Taze Henderson and Missy Krause ride their bikes along Yampa Street in downtown Steamboat Springs. The city of Steamboat Springs plans to install designated bike lanes on Yampa Street next week and also has added signs to designate shared use on roads.

Photo by John F. Russell

Steamboat bike-friendly initiatives continue with new lane markings

— New markings on streets throughout Steamboat Springs are meant to remind people that roads have many users.

The shared lane markings, or “sharrows,” feature a bicycle with two arrows designating the direction of travel. The markings are meant to serve as a reminder and do not signify a designated biking lane, which are marked with a solid white line and are typically five feet wide.

City of Steamboat Springs Public Works Director