Police: Steamboat man confesses to shooting dog

Police say Del Herman told them where to find gun

photo

Del Herman

— Steamboat Springs Police Department Detective Dave Kleiber said Steamboat Springs resident Del Herman, 70, has confessed to shooting Duke, a 10-year-old Labrador retriever, on March 12 in the Indian Trails subdivision.

“He was just very frustrated about the number of stray dogs that are at his property, and this was the method he chose to deal with it,” said Kleiber, who added that Herman was “profoundly remorseful.”

Herman was served with an arrest warrant Tuesday morning, when he again denied shooting the dog, Kleiber said. Kleiber said after Herman was taken to Routt County Jail, Herman talked to a Steamboat patrol officer on unrelated business and said, “I want to come clean.”

Kleiber interviewed Herman, and Herman told him where to find the gun used in the shooting. Kleiber said a .22-caliber gun was recovered from underneath insulation in the attic of Herman’s shop building.

Herman had repeatedly denied knowing anything about the case.

Duke was owned by the Arnone family of Steamboat Springs. He was shot in the rear end while walking by himself in front of a Dumpster at the shop building at 1327 Indian Trails. Despite surgery, the dog died March 13. The Arnones live in a subdivision adjoining Indian Trails. The Herman family owns the Indian Trails subdivision as well as the shop building near the entrance to the subdivision where the dog was shot.

Early in the investigation, police thought the shot was fired from inside or next to the shop building. Police also knew Herman and his son were the only people at the building that Saturday morning. A Thursday interview with a witness who lives in the Indian Trails neighborhood led police to think Herman fired the shot.

The witness “heard a gunshot and then almost simultaneously, a dog yelping,” the arrest affidavit stated.

The witness reported seeing Del Herman next to his truck several feet from the dog. Herman then walked back into the building while the dog limped away, the witness said.

Kleiber said Herman was arrested on suspicion of cruelty to animals, a felony. He also was arrested on two misdemeanors related to discharging a weapon in public. Those charges are disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment.

Herman was advised in Routt County Court early Tuesday afternoon by Judge James Garrecht. Rusty Prindle, 14th Judicial District chief deputy district attorney, suggested a $2,000 personal recognizance bond, which Garrecht agreed to, and Herman was released. A phone message left for Herman on Tuesday was not immediately returned.

Leah Arnone said she was glad to hear about the confession.

“It doesn’t bring Duke back, but it takes us to the next step,” Arnone said.

Kleiber said the case is now in the hands of the Routt County District Attorney’s Office, but he did offer some advice to people who have issues with dogs.

“Call animal control,” Kleiber said. “Please don’t shoot them.”

Comments

freerider 3 years, 9 months ago

looks pretty bad for ya Del with witnesses

My Guess if he didn't shoot the dog then his kid did it

youseff 3 years, 9 months ago

Obviously innocent until proven guilty, but if these are the facts, then have to say it doesn't look good for him. And how does someone in a town as small as ours think he/she can commit an act like this and assume that no one will find out? Baffles me...and if he is in fact guilty, then he deserves whatever is handed down to him along with the image of that young girl haunting him for a long time.

stagecoacher 3 years, 9 months ago

If he is indeed guilty, then a lawsuit for the emotional trauma the Arnone family endured is in order!

MrTaiChi 3 years, 9 months ago

Labs are the most popular breed owned in America. Anyone who has owned one understands why. You can't beat the disposition of the sporting breeds, retrievers, setters. Any breed can become vicious or a bad neighber, but it seems like that takes more doing with labs. For thier first five years they are oafish clowns. They usually don't make it much past ten because of back and nerve related problems, and as old dogs harbor the illusion that they can still cut it with the tennis ball or frisbee, although one throw is usually enough then. I guess that they have that in common with old men.

I've been thinking about how this dog must have suffered and how it was shocked and confused as to what to do. Caesar Milan, the dog genious, says dogs train each other with bite corrections, so that a dog given a sharp touch or bite senses that he has done something against the rules of the pack. After the shock of the pain, this dog must have been bewildered. He probaly hadn't been hurt by a human before, if he understood that a human hurt him. Like a wounded wolf, his instincts told him to get back to his pack and the den. How cruel it was to this animal, whoever did the deed. The only scrap of gratitude we can have over the event is that he underwent professional veterinary care where, hopefully his pain was eased and perhaps mercifully and lovingly ended.

