Steven Ross: Pot is a problem

While the debate rages on about marijuana distribution centers in the Yampa Valley, our children have increasing access to a Schedule 1 controlled substance. Infants are exposed to it before birth, adolescents’ brains are fried, asthma rates climb higher and marijuana-related DUIs in Routt County are on the rise.

Google the AAP, BMA (British Medical Association), AMA (Australian Medical Association, mate), and NYT for additional information and vote in November.

Steven Ross

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Scott Wedel 2 years, 11 months ago

Oops, I found a RAND report and a British drug policy report that both say that Heroin is worst drug, second tier includes meth, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco, while third tier includes marijuana, ritalin and caffeine. That marijuana is a schedule I controlled substance is an obvious historical mistake. The health effects of marijuana is simply not that severe and certainly much less than physically addictive drugs such as alcohol and tobacco.

I know children are constantly exposed to substances which parents hope they do not use or abuse. I think it is no harder to teach a child that it is unhealthy to use marijuana than to teach a child it is unhealthy to use tobacco, alcohol, meth or any other number of substances. I am no more concerned about a child seeing marijuana plants that a bottle of beer or a pack of cigarettes. They are all examples of unhealthy adult behaviors. Tobacco is especially nefarious because nicotine is so addictive and typically started as a teen (when it is illegal) and very hard to quit. Alcohol is popular when used in moderation, but becoming drunk can lead to horrible decisions and even death. It is also physically addictive and destroys people's health and causes early death for alcoholics. Marijuana will waste your days, weeks, months and money and inhaling smoke is bad for your lungs.

As Ron Paul said: "How many people here would use heroin if it were legal? I bet nobody would. Oh yeah, I need the government to take care of me, I don't want to use heroin, so I need these laws."

For me the question is whether dispensaries decrease illegal usage of marijuana by making people that would use it regardless into legal regulated customers. The answer is yes so I will be voting against banning dispensaries.

mmjPatient22 2 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Ross-

I don't know if you could be any more horribly misinformed about the current state of reality. I'm being mean and I'm not making any personal jabs.

You're just wrong.

It's so nice how all of the prohibitionists get to just lay out whatever lies they feel like spitting, all the while the pro-cannabis crowd gets laughed at and mocked with every single reference and source that we use to back up our side of the debate. Talk about double standards. And I thought that we're allegedly supposed to be the brain-dead ones.

Stephen Evans 2 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps we should be allowed to vote either for or against alcohol Or marijuana. Look at the evils of alcohol and the effects prohibition Had on stopping drinking. My dad said that drinking was more fun during prohibition because you felt like you were getting away with something illegal. Same with marijuana now, the government has no right to control recreational drug use. People use it with no deleterious effect to them or their Community . Let's vote no to both alcohol and marijuana and let the criminals Make the profit. Just like it used to be. Capt'n Steve

Glenn Little II 2 years, 11 months ago

Let's just vote to LEGALIZE MARIJUANA so that way we can grow it for agricultural uses to help fix what is wrong with this screwed up world. You can still ban all the dispensaries and everyone will just grow there own pot instead !!!

freerider 2 years, 11 months ago

This guy is ignorant as it gets

brainwashed to the max - actually believes the government reports paid for by big pharma

And would like the government to dictate -

Key word is DICTATE -

Sorry fool - I was born free - move to North Korea and see how that feels

Jodi Dorris 2 years, 11 months ago

You all are misinformed about marijuana. Freerider, Mr. Ross is not ignorant, he is a very highly educated man. Born free is one thing, why would Mr. Ross choose to move to North Korea? What a ridiculous statement, were you under the influence at the time you posted that statement? Educate yourselves then re-post.

hereandthere 2 years, 11 months ago

So inform us jodidorris. And you might start by providing some factual evidence to support Mr, Ross's assertions of exposure to mj by infants before birth, the frying of adolescent brains, as well as the increase in asthma rates and mj related DUI's. And please, to be fair and balanced, provide us with facts showing how alcohol impacts our community.

