Phyllis Coletta: Pot not news

It’s one thing to hide behind the First Amendment when accepting lucrative full-page ads from Aloha — a marijuana factory — but quite another to report pot contests as “news.” We can now put to bed the illusion that pot is a “medical” substance. Do drug companies have contests to see which pill gives you the best “high?” Those evil pharmaceutical companies! Funny how potheads are treated so differently by the unbiased press.

“It is a mellow high, sort of a couch potato, evening smoke,” one man is quoted in pushing his drug. Seriously, is this “news?” Do you not see the irony in putting this story next to one about cocaine arrests?

In a town that struggles with sky-high suicide rates, with depression and alcoholism rampant in its population what is beneficial about glorifying as “news” a drug that dulls the senses and turns people into amotivated listless morons?

Go ahead and accept advertising money from these charlatans (after all you are a defender of the First Amendment) but don’t inflict this paper’s now bottom-of-the-barrel “news” standards on your readership.

Phyllis Coletta

Steamboat Springs

Comments

muck 3 years, 6 months ago

Michael Phelps won 8 medals in the 2008 Oympics.

Tim Lincecum of the San Fransico Giants was 2008 and 2009 Cy Young winner in Major Leauge Baseball.

Santio Holmes of the Pittsburgh Steelers 2009 Superbowl MVP.

All three have been busted or photographed smoking MARIJUANA OR POSESSION OF MARIJUANA..

Not bad for a bunch of guys who have "a drug that dulls the senses and turns people into amotivated listless morons"

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

You said it "My black lab Chopper – like many dogs – is a complete reflection of me. Dumb as a rock, and bordering on the chum line for his species. He is the canine equivalent of the Village Idiot, but he does have this Jesus-like quality that brings little kids out of their houses when he trots down the street. “Chopper!” they exhort, arms flailing, “Chopper’s here!” And he is, right there, in the moment, not a thought in his head." This quote from Phyllis blog pretty much says it all.

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

Oh and surprise surprise Phyllis is a member of the Mainstream medical profession who has a vested interest in keeping people on the drugs they prescribe! The last one hundred dollars i spent on pot went a lot further towards easing my pain than the hundred before that, that went to a doctor who told me i had what they call in the medical profession a stiff neck and to take some Ibuprofen!

dave reynolds 3 years, 6 months ago

I see a pattern here..anyone one who...OMG..doesn't agree or is against "mmj" is called names(both sides) and some of you are on them like a pack of wolves....between this and the Oak Creek board member you really aren't doing yourselves any favors I must say it is very entertaining.people have thier own opions..I'm sure there are people out there who really do need it and then theres some who don't..ibuprofen seems alot cheaper than weed but I guess you get what you pay for..

seeuski 3 years, 6 months ago

Does mmj calm the senses? If so,then what is wrong with the strain being used locally?

mmjPatient22 3 years, 6 months ago

see-

Some of us are too fed up with being criminalized over our choice to consume cannabis. The only thing that any of you naysayers have is that lies that spawned all of the propaganda about cannabis. Believe what you will, but we rest assured knowing that our lives are better having seen past those lies.

seeuski 3 years, 6 months ago

mmj, Those of us who used to smoke the weed have a right to our opinions based on our own personal research, agreed? The only people who have a propensity on these forums to stretch the truth and use unprovable anecdotes about people like George Washington is you. And this sentence in itself illustrates the real issue, "So, because we're all so high, we're just supposed to lay down in the face of LIES being spread about our beloved cannabis? We're supposed to just look the other way and let it roll off our backs?" Anyone who has a love affair with a weed that gets one high has a problem for sure, especially when they express and exhibit anger and motive towards action of some sort, no don't let it roll off your backs, just respect others rights to disagree with you without being called names and threatened.

freerider 3 years, 6 months ago

seeuski

you completely contradict yourself , you stand for less government yet you are for keeping pot illegal ...you can't have it both ways... marijuana has been proven to cure cancer ....hello ...that would be cure cancer ...and it's documented

there is no profit in the cure and the American cancer society is one of MMJ biggest opponents ,,,,geee I wonder why $$$$$

The AMA used to lobby to put Chiropractors in jail ... The AMA kills more people than die on our highways with pills

The point is this is America and we have the right to " CHOOSE " and not let people like you tell us what to think or how to think it and as long as the BS and lies about marijuana continue being told supporters of MMJ have the right to fight , and fight we will until the lies are put to rest and if it means taking the gloves off then so be it ...

freerider 3 years, 6 months ago

there's the link for the cure for cancer

OMG !!!! beware it's MARIJUANA

What will the kids think !!!!!

freerider 3 years, 6 months ago

hey Brent and pilot staff ,,,since you seem to enjoy stirring the pot on the MMJ issue's

how about a little investagative reporting on the real benefits of marijuana

a little un-bias reporting on this link would be a sure fire way to spin some heads

Fred Duckels 3 years, 6 months ago

Phyllis, are you single? My suggestion to you pottheads is to get a job and pull your weight, that is the best medicine god ever created. I can cite proof exponentially beyond any of the snake oil logic being peddled here.

seeuski 3 years, 6 months ago

Threats of violence. Pot obviously doesn't cure anger.

