given me and some snacks. I am in the phone book.

rhys jones 3 years ago

That ol' Tom Brady sure has a gun I love when the Pats come to town. Doom and Gloom will sure make him run So Tom and his team goin' DOWN!!

(let's hope)

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

Thanks, Jerry, that is a very kind offer and much appreciated. I am currently in Seattle, taking care of my mom, otherwise I'd take ya up on it! I don't think it will still be football season when I get back, but maybe next year you can get me to the point where I at least understand the last 4 minutes. And your wife can teach me what to do with the other umpteen hours and 56 minutes, lol!

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Phoebe Hope your mom does well. Mine died three years ago at age 83 and I still miss her.

the_Lizard 3 years ago

I still have my Mama, so I can only imagine how much you must miss your Mom, especially at this time of year. I'm sure you have many precious memories though. ;-)

rhys jones 2 years, 12 months ago

Yesterday I became immediately concerned when, early in the game, one of the Patriots' receivers pointed HIS fingers in the sky, apparently thanking the Lord.

You don't suppose He switched sides, do you?

jk 2 years, 12 months ago