Rod Podszus: Good luck with that

— Good luck with that

My wife and I are longtime fans of Steamboat Springs. We’ve been vacationing in the area for over 30 years. We’re also former property owners. Lately we’ve been thinking that it would be nice to own a place again so we’ve been checking out the town.

Downtown seemed nice … new condos, new restaurants, lots to do, and close to the trail and bus lines. So last week we rented one of the condos on Yampa Street. What a disappointment. We felt we had stumbled onto a nonstop drunken fraternity party. The yelling, screaming and brawling lasted till 2 or 3 a.m. Loud music blasted the valley all day. It followed us up Howelsen Hill and all along the bike trail. So much for enjoying the beauty of the Yampa Valley.

I feel sorry for anyone who’s bought one of those nice new condos downtown. We were just renters, so we’re not stuck there. And believe me, we won’t be buying anything downtown. We may consider the mountain, but locals told us that plans are under way to develop a music venue up there, too. We’ll postpone our decision until we see what that site looks like. We’ll also expand our property search to other areas, such as Crested Butte, which still seem to value their natural resources more than the party crowd.

And for the record, we’re not old senior citizens who live in a cloistered environment. We live in a large city, in a mixed-use neighborhood, four blocks from a college, with renters on our block. We’re used to traffic and lots of activity. We cycle, ski, kayak, snowshoe, hike, shop, eat out and spend a lot of money when we come to the mountains. So it saddens us that Steamboat Springs seems to be turning its back on its traditional vacation activities and instead seems to be pursuing a LoDo atmosphere and a spring break kind of crowd. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Rod Podszus

Colorado Springs

Comments

Amy Harris 3 years ago

Sorry, Rod, but perhaps you ought to look in the mirror and ask yourself whether you are indeed turning into a cranky old man. Judging by the tone and content of your letter, that's exactly what you are. However, you do get a bonus point for tolerating "renters on (your) block."

space 3 years ago

Crested Butte? Good Luck with that! And just fyi, that was a music festival, you should have checked the schedule and made an intelligent decision.

kathy foos 3 years ago

So what did you expect?You rented a place downtown and that is in Steamboat(much larger than Crested Butte and not so remote.There are many dude ranches here or go camping for free ...then you won't have to spend any of your money and no one will make any noise but the birds.They do sing too!

cara marrs 3 years ago

What a rude letter, to think that someone took the time to write this . There was a music festival that day as Space pointed out, something by the way we are usually sorely missing in this Valley! I would also point out that downtown Steamboat is one of the mellower downtown nightlife scenes in most ski areas of its size. Having Yampa be a hub of activity increases the viability of Steamboat and allows us to bring in more visitors not less. Perhaps Mr Podzus should try to visit on a quieter weekend instead of in July, our busiest summer month, and yes we have plenty of very beautiful guest ranches that offer solitude and quiet year round. I would say Steamboat as a city and residents values our natural resources above everything shown by the city maintaining the very bike trails you rode on while you were in town on Howlesen. If we did not value the outdoors as one of our #1 assets we would not put up with some of the hardships that come with living here at times like 500+ inches of snow falling and lingering well beyond ski season and the financial ins and outs of living in a tourist driven city. To compare DT Steamboat to LoDo is beyond ridiculous.

blue_spruce 3 years ago

i bet this guy is somehow connected to the howelsen folks and their high priced law firm. a PR move fo sorts...it just doesn't sound authentic! crazy...

exduffer 2 years, 12 months ago

And what kind of traditional vacation activities used to take place in downtown Steamboat Springs at night?

Tamera Manzanares 2 years, 12 months ago

Common sense once again eludes the vacationer. Nice that he wants to blame everyone else for his lack of foresight. Perhaps he was hoping for downtown Steamboat circa 1950 - but then he probably wouldn't have been able to rent such fancy digs.

It is nice to see an out-of-towner bring the normally opposing forces of online opinions together!

Jeff_Kibler 2 years, 12 months ago

Yampa Street condo? Coal trains in the middle of the night. Ignoring the music fest, as someone who has "... been vacationing in the area for over 30 years" you'd kinda think they were well versed in the music and accompanying noise that has occurred downtown AND on the mountain for years. "...a music venue up there, too." Here's a newsflash, some music venues still exist on the mountain, not to mention the free concerts by the gondy.