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

Did any of you supporting Phyllis read here letter? Paddlefisher did you read her attack? Seeuski did she respect our rights without name calling? Just respect others rights to disagree with you without being called names and threatened would be good advise for her! Only print things in the local paper that i agree with? Do drug companies have contests to see which pill gives you the best “high?” No, they have long drawn out research on humans desperate for cheap medical care and by judging from the warning labels on those drugs my guess would be many have died or been injured in the process giving much needed business to the countries litigation scum! Why would it be ironic for a story about cocaine to be right next to this story the two have nothing in common! And throwing MMJ in the mix with alcoholism, depression and suicide give me a break!!

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

Fredduckels there we go with the name calling again!

sparkle 3 years, 6 months ago

Fred, what does this have to do with jobs? Why do you want to know if Phyllis is single?

JJ Southard 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey Fred, having a job and pulling one's weight in society, especially as you do being a business owner, involves creating a safe work environment where your employees are not at risk of death...or actually get killed working for you.

My friend, you have no ground to point fingers at anyone in this community. Please don't fall off your soapbox and break your hip, you old fart you.

Sparkle, he wants to know if Phyllis is single, because maybe him and his hard-knuckle earned money is lonely at night. Hey Fred, my wife is gorgeous and laughs at ugly fools like you.

Now.....Phyllis, I will agree with you that "pot contests" are not news. There is about one or two of these contests around the state monthly it seems like. The people who put on the contests make a bunch of money and that's all it is really. The judging is flawed and the competition is weak.

What does have validity, but is also not necessarily news, but valid....is the testing of the potency and medicinal value of the plants being grown at the MMC's. In the coming years, when the lab testing stabilizes and more controlled testing is in place...it's validity will ever increase.

Pharmacuetical companies do "test" there meds on people...these are referred to as "studies". These studies are usually flawed too, are too small and are usually funded by the pharmaceutical company that created the drug. Take Vioxx for example, it was deemed 'safe'....yet dropped thousands of people dead from coast to coast and around the world until it was pulled from the market and the company paid out more cash to victims than any other medicinal recall ever in history.

People trusted doctors. Doctors trusted pharmaceutical companies. Pharmaceutical companies killed people. The doctors were blamed and the Pharmaceutical companies paid off everyone to shut up, which a mere fraction of their billions.

I love America....HA!

rhys jones 3 years, 6 months ago

My brother died at 48 from liver cancer, prescribed by doctors for 30 years or so. Half his medicine cabinet was prescription drugs -- allergens, decongestants, antihistamines, pain pills (dental work) 4 rows of pills with personal labels. Maybe a doctor or two along the way said This could lead to liver problems down the road, to which I'm sure Dave replied I'll worry about that then; just give me the pills now. By the time he DID worry about it, it was too late. Nobody thought to call all the doctors on the prescription bottles, to tell them how this experiment came out. He wasn't part of a clinical trial anyway, not BEFORE he had cancer. So Dave died for nothing, a flash in the pan.

The AMA didn't help at any stage -- all they did was cause the agony, then prolong it. They actively suppress cancer cures -- there is far more money in "treatment" and medication, leading to only one conclusion. No money in cures.

Generally speaking I avoid doctors and drugs like the plague, with one notable exception: I recently underwent a colonoscopy, urged on by Tom Ross' column last December. They cleared some potential problems, and I am worry-free for the next several years. So they're not ALL bad; orthopaedic surgeons are also big in ski towns.

Nevertheless... if you're gobbling an AMA diet, don't say you weren't warned.

Phyllis Coletta 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, note to self: don't piss off folks who smoke pot! Even taking shots at my dog! Aside from curing cancer (what great news!) I thought pot was supposed to minimize anger. Guess not.

Before calling me names and getting ugly and personal maybe folks should know that I am 100% in favor of legalizing pot. It's a waste of law enforcement's time and we should TAX it and make some nice ching. I'm just saying we need to stop this ridiculous pretense of saying pot is "medicinal" - it's no more medicinal than a shot of whiskey, ok? It's an intoxicant. Period. And if it stops pain and cures stuff (like people have been claiming about alcohol for generations) then everyone should have at it.

