Steamboat woman accused of stealing $25,000 from ex-boyfriend

Kati More admitted last year to taking Loggers Lane Owners Association money

photo

Katina Marie More

— A Steamboat Springs woman who made headlines in 2010 for stealing money from the Loggers Lane Owners Association was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of stealing $25,000 in cash from a former boyfriend.

Police arrested Katina “Kati” Marie More, 38, at her home on Cypress Court on Wednesday morning on suspicion of felony theft.

Steamboat Springs Police Department Detective Jerry Stabile said he was contacted Friday by a man in his mid-20s. The man, who Stabile said did not want to be identified, said he and More had been in a relationship and had gotten into a verbal argument earlier in the week.

The victim said on Friday that he went to a lockbox in his house containing his personal savings and the cash was gone. Stabile said the man immediately suspected that More had taken the money.

“She was going to move out of the place, and she took a little more than just her clothes,” Stabile said.

Stabile said the man had received text messages from More that Stabile considered an admission of guilt.

More also had a key to the mountain-area residence, and there were no signs of forced entry, Stabile said. He said More used a hidden key to access the safe, and none of the missing cash had been recovered.

Stabile said More declined an interview and wanted to discuss the situation with her lawyer, Larry Combs. Phone messages left with Combs and More on Wednesday afternoon were not returned.

More was advised Wednesday by 14th Judicial District Judge Shelley Hill and was released soon after on a $20,000 personal recognizance bond. She is due back in court at 2 p.m. March 16.

More is on probation for stealing and then returning more than $60,000 when she was treasurer of the Loggers Lane Owners Association. More owns Artistic Edge in the Loggers Lane development along U.S. Highway 40 on the west side of Steamboat.

As part of a plea deal with the Routt County District Attorney’s Office in November, More avoided jail time and had to serve 240 hours of community service and pay nearly $1,700 in costs and fines. More pleaded guilty to a felony computer crime and a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge.

The computer crime charge had a two-year deferred sentence, meaning it can be dismissed after two years if More follows all the stipulations of the deal.

The District Attorney’s Office dismissed a charge of theft of $20,000 or more and another computer crime charge as part of the plea deal.

If More is charged and convicted in this theft case, it will likely jeopardize the deferred judgment she received as part of the plea deal.

— To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or e-mail mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

freerider 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder when the D.A. is going to figure this one out ...???

guerilla 3 years, 1 month ago

I dont think she will get convicted this time because she "lawyered up". Admission of guilt through a text? THEIVES SUCK!

OYvey 3 years, 1 month ago

Is this really happening? Guess I'm just in disbelief. I'm praying that this is merely a strike out from the broken hearted ex-boyfriend. I'm curious to see how this will pan out...and I'm sure that the Pilot will keep us posted. Hoping for the best in a worst case scenario here...

greenwash 3 years, 1 month ago

shes kinda hot.....in a pathetic sort of way.

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 1 month ago

wow...i knew this would happen again, with all the little slaps of the wrist this woman has received...why not keep stealing. OYvey~ you obviously don't know her

OYvey 3 years, 1 month ago

@oldskool I don't know her....so this isn't a surprise then? I take it you know her personally? I'm just sad to see something like this happen. But looking at the last story it seems like she got off pretty easily. I'm sure she was relieved...no jail time for $70k+.

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 1 month ago

no, no surprise...yes, i know her....i was sad about her past choices...now, not so much....more disgusted really.

OYvey 3 years, 1 month ago

So sad! I have heard she was a great lady and a good business woman. But just makes me sad to know that hard times have fallen upon her (or some other reason for her to do these things) and she's made some poor choices. Hope she can pay her dues to society and start making better choices!

Kevin Nerney 3 years, 1 month ago

Man, wish I could figure out how to keep 25 grand in cash lying around the house. I took in a lot of cash back in the day when I had the restaurant yet never had 25k in the safe.

steamboatsmile 3 years, 1 month ago

OYvey, where in the world did you hear she was a 'great' lady? I've known her for years and she has lied and stole throughout her time here in Steamboat. She stole $60K from her next door neighbors where she has her own retail shop, and now is accused of stealing $25K from her ex. I hope the justice system won't turn a blind eye again. oldskoolstmbt- i was waiting to read this... i knew she would do it again, it was only a matter of time.. and that was quick.

mavis 3 years, 1 month ago

oh yippeeee... and then she will have kids and we get to wonder why things are NOT going so well for those little munchkins....

and really... it's okay to make bad choices when "hard times" fall on you???? Kind of thinking no matter the "times" hard or "not" in anyone's perception you still need to try and make good choices.... stealing multiple times is a HABIT not a "HARD TIME" and both times are a substantial amount of money... it's not a ooops on a piece of gum. Mistakes are made by all... but these amounts are NOT accidental calculating errors.

OYvey 3 years, 1 month ago

Sorry...guess I worded that wrong...I'm in no way implying that it's okay if you fall on hard times, just wondering what cause someone to do this repeatedly, and by looking at the previous posts, looks like maybe these are the only 2 times that she's been caught? I certainly hope that she receives an appropriate punishment this time around. I wasn't around for her last offense, but after reading the story posted here on the Pilot it seems like she didn't even get a slap on the wrist...that would probably have hurt a little more! I'm curious to see what the DA does with this case.

mtroach 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder how the hoa pres from Loggers Lane feels about his decision to not persue charges in the first offence. Turn the cheek, and that one gets slapped as well in the case of Kati More.

