Humane Society to hold discussion on animal cruelty Thursday

Past Event

Routt County Humane Society: Discussion about animal cruelty

• Thursday, March 31, 2011, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Centennial Hall, 124 10th St., Steamboat Springs
  • Not available

— Members of the Routt County Humane Society hope to send a clear message to local officials that animal cruelty should not be tolerated and that those convicted should be punished.

The local nonprofit organization invites community members concerned about the issue to an Animal Cruelty in our Community meeting from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Centennial Hall, 124 10th St.

“If they can voice what they would like to see happen with abuse situations, that would really help our elected officials in how they handle the situation,” Humane Society Co-President Diana Childs said.

The discussion will be moderated, but people are encouraged to speak their minds, Childs said. A petition will be circulated calling for stricter penalties for those who commit animal cruelty.

Steamboat Springs City Council members are being invited to the meeting. Fourteenth Judicial District Chief Deputy District Attorney Rusty Prindle is expected to attend, as are Steamboat Springs Police Chief JD Hays and Detective Dave Kleiber.

“I’ll talk about what resources are available from the city,” Hays said.

Childs said the meeting is meant to draw attention to animal cruelty in general and will not focus on the man who is suspected of shooting a dog March 12 in the Indian Trails subdivision. The shooting has drawn anger, and animal cruelty is on a lot of people’s minds, Childs said.

“We are definitely a dog-friendly town, and this is not acceptable,” Childs said.

Del Herman, 70, was arrested March 22 on suspicion of shooting a Labrador retriever that was wandering on his property. After Herman was arrested, police say he confessed to the crime, saying he was frustrated with loose dogs on his property. Herman posted bail and is next due in court at 2 p.m. April 6. The District Attorney’s Office filed charges Thursday. The charges are aggravated cruelty to animals, a Class 6 felony; and misdemeanor disorderly conduct related to discharging a firearm in public.

Prindle said he would not be able to speak about the specifics of Herman’s case at the meeting because the case is ongoing. He will be able to talk about how the District Attorney’s Office handles animal cruelty cases and the penalties associated with certain kinds of cases.

“I can talk about the law that is applied to animal cruelty cases,” Prindle said.

Comments

Colette Erickson 3 years ago

Perhaps the DA's office rep. can explain how that office will be taking this matter more seriously than they did the Wisecup prosecution back in the early '90s. Or, for that matter, more seriously than the horse situation still unfolding down by Stagecoach.

greenwash 3 years ago

Hopefully they will discuss raising the fines for dogs off leash and for owners who are perpetual offenders.

Shame on those who dont pick up after their animals.

LEASH YOUR DOG AND PICK UP YOUR POOP....IT POLLUTES AND IS DISGUSTING !!

bandmama 3 years ago

Hmmmm, I just can't decide, a pile of doggie poo to go along with the bird poo, the cow poo, the horse poo, the cat poo the bear poo the elk poo the moose poo (on and on and on) or millions of plastic baggies sitting in a landfill. Man, Life sure has some tough choices for you sometimes.

bandmama 3 years ago

WHAT???? Not a single response to the support of not picking up doggie poo in plastic bags? (HERE????? EGADS!) Not one? I am a bit disappointed.Thought for sure that this would at least bring some life into on line chatty fests. (BTW, if my pooch and I are on frequently visited paths, yes I do pick up, in PAPER bags. but if we are out and about, no.....I dont! HA!)

greenwash 3 years ago

Domestic vs. Wildlife obviously your not very smart.

Ill just toss my crap into your smelly yard.

THX for the info.

bandmama 3 years ago

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!! Now, I wouldn't want "your" crap in the yard, that is just nasty, but if the pup really needed to go...................

greenwash 3 years ago

How about we hire Chula to paint a big POO on the side of your house ?

housepoor 3 years ago

Maybe old Del will volunteer to speak, obviously he was trying to be cruel by wounding the animal and not just killing it.

bhad 3 years ago

Housepoor, He was probably trying to send a message to the dog owner to keep their dog on a leash and off his property. Do you think the dog owner was going to go and pickup after her dog when she was too lazy to take him out in the first place?

wendy harvey 3 years ago

The meeting is about animal abuse. A dog wandered onto Del's property and he shot it in the hind-end. Bleeding and yelping, the dog hobbled home while Del watched from a few feet away. I get you Greenwash...poop in your yard is a drag. So is your point that the violent reaction by Del Herman was justified? That the real issue here is not what Del did but rather why he did it? So by that logic, whatever happens to frustrate and enrage me is fair game for me to shoot? As I have mentioned previously, speeding in my neighborhood makes me crazy...really crazy. I scream and yell from behind the closed doors of my townhouse as people zip past. I think the speed limit should be lowered and I think the fines should be higher. And yet sigh I can NOT shoot the people who speed. Shooting the dog because he was tired of dogs in general on his property is indicative of an unstable, sick person in my opinion and I do not think the guy should get off with a slap on the wrist. What he did is a Class 6 felony in our state and I want him to get the year in prison. And yes, Greenwash, the Arnones deserved a ticket and a fine for letting the dog roam. But really, that's not the issue at hand. How it was handled is the issue....