I don't know how this is going to shake out. If Mr. Herman is guilty and it can't be proven, then there is a special place reserved for him and the expense of his defense is some justice. If he is innocent, I hope he is acquitted.

I have to suspend the cynicism of a lifetime of observation of the criminal justice system to believe the old saw: The wheels of justice grind slow but exceedingly fine.

housepoor 3 years, 9 months ago

is this guy the nut job with all those hand painted signs posted?

bcpow 3 years, 9 months ago

This is the clown that stated he was "innocent as hell" a week ago. We should be getting more priceless statements any day now.

ftpheide 3 years, 9 months ago

What a heartless person. Seventy years old and your still mean. Thank you "witness" for caring about Duke and his family.

bandmama 3 years, 9 months ago

I suppose I would be correct in thinking that they had something on him besides someone saying they saw Del standing over the dog? IF he is guilty then GOOD lets make sure the charges stick. This makes me sick. For one, the poor pup! Second, again same thing what the HECK was anyone doing shooting a weapon in a neighborhood with kids running around? Condolences again to Duke's family.

1999 3 years, 9 months ago

good grief stagecoacher. what a profoundly stupid thing to say.

that attitude has ruined america.

1999 3 years, 9 months ago

but thats probably EXACLTLY what will happen. sadly

Scott Wedel 3 years, 9 months ago

I doubt there will be much regard for the "profoundly remorseful" whom had been proclaiming innocence until confronted with convincing evidence.

If he had done something like anonymously give $5,000 cash to the family or turned himself in then his claim of remorse would be credible. But remorse only after a successful investigation gathers convincing evidence is not going to win many friends.

ftpheide 3 years, 9 months ago

Mama, They have a confession. I wonder how many other dogs he has shot? Good Job Detective Kleiber!

Scott Wedel 3 years, 9 months ago

The really stupid part of this is that taking a dog to the animal shelter is an expensive lesson for the pet owner. And it would have been easy to take a 10 year lab to the shelter. So he could have been a mean cranky old guy that hates dogs making life difficult for an owner of a loose dog without breaking the law.

steamboatsassie 3 years, 9 months ago

Duke was a very, very good dog and this should never have happened. Thank you Arnone family for pushing thru your own saddness and getting the justice that Duke deserves. I live close to the Arnone family and enjoyed knowing Duke. I hope the guilt in his soul keeps.

housepoor 3 years, 9 months ago

“profoundly remorseful.” yeah right sorry he had to turn himself in because he knew he was busted put him jail and let him tell grandkids why he's there

housepoor 3 years, 9 months ago

Wouldn’t obstruction of justice would be an appropriate charge for the son? He lied to the police about it?

Brian Kotowski 3 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully, the DA won't plead it down to a slap on the wrist. Anyone know what the penalty range is for the felony Herman's been charged with?

weststmbtres 3 years, 9 months ago

You mean different "nut job" steamboatsassie ;o)

1999 3 years, 9 months ago

i'm quite concerned about a man shooting off a gun in a neighborhood.

thats the wackiest part of all.

sparkle 3 years, 9 months ago

glad to see that the torture of living with this act drove him to confess. This has been lesson that nobody wanted to have to learn. My heart breaks for everyone.

JJ Southard 3 years, 9 months ago

"Guerilla" predicted it and the Pilot deleted his post. I remember seeing it... it said... "herman did it".... Pilot yanked it. LOL

fartpark 3 years, 9 months ago

It's pretty sad that a 70 year old man would do something so stupid and heartless. Makes you wonder how many other rotten things this crotchety old fart has done in his lifetime. I hope they give him the absolute maximum charge for all of the crimes he has committed.

trump_suit 3 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps the Arnone's would accept a little eye for an eye...... Just a single .22 round to the hindquarters of Mr. Herman so that he will forever more understand the pain and suffering he inflicted on Duke. After all, a .22 can't kill right?

Kevin Chapman 3 years, 9 months ago

shoot him in the ass with a 22. that's how the west is right? an eye for an eye. You have to be a cold sob to shoot an old grey faced lab. Not very sporting.

bandmama 3 years, 9 months ago

Just how many stray dogs are there in Steamboat Springs? Really? And he hid the gun. Yeah, right......