Many quiet residential neighborhoods exist in Steamboat, Oak Creek, Hayden, Clark, Hahn's Peak and elsewhere in the county. Buy a house or half-a-duplex or a double-wide. You'll meet real people that will welcome you as a neighbor, and keep an eye on your place when you're out of town.

bandmama 2 years, 12 months ago

Mr. Podszus, I would like to thank you for considering Steamboat for your other home! and I am very sorry that your last stay was not enjoyable. I would like to point out that Steamboat is a vacation destination for many! And we very much depend on the tourist dollars to help support the community in so many ways. I would also like to point out that the majority of the nightlife in town during any busy season is not the locals, but those same tourists that we depend on. I would like to invite you to visit during an off season weekend. You will note a huge difference in the nightlife, the bustle and noise. There are reasons that many of us live here all year, all the time. And considering the fact that some of those celebrating a great time in the boat are the same ones that allow us those jobs that make it possible for the locals to enjoy the Valley as much as we do full time. And maybe you will find over time that those noise makers are some very nice people.

Collin 2 years, 12 months ago

Obviously you are all missing the point...

Everyone in this town is sticking up for noise and those who create it, when I would dare guess most of you do not even live downtown.

I own a condo downtown as well (NOT @ Howelsen Place) - I would like to invite you to come spend an evening in downtown Steamboat with me and truly see how impossible it is to sleep or even watch a movie or read a book without the constant pounding of noise from The Ghost Ranch, The Boathouse and Sunpies crowd out front. It is simply not acceptable any more.

I could tolerate the noise for the first summer we lived here, but now, in light of all the noise ordinance business, it has truly gotten worse. It is as if the owners of these establishments are just ignoring their civic responsibility and being blindly ignorant to the rift they are directly causing... its a big middle finger to anyone who owns property downtown and especially to the tourists who come to our town and support our restaurants and businesses. People will eventually stop coming back and then they will be the first to complain when they do - even though they are the ones who drove them away in the first place.

If the owners of the establishments on Yampa would simply close their front doors and windows and be good neighbors, 90% of this issue would simply go away... OR, how about having bands and music acts finish up at 11pm when the ordinance kicks in? More guests may even come out to support those shows if the acts started earlier! I am only in my 30's and I would never go see an act that was coming on stage at 10 or 11pm as they do at the Ghost Ranch - I don't care if it was my all-time favorite band! Been to three big shows at Red Rocks this summer - all of them started around 7pm...

Part of owning a business in a mixed-use area is learning to compromise and co-exist with your neighborhood, Steamboat is clearly not ready to that yet.

bandmama 2 years, 12 months ago

I really dont think I am missing the point, those that choose to live in downtown Steamboat and made (I hope) an intelligent decision to reside in that spot, need to remember that the noise is part of a tourist town! I made the choice to live in a much more quiet location, yet I can still, with a short drive, enjoy the nightlife if I choose to do so. Does the tourist dollar mean so little to some that you are willing to turn off the visitors by demanding peace and quiet on the only main street we have? I think back to last summer when we as locals saw NO ONE downtown and several businesses closing the doors. I drive down down this summer and am very thankful for every person I see walking the sidewalks spending money at the many stores still left. It is called JOBS. For LOCALS. if you dont care for the noise, then why in almighty Hades did you choose to live in the middle of the hub? You made that choice yet expect the many THOUSANDS of visitors to tiptoe around you? I think you were misled. Without these activities, we wouldn't have an income in many cases. There are some many beautiful peaceful quiet spots to reside in. if you made a foolish choice to live on Lincoln, deal with it. I compare it to moving to Broadway in NY and complaining about the traffic. No, I dont like the noise, no I dont care for not being able to enjoy a quiet evening. But if I lived on Lincoln? I know that a nice drive to Hahns Peak of a day, or a nice ride along the Core trail could give me a break, and I sincerely appreciate the hand that feeds me. There is always Mud Season!!!

