Speeding car on US 40 ends up at hospital

— A 28-year-old man from Iowa was found in the emergency room at Yampa Valley Medical Center on Saturday after he sped into Steamboat Springs at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.

The man, who was registered as a missing person in his home state of Iowa, was first seen driving about 40 miles per hour over the speed limit at mile marker 143 of U.S. Highway 40 by a Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputy at 9:21 a.m.

The deputy tried to pull the man over but saw no brake lights or indication that he was going to stop. The deputy lost the car because of its speed, and another deputy saw it at about mile marker 137.

No injuries or damage resulted from the incident.

The second deputy lost the car, a black Pontiac sedan, at Walton Creek Road and U.S. 40, when it was still going about 30 miles per hour over the speed limit.

“He was going at a pretty good clip going into town,” Mackey said.

Colorado State Patrol and the Steamboat Springs Police Department also were called to the incident, and police eventually found the car at Yampa Valley Medical Center.

Mackey said he didn’t think anything was physically wrong with the man, but officials said they think mental illness could be involved.

Law enforcement released the man on summonses for four charges: reckless endangerment, reckless driving, attempting to elude a police officer and speeding.

Mackey said that those charges can be arrestable offenses but that officers decided to release him with summonses after he was evaluated.

Law enforcement is investigating the incident.

Comments

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

Man, I was thinking just the other day how nice it would be to take off down Rabbit Ears Pass at close to 100mph towards the ER, get evaluated to have a mental illness, and then get released by the police. Maybe I should go try it, now that I know it's possible and all. I LOVE this town.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 9 months ago

Uh ... yeah. That's how I read it, but I thought I was missing something. Guess not. mmj22, wanna go for a little ride?

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

The only way my little 2.8L will ever see a speed anywhere near 100mph is if it goes sky-diving. We'll have to take your car.

rexrox77 2 years, 9 months ago

I might have bumped him off a tall Rabbit Ears cliff and done the world a favor! I drive 2 to 4 thousand miles a month for work, I see total moron potentially killer drivers all the time, OFTEN IN THE SNOW ON THE PASSES. Sometimes I call the cops on them, AND what do our boys in blue do, virtually nothing! They tell me to make a video, and I do sometimes, hopefully to get them off the road!, BUT WHY SHOULD IT BE MY JOB?

DIDN'T THIS PSYCHO IDIOT AT LEAST HAVE HIS LICENSE YANKED AND CAR TOWED AND IMPOUNDED?, OR IS HE OFF TO ANOTHER STATE TO CHASE PINK ELEPHANTS DOWN THE ROAD AND MAYBE KILL SOMEBODY?

WHAT THE PUCK DO WE PAY TAXES FOR???, SO WIMPY COPS CAN KNUCKLE UNDER TO OUT OF STATE PSYCHOS? OH, I GET IT, HE'S A RICH KID WITH GREAT LAWYERS, SO ITS ALL GOOD, DADDY WARBUCKS WILL LINE EVERYBODY'S POCKETS!

MAYBE SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE I WILL BE THE AMERICAN MAD MAX, IF NO REAL LAW WITH A BACKBONE EXISTS.

rexrox77 2 years, 9 months ago

mental illness could be involved?, YA THINK?, YA THINK?!!!....

mental illness could be involved?, YA THINK?, YA THINK?!!!....

mental illness could be involved?, YA THINK?, YA THINK?!!!....

IF HE IS LOOSE AMONG US NOW, LET'S GET THE HORSES AND THE TORCHES...

hereandthere 2 years, 9 months ago

Mental illness? That's nothing to worry about. Speeding at 100 mph? Who cares. Now if he would of had some pot in the car he would have really been a danger to the community and our local PD would of had a real crime to get involved with.

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

OH GOD! Can anyone even imagine how different the story would have been if a single gram of cannabis had been discovered in that guy's car?

I can see it now...

"CRAZED PSYCHO CANNABIS KILLER ON THE LOOSE!!! STAY OFF THE ROADS UNTIL THIS DANGEROUS CRIMINAL HAS BEEN DETAINED OR SHOT!"

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

And... "Cpl. Mark Mackey said it is Sheriff’s Office policy to not engage in high-speed pursuits unless there is an extreme danger to others in the situation."

I just don't understand this. Nearly 100mph....heading towards a decently-populated Steamboat Springs...on a beautifully sunny Saturday morning(when just about everyone and their dog/bike/kids/loved ones are gearing up to go outside and enjoy the beauty that surrounds us).

Exactly what would have had to transpire to have elevated this to an "extreme danger to others in the situation?" Does he actually have to run someone over? Or maybe if he was waving a gun out the window? Do they wait for swerving? What if he didn't stop at the ER? What if his vehicle came to rest atop a group of kids at the Farmer's Market?

From the sound of it, they lost him before they could even reasonably find out whether or not any of that was the case.

I guess my main question is, why wouldn't they have engaged this nut BEFORE he could have even had the possibility to turn it into a more extremely dangerous situation than it was already? Eventually, this nut had to have slowed down to take a corner or two(lest he would have left the road) and, if an officer had been in hot-pursuit, a carefully executed P.I.T. maneuver could have very easily stopped the forward progress of his vehicle way before this guy made it to the ER. Are road blocks and spike strips out of the question in cases like this too? I would think that sacrificing a police cruiser to the worst-case scenario in a road-block situation(the guy t-bones one of 'em, or better yet ends up off the road) would be exponentially more acceptable than losing a human life(at the minimum) after he somersaults his car through down-town.

tcb 2 years, 9 months ago

Real crime? You mean like Elevation Wellness owner Skyler Hartman being in today's Jail Report after being arrested for DUID? And after he had said in this very paper, "They're not representing the industry properly".