Make it legal. Regulate and tax it, and stop these shenanigans where charlatan doctors make ridiculous money writing ridiculous prescriptions. I'm no fan of pharmeceutical companies either. I'm actually all about people maintaining a clear mind and consciousness. But I didn't expect to hear civil dialogue. When you push the pot button in this town, stuff explodes.

So, if any of you anonymous folks would like to rethink the unkind way you responded to my opinion, that would be great. I wrote to Jean White and Randy Baumgardner (they actually write laws and represent us) asking if either would consider introducing a bill to legalize pot, and repeal the "medical marijuana" law.

rhys jones 3 years, 6 months ago

The Pilot pushed the button when they published YOUR article. Must be another slow news day; let's get the folks yapping again. Wasn't there a plane wreck somewhere?

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"So, if any of you anonymous folks would like to rethink the unkind way you responded to my opinion, that would be great."

The (mostly anonymous) insult-hurlers around here won't be "rethinking" anything, they're not very big thinkers to begin with -- believing anything and everything pro-pot that they find on the Internet right down to it being the cure for cancer, no studies needed. Clearly, the amount of pot they smoke interferes with their critical faculties. But yeah it is amusing watching them hurt their own cause by attacking anyone and everyone who points out anything they don't agree with -- like making the assumption that anyone who thinks MMJ is a sham must obviously be anti-cannabis, or that those of us who want commercial pot growing kept the hell out of our neighborhoods are obviously in favor of returning to prohibition. I'm waiting for a study explaining why potheads can't grasp any nuanced position on this topic, and must reduce all debates to black-and-white (before resorting to insult-hurling).

rhys jones 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, the level of this discussion has degraded rapidly, fueled by the deep-thinkers among us who strive to educate those less fortunate, such as myself. I see insults and barbs flying freely in both directions, mostly under the cover of anonymity. Which is why I made my AMA comments yesterday, as well as my slow-news comments. One was an attempt to contribute in a meaningful way to this discussion -- no insults or names, just a point to consider, backing up JJ: The AMA is most defensive, their money-grubbing policies actually a threat to the populace, in direct opposition to their stated goal. They continue to kill Americans to further line their bank accounts. To them, mmj is a real threat. I have never heard pot linked with liver cancer, unlike most of their potions.

The other, slow-news comment was aimed at anyone who has nothing better to do with his/her time than camp out in the forums all day, composing tripe and clever insults to hurl at the other side, knowing full well nobody is going to change their mind based on evidence presented here. We see what we want to see, and adjust all else to fit. I'd be curious to hear from ONE PERSON whose opinion was changed by what they saw presented here. Waste your time how you may, stewing in your angst -- I prefer to concentrate on positives, and produce something actually useful for my fellow man. I don't care which side you're on -- anybody need any Web work? I feel better when I have made something out of nothing. Build, don't destroy. Help, don't hurt. Encourage, don't criticize. You make your own bed, and some folks just love lumps.

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

In response to Phyllis and my reasons for commenting. When i first read your letter i thought to myself why would someone be so upset over such an article in OUR paper to write a letter so full of disgust. You blast the paper for selling ad space to a legal business, thats what they do they sell ad space! Then you go after their content that contest is news in the same vein that johnny winning the Town Challenge or Betty Sue winning a ribbon at the county fair is news most of us could care less but dont write the paper and go off on a name calling rant to have those articles censored! Then the name calling starts POTHEAD,AMOTIVATED LISTLESS MORONS im sure meant to belittle anyone who would disagree because anyone who uses MMJ are the above aforementioned and not worthy of an opinion or argument. So i looked you up and to my amusement found your blog comparing your dog to yourself im sorry if i offended your dog it was not meant for him! And then your response I laughed out loud at the Before calling me names and getting ugly and personal part and im sure any one who read your letter did not mistake it for a pro legalization stance, in my case it is legal regulated and taxed! I use MMJ for injuries suffered in the military nearly forty years ago and take great insult from your comments! It is the law if you dont like the law have it changed like we did, dont insult and belittle us for what we do I know you aspire to be a compassionate person so try showing a little dont be so judgemental! No hard feelings PEACE,LOVE AND LIGHT

muck 3 years, 6 months ago

Nurmidst, Thanks for your service! If there is anything i can do for you please feel free to contact me. Its awsome you shared that story with us. I know a few men in your position that also use MMJ for war related injuries. Its kinda funny how some folk just ASSUME.

freerider 3 years, 6 months ago

Phyllis

you have obviously not done any research about marijuana and the cure

that makes you an ignorant ass , and you will never understand the anger until your mom or dad or kids die a long preventable death from cancer

kevin fisher 3 years, 6 months ago

I typically avoid wading into these stupid, mud-slinging "debates." However, we need to dispel the myth about cannabis and intelligence.