Colette Erickson 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's hope the DA's office takes this SERIOUSLY and doesn't plead it down to some silly slap on the wrist.

dukesmom 3 years, 9 months ago

Thankyou all of you that have kind words to say about Duke and this situation.We are paying attention to you all and appreciate it,we're just not allowed to comment about certain things right now.I can say that Duke wasn't a dog that just hung in the neighborhood,he went to my husbands work at Pearson Communications 5 days a week,from 7am to 6pm.He was a shop dog his whole life.He was usually with us all the time,that day I let him out the back,thinking he was going potty in our yard and comming right back.He wasn't a "regular" at the Herman residence.I'm so sad thinking of the pain he was in,the last 24hrs of his life.It was horrible.

bandmama 3 years, 9 months ago

dukesmom- We are the happy "parents"to an older dog as well. We reside in a neighborhood that has fairly lax rules on pups. Most are ok with it, and love every pup in the neighborhood. Our pup just turned 14, and his hearing ins't all that great. A few weeks ago my son took him out for his nightly run, unfortunately his eyes are in great shape. he saw one of his worst foes, a cat. No leash, (as he never needed one) and he took off. For nearly four hours we walked, called, and drove around. I thought the worst and felt horrible that we hadn't "walked him on the leash". Thank goodness a passing motorist on hwy40 spotted him nearly a mile away from home and called the sheriffs office for help. Our pup came home disoriented, and very wet & cold but happy to be home. What happened to Duke is horrible, and we know how lucky we are that most around here will help a dog, not hurt it, and what happened to your family is NOT, in any way right. There are not many "strays" around here and compasion saved our baby. I hope that justice is served.

Kristopher Hammond 3 years, 9 months ago

Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-9-202 (1)(b): "A person commits aggravated cruelty to animals if he or she knowingly tortures, needlessly mutilates, or needlessly kills an animal". CRS§ 18-9-201 (2) "Animal" means any living dumb creature. Aggravated Cruelty to animals is a Class 6 Felony and carries a sentence from 1 year to 18 months in prison, plus a fine of $1000 to $100,000. Probation is possible. The annotations do not state whether certain SSPT bloggers satisfy the statutory definition of "animal" (we all know who they are). IMHO, mosquitoes, horseflies, mice and rats DO satisfy this definition. So, if you are tempted to kill any living dumb creature, “Call animal control,” Kleiber sez. “Please don’t shoot them.” Don't you just love the law?

lessworkmoreskiing 3 years, 9 months ago

Sad you have to live your life like that Del. You and Duke will meet again someday and I hope he bites you.

Anthony Cyrnak 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd like to express my deepest condolences to the Arnone family regarding the loss of their beloved Duke. I'm a "dog person," and I'm all too familiar with the pain of losing a canine friend. In the same breath I'd also like to express my hope that Del Herman receives the full and maximum punishment allowed under the law. Despite assurances from Detective Kleiber that Herman expressed remorse over his heinous act, it's good to remember that his confession occurred after he'd been arrested. He didn't confess when first asked about the shooting. He did the opposite and denied any involvement in the shooting of Duke. He's sorry alright--sorry he got caught and sorry that he will now have to face the consequences of his cruel, selfish, and uncaring actions. What kind of person must he be to shoot an old and gentle dog who is someone's family pet? Shame on him. I hope that the citizens of SS will remember his cruelty for a long time and that he feels shame every time he walks down a SS street or goes into a SS store or restaurant. Regarding his punishment--If I were the judge handling his case I'd levy a very stiff fine; give him a period of time in jail; make him perform countless hours of community service (preferably at an animal shelter); and, I would encourage folks in SS to boycott his business in order to send a message to this cruel and heartless curmudgeon. A civil suit against him by the Arnone family might also be in order. So sorry to read about this sad story but pleased that justice might be right around the corner.

MrTaiChi 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's not forget restitution to the Arnone family for their vet bills as part of the disposition.

Thank you shawant. Even lawyers sometimes think like the Dicken's character that, "If the law thinks that sir, then the law is a [sic] ass."