bandmama 2 years, 12 months ago

Let me also point out that many of us "crazy" locals dont even get off work (working jobs to support the tourist dollars...) till later at night. On those rare occations that we get the chance to enjoy the many FANTASIC musical venues that come to the Boat BECAUSE of the tourists, give US a chance at the lifestyle we know and love! If we work 8-12 hour shifts busting butts, yes I do LOVE the hustle and the nightlife our SMALL town offers. Without those pesky noisemakers, we wouldn't get to enjoy the most awesome, talented musicians that allow US to relax and kick back and realize why many work so hard. Music is a HUGE money maker, why in the world would we as locals make it more difficult for those who want to play for us to be here? Those of us that work here year round cant afford to spend the $10,000 the average family of four would spend to BE US. And we dont have to!!! It is here, where we live! We are extremely fortunate to have such things at our disposal. We are the lucky ones, because we see it year round. And those that have been here a while? Also are blessed enough to know those other out of the limelight spots to go to when we need a break.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 12 months ago

I don't know if anywhere else there has been a greater disconnect between those that enjoy downtown nightlife vs the intended market of downtown condos.

Condos marketed to baby boomers with fancy finishes and a downtown nightlife oriented towards the under 30 crowd. Note that Strings is not downtown and so on. And where are all of the under 30 nightlife spots? Downtown.

Is there literally anyone that leaves one of downtown's nightlife spots and comes home to one of the downtown condos?

Kristopher Hammond 2 years, 12 months ago

Rod, thanks for writing. 30 years ago, Summer in downtown Steamboat was quiet, with the occasional cricket chirping and the lullaby of the Yampa. But it's 2011 and downtown has changed. Did you enjoy the multiple bars and restaurants within a 2 blocks' walk downtown? They weren't here 30 years ago. Did you see anything interesting in the shops downtown? Did you enjoy the river downtown? Did you like the vibe downtown? So do we! And at night, the vibe keeps on vibrating! There are plenty of condos for rent here that aren't downtown and are as quiet as you prefer. Don't give up on Steamboat just because downtown is, like, downtown. Stay at a quiet place and take the free bus downtown. You'll like it even more.

Collin 2 years, 12 months ago

Its called common courtesy and been responsible. These issue do not occur in Denver. They do not occur because there are rules and ordinances that are followed and enforced. Several thousands of people live in Downtown Denver and can still sleep at night. Closing doors and shutting windows after 11pm is not too much to ask. Period.

jk 2 years, 12 months ago

Collin, they don't occur in Denver because the people understood the environment they were moving into! They understood that if they were going to move within a stones throw of a half a dozen bars there would probably be some noise involved!! The thing I think is funny is how upset they would be if a coal train blew through their neighborhood a couple times a day. Yet you seem to have no problem with that Collin?

Collin, is this your summer residence or do you live here year around? I'm a little curious as to why the people walking the streets after 11p.m. in the winter time don't seem to bother you? Is it because you have your doors and windows closed as you are asking others to do? Or is it because you don't even stay here in the winter??

Collin 2 years, 12 months ago

I lived in downtown Denver for eight years, year round, and never heard noise the way I do here in Steamboat. The places in Denver have to keep their doors and windows shut. They have to have vestibule doors. They don't don't have live acts go on stage at 11pm. In all my time in Denver and in LoDo, and in my most drunken college days - I never have acted nor seen anyone else act as stupid and childish as the people walking down the alley on 6th street in Steamboat.

I moved hear two years ago and yes, I live here year round. I bought my condo on the Yampa facing side of Lincoln for the views of Howelsen Hill and for the perceived lack of noise that it offered compared to the nightlong traffic on Lincoln Ave. I was not misled, I bought in the winter and never heard all this noise until the spring and summer. I think its obvious the reason noise is not an issue in the Winter is because the bars and restaurants keep there windows shut and people don't walk through the alley like idiots because its 20 below outside. In the spring/summer, everyone uses "Steamboat Air Conditioning" at night to cool their establishments - even if that means they have a live band on at 1:25am like the Boathouse Saturday night.

All the doors and windows were wide open...when the cops showed up and they closed them all = Silence. Case closed.

Bill Dalzell 2 years, 12 months ago

It seems like people are a bit too defensive around here. Collin and even Rod have some good points. Yeah its a mixed use area, does that mean they should condone some drunken idiot screaming outside a bar at 2 am? Its all a matter of being a good neighbor. I am all for the new development on Yampa. Better restaurants, bars, shops etc. I do also feel, however, that not everyone is being a good neighbor. I could be wrong, but I think Collin's point is to be considerate. I also don't think everyone should be such a hater and just dismiss Rod's comments. I also think its great point, that Steamboat should not be louder than downtown Denver. I personally don't want a drunk idiot screaming outside my house, no matter where I live.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 12 months ago

Yeah, people are defensive because the people that bought expensive downtown condos are trying to shut down downtown SB nightlife. Maybe SB nightlife businesses have been operating differently than those in Denver. But it hardly apparent that they are operating any differently than SB businesses nightlife businesses have traditionally operated..