There is no, I repeat no causative relationship between cannabis usage and sub-median native intelligence. Our last three presidents smoked pot. Carl Sagan smoked pot. Forty-two percent of the adult population in the U.S. has smoked pot. Just because we all know a "lazy stoner" it does not mean that one may draw a conclusion about an entire group. Ever heard about the Nickerson Confirmation Bias? Look it up.

So far as the "get a job" insight from our illustrious contractor goes...I have one and I devote about sixty hours per week to it. Not to mention the fact that I have provided jobs for another thirty-six "lazy stoners." Not too bad. Though maybe, if I wasn't so demotivated I'd have fifty employees by now?

Lastly, Phyllis, I agree with you. Cannabis should be legal. However, your apparent surprise at the fact that the readers had not drawn that conclusion from your op-ed is the type of non-linear, hazy thinking you might find in a "pot-addict.". Your tone insinuated no such stance. Hold not your flamers accountable for what I read to be an easily predictable response.

Kevin Fisher

hereandthere 3 years, 6 months ago

But it's no fun Kevin, unless we can stereotype people. It makes it so much easier to hate the group that we do not agree with if we can identify the whole group with the lowest common denominator. Which is all that this debate has ever been about really. There is nothing wrong with using pot. Especially compared to the legal drug that is so devasatating to our community, All we have seen on these posts by the anti pot crowd is a bunch of non-relevent anecdotes, with no facts at all to justify their position.(I do miss Aich) I am still amazed that we have a Sheriff and Police Captain that took the time to go before city councils and try and make an issue of pot dispenseries, without even a nod to the far larger issue of the excessive use of alcohol in these towns. Says a lot about their personal bias, and even more about their commitment to quality law enforcement.
Also an excellent post by Nurmidst. Two great posts, without either blogger having to resort to name calling.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 6 months ago

Seems to me that the fundamental divide is whether mmj or full legalization would affect consumption.

MMJ and legalization advocates argue that everyone whom wants to use mj has no problems acquiring and using mj. To the extent that there are negative health effects then they are less than the negative health effects of alcohol and tobacco. That criminalization only results in putting people into jail and guarantees a very large lucrative illegal smuggling and distribution business which is dominated by gangs. Thus, the biggest impact to be expected from legalization would be to deprive gangs of a significant source of revenue.

The opponents of MMJ and legalization tend to argue that it would send a bad message to kids and will cause them to use mj. That mj being illegal is what stops all sorts of law abiding people from trying and using mj. And that gangs will just transfer their illegal operations into legal operations and will retain their dominance over the production and distribution of marijuana.

jk 3 years, 6 months ago

And then there is that other group that says they are all for mj, even though they stereotype users as " amotivated listless morons?" Yet even though they say it should be legal they gripe,,whine, and complain on these forums about how the mmj industry is just trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes. They stoop so low as to ask how they will possibly ever expain mmj to their kids yet they supposedly advocate legalization?

I would like to pose a few questions. How are you going to explain mj to your kiddies when it gets legalized? How do you explain alcohol to them now? Do you really feel it is wise to suppress this budding (pun intended) industry, and why if you support the legalization of mj would you feel this way??

I understand that people feel the mmj industry is pushing their luck, but if you feel it should be legal why is there so much concern? Why do you spend so much time demonizing people for enjoying a substance that is less addictive than a morning cup of coffee? That is far safer physically than alcohol, prescription drugs and alot of over the counter drugs?

JJ Southard 3 years, 6 months ago

I'd like to hear an answer to jk's questions....

muck 3 years, 6 months ago

76,000? The CDC reports that around 35,000 died of liver disease related to alcohol, and another 41,000 or so died in alcohol related car accidents. MADD reports around 13,000 auto deaths with a BAC of over 8%- apparently the CDC is not so lenient. The Florida Medical Examiners Commission reports 4179 DUI alcohol deaths in Florida, and 466 alcohol overdoses, but does not mention cirrhosis and liver cancer. With the 4179 figure in Florida reported by medical examiners, I extrapolate that the CDC number is probably more on the mark nationwide than the MADD numbers. I would guess that the figures are underreported a bit, because many families refuse autopsies for their obviously drunken relatives.

These figures also don't reflect criminal acts like murders and suicides, many of which are directly alcohol related.

The WHO states the following as TOP three deadliest lifestyle deaths: 1. Smoking 2. Alcohol
3. Poor diet

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"you have obviously not done any research about marijuana and the cure"

You obviously haven't either, since your "reference" link was to a product website, not any research. There is some interesting research about CBDs shrinking tumors and halting angiogenesis, but it's a huuuuuge leap to get from there to "marijuana cures cancer."

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"There is no, I repeat no causative relationship between cannabis usage and sub-median native intelligence."