Hemi 3 years, 9 months ago

I am so glad he came forward; I hope Herman gets the maximum sentence and has to pay a number of fines, plus the vet bill. No way will that come close to making what happened right. I have a yellow lab myself and I would be devastated if this happened to me, so my thoughts and prayers are with the family and may Duke live on in our memories. I just can’t believe someone would shoot a dog. What is steamboat coming too?

obamanation 3 years, 9 months ago

I had a dog that was poisoned in steamboat 2 several years back and it was a very sad long painful death for my dog. However I had to be the one taking responsibility for the death because if he had been chained up or locked in it would have never happened. What Dell did was stupid and and I agree w/most of your comments but dog owners must know that Not Everyone Likes your dog as much as you.

blue_spruce 3 years, 9 months ago

What Dell did was CRAZY and dangerous - not just stupid! Obviously this guy needs some sort of psychological counseling. What if he missed and the stray bullet hit some kid?! Normal – mentally stable – people don't do stuff like this. At a minimum the guy should not be allow to own guns – in his unstable condition!!

Jodi Dorris 3 years, 9 months ago

What a shame in all aspects. My heart goes out to both families. Hemi, I agree, what is Steamboat coming to?

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 9 months ago

I would like to add this: Research has shown that many serial killers started out by torturing and killing animals. I'm not saying that Herman was, is or ever will be a serial killer. But this act that he has committed isn't just about disliking dogs; it demonstrates a blatant disrespect for life in general and, possibly ... problems with impulse control. No one with this guy's thought process should EVER be allowed to own a weapon EVER AGAIN. He is not remorseful. He knew exactly what he was doing when he did it. HE HID THE GUN. This is the behavior of someone who never intended to take responsibility for his actions. He confessed because he was caught. Simple as that. And his son was complicit in his lies. Wonder how he's feeling about this whole thing ... and about his father.

And by the way, OBAMANATION, you're a little late to the party. Go back and read all the comments since this outrageous event occurred, then remove your own post 'cause I suspect you're about to be blasted for it, just as others before you. Jerk.

SMRFF 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sick of the "not everyone likes your dog as much as you" nonsense. If you have issues with someone else's harmless dog hanging around your property, call animal control. Don't punish the dog for being, well, a dog. I constantly see stray rednecks like Del walking around. Can I shoot them in the rear with my .22 to keep them away?

wholeworldiswatching 3 years, 9 months ago

We want the Pilot community, our grand dogs in Steamboat, and the Arnone family to know we share your collective grief here in Vermont. In Burlington, LC4D (Livable City for Dogs) will redouble our effort to remove from city ordinance a law that allows a dog to be shot that is off leash. That insidious evil lurks in the municipal ordinances of Burlington VT, where it would prevent the clear and decisive charge of animal cruelty which Steamboat law enforcement has filed. There are still insensitive people who say it'sjustadog, but Steamboat has drawn a clear line in the red dirt -- animal cruelty, felony, punishment will be swift. Hats off to you, thank you, our deepest sympathy to the Arnone family, and a big hug for Duke across the Rainbow Bridge.

arnonep 3 years, 9 months ago

A friend sent this to me.

Aggravated Cruelty is: "knowingly tortures, needlessly mutilates, or needlessly kills an animal." A conviction of Aggravated Animal Cruelty is a Class 6 Felony with a maximum fine of up to $100,000 and imprisonment for up to 18 months, minimum of 90 days in prison or in-home detention. Subsequent conviction of Aggravated Animal Cruelty is a Class 5 Felony with a maximum fine of $100,000 and imprisonment for up to 3 years. Exemptions are made for farming, draft or pack animals, rodeos, veterinary care, research, hunting and trapping.

lessworkmoreskiing 3 years, 9 months ago

It doesn't matter how much you dislike dogs or a particular dog, shooting it is never the answer. Duke was really nice, not even sure how he could make you so mad you had to shoot him. And I am guessing this isn't the first time you have been cruel to animals.

Del is only sorry about being caught. His behavior reflects this, there is no remorse from him, no matter what BS he spews out to the paper or the cops. Cry me a river you sorry bastard.

Give him the MAX Steamboat - there is NO room for people like this in our community. You are unwelcome in our dog loving city Del, you can just get out.

bhad 3 years, 9 months ago

There are leash laws in this town. If you don't want your dog hit by a car or shot then keep them on a leash. Just because you think he is "just going out to potty" and come right back doesn't make it okay. Why is the dog owner above the law be he is not?

SMRFF 3 years, 9 months ago

Bhad, are you kidding me? You're equating a dog owner letting her 10 year old labrador off leash to an old grinch needlessly killing said labrador? That's like comparing a parking violation to manslaughter. Regardless of whether or not this dog should have been off-leash, shooting and killing a defenseless, harmless, beloved family pet is not even remotely justifiable.