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

tcb-

And you felt it more appropriate to make that comment here, rather than on the jail report page? Way to take care of business.

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

When exactly would a jail report be favorable see? It seems to me that having no jail report(meaning no arrests/crime) would be the truly favorable situation.

Or were you hoping for me to say something else?

And since we're sparring a little here, how's Palin's bus tour going?

seeuski 2 years, 9 months ago

You think we're sparring m+mj? How is Obama's "fast and furious" gun running game working out for ya? Sarah is back on this week, so don't worry, the media will be bus chasing again. LOL, twice. And you know what I mean as far as the jail report, you pot guys are always pouncing when the number of drunks outpaces the potheads. And don't be so thin skinned, it was meant as a friendly jab, just like the use of the terms drunks and potheads.

tcb 2 years, 9 months ago

hey, mmj....you and hereandthere made a story that has NOTHING to do with marijuana into a story about marijuana here. Just wanted to point that out to ya. Did I mention that Skyler Hartman got arrested for DUID?

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

tcb-

First of all, I merely commented on "here's" re-lighting of the conversation in more of a green light. We had nothing to do with the story or "making" the story about cannabis. And you act all offended that I (mmjPatient22) would comment on such a thing. Really? Would you expect something else from the likes of ME?

Secondly, you're absolutely right! This story never had a gosh-darn-tootin' thing to do with cannabis in the first place. This story does, however, have everything to do with a qualified crazy person hurdling down Hwy 40(pointing towards the vast majority of the population in Steamboat) on a Saturday morning at over 100mph, who ended up at the ER(of his own volition, apparently), and was subsequently RELEASED by our local "law enforcement" with some measly, however sternly presented(I imagine), cute little summonses(autographed and all). No jail time, no arrest, and maybe even a back-rub from the responding officer(s) to calm his crazy a$$ down before he hit the road again.(and that last part just logically followed as a part of my thought process, since abnormality seems to be the theme here.)

THAT was what I originally "made the story" all about. Should we get back on topic?

(and by the way, there was never any mention of cannabis being a contributing factor to this man's delusional experience through our lovely little mountain town.) There, I made it about cannabis. Happy? Or do you have some more business that you need to take care of here?

Glenn Little II 2 years, 9 months ago

Skylar may have been arrested but that won't stop all the illegal marijuana cultivation operations going on in Routt county.. He is going to be made an example out of while all the real criminals are laughing at him for covering there tracks. Do you really think it's a good thing he got arrested while all these illegals are out growing the government? Think again and maybe the community should worry more about what is not in the paper on a daily basis!

hereandthere 2 years, 9 months ago

I have no qualms about using this particular story to illuminate the absurdity of pot laws and our local PD's heavy handed approach to dealing with pot users. I question our local law enforcement priorities (and commitment to public safety) when you can get pulled over for a broken tail light and then arrested for DUID for simply having a pipe in your car, but not get arrested while driving at 100 mph down Rabbit Ears while eluding police. Something seriously wrong with this picture, and I would think that would be obvious to a rational thinker. Any unrational person want to argue with that?

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 9 months ago

I commend the cops on this one. Law enforcement agencies world-wide have begun imposing restrictions on high speed pursuits, to mitigate the danger of uninvolved drivers & pedestrians being struck by a fleeing and possibly panicked driver. Ideally, the cops would have been able to execute a pit maneuver (although, I don't know how feasible it would have been at those speeds), or had the time to deploy spike strips. Absent those opportunities, I'm glad the officers chose to err on the side of caution.

Driving thru town yesterday, I was struck by all the traffic - pedestrian, motorized, and otherwise - along Lincoln. I shudder at the notion of this obviously disturbed driver getting flushed through all of that.

As to why the driver isn't in custody, the piece indicates that decision was made after he was evaluated, and I'm content to give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt.

jk 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe he was in a hurry to get a doctors prescription, and pick up his meds?

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

Sep-

And I'm really not trying to pick a bone with you, but I guess I don't understand you stance.

What really confuses me is that I would have thought that the mental evaluation would have been the "cherry on top," or "the final nail in the coffin," for this young man.

I just see it a little more black & white than that I guess:

Over 100mph Eluding police Heading TOWARDS most of the endangerment(or people) Received confirmed positive results on a mental illness evaluation(I'm assuming, conducted at Yampa Valley Medical Center) .....then released with mere summonses. Not even a trip to the jail Was a handcuff even out of it's holster?

What concerns me the most is that it appears as though this 'gentleman' was so easily turned back over to the community with his freedom, and probably his vehicle too. I am not content with that. I don't care what kind of crazy this guy is toting around on his back. And it really doesn't have much to do with the unjust persecution of cannabis users in relation to how harmless everyone else seems to be.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 9 months ago

Did they even take his keys away from him? Friends don't let friends drive crazy.

mmjPatient22 2 years, 9 months ago

Did they take him out for ice cream afterwards?