Yes, there is, when used by kids under 18, along with double the risk of psychosis later in life:

Does anyone yet understand why some parents want to shield their kids from pot?

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"Not that huge a leap, Eric."

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"I understand that people feel the mmj industry is pushing their luck, but if you feel it should be legal why is there so much concern?"

Because the abuses of the MMJ industry have directly resulted in a backlash which takes us further from legalization, which prevents more states from decriminalizing, which prevents cannabis from being relisted to Schedule II. Again, the vocabulary word is "counterproductive".

"Do you really feel it is wise to suppress this budding (pun intended) industry, and why if you support the legalization of mj would you feel this way??"

Because the voters supported decriminalization for medical purposes. The MMJ industry has been treating that like full legalization, when demonstrating that the rules can be followed is a requirement for further decriminalization/legalization. Again, counterproductive.

"Why do you spend so much time demonizing people for enjoying a substance that is less addictive than a morning cup of coffee?"

Because the folks being demonized insist that, unlike their coffee, their pot habit is somehow "medicinal" when 9 times out of 10 it's strictly recreational. Honest debate, please -- if you smoke pot to get high, just say so, instead of this b.s. about medicating.

1999 3 years, 6 months ago

Eric...so let people shield thier kids from pot. thats fine.

but even you have to admit the handwringing about MJ and "think of the children" is BS .

kids should be taught that all drugs (gee how many are on ritalin and anti depressants) are detrimental to their mental/physical state when abused.

wheres the handwringing about those drugs Eric?

how many precriptions for ritalin do you precribe to kids? from what I read....ADHD is FAR OVER DIAGNOSED>

do you care about that?

or are you a willing partcipant?

Scott Wedel 3 years, 6 months ago

But early alcohol use also has horrible effects for rest of life.

The question of exposing kids to mmj and alcohol is not that they are expected to use them, but to gain some understanding of why adults use them so that the kids as they become adults can act responsibly.

Oak Creek has too many bars and way too many with alcohol issues to be able to shield kids from the fact that some adults abuse alcohol. (Why did the power go out that night? Some daddy crashed into the power pole and you do not get into a car if the driver, even if mommy or daddy, is not able to drive safely. Is that person being helped home going to be ok? Probably, that is what being very drunk looks like. Why is that person so stupid today? Because he has been drinking)

It seems very easy to me to also tell a child that marijuana and any drug or substance that is used by some to feel better for a little while is not healthy. But tomorrow is another day and someone can start being healthy tomorrow.

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"Eric...so let people shield thier kids from pot. thats fine."

Then stop changing the subject.

"but even you have to admit the handwringing about MJ and "think of the children" is BS"

No, I don't. With the occasional exception, parents in Oak Creek don't let their kids run wild. I lived in Steamboat Springs enough years to understand that y'all have a real problem with that. But in any case, I don't believe that most kids are drunk and addled by High School, so I do believe that most parents are doing a good job -- despite the conflicting messages sent by the marketing campaigns of the pharmaceutical, tobacco, and alcohol industries. Those industries have well-entrenched lobbies which preclude voters from having any real say. MMJ doesn't, so it's just a fact of life in America that parents will make their voices heard when it comes to how pot is marketed, before a powerful pot lobby gets organized to legally buy influence from our politicians in exchange for (anonymously, even, nowadays) financing reelection campaigns.

"But early alcohol use also has horrible effects for rest of life."

I have no clue what you're talking about, unless you meant 'abuse'. I was allowed the occasional beer from age 13; I spent the summer in Germany as an exchange student when I was 17. When the kids there party, it's the parents who provide the alcohol and the location (one Mom circulated with a tray of screwdrivers), prevent throwing-up-drunkenness, and arrange rides home by calling other parents (who know where their kids are).

What we have here is bizarre by comparison, when binge-drinking, alcoholism, and drunk-driving rates are phenomenally lower in Germany than here in the U.S. The kid I lived with was a drunk, but he went to the liquor store in the next town over so nobody would tell his parents; overall, though, the Germans know how to drink socially and responsibly. Here, back then, we had 3.2 beer for the 18-21 set and a bloody border with Wyoming (where the drinking age was 19) from all the college kids drunk-crashing on booze runs.

So I see no harm in letting teens drink socially under adult supervision. But this doesn't hold true for pot. I know plenty of parents who used to smoke a whole lot of pot starting as early as age 12, but not one of them wants that for their kids. So it makes sense to me to apply stricter rules to pot than we do for alcohol, tobacco or prescription meds (or would apply, if not for the powerful lobbies). If your argument is that pot should be legalized and sold alongside cigarettes, my argument is that both should only be available in smokeshops where kids aren't allowed.

