2011 Sailors baseball schedule
- March 5: Game 1: Denver East 6, Steamboat 0; Game 2: Denver East 13, Steamboat 3
- March 18 and 19: Steamboat 3, Battle Mountain 1
- March 26: Steamboat 5, Glenwood Springs 3 and Steamboat 12, Glenwood Springs 7, (doubleheader)
- April 2: Game 1: Delta 5, Steamboat 1; Game 2: Delta 11, Steamboat 6
- April 16: Game 1: Steamboat Springs 14, Eagle Valley 5; Game 2: Steamboat Springs 6, Eagle Valley 6
- May 3: Game 1: Moffat County 13, Steamboat 0; Game 2: Moffat County 18, Steamboat 6
- May 7: Game 1: Palisade 11, Steamboat 0; Game 2: Palisade 6, Steamboat 5
- May 10: TBA vs. Battle Mountain in Moffat County (doubleheader)
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School baseball team picked up its first win of the year Friday, getting sterling defense and a complete game effort from Tyler Brown in beating Battle Mountain on the road, 3-1.
Brown went the distance in a shortened five-inning game, striking out five and walking one.
Brown needed just 69 pitches to get through the five innings.
“Tyler Brown — he was a horse out there,” Steamboat manager Kellen Baker said. “You can tell he likes getting the ball and likes getting out there. He kept us in the game and threw a lot of strikes. It was a nice performance by him.”
It also helped that Steamboat’s defense didn’t commit an error on the day. In a back-and-forth game, the Sailors trailed the Huskies, 1-0, in the second before a Brandon Clark double sent Carson Becker home to tie the game.
Then in the fifth inning, Becker had an RBI single and Brown added a sacrifice fly to give Steamboat a 3-1 lead.
“No errors, which is probably the most important thing for us,” Baker said. “We played great defense.”
Steamboat continues play today at 11 a.m. against Rangely and at 1 p.m. against Paonia. Both games are in Grand Junction.