No one condones some drunken idiot yelling outside at 2 am, but then do not blame the businesses for some idiots making noise when leaving their businesses.

Bill Dalzell 2 years, 12 months ago

I agree, people are defensive and are most often overly so. I also agree that you kind of get what you sign up for in the downtown area. That being said, a lot of people are super opinionated, yet don't really have any idea what goes on.

Unfortunately a bigger part of the problem isn't blaming a business for an idiot leaving, it has to do with them smoking out front (or Back) I do feel that this is their responsibility. You can't smoke inside, so naturally people now go right outside the door to smoke. Then their buddies cruise by, and then more come by and then half the bar is on the street. After a certain hour it just becomes rude and disrespectful to be out in the street yelling. If the bars and restaurants don't want to deal with that, then don't get upset when they start getting called in for complaints. Just a little bit of mutual respect goes a long way.

Oshkoshgirl 2 years, 12 months ago

I have been to many concerts in Denver that have started at 10pm or later. And the noise I hear on the streets of downtown Denver is louder than anything I hear in downtown Steamboat. Alot of times it is from music coming from the bars, but also the lines of people standing outside waiting to get into the bars is extremely noisy. Plus people walking around, police cars with sirens wailing, people honking horns & yelling. It is a city scene. Downtown Steamboat cannot be compared to that. And of course it seems quieter in the winter - everyone's windows and doors are closed - the bars and the residents'. I assume these new fancy condos in downtown Steamboat have air conditioning, if you don't like the noise, use the a.c. and shut the windows. I bought a house in old town, a few blocks from downtown, so I can walk to the bars and enjoy the music and nightlife and then walk home. If you don't like the noise of being in the heart of town, you don't have to live there, there are many options a few blocks away or a few miles away.

Brian Smith 2 years, 12 months ago

One interesting fact from a City Council meeting, when the Ghost Ranch had a live Hip Hop band playing (usually the loudest form of music you hear from the Ghost Ranch), the db readings from INSIDE a HP unit across the street was 33 and 38 with the windows shut, that is pretty much quieter than the forest. So, Colin, I get you don't live in HP, but along with this good neighbor thing, it seems like if the people that live in HP would SHUT there windows, they would not have a problem. Just curious, do you work for Green Courte Partners, LLC or one of the real estate companies trying to sell those units? Can't wait to see Carl's keep the noise down when they have 45 people on the deck...not gonna happen.

Jeff_Kibler 2 years, 12 months ago

I may have to eat some of my own words. Collin mentions " ... the constant pounding of noise from The Ghost Ranch ..." and perhaps that tidbit forms a legitimate complaint.

But I disagree that it's only endemic to Steamboat. I lived in Denver for over 16 years, and the incessant obsession with subwoofers, the constant 4/4 thump thump thump thump, like an uber-amplified kick drum to the head, became extremely tiresome.

Bass frequencies propagate beyond closed windows and doors. (Think of VLF communications with submarines.) High and mid-range frequencies do not. It's fairly common to have multiple 1000W amplifiers in the PA rack to support the low-end of the audio spectrum, and the dreaded thumper.

Let's go green! Reduce electrical power consumption! Play acoustic. Slay the thumper dragon.

Collin 2 years, 12 months ago

I do not work for, nor I am affiliated with Green Courte Partners. I live downtown. At 12:45 on any given night I can hear the words to every song or at least the beat - over my TV, with the A/C on AND my windows closed. No exaggeration.

Carl's has said they will be not be having music go past 11 and they have A/C and a vestibule door, so they can shut everything up and still have an enjoyable music scene. They did their homework and spent the extra money to do it right.