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"I use MMJ for injuries suffered in the military nearly forty years ago and take great insult from your comments!"

What works for you, though, may not work for everyone:

Oh, I know, organized medicine is the root of all evil. ;-) Seriously, though, the MMJ industry often comes across like the snake-oil salesmen of the 19th century. Science has not proven cannabis as a safe and effective cure-all with no downside.

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

Im sure that is true Eric, the case in your link i would believe is rare this guy hearing angels and demons talking to him has more problems than just using MMJ i am a child of the 60s so have had years of contact with MJ users and can think of one person out of hundreds and hundreds who have this type of reaction but your right its not for everyone! But in my case it may have saved my life i have been on and off narcotic pain meds for years that at times became a nightmare. It doesnt leave me pain free but allows me to have a life without physical addiction to narcotics, i dont think my loved ones are worried they will find me dead with my vaporizer tube in my mouth!

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

But then again maybe the MMJ was opening the doors of perception to entities that are actually there!

nurmidst 3 years, 6 months ago

After deeper thought maybe this guy was actually Jesus Christ but was dismissed because he used MMJ ;-)

muck 3 years, 6 months ago

Eric this is week 4 of the saga. Where are the cops? What other HARD EVIDENCE do you have? Wiggins? How come he has not arrested anyone? And just so you know Eric some of those 1,100 doctors that have recommended MMJ in Colorado have written "recommendations" for more than 6 plants per person. I know the law states 6 plants per person but i know of at least 1 person that lives in that location that has 24 plants on his/her card. Law enforcement has a 1-800 number with 24 hour access to the Colorado Health Department used to varify anyone on the registry within minutes. AND i hate to BURST your bubble but Jacob will not buy any product from anyone. So what do you think they are up to?

muck 3 years, 6 months ago

Eric- I read your answer on other threads so YES i do agree with you that in fact if a "second" party is caring for those plants that is in violation of Amendment 20. And i can tell you that EVERY despensary in Routt County would adivse against growing more than 6 per person for personal use. I also feel that if Steamboat bans its three dispensarys that you aint seen nothing yet! Oak Creek and Milner will EXPLODE with sales and the need for more product. Things are in the works for Oak Creek if Steamboat Council nixes those Steamboat Despensaries because of the majority open mindedness of our beloved Town Board and some DEEP, DEEP pockets. I wish you luck. PEACEOUT

Scott Wedel 3 years, 6 months ago

Teenage alcohol use leads to bad consequences:

Of course, it is hard to determine if young people already suffering from issues merely start using alcohol and marijuana or if the alcohol and marijuana CAUSE the mental issues.

kevin fisher 3 years, 6 months ago

Eric-

I'm generally a bit more diplomatic on this forum but.....it seems to me that anything you write is compromised by the fact that you either clearly have limited reading comprehension skills, or choose to ignore evidence contrary to your previously held beliefs (here's where the Nickerson Confirmation Bias comes into play again).

You wrote:

"You've linked to evidence that CBDs shrink tumors; but shrinking tumors isn't a cure for cancer, and there's nothing on your link explaining how this makes marijuana a cure for cancer. So, yeah, it's still a huuuuuge leap."

...from my link:

"A dose-related decrease in the incidence of hepatic adenoma tumors and hepatocellular carcinoma was observed in the mice. Decreased incidences of benign tumors (polyps and adenomas) in other organs (mammary gland, uterus, pituitary, testis, and pancreas) were also noted in the rats. In another study, delta-9-THC, delta-8-THC, and cannabinol were found to inhibit the growth of Lewis lung adenocarcinoma cells in vitro and in vivo .[4] In addition, other tumors have been shown to be sensitive to cannabinoid-induced growth inhibition.[5-8]

Cannabinoids may cause antitumor effects by various mechanisms, including induction of cell death, inhibition of cell growth, and inhibition of tumor angiogenesis and metastasis. [9-11] Cannabinoids appear to kill tumor cells but do not affect their nontransformed counterparts and may even protect them from cell death. These compounds have been shown to induce apoptosis in glioma cells in culture and induce regression of glioma tumors in mice and rats. Cannabinoids protect normal glial cells of astroglial and oligodendroglial lineages from apoptosis mediated by the CB1 receptor. [10,11]"

ANTITUMOR EFFECTS, GROWTH INHIBITION, APOPTOSIS, REGRESSION

You see sir, this is brainy speak for killing and CURING cancer.

If I chose to read only that which I agreed from your previous passages I could come up with a quote like this:

"I provide alcohol to teens as early as age 12."

Now, I know that's not exactly what you wrote, but you did write those words in that order.

Any opinion you express as fact has been compromised by your unwillingness to accept new truths. Take off the blinders.

