Cathie Voorhees: Good luck with that

Good going, Steamboat. You piled the city tax higher. That’s terrific. While you’re at it, why don’t you pass the plastic bag tax — oops, I mean “user fee” — too? That would be just great. Then I wouldn’t have a problem driving 20 extra miles to shop in Craig. As a matter of fact, if I get a friend to shop with me, and if we shop less often, we would be saving a lot of money. Not only would we be saving gas, but we also would be able to shop in less-crowded stores in winter and summer. The tourists don’t shop in Craig. And please spare me the old phrase of “shop locally.” The campaign you just ran was about as anti-local as you can get. I can’t wait to see the hundreds of more tourists that are going to come and all the money you are going to make. Good luck with that.

Cathie Voorhees

Yampa

Comments

bandmama 2 years, 10 months ago

Cathie, thanks for having guts to share a view. But I have to ask? Why threaten to take your money elsewhere? While I COMPLETELY agree that bulk shopping and sharing is a good thing and something that many do, how does that help locally? How does stating this, help with tourism dollars? Those of us that work in the trades that depend on tourism realize that by making those darned old "locals" sound bitter does nothing to help so many who depend on jobs to support themselves year after year. A typical ski vacation to Steamboat for a family of four will generate over ten grand to our local economy. Think about it. Hotels, food, ski pass, rentals, a trip to Walmart whatever. Anything that may bring $$$$'s to us is a good thing. And think about how much nicer mud season is when we locals CAN set a bit aside to enjoy our spot in the world. I for one LOVE the after season sales and the quiet after a busy money making season. Without that money making season, I cant afford to support local restaurants, stores and venues. It is a delicate balance of give and take. More than anything I appreciate being able to retain a job that allows me to live in this beautiful valley year round, year after year after year. Just saying.....

captnse 2 years, 10 months ago

You state that a typical family of four vacation to steamboat of will generate over ten thousand dollars to our local economy. If it cost that much to visit SS tourists will go elsewhere. Why tax locals so tourist can ski? Do you really think subsidising Ski corp and the chamber will bring tourists to town. As the depression deepens Skiiers are looking for value not Steamboats big lift ticket price.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

Employers have dropped locals in hiring practices,and this has been going on for years without stop,the Visa Guest Worker Program.People have lost homes and hope because of it,that is the reality.Employers just dont want us anymore.Maybe they want the homes locals have lost for the future use of the new employees they bring in to replace us cheaper?I fear the airline tax created will enable employers to continue to bring these Visa Workers in as usual along with the tourists,something never mentioned.We will be paying extra to support a service that helps the Guest Workers also along with the tourist?Its really none of my business as county voters which I am were not invited for a say.We just buy everything like food for sure in "Your"town.No busses down our way(you like to send one to another county for workers,not your own.I think untill Hillary Clinton stops the Visa Guest worker Program(I wont hold my breath),we will never have our jobs back,locally Steamboat has shown that they just dont care about the rest of the county.I just hope that we can get a good new commissioner for South Routt who can bring independent industrys to South Routt and our familys need not depend on the Steamboat Economy for a way to make a living.Your policys are hurting this end of the Valley.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

Some suggestions for more industry in South Routt" 1.Solar farms on some of those small propertys that are zoned ag and dont have animals.Other alternative industrys as well. 2Pellet stove factory . 3.Biking friendly stop points with shade and nice seating in towns along 131. 4.Small factory to produce event specific souvineers for the passing athlete's, to sell at the stops.Free historical information available about the town at the stopover as a token of friendliness and giving them an interesting read on the stop. 5.Build those bike tracks for training in South Routt also for many of the bikers will also live down here.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

6.Make a great trail for mountain bicycles around the Stagecoach Dam. 7.Open up the old Stagecoach Ski area like it should have been opened thirty some years ago.Then in the summer it could be mountain bikes instead. 8.No gas and oil.

greyrider 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Cathie, You summed up the frustration & anger many of us feel on this issue. Those of us who live outside of SBS didn’t get a say in the vote, but we still get to voice our opinion with our wallets.