bandmama 3 years ago

wsefert- you are absolutely correct. There is a huge difference between a little poo in your yard and shooting a helpless animal. Do I appreciate it when neighbors let thier pups go in my yard? Not really, but it happens. I dont shoot them. I pick it up and get on with my day. Dont think of it as the end of the world as we know it . greenwash- you need to find a way to channel that anger

bhad- a better way to send a message would have been leashing the dog, walking back to the owner and letting them know there was an issue. Shooting a dog in such a thoughtless way isn't just sending a message to the owner. It is sending a message to the entire community that this dude is a nut and a danger to the neighborhood. It still makes me sick to think of what could have happened if a child had been a few steps behind her unleashed dog when he took aim and fired away.

chickadee 3 years ago

Bandmama,

I like your first post. Seriously. I thought that I was alone all of this time wondering WHAT IS THE POINT of all of these plastic bags that I collect for dog poop? There are some weeks when there is hardly anything in my trash except for plastic bags of dog and cat poop. Sure, I agree that piles of poo on high traffic trails is unsanitary and foul. But how GREEN can it be that the garbage man comes around in his big arse truck and just to empty a waste mgt bin full of pet poo?

And, what will we dog owners do when if the grocery stores ban plastic bags?

Paper bags are not that easy to find. Am I supposed to buy them? And have them shipped to me via UPS? In a box that I will discard? It all seems like such to much poo about nothing.

And sure, I know there are cute designer bio-degrading dog poo bags. I have bought them on line. I think that the point with these bags is that you can leave them on the ground to degrade, but if you do, expect to get the side eye from passers by.

I have trained my dogs to poop when and where no one is looking.Maybe that is the answer...i really have no idea.

chickadee 3 years ago

p.s. ya think Del will be hiding in an underground bunker while this meeting takes place?

greenwash 3 years ago

bandmama, Im not angry , Im annoyed that some think its OK to let their domesticated dogs (Any age or size ) just blatently off leash because they think its OK to do so or that is no big deal.

** I absolutely dont agree with shooting an animal or starving an animal or not giving an animal adequate shelter or access to fresh water.Violators should be fined and repremanded.Not just a slap on the wrist either .

That being said , Keep your dog on a leash , pick up after it , stop letting them roam and disturbing the nesting wildlife (especially this time of year).

And everything will be cool !!

Fred Duckels 3 years ago

I watched a herd of elk behind my house suffer this winter and about half of the herd died. The law says no feed but I would have gladly furnished some hay. The coyotes fared pretty well though. The animals valiantly worked to find feed, it was tough to watch.

bandmama 3 years ago

chickadee- lol! Thank you. Those paper bags? Check out the Dollar Store, brown paper lunch style bags. Or Wal Mart. And you bring up a very good point, those poor trash men. And I dont care where the old man hides, as long as he doesn't have a firearm with him. greenwash-are you more distrubed by a dog being off leash or the poo? Seriously. You seem to be pretty adament about both. If you put things in perspective, the unsafe levels of radiation in the atmosphere this week is going to cause MUCH more damage than a little poo. And, keep this in mind also, we are extremely fortunate to live in Steamboat. Most dogs are more up to date with shots and such than some children. (not that that is a good thing for the children....) Now, about that distrubing wildlife thing. No, I do not in any way shape or form, approve of letting a dog masacre a little nest of birdies or bunnies. But come on, they are animals! It is good for said wild life not to get to comfortable. Keeps the herd strong. Keep them alert and vigilant. Animals by nature share a common sense of being on guard. Let them loose that and they are good as gone anyway. Let the dog bark a little.

greenwash 3 years ago

Keep your dog on a leash and pick up its poo....Its that simple.

You love your dog....I dont.

I dont want a (your) strange dog coming up to me or my kids or my dog (leashed of course).I dont want to step in your dogs poo in a park or on a trail , I dont want fecal matter all over the river banks from lazy selfish dog owners , I dont want to watch your dog run freely unattended and allowed to scare wildlife away.

Your analogy of letting your dog harass wildlife is obsurd and typical of many dog owners and you should be ticketed appropiately .

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.

bandmama 3 years ago

greenwash-ummmm, why should I be ticketed for allowing my LEASHED dog to bark at wildlife? I stated in an earlier post that when walking in high traffic areas I do pick up, only I use paper bags not plastic. It is natural thing for a dog to be protective of it's territory and sorry but I was very thankful when my dog barked while on his LEASH at a bear on Anthony's circle one night a few years ago. Thought he was doing his job and yes the bear wandered on away. It sounds to me as though you expect your dog to be....not so doggy-ish. Do you make him wipe his feet when entering your home? And lastly, you are getting way off topic here. This is about cruelty to animals. Not the doggie park and poo. You come across as being more concerned about poo in your own little yard than the fact that some nut fired a gun at a helpless 10 year old dog in a neighborhood that has a few kiddos living there and then lied about it, I dont care if the dog took a dump the size of Texas every morning. The use of the firearm on the animal is not acceptable .