Now, to step out of the muck....I'm not sure who here has dealt personally with someone battling cancer? I have had eight close family members diagnosed with the disease and have nearly 1000 volunteer hours under my belt for Hospice. Traditional cancer treatments do work, but the side effects are often worse than many other diseases themselves. However, when the decision is one which is life or death- we have but one choice.

...continued

kevin fisher 3 years, 6 months ago

So, wouldn't it be just freaking amazing if we could dump some money in cannabis and cancer research and find a therapy that has listed as one of it's most serious side-effects: Euphioria. Beats the heck out of this list:

Compassion. Sovereignty over body and mind. Are these such societally damaging virtues to hold true?

Kevin Fisher

Scott Wedel 3 years, 6 months ago

Kevin Fisher aka routter, You know you can change routter (anonymous) to routter (Kevin Fisher) which would probably make more sense since you are not anonymous.

As for euphoria - it appears that every human culture from the least technological jungle tribes to modern society representing every religious tradition recognizes psycho-active drugs. From alcohol to peyote to mushrooms there is the concept of the spiritwalk, visions and so on.

It is no coincidence that these psycho-active drugs were banned in the early 1900s. It was the development of psychology and the theory that all behavior faults could be traced to psychosis, neurosis and whatever other psychological "treatable" conditions that caused psycho-active drugs to be considered bad and thus something to be banned.

There is now much greater recognition that the brain is not some machine in which defective thought processes can be identified and corrected, but that the brain chemistry is a very complex system that affects mood, emotions and thought processes. Seeking euphoria appears to be something that can be considered normal. Now psychology is more interested in the side effects and what else the person is sacrificing seeking euphoria.

IoSolUno 3 years, 6 months ago

I would love to join in this intellectual conversation, but it's time to water my plants. Say what you want, but I live MY life as I see fit and I allow everyone else to do the same. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get away from all you "civilized people"

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"You see sir, this is brainy speak for killing and CURING cancer."

No, it isn't, not by a long shot, which each of those studies takes pains to point out. Shrinking a tumor does not cure the underlying cancer, and the shrinkage is neither permanent nor does it lead to the destruction of the tumor, so you're taking a huuuuuuuge leap to call marijuana the cure for cancer. These tests have not advanced to humans yet, so there's no way to know whether the duration of the shrinkage would be longer in humans than mice, or shorter. All I will say is what I've said before, which is that MJ prohibition set cancer research back by several decades. At best, in mice with cancer, lifespan is increased -- the cancer isn't cured.

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"Traditional cancer treatments do work, but the side effects are often worse than many other diseases themselves."

Which is why cannabis is so promising as a treatment for cancer -- non-toxic and tumor-specific, when used at far greater concentrations than are used to treat pain from cancer. While there's no research about the side effects of these concentrations, there's no evidence they're anywhere near as bad as those of the approved treatments or the cancer itself.

Eric J. Bowman 3 years, 6 months ago

"Eric this is week 4 of the saga. Where are the cops?"

Oh, it's been going on longer than that, since even before these folks were my neighbors. But you do ask a question that's on everyone's mind.

"Wiggins? How come he has not arrested anyone?"

Because it isn't his jurisdiction unless OCPD allows it (I have no knowledge of the status, there). But it's interesting that you think a pot bust is only a phone call away, and that not being busted yet is evidence of legality. I'm pretty sure these things take time, given the limited resources of local law enforcement (OCPD/RCSO).

"And just so you know Eric some of those 1,100 doctors that have recommended MMJ in Colorado have written 'recommendations' for more than 6 plants per person."

Uh, yeah, of course I know that, I've written about that. However, that doesn't make it legal. MMJ clinics have sprouted up around the state which specialize in dubious recommendations, in terms of patients and amounts. Their days are numbered.

"I know the law states 6 plants per person but i know of at least 1 person that lives in that location that has 24 plants on his/her card."

I'm aware (but the concern isn't the occupied units). Why do you think I keep advocating for a six-plant, two-ounce limit for Oak Creek, which cancels the affirmative defense for more? Being "allowed" to have 12 plants flowering constantly works out to way the hell more dope than one person can possibly consume; restricting to six plants removes concerns that the patient next door is trafficking.

"AND i hate to BURST your bubble but Jacob will not buy any product from anyone."

WTF are you even talking about? I haven't brought Jacob's name into this, nor have I suggested any such thing. My only position involving Jacob is that Oak Creek doesn't have the resources, primarily a full-time police department, to support his industry. I've also rebutted assertions that there have been no complaints, by pointing out the odor issue.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 6 months ago

How about the news of yesterday with OCFD fire chief and OC Public Works director along with a county building inspector showed up unannounced?

County Building inspector was there because of an anonymous complaint made Wednesday night and he displayed the professionalism of being willing to come back if a better time was convenient.