Bandmama, you just don’t get it. SBS just sold the locals down river, and turnabout is fair play. You are right, it’s all about give & take. Problem is that once again it’s the area residents doing the giving & ski corp. & the SBS businesses doing the taking. And for what it’s worth, the business I operate is directly affected by the airline service here. When they cut back flights & the number of tourists dropped, I felt it immediately. I made up for it by sweeting the deal (dropping prices) to bring in more local clientele. It worked quite well, and I have the added benefit of a stronger local customer base that doesn’t disappear after the first week in April. It was a simple business strategy that was easy to apply and has (modestly) increased our bottom line. And I get the added bonus of a clear conscience knowing I’m not “making it” on my neighbors back.

heboprotagonist 2 years, 10 months ago

Self-serving, inconsequential, and petty letters like this should be limited to the comments section.

They have no business being printed.

Regardless of how anyone feels about taxes, we should all be able to agree that this letter is absent of any critical thought, possible alternatives, or even specifics. Notice how she fails to mention which taxes she's opposed to. I'm guessing she doesn't like any taxes, but it's not like we've got much to go on here. Instead we've got idle threats and myopic pessimism.

However, my main concern isn't with the author. It takes some guts to write a letter to the editor and be willing to have your name printed next to your thoughts. I applaud her efforts. Instead I question the editorial decision to print it. Surely, someone else has submitted a more suitable letter in the days following the local election. If not, fill the space with more ads or perhaps an locally produced editorial cartoon.

To summarize, what is the point of printing this letter? What good does it accomplish or what direction does it nudge us as a community? What new information is provided and what should we have learned?

My only takeaway is that this individual doesn't like taxes, and that in retaliation to those of us who voted for them she might recruit one other person to shop for groceries in Craig. I'm sorry, but that doesn't warrant a Facebook status update, much less space in the newspaper.

bandmama 2 years, 10 months ago

Grey-I am sorry, I dont see where I said I didn't get it. I do. There are lots of folks that drive to work IN Steamboat but drive from Yampa, Hayden, Craig, Oak Creek, Pburg and other surrounding areas, so yes this does effect those not living directly in the city of Steamboat. I think it is FANTASTIC that you changed your business habits to fit the changing economy. Good for you! You did the right thing by taking care of the year round customer. It is what is needed, as well as tourist dollars. I am not "making it" on anyones back. But having wrked in the service industry for years, I am intelligent enough to know not to bite the hand that feeds me either. My point is that while you did what you could to retain a customer base, this letter stated that instead of supporting people like you. Cathie was stating that she was taking her businss elewhere. Would that not effect you in any way? If not great. But it is something to consider.

Ben Tiffany 2 years, 10 months ago

heboprotagonist,
Online comments are always printed,unless they are pulled for reasons like offensive language, potentially libielous content or something like that. Just letting you know.

heboprotagonist 2 years, 10 months ago

Justaskier- I meant printed in the print edition of the paper. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

One more thing,our south Routt merchants need our support more than ever.The more money we invest in our own towns ,they will start to bloom.Our grocery merchants,Montgomerys Merchantile,and Select Soopers are real warriors to stay open with the money spent in Steamboat that they dont get any part of.Bonfiglios Drug is just extrodanary in the gifts and decorations offered,he also goes beyond the call to help us all in the community with the pharmacy.If we stay more focused in shopping at South Routt business's,they will be able to provide more bargins and variety.These people know what they are doing to survive this long and are more than capable of handling your needs if given the chance.Take a look around and spend more money in South Routt where ever possible.