One can only assume that you are either Del's son or one of his redneck cronies. As I mentioned above, if it is ok for a man to shoot a stray dog because it was wandering around his property and was a "nuisance" to this man, how come I don't have the right to shoot a redneck low-life like you or one of your kinds' children in the rear with my .22 anytime I catch you wandering near my property?

The lack of common sense and regard for life in your post is troubling but not surprising given some of the outdated, redneck, "shoot it if it's bothering you" attitudes that still exist.

I'm sorry but dogs are not "just animals". Dogs are cherished family members that often times bring more joy and happiness to their owners than any human or worldly possession can. To minimize such a relationship in the way that you and a select few like you have done is sickening.

exduffer 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry to say folks but bhad is right here. Sad as this event was we all have to remember that Del did not go out looking for this dog and treat him as such. He is not a madman stalking our dogs, it is more like he is a mad man who at 70 is sick and tired of dogs roaming the city.

SMRFF 3 years, 9 months ago

If you loathe dogs that much, and you live in a town where a very large portion of the town's population are dog lovers and dog owners, then a better way to handle your frustration is to either move somewhere that is less accommodating to dogs or work with your neighbors and the city to come up with a solution to appease both parties. Shooting and killing such a minute source of agitation seems to go a little overboard if you ask me.

I am sick and tired of a lot of things but think I can come up with a more civil, less antiquated way to address my frustrations. Just sayin...

bhad 3 years, 9 months ago

SMRFF, The only reason I posted that was to get a rise out of you, and laugh at your post. Thanks. I am a dog owner and lover, and that's exactly why I don't let him roam the neighborhood off leash. Some jackass might shoot him for crapping in his yard. Why is it his job to take your pet to the shelter because you didn't do your job as a pet owner? Sorry the dog got killed but you should be mad at the dog owner for putting her beloved dog it that situation. This just goes to show why we have leash laws in this town.

bhad 3 years, 9 months ago

SMRF, "work with your neighbors and the city to come up with a solution to appease both parties" We did it's called a Leash Law. What don't you understand about that? What more can the city do to try and keep you from letting your dog roam the neighborhood? Oh yea let keep the name calling out of this, no reason to take it personally. Smurf

SMRFF 3 years, 9 months ago

You wanted to get a rise out of me? Personally? I'm flattered!

To your point - I wouldn't expect Del to physically pickup the dog and drive him to the shelter, but it would have taken him maybe a minute to pickup the phone to call animal control and file a complaint.

If a dog owner consistently allows his/her dog off leash and that dog has become a nuisance to neighbors, I am all for punishing the owner. It can be a monetary fine, community service, whatever works. But, to inflict pain and death on a dog that poses absolutely no threat is ludicrous. The only time a dog should be dealt with in a violent manner is if that dog presents a legitimate threat of bodily harm to a person.

I would think that even those who aren't dog lovers like us would agree with that. It's simple common sense. Unfortunately, some people are fresh out of common sense.

jk 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm curious as to where all of these dog lovers were hiding when they shut down Rita Valentine Park to our fury llittle friends?

bhad 3 years, 9 months ago

No not you personally, but you people that want to hang this guy for shooting a stray dog on his property. Let it go.

jk 3 years, 9 months ago

I was also a little curious as to how a person with the thought process of Phoebe is ever able to leave their house??

SMRFF 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, work with your neighbors and the city to come up with a solution to appease all parties. If there is a law that you feel is not being enforced, you take it up with those in charge of enforcing the law. I don't run my truck into a road biker's $5,000 MOOTS because I'm angry he isn't following the rules of the road to a tee.

This is the 21st century. Vigilante justice, especially when inflicted upon a stray 10 year old dog, is a concept reserved for the lowest of the low in our society.

Candice Martin 3 years, 9 months ago

JK way to stray off subject & somehow try & compare these two situations to one another! That comment just sounded insensitive & selfish to me. & the reason they closed it, I believe was to help a local elk herd. So…..people should be kind to animals even if they are not the domesticated kind :P

jk 3 years, 9 months ago

Martin this subject should have been strayed from long ago, it's just an angy witch hunt now! As far as the park goes if the DOW would learn how to manage the heard better, we wouldn't have them in town.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's not forget the fact that Herman fired a rifle in a residential neighborhood, next to a playground.