Love the acoustic idea @ Jeff

Brian Smith 2 years, 12 months ago

Collin,

So, 45 people on the deck at Carl's will not exceed 65db's during the day? Just to be clear, I happen to be one of those customers that appreciate The Boathouse, Sunpies and the Ghost Ranch that you say is not acceptable anymore from your 2 years of living in Steamboat. These places are what help make Steamboat unique and where hundreds of locals like to enjoy. Carls on the other hand being the "high class" establishment that you and Green Courte keep pimping it to be is not necessarily what fits Steamboat. I for one after the last council meeting thought the owner of Carl's was quite pompous and holier than thou, and will not EVER step foot in the place. Interestingly enough, I have a feeling you approve of Sweetwater, and this article was probably written and directly related to the Hot Routt Music Festival that they put on a week or so ago. Next thing you know, people like yourself won't approve of the Double Z, because it doesn't look the part of what "we" want Yampa to look like. So the Rodeo and the Free concerts are OK with you I am guessing? They kind of irritate me sometimes, but I realize its the deal I get for living in Steamboat and I don't complain about it. One more thing, if my favorite band is taking the stage anywhere at 10PM or later and I can make it, I will be there.

Brian Smith 2 years, 12 months ago

PS, too bad you didn't buy @ HP, the city readings showing 33 and 38 with the windows closed, you would have been able to sleep like a baby. That's a bummer.

Collin 2 years, 12 months ago

Sweetwater, Double Z, Sweet Pea, Hot Routt, The Rodeo, Free Concert Series, Baseball and Softball Games all have one thing in common - They don't make noise past 11pm.

I am not pimping Carl's, just stating facts.

Jeff_Kibler 2 years, 12 months ago

I have friends that have a small horse ranch at the end of a road out in the county. It is blissfully quiet. Yet, if they so desire, they can fire up a stack of Marshall Amps and target shoot with their Guns and Roses. The trade-offs are it's a 1.5 hour round trip to and from the grocery store and they have a huge tractor to blow the snow from the half-mile of their so-called driveway. It's a great place to visit, but ...

Hell, when my neighbors let their dogs out every morning about 6:30, their yapping wakes me up. It's definitely better than a rooster at 4AM.

It's all about priorities. Quiet or convenience. I don't think you can have both.

Collin 2 years, 12 months ago

To be fair and honest, I personally enjoy Boathouse, Ghost Ranch and Sunpies - and frequent them often...But there has to be give and take.

Brian Smith 2 years, 12 months ago

Collin, again, I believe this letter was originally written because Steamboat was too loud during the DAY for these particular visitors, and that was due to the Hot Routt Music Festival, which therefore IS part of the problem according to the writer. Do you own or are employed by Carl's Tavern?

Scott Agnew 2 years, 12 months ago

This whole thing kind of reminds me of the summer I was 12. Grew nearly 5 inches in 5 months, and boy was that a consistent source of pain and aggravation. Eventually the pain and suffering ended and life returned to normal, only I wasn't the little guy I was before. I was a lot bigger.

Sounds exactly like Steamboat. I've been coming here for more than 30 years - first with my family and then on my own. I remember a lot about this community, and one thing I can recall is that this was never really a "sleepy little mountain town" by the standards of towns like Craig, Buena Vista, Salida, Ouray, Westcliffe, etc.

Let's not be so naive as to declare that this is some brand new problem either. People have complained about noise in this community forever. People complained about Tugboat, Levelz, Lupos, Mother's, Heavenly Daze brewery, Inferno, Clocktower Bar and Grill, Diamond Lil's, the list goes on and on.

Reading through all of the comments here, having been involved directly in the meetings and discussions concerning this issue, and seeing the police blotter from Saturday night (I think we now know where the anonymous calls to the police came from) the biggest issue here is the people in the street. Those noises are the sound of commerce. The sound of local business owners making money and paying sales tax (which restaurants account for the second largest slice of the tax revenue for the community behind the vastly general category of "misc retail"). The sound of local people working jobs that pay their bills. Vestibules and closed doors won't stop these noises. (Speaking of vestibules - Carl's has been touting theirs over and over but they have 3 sets of doors and only one vestibule. Curious)

Interestingly enough, the local outcry over this issue has been overwhelmingly against the new noise ordinance and in favor of the "high density, commercial districts" in town staying that way.

We have a unique opportunity in Steamboat in that we have plenty of room in our valley. Since these complaints are coming from a very small section of the population (as they always have) and a very concentrated area, perhaps Steamboat should consider leaving our designated high density areas as business centers or change building code to insure that not even the peskiest of sounds (like snow making machines or snow removal equipment) can be heard.