greyrider 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey Band, My apologies, what I said was a snide remark & shouldn’t have been phrased that way. I think we both “get it”, we’re just looking at it from two different perspectives. Sure the tourist dollars count, but not so much that the residents of Routt County should have to subsidize the ski operation. This tax only widens the rift between SBS businesses & the area residents, & puts us further under the ski corp. thumb. The fact that it needs (supposedly) to be subsidized should be a wake up call for local business to start making nice with the area residents. As sun pointed out, we do have options other than the ski industry to support our local economy. (Although I wouldn’t advocate going “all in” for bicycle tourism either). We all have the choice not to bow down at ski cops. feet, & the folks who can help us do that live right here, year 'round. Sure, this isn’t much of a tax in the big scheme of things. Nonetheless it is a tax we are forced to pay, some of us without any voice in the matter, to subsidize a private enterprise. Further, if you are a business that stands to benefit from this tax, like it or not, you ARE being subsidized at the expense of the public. Yes that includes me & no I don’t like it! I feel like I am being forced to drink the Kool-Aid, want it or not. You bet I’m worried about becoming collateral damage because of this, but I don’t blame the locals. To that end I started damage control over a month ago, letting customers know my feelings on this issue and, with only a few exceptions, it has helped solidify my customer’s loyalty. (Come to think of it, giving the locals a “2B rebate” on their bill is a great idea!) And I dare the businesses that pushed for this to frame & display their “We support Ref. 2B” posters at the entrance to their businesses for the next five years. Any takers?

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

Montgomerys handled all of my food orders for the restraunt I had in Yampa and gave me the biggest mark down possible.He can get everything fresh as needed with cooperation from Leonards trucking grocerys in atSelect Soopers.He will even order cases for you or what ever you want.The problem with a store is turnover when people dont frequent enough.I honestly disagree with you about his quality.Best fresh cut steaks anywhere in this valley.Another business to buy from is Yampa Valley Beef across the street from Sonja at the Cuttin Corral.More restraunts should to carry it,I did.It was very popular and she even delivered sometimes.They pass the inspections just fine or the doors would be shut by the health department ,guaranteed.What a sour and negative remark.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

Bike riders are going to flow through this area one way or another,you see them all.Do they get a good impression and possitive experience on that ride?I hope so, ,but it seems hard and there is no spot for resting from Wolcott to Toponas.McCoy would be ideal.Also a point in Yampa that sells bike repair items needed,Montgomery has about everything for a a general store also.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

If we don't get jobs in Steamboat then we don't have money to pay that tax for the airline,infact we dont have money for anything.Beyond broke ,uncapable of shopping at even these merchants stores and the sympathetic Steamboat businesses ,even if we want to shop.When the wallet is empty with no more employment in site,no one buys anything even if they want to.When people from Europe and other places are first choice employees,they send the money home to that country and its not spent here.Maybe we pay medical ,education for them while they are here,and recieve less employement taxs at the federal level for our Tax base, if we were work the jobs we used to have,it pays into local economys at all levels like we used to do.Many of us cleaned your condos for years and years till you bring in other countrys workers for the jobs.Over buildt the condos.To hell with us is what is said by your current employment actions.You are letting Steamboat employers who like the cosmetic change of European,South American workers etc.,eliminate Americans from the playing field and padding their own pockets.You cannot squeeze blood out of a turnip and local constructions industry and restraunt and hotel workers,grocery workers ,all have been screwed out of the pie.That means we dont have money to spend anywhere.Tell Hillary Clinton to stop the Visa Guest worker program,Tell Randy Baumgartner,he came through town with big oil busses saying he wants jobs for us,tell him to get the Visa workers out so we can have some immediatly,Obama the same and rebublicans are the same,they wont get our local jobs back,Does this mean this is permentant and we will never get them back?It seems if politicans ever were going to do it ,they would have stopped this program by now,They are just no good for the workers of America. A food and merchandise coop with these South Routt merchants might be a good plan.Get the food by cases cheaper and split cost with those who order. This is hyper inflation now they say.Better do something.

Webby 2 years, 10 months ago

It seems everyone against this tax forgot the tickets and flights are more affordable for all of us locals too. Anyone who has flown out of YVRA during the off seasons, or summer for that matter, knows that flights are really expensive, if available at all. We all need to remember what a valuable asset the airport is to us.
And Cathie if you are going to drive to Craig or other to do your shopping, I'd bet the gas and TIME you spend is much more expensive than the few extra dollars you'll spend by shopping in town.