Best of the Boat results released

At Home in Steamboat Springs hits newsstands today

— After tallying 204,744 votes cast by 3,172 readers, the Steamboat Pilot & Today and At Home in Steamboat Springs magazine have released the results from the 2011 Best of the Boat community survey. The results can be found in the spring issue of At Home, which hits newsstands today. The results also are available at www.BestoftheBoat.com.

The Best of the Boat survey — the first one conducted since 2002 — consisted of 131 questions ranging from the best expert ski trail on Mount Werner (North St. Pat’s) to the best french fries (Double Z Bar & BBQ). The survey covered five categories: dining, community, shopping, services and outdoors.

The survey was conducted online from Dec. 15 to Jan. 15. The survey could be completed only once on any given computer, which reduced any attempts at ballot stuffing.

“I’m very proud of how we did this,” Pilot & Today General Manager Scott Stanford said. “To get more than 3,100 voters giv­­­­es us a very strong representation of the community, and the results show that.

“I think the business and individuals who made the top three should be honored for the quality of their brands, products and customer service.”

The res­­­ults are compiled and included with write-ups and photos of many of the category winners in the new issue of At Home in Steamboat Springs magazine. The magazine is available for free on newsstands across Steamboat beginning today. Copies also can be picked up at the Pilot & Today office in west Steamboat.

Comments

rubyv23 3 years, 6 months ago

3 Sushi is ridiculous. I tried them and had awful crunchy rice with fish I should have questioned eating. Never would I recommend them to a friend or enemy for that matter. I should have known better when they wouldn't answer the cell phone they have as a store line!

Jeff_Kibler 3 years, 6 months ago

Is it possible to see the complete results? Some categories I would like to see more than just the top three, perhaps the top five or ten.

And here's another (dubious) list on which Steamboat is mentioned:

greenwash 3 years, 6 months ago

Pretty Lame when Wal Mart wins Best Of anything . I wouldnt put much into this survey.

exduffer 3 years, 6 months ago

Jeff you need to read your link again. Your interpretation is wrong, it shows we are a top 25 destination for doctors and lawyers, not in the top 25 most dangerous.

callguinness 3 years, 6 months ago

exduffer- I think you need to read the link again. Clearly we are ranked as number 21 on that list of being a dangerous places to visit.

exduffer 3 years, 6 months ago

"An analysis of crime and accident stats COUPLED WITH doctor and lawyer rankings of 25 popular spring break destinations ..."

I stand by my statement. If they had gone out to the top 100 or 200 or 300 I doubt very much that we would have still been # 21 in dangerous places. This did not rank all resorts, only those on the doctors and lawyer top 25 popularity list.

Faithann 3 years, 6 months ago

To RubyV23:

So I just thought that I would comment on your comment. So have you been to Spostas? How long have you lived in Steamboat? Do you know that there is no ocean here. So just about all the Seafood that is delivered here is frozen. Just in case you didn't know that.

On top of that; if you thought it was 'questionable'...then why did you eat it or buy it. Also; why not bring it back right after you had the first bite and ask for a refund? Instead you ate it; then complained about it. Then on top of it; didn't even try to find out why it was like that.

I don't understand people who complain yet don't try to get it fixed to their on liking. I don't like a resturante here in town; but tried it 3 times. Reason why...because maybe there were having a off day. But atleast I gave it more then one shot.

Hope that you come to were I work and say the same thing. You will get laughed at just like a lot of people are laughing at you now.

Spostas is a great place. Where else can you do take out for Sushi that is also reasonable price and taste good. Plus on top of that; it has great customer service. I think everyone should try it atleast twice or more. I recommend the 'Economic Crunch' as well as the Seaweed Salad!!!!!!

toris 3 years, 5 months ago

Sposta's is awesome. Screw you Ruby.

Thank you faith! I hate people who knock on my favorite places to grab food! I didn't eat your roll so I don't know if your compaints are valid or not, but every roll I've ever had there has been great, and the miso soup was a godsend when I was sick. Props on the economic crunch, its my favorite roll too.

In regards to your post, faith, I have to put my two cents in. Yes, people have off days. Servers, owners, customers, and guests. But the quality and consistency of a restaurant will make it or break it. Sposta's quality standards are so high, I saw him completely reclean his cutting board just because a tin was mistakenly placed on it. They've delivered food to me and my coworkers for lunch and everythings been perfect.

I have a feeling, ruby, that you're a competitor putting bad reviews out to discourage others from trying it. Well if you're reading this, go in, tell the owner christian that you read this post, and ask him if his rice is crunchy or any fish he wouldn't eat himself.

My name is Clint Clemenson, I have been in town since November, and will be here for many years to come. During that time I'll be eating quite often at Sposta's. Hope to see you there. I'll be the one on the couch watching Forest Gump and eating a tuna roll.

sickofitstmbt 3 years, 5 months ago

To Rubyv23: My name is Christian Talli and I am the owner and operator of Spostas Sushi in downtown Steamboat. I would like to apologize for the bad experience that you had here at Spostas and address some of the allegations you have put forth about my place. I was just informed by a regular patron of mine that this comment was made by you. I also am aware of the similar comment that you put on the explore steamboat website. You really must not like Spostas, I can tell because of your incredibly mean and almost slanderous comments about the fish itself. I want to extend an invitation to you to please come on down and let me show you my operation from the inside so you can feel comfortable about my handling procedure for all of my fish. My fish is sent to me in a frozen state as I do not believe in "fresh fish", meaning never frozen, here in Steamboat Springs, Colorado due to the fact that the ocean is a long way away and a tuna boat is out to sea for weeks at a time. My tuna right now is caught is Indonesia and processed then is flash frozen right there on the boat. I thaw out everyday in order to bring the best quality fish available to us here in Colorado. My salmon is a wild caught Alaskan King Salmon which is also flash frozen the day its caught. All of my fish go through 24 hours of thaw and then it has a 2 day shelf life before it becomes my lunch. My fish is the safest fish you can get at 6000 ft. if you like it or not. As far as the rice goes, you really must have got me on a bad day and I would very much like the opportunity to redeem myself with you as it sounds to me that you may be a sushi enthusiast same as me. You also made a mean comment about me using a cell phone for my shop, yes I do and the reason for that is that I make 9 out of 10 deliveries myself and when I am not here I am able to take orders with the cell phone while I am on delivery. I hope that you can appreciate my tenacity and drive to put out the best product I can, doing this by myself all day, everyday.

If this is a real complaint and you truly feel this way about Spostas, please give me another chance to show you that my rice is not raw and my fish is nowhere near "questionable". I have done very little advertising and zero since October and if your accusations where at all true to be consistent, then I would for sure be out of business by now, and that is simply not the case.

Thank you very much to the two people that have defended Spostas and I hope to see you all again very soon.

Christian Talli Spostas World Sushi Owner 970-846-2461 or please call me on the Spostas cell phone at 970-819-5697.