jk 3 years ago

greenie, this all goes for your kids too, I know you love them but I don't! I don't want to see them unattended playing in the park. I don't want to see them chasing the wildlife, nor running up to me asking me any questions. I most definately don't want to listen to their screaming as they enjoy themselves at the park, nor do I want to pick up after them as they leave their candy wrappers laying around. In other words get over yourself!! We all live here and we all have to get along!!

bandmama 3 years ago

And one more little thing to ponder. You do understand what happens to wildlife that becomes to use to humans right? They sometimes become problem wildlife and what happens with a problem/nuisance animal? They end up dead. That is cruel too.

exduffer 3 years ago

Watch out greenie, you may end up with a bunch of burning paper bags on your door step.

MrTaiChi 3 years ago

Just a little time on my hands, so I thought I'd share this story:

A co-worker lived in a grossly rural area and had a german shepherd dog that she kept tied to a doghouse outside. I disapprove of such treatment, as it verges on neglect, but back to the story: They had a problem with a black bear raiding their garbage can. One day the bear was helping himself to some leftovers and the dog was hyper, barking, jumping and straining at its leash. This went on for some time, and the co-worker, afraid to try to scare off the acculturated bear, just watched as the bear got tired of the noise, walked over to the dog and clouted it with a paw, killing the dog in its tracks.

Life is hard for people and animals. Pets bring us such joy and happiness, but with that comes the responsibility to give them proper care. We should strive to have our pets be good neighbors, but if your territory is soiled by someone else's animal, remember not to sweat the small stuff, and all things in that class are small stuff.

greenwash 3 years ago

Geez , now I have a freaking headache .

Have a good day.

ftpheide 3 years ago

What is a grossly rural area? Why didn't your co-worker untie her dog so it had a chance?

bandmama 3 years ago

green-I bet your headache doesn't hurt as much as the pain that dog felt......... And just have to ask for grins why doesn't dog urine bother anyone? Did anyone go to the meeting???

jerry carlton 3 years ago

If you step in dog urine it does not stick to your shoes!

greenwash 3 years ago

Bandmom , I thought of you yesterday , I went to look at a foreclosure that smelled like cat piss and had dog scratches on all the doors in the house.Its a good deal except the cat pee is strong.So yes Urine is nasty especially when saturated in same spot.

Are you one of those people that kisses her dog on the face??The reason dogs are considered dumb is because they dont think or comprehend like humans, that is why they smell butts , lick their privates ,eat/ roll , smell,other animals poo.So next time you kiss your dog on the face.... Remember who is actually the stupid one.

Yes I know and can comprehend when I have a headache.

NO the dog that got shot really didnt know what happenend.Cause it cant comprehend like a human..

DUH!!!

sledneck 3 years ago

When the deer, elk, bear is walking around looking like it's part of natures perfect plan that animal is the Governors. It is under his protection and can not be harmed or harrassed outside the bounds of the law.

Funny then that when the governors bear is in my trash or harrassing MY animals (dog) or his deer or elk are eating MY feed then it still can not be harrassed while MY dog can be legally killed for doing the same type thing.

If it's the governors animal then it's the governors mess to clean up when it's lying on the roadside dead, when it's destroying crops, when its rolling trash cans at 2 in the am. If I allowed my dog to rummage through trash it would be killed, and rightly so.

Garbage might kill bears but so do rifles. And if the governor won't keep his animals on their proper leash someone else should be allowed to take care of the problem.

bandmama 3 years ago

green-thanks so much for thinking of me! I'm sorry that the best you can do is check out urine soaked foreclosures for an abode. Also glad that you clarified that you feel it is ok to cause pain to a living creature only because they are not intellectually on the same level as yourself, shows what kind of a human you are. While I have been known to show my dog love by kissing his old furry face I do try to make sure I am not kissing him on the mouth. Most of us dont for reasons stated. Oh by the way, most urine soaked homes are not the fault of the cat, it is the fault of lazy humans who dont take responsibility for the animal. sled- you have every right to protect your animals and home. Again, if allowed to protect it's territory a good dog might help to deter some of those wild critters from getting into your trash, feed ect. You make a very good point. jlc- yes, urine does stick to your shoes, you just cant see it. ewwwwwww!

greenwash 3 years ago

Bandmom , you should change your monikor to "clueless".

Foreclosure = rental property

Clarified that I feel its OK to cause pain = Where , When did I say that ?

By the way , 100 cow/calves , 5 dogs ,12 horses = lots of doodoo.

Go ahead , you tell me . Smarty pants

bandmama 3 years ago

green- I will take your suggestions to heart...(and it is soooooo breaking right now.hahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! HAAAAHAHHHhahhaaahaaa!!!!!) Why dont you go take your dog for a walk, pick up poo and re read your comments. (It is a beautiful day to go bag poo!!!)

greenwash 3 years ago

I dont envy your husband (if he still around) thats for sure......your a nut job.