But it appears that OCFD Chief and OC Public Works director both violated OC municipal code 1.16.010 which requires that both needed to give 24 hours written notice of intent to inspect.

After my repeated objections and their repeated threats to get a court order, I finally relented and allowed all to inspect. They found no urgent safety issues so comments about it being an electrical time bomb have been proven FALSE.

There had been some professional electrical work done without a permit, but the master electrician I had contacted to get a permit had been trying to work with the Town on improving the service connection to the building. Town is being unworkable so the existing service is going to remain.

muck 3 years, 6 months ago

Eric i will save you a link and let you read it straight from the AP.

CENTENNIAL (AP) - A Colorado doctor accused of writing a shoddy medical-marijuana recommendation has been cleared by a suburban Denver judge who said the physician didn't violate the law when he recommended pot to an undercover police officer who complained of back pain.

Dr. Toribio Robert Mestas was cleared of charges including forgery and marijuana distribution. Arapahoe County District Judge Kurt Horton ordered the case thrown out last week after finding that Mestas complied with constitutional requirements about recommending medical marijuana.

Mestas was charged after recommending marijuana to an undercover officer who complained of back pain and trouble sleeping but didn't tell the doctor he had "severe pain," a qualifying condition for medical marijuana. Mestas testified in court that such a diagnosis was implied.

dogking09 3 years, 6 months ago

I was ADDICTED to weed...smoked it all the time.when i didnt have it...i was upset emotionally. MJ killed my lungs. I woke up every morning hacking up the "no tar" marijuana.looked alot like what i see smokers hack up. Listen weed is a drug..its not medicinal just like this fine lady said. its ok to want to legalize weed and still be against it medicinally. jk (anonymous) says...

I would like to pose a few questions. How are you going to explain mj to your kiddies when it gets legalized? How do you explain alcohol to them now? ... Why do you spend so much time demonizing people for enjoying a substance that is less addictive than a morning cup of coffee? DrGreenGenes (JJ Southard) says... I'd like to hear an answer to jk's questions....

JJ my old DAvid Alllan Coe lookin buddy...I got some answers for ya...and i prolly smoked more pot in my life than you ever thought of. I KNOW i definetly grew more. So i can answer jk with some validity. I will explain MJ as a drug TO MY CHILDREN , just like alchohol, tobacco, caffeine etc.and the associative problems that I had with each.i.e experiences etc I will explain to them that drugs are for adults. That it is ok to try different substances but to do so with self control. I will explain that Achohol can rob a persons life.and so can marijuana. And i will provide honest and truthful stories in both cases. I would not advocate my child to try either until they were an adult. I would explain to my child that marijuana is not any more medicinal than alchohol. And I would again provide examples from my life. And if you wanna sit on my lap i could tell you too.. .I beleive that MJ should be legal. but i dont think its medicine and i have my own personal experiences that educated ME. Why is it so hard for all of you to understand My, as well as others, arguement that MJ should be legal - but there is very little ( alchohol too ) medicinal values inherent in the DRUG. Its a nice avenue right now to legalization - i get it...but its so BS!!! and for some reason that is such a point of contention. 95% of MMJ users only really care about getting high. As far as demonizing about something thats less addicting than coffee..get real...I got more than one old muscle car with thousands of miles on it lookin for a lil dope to crush that BS statement. As far as less dangerous..my Vicodin dont make me puke up black nasty lung parts...that cant be good...i dont know guys...that just cant be good. I know what youll drop now JJ..the vaporizer...great invention...i think that is awesome..much better tool to administer the Dope. I dunno i want you guys to be right, i really really do...but this crap dont make MY CANCER GO AWAY!...you want painkiller and all in one medicinal drug??? take care of yourself...get in shape...work hard..love hard..live hard..and dont hire illegal immigrants....Peace Out...I still love you guys on a molecular level......(and yes marijuana affects analytical thinking...lol)

SMRFF 3 years, 6 months ago

Dog - Just because MJ is not an appropriate medicine for you does not mean it cannot be for someone else. I'm sorry, but you are just one person, and one person alone is really not that accurate of a sample size.

Vicodin may not make you puke up "black nasty lung parts" (you 100% sure that the marijuana caused that? You know you can eat it like food or vaporize it, right?), but the Tylenol sure as hell can ruin your liver, and the opioids sure as hell can stop your breathing. Hence, the ridiculous amount of overdoses from prescription painkillers.

Just sayin.

dogking09 3 years, 6 months ago

SMRFF... ill take that..

Maybe just maybe im gunnna think all this over for awhile, because you are absolutely correct about the side effects of all drugs.~ Mother Nature or man made.

Im gunna go take a short walk.