OYvey 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure he's thinking to himself...man what was I thinking!?!?! Surely she'll have to move her business to somewhere else besides Steamboat?! How many people would trust her in their home or business?

chickadee 3 years, 1 month ago

Kevin, your post raises some interesting questions. Why do people keep large amounts of cash in a safe? Sure, rates on CDs have been low these past few years, but a lot of 4 star mutual funds are doing great right now. Perhaps it is difficult for some people to explain why they get a 1099 for interest income on principal that was never claimed as income for tax purposes? If you were to gather all of the folks who keep 25K cash readily available in a safe at home, what might be some common traits of that population subset?

It is likely that the cash has been received in exchange for goods or services provided "off the books" and that the cash is income that has never been reported for any tax purposes. 25K in a safe at home is sometimes just the tip of the iceberg for folks who engage in large amounts of cash transactions.

I am not implying that the cash was received in exchange for illegal drugs or other illegal activity. Large amounts of cash flow through restaurants, as Kevin stated. Large amounts of cash also flow through service business, whether that might be professional services, for example, elective surgery, massages, dentistry, construction projects, personal training, dog breeding, washing cars and plowing snow.

I am not making an assumption of guilt toward anyone. Simply pointing out as has Aichempty and others that there is more white collar crime in Steamboat Springs than most gentle folk care to admit.

As to Kati: I am not defending her alleged actions but do consider that notwithstanding anything deal she may have accepted from the prosecution in the past, she is presumed innocent at this point. Evidence as to her "past bad acts" is not likely to be admissible at any trial for the purpose of proving that she committed any crime against the "boyfriend".

I am the first to admit that I am rude and sarcastic on these blogs. I usually feel pretty bad after I write something nasty such as making fun of fat people. I am giving that up during Lent. Everyone has a right to post their views here. My view is that it hurts to see stones thrown at this woman when she is obviously very troubled, desperate and in need of help. What if mean comments on this forum cause her to become depressed and commit suicide? I would not be surprised that we might eventually hear of something like that happening in Steamboat Springs. People can be so mean. I know—I admit I have been one of them.

Maybe she was entitled to the money boyfriend claims is his...for, well....his part of their deal?

OYvey 3 years, 1 month ago

Speaking for myself, I certainly hope she is able to get the help that she needs. And as I posted earlier I do hope for the best in this story. I'm sure it's not easy for her to see this unfortunate circumstance play out in the media, but that's one of the deals with a small town. If the previous posts regarding her character are true, then it's not really looking good for her. I imagine that her previous offense(s)would have some sort of a play in perhaps the sentencing...should she be deemed guilty of this allegation. But again, hoping for the best for this troubled young woman.

hereandthere 3 years, 1 month ago

I hope a thief gets what she deserves, jail time. And for these amounts of money, serious jail time. Don't even care to hear about her problems.

chickadee 3 years, 1 month ago

which thief?

It will be interesting how the complaining witness proves the money is his not hers.

Then again, maybe not. Its probably all on the books and there was probably never any other cash in that safe other than this 25K and there are probably no coffee cans with cash in them either because this is Steamboat--not an episode of the Sopranos.

jerry carlton 3 years, 1 month ago

Did he make the $25,000 driving at Alpine Taxi? Good tips! Or is he a really great Waiter? Hope he reported it on his income tax.

steamboatsmile 3 years, 1 month ago

kati is a thief and it's been proven, regardless of how this case 'pans' out, she needs to get help for herself. the worst thing that could happen is she gets another slap on the hand.

Dennis Bunning 3 years, 1 month ago

I have read with interest the comments about Katie mostly negative. Our business dealings with her have been positive. Whilst I do not agree with her taking the $60,000 from the Loggers lane assc. she did pay it back in full and I do not believe that she intended to keep the money long term and she has paid a high price for her mistake. We all know that marriage and relationships often end up with bittiness on both sides and each partner wants to get there own back on the other. Who is to say that some of the alleged $25,000 taken did not belong to Katie. In any case what was her boyfriend who I believe runs a Car cleaning business doing with this amount of money in the house. I wonder if the reason that he wants to stay anonymous is because this is undeclared money and no tax has been paid on it. I think that the publicity that Katie has over this latest alleged crime that has not been proven is unfair and inevitable will affect her struggling business.

seeuski 3 years, 1 month ago

Which is it Bunning, did Katie dodge the taxman or, if the money is the ex boyfriend's are you accusing only him of stealing from the taxman? All forgiven if it was Katie's dough? I guess it was a secret loan that the Loggers Lane Association suffered, how much interest did Katie charge herself and under what terms would she have paid it back if no one had noticed the money missing? It is awesome how people these days feel that the Government owns every business owners personal cash, an army of Micheal Moore bobbleheads.

OYvey 3 years, 1 month ago

Is there any possibility that she's innocent? And I am curious to see where this guy got the money!? Who has 25k laying around? Sure would be nice....((sigh)) :)