Susie Amsden: Ranch is needed

— Having read the editorial that was published on May 4 concerning plans for the Sweetwood Ranch along the Elk River, I would like to speak in my defense as well as many neighbors out here in our subdivision. For the record, Mr. Wood has no knowledge that I am writing this. Many neighbors do not have a problem with Mr. Wood’s wanting to establish a small guest ranch with the capability to offer different types of event services. In fact, I would say the majority of us are in favor or simply do not find it that big of a deal. Undoubtedly, I respect the wishes of the neighbors that do not feel this way, but the bigger picture is being missed. Where in Steamboat Springs is there a place that can offer an all-in-one package that will provide for special events on a ranch-like setting? Sure there are places out by Steamboat Lake, south of town as well as west, but they are not close to town and do not have the Elk River running through the property. Mr. Wood has done a terrific job with the architect of the buildings to fit into the natural surroundings. The main house is not a huge 12,000-square-foot home, but much like a ranch home you would expect to find in the West.

The county planning commission needs to look at the value this business endeavor could bring to our community. Jobs would be created to help run these special events, money would be spent on lodging, food, entertainment, etc. by the guests who come to our town. This means more tax revenue for our town to spend, what a concept! The biggest complaint I have heard is the noise, which I do not believe would be that big of an issue. Most of the events that incorporate music would probably be inside due to the fact it is just too cold to be outside, especially at night, and that includes summertime. I support Mr. Wood with his idea to move his ranch business forward, it would have a positive impact upon our community, I really can’t see what all the negatives would be. Heck, if he wanted to make it a nudist camp he would still have my support. It would still be generating income. Along with an increased sale of binoculars. As for the noise factor, that seems to bother a few of the neighbors, I would suggest they sit out on their decks at night and listen to the music with a glass of wine. It might liven things up around here. I would rather listen to the music than the coyotes that sometimes howl all night long. You can’t tell them to quiet down, believe me, I have tried.

Susie Amsden

Steamboat Springs

Comments

beentheredonethat 3 years, 7 months ago

susie, you would rather listen to music than to the coyotes, while living in the country.....may i suggest you move into an urban area and leave the countryside to those who appreciate nature.

seeuski 3 years, 7 months ago

No, you may not suggest that to this nice lady!!!

steamboatsprings 3 years, 7 months ago

Well said Susie! You bring a thoughtful and balanced view.

pitpoodle 3 years, 7 months ago

I disagree completely with Susie. The neighbors have a right to enjoy the property they purchased, in some cases purchased many years ago, without the county agreeing to making changes that ruin their quality of life. If neighbors want to live near concert venues they would have moved into town. Mr. Wood purchased the property with the intention of have a ranch. Now, because he wants to make more money, he will not hesitate to encroach on the peace and quiet that his neighbors now enjoy. Mr. Wood lives in town, not at the ranch so, what does he care? Susie apparently justifies this encroachment because it means more tax revenue for our town to spend. Just when do the commissioners value and respect the residents of Routt County? Only when they think they will raise more revenue?

More money for the commissioners to spend does not necessarily make a positive impact on our community. How about leaving us alone - what a concept!

jerry carlton 3 years, 7 months ago

I bought my 5 acres 12 years ago and love hearing the coyotes at night. I also like the deer, porcupines, sandhill cranes and geese flying overhead, countless species of small birds, chipmunks, foxes, coyotes, and even one bear that I have seen on my property in 12 years. I have had two litters of foxes and one litter of coyotes raised on my property in a den on the hill 200 feet from my front porch. I sat on my porch and watched them play in the tall grass. If I wanted to listen to music on my porch at night I would have bought a house in Old Town and listened to the summer concert series at Howelsen Hill, the western music from the rodeo grounds every Friday and Saturday
night, and maybe even a little music from the Ghost Ranch Saloon.

Yvb My bird feeder is out and they are starting to come in. I have had one dove on the ground below it. Last year I had as many as 8 doves at once.

jerry carlton 3 years, 7 months ago

yvb I've got no problem with hunting coyotes. If we still had wolves, they would take care of the excess coyotes. Would be rough for the cows and sheep though. Had three doves today.