wendy harvey 3 years, 9 months ago

To the people here who suggest it's fair game to shoot a dog because of the leash law and the fact that the owner let the dog out...well...that's just dumb. How to explain...hmmm...okay, let's say you go 50mph in a 30mph zone. If you get caught, the recourse for the police officer is to give you a ticket. You broke the speeding law...you get a speeding ticket. Now let's say I see you speeding and I am fed up with it because I have a kid and people speeding through my neighborhood drive me crazy...or "frustrate" me much like stray dogs frustrate 'ol Del. So, in a fit of rage, I shoot you. I would go to jail because killing you is against the law. Doesn't matter that you were speeding...doesn't make you fair game...I still can't shoot you. What? You say "but it was just a dog, you can't compare the two..." News flash...still against the law. Can't shoot you for speeding, can't shoot your neighbors dog for wandering on your property. Call animal control...they'll get a ticket. Get it?

SMRFF 3 years, 9 months ago

Wendy, you are interjecting facts, common sense and real life situational examples into the conversation. You know there's no room for that in a newspaper comment section!!!

Just kidding. Your example is dead on. Seems pretty black and white to me!

mtroach 3 years, 9 months ago

An easy way to keep unwanted pets from your yard is a fence.

jk 3 years, 9 months ago

An easy way to keep your pets from being unwanted guests in someone elses yard is also a fence.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 9 months ago

The serial killer link is a bit of a stretch. Yes, serial killers often start off by killing small animals, but that killing is when the prospective serial killer is young. Some 70 year old killing a dog is not going to become a serial killer.

The discussion on punishment is skewed because of the other recent comparable incidents of shooting a bear downtown and the mistreated horse that had to be taken from the owner and needed specialized treatment to recover, but only after it was agreed the owner's identity would be kept secret. It would appear the recent standard for discharging a weapon in city limits and animal cruelty is that a belated apology is all that is needed by a defendant.

ftpheide 3 years, 9 months ago

He confessed. Cruelty to animals is a felony. Felons can not own or possess firearms. Hopefully the DA won't accept a "plea" reducing the felony charge to a misdemeanor. Mr. Herman is dangerous with firearms!

Colette Erickson 3 years, 9 months ago

Excellent point, ftpheide. Hopefully there will not be any more guys in Herman's future.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 9 months ago

GUNS - no more guns! I guess guys would be OK..... :-)

blue_spruce 3 years, 9 months ago

please take this psycho's guns away before he hurts an other dog or god forbid a child or neighbor!! mentally ill people are NOT allowed to own firearms!!

Steve Lewis 3 years, 9 months ago

I may overestimate Del's former bond with this community. But in my opinion, Del has payed a serious price for his actions before he even sees a judge. The Pilot's Wed. cover story showed his picture beside headlines of his arrest and his crime. For better or worse, his family is paying a similar price of shame.

Everyone lost in this affair. Isn't that enough damage done here? Move on.

mtroach 3 years, 9 months ago

All of the poster on this forumsu ggesting that the accused be shot or perhaps raped in jail should really rethink posting to this forum at all. With all the bitternes and anger by the time you are 70 you'll be the ones shooting a harmless pet.

Pilot please rid this forum of these posters and their calls for vigilante justice. Bellyup,steamboatnucs,martinratdog your comments are well over the line.

TWill 3 years, 9 months ago

lewi- you're wrong! Herman has not lost nearly what the Arnones have in this situation.

Want to know how they could have avoided the embarrasment of a mug shot on the cover of the newspaper?... By not firing a gun (at a harmless, family pet) in a densely populated residential neighborhood next to the playground.

All of you that agree need to contact the DA's office to express your concern and see to it that these people are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Candice Martin 3 years, 9 months ago

:P Whatever. I'm sure if someone shot you in the butt you would sing a different tune. I am grateful I live in a country where I can voice my opinion whether you like it or not!

mtroach 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks rat. Just reading your post makes me think you relate to more to the shooter than you may think. It isn't so hard to think this type of thing (extreme vigilante justice) wouldn't happen again with your attitude. Way to be an american!

exduffer 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Jerry! I now have a great way of avoiding my duty of serving on a jury.

1999 3 years, 9 months ago

wow!

seems alot of these posters suffer from the same issues that the alledged shooter does. some of you people are actually sick.

the guy shot a dog that was not on a leash and on his property. Probably NOT for the first time.

while I don't agree with his method...the charge will probably be simply "discharging a fire arm in city limits"

again...good luck getting an impartial jury.

NICE JOB PEOPLE!