Is this really going to be the quality of the anti pot arguments? Shoot from the hip, gut feel stuff. Or do you guys not have anything to really bring to this discussion?

grownintheboat 2 years, 11 months ago

Growing up in Steamboat I was introduced to pot at the age of twelve. Three years before I ever tried tobacco or alcohol. Why was it so accessable? Because the drug dealers got to decide when I was the right age to sell to. and because of this prohibition many of the problems related to marijuana became apparent. Some of the only reasons that our government has banned the substance is because of hemp's industrial potential to overthrow other products like cotton. During the 1930's many of the users were of an hispanic or african american decent, giving the government a good reason to put uprising minority behind bars. The laws created around Marijuana are out of date and causing many of Marijuana's problems that you talk about. Their has not been one death reported in history directly related to marijuana, nor is their one case of lung cancer. Recent studies done by the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine show that marijuana does NOT affect driving performance other than a small decrease in speed. So if your trying to tell me that more DUI's are given out then these innocent people are being wrongly prosecuted. Your more likely to get in an accident under the influence of caffeine of tobacco. Marijuana is the most beneficial and thereputic substance known to man. It has successfully treated hundreds of diseases throughout history. I have been an avid user for many years and have lived a successful life being a professional athlete and college student. Marijuana has helped me in many ways helping me control my ADHD along with back spasms and sleeping problems. In my mind it is a miracle herb that has just been misunderstood for the last century. The problem is the law not the substance, make it legal with no underage purchase making it much harder for the youth to obtain. Taxing it will also boost out economy putting billions back into our government. Its more than an obvious decision, the only problem is that much of our population is still misinformed believing the reefer madness lies. So Stephen, Jodidorris and the rest of the misinformed population, get informed, ignor it if you really don't like it, and maybe one day we all might be able to smoke some truly legal bud!

bill schurman 2 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Ross,

You surly have seen my other posts. No sense trying to trying to convince someone who hasn't a clue. Good thing that drugs will soon be gone if the ignorant have their way. Have a drink on me.

Bill

IoSolUno 2 years, 10 months ago

Well jodidorris, if Mr. Ross is so intelligent, then let's hear him say something that validates your assertion, because his opening statement is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard.

Duster 2 years, 10 months ago

Who cares about the argument of whether it is good or not? That's for the recreational users. What we are talking about are the terminally ill patients whose pain and suffering may be eased by the use of MMJ. At that point in thier treatment it does not even matter whether it is healthy or not. The simple fact is that the people of Colorado voted for this exception to allow patients with truly qualifying events to be able to use MMJ. recreational users have hijacked this to be able to use MJ anytime they want. In addition, the doctors and the dispensaries are earning a quick buck by taking advantage of the law. Everyone of them should be ashamed of themselves. It's like it is ok for them to obtain a script under false pretenses. Shame on you. Grow up!

Duster 2 years, 10 months ago

You can't convince anyone because they are not a drug addict. How long have some of you been using this drug. Do you think your life would've turned out differently if you didn't have your secret. Do you think it is cool to flash your card as if it is a badge of courage. Get real. Your not going to change people's minds and when the voters arrive in November don't be surprised with the outcome. You have a small chance to make something good come of this IF you can turn it around. Opinions about MMJ are like sssholes, everybody's got one. You would be better off reaching out to the community and listen to what they have to say. Maybe a middle ground could be found that doesn't require all this work.

mmjPatient22 2 years, 10 months ago

Dust-

Do you have a SINGLE piece of evidence that supports your FLAT OUT LIE of...

"What we are talking about are the terminally ill patients whose pain and suffering may be eased by the use of MMJ. At that point in thier treatment it does not even matter whether it is healthy or not."

....or do you just randomly pull stuff out of your hind-side for the mere relief?

There is no such thing as a cannabis law that exists JUST for the imminently dieing. Prove me wrong hotshot. . .