Or maybe lower the cost of special events permits and allow local businesses to buy unlimited numbers of them.

Brian Smith 2 years, 12 months ago

So Collin, I think I recall you from the City Council meetings, and if my memory serves me correctly (please correct me if I am wrong), you are the owner, or GM or whatever for Carl's. If that is the case, bashing your neighbor bars and establishments on an online forum seems to be an odd type of self promotion while at the same time showing all aspects of NOT being a good neighbor. Again, f you are not in any way related to Carl's, I apologize ahead of time for my statement above, it just seems that you also have intimate knowledge of what Carl's is doing to prevent noise issues that are sure to arise.

1999 2 years, 12 months ago

this whole thing with Carls bashing other restaurants , writing letters of complaints about other businesses, etc etc etc. has convinced me that I (or any of my friends) will ever set foot in that place.

I do believe the way you are acting has come back to bite you in the arse.

can't wait to see the place fail.

hey. COLLIN... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 12 months ago

Good job, mTnsmith! If I ever need a private eye, you're my "go to" detective! Wait ... what's that flapping sound? Oh, it's Collin's credibility flying out the window!!!! Collin, me boy, I believe you're about to find out how us small town locals support our local businesses ... or not.

curtybob 2 years, 12 months ago

I've been visiting Steamboat since I was a freshman in high school(about 23 years), and have been spending more time there the last couple of years after meeting some friends that live there. I would have to say that one of our favorite things about Steamboat is the live music venue that it offers. We live in Summit County and as much as we love it, one thing it lacks is good live music venues unless you go to Breck on certain nights, which we would have to travel 25 minutes by car and about an hour by bus. Steamboat offers several places for music that is a short walk/bus ride from anywhere and we enjoy that.

I have been reading this stream of comments the past few days and couldn't hold back any longer on a few of them.... I have been following the whole "noise ordinance" issue....not real close, but close enough. At first I thought it was just an angry resident that was raising a little stink about some drunk people or something.... I couldn't believe when I heard that the City Council was actually considering setting a decibel level to abide by...just crazy! I do not know what decibel level the Yampa runs at, but I would bet that it is higher than the 60 db that they approved....not to mention the traffic, etc...and when they actually approved it, well then I just realized that the city council is nuts too. We have been to several establishments along the Yampa, and always have a great time! I can guarantee that the decibel was higher than 60...and guess what? WE LIKE IT!!!!

And as for you, COLLIN......All of the places that you are throwing under the bus are pretty much our favorite places to frequent in Steamboat. I am from a small town in Iowa, and businesses struggle there the same as they do here in CO...and business owners/managers are supposed to have each others backs, not put your place(that hasn't even opened for business yet and may never get a customer) on a pedistal and make the others seem inferior. I will just take a wild stab at this point and say that I won't give Carl's a shot until I see there is a new Manager on the facebook page and I will be laughing like crazy when I see the cops out writing tickets for breaking the db limit when the patio is filled up!! HAHA, already laughing it up......

Oshkoshgirl 2 years, 12 months ago

Collin, please remember that no matter what you do to keep the music noise inside of Carl's Tavern, your customers who smoke will have to go outside - and people who are standing outside of your bar will talk and make noise and the decibel level will go over the legal limit. So unless you do not allow smokers to enjoy your establishment and spend money and then go outside to smoke, you will have the same noise problems that the other places on Yampa Street have.

Collin 2 years, 12 months ago

You guys have me as the owner of Carl's... Well, unfortunately for you, you are all wrong. The owner's name IS in Fact Collin, but it is not me. I am 36 years old and not in any way in the restaurant business. I WISH I owned a place that nice or my own business, for that matter. The only reason I know anything about the place is that I stood and talked to him on the patio of his restaurant about what he was doing and what the food is going to be, one day when I was walking by and peeking my head in.

That is when we discovered we were both named Collin (with two L's). He is a chef (I am a nurse) and is not quite 30 and has only lived in SB for a month. He is a nice guy, just trying to open a restaurant in a small town and raise a family.

I only support the noise ordinance because I live at the Alpenglow Lofts and can hear all these bars at night when I am trying to sleep. Nothing more. If you have a beef, with Carl's - take it up with him. But honestly, I don't see that he has done anything wrong. Give the place a chance, that is what we are known for here and why people want to visit here. SB has tremendous charm and hospitality - lets not tarnish it.

Brian Smith 2 years, 12 months ago

Collin, as I stated earlier, if I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks for the correction. Quite a coincidence you have to agree. Congrats on being able to afford one of the Alpen Glow units on a nurses salary, 95% of the nurses I know could not. I also work in the medical field and know many of them in town, maybe we can meet up and have a beer sometime. So, you live in Alpen Glow lofts, and still hear the "unacceptable" noise from the front of Sunpies? How about the noise from the Old Town Pub, have you ever been by there when they have a band playing and the windows open? I have, pretty loud, I just put it off as downtown being lively. So your Alpen Glow Loft I would think would be of the same build quality of HP (same builders I think?). Interesting the city did db readings inside HP directly across from the Ghost Ranch and only recorded levels of 33 and 38 with the windows closed, yet you say you can sing along with every song. Alpen Glow Lofts would not be in direct shot from any doors or windows from the Ghost Ranch, odd. Anyway, even from the holier than thou comments I heard from Collin the GM of Carl's Tavern at the council meeting, I and my friends, are still not going to step foot into the place. He threw other local business's under the bus saying that Carl's would be far superior and will not be having these issues, and that is NOT cool. He also has had the opportunity to start from scratch, the other business's were already in place before this big downtown condo movement insisting that local business's change there ways. Not really fair to business's that were already in place to expect them to come up with $$$ in today's economy to satisfy new to downtown residents that may not appreciate downtown the way it is.

PS, the Red Rock shows you went to starting at 7PM, no kidding, its an out door venue!! Ever been to the Gothic or Bluebird or any other music venue in Denver? It is quite common that headliners don't start until 10PM or after.

Bill Dalzell 2 years, 11 months ago

mtnsmith, most headliners start at 11 pm in Steamboat. Right or wrong it would help mitigate some of the issues if they did start earlier. Rod and Collin are just bringing up points that should be looked at. I don't understand why you make it such a rich man poor man issue. Stick it to Collin cus he lives in a nice unit. Maybe its deed restricted, but the point is it doesn't matter. It discredits your opinion.

Lots of arm chair quarterbacks here with no solutions. Just opinions of what is wrong. Speaking of wrong, city council actually raised the noise ordinance from 55 to 60 decibels. The whole vote everyone out is a bit ignorant, when not everyone even voted for it. Two council members are actually huge proponents of live music. Its all about being respectful to your neighbors. I am all for live music and agree that downtown living is not the same as being on the mountain. You have to understand that, to a certain degree, if you own or rent downtown. That being said, at times certain people and places have not demonstrated a mutual respect for their neighbors.

Jodav 2 years, 11 months ago

so 1st of all let me clearify something. This whole noisee ord got started when a Howel place resident complained about noise @Ghost Ranch. Just so you all know. They called in the complaint @9pm when the free concert was goin on, there was no music @Ghost at that time.The police arrived @ghost bout 10:30. Yes by then there was music @ghost. In the long run and afta much $ spent ghost fought it and won in court. So rem when you make a complaint make sure you ah 100% sure where the noise is coming from. Obv the complainer from HP was wrong about where the noise was coming from.BillyD when people are outside smoking and talking how can u expect the establishment they are outside of to be responsible for that.Thats crazy. Just so you all know 2 people having a normal conversation will violate the noise ord. Most people and businees are in favor of an ord, but one that will work. Carls keeps touting how they'll be just fine. Horse puckey. They haven't even opened yet.Yet they know they'll be in compliance. Smells like bs to me. alot of what Carls touts sounds like bs to me. 3 doors and only 1 vestibule. Interestin to say the least. Can't wait for them to have music past 11pm so I can prove what a liar Carls is.Yes we do all need to be neighborly. speaking of late nt noise. How loud is it when they remove snow in the winta or empty dumpsters. Noise is all around @all hrs of the nt and not just from Bars. Really Collin you thought livin dtown near many bars and restaraunts wouldn't be that noisy. Thers no way dtown Stbt is worse then Denver. No way.I'll post more lata when I simmer down. Unfortunetly afta the noise ord started to take shape, there were aholes goin around late aaaaaaa@nt makin even more noise. I do not condone that nor do any of the businesses esp the ones directly invovled in all this. For the record I am not affliated witha ny of these fine establishments dtown. I'm just one of their customers who happen to love hang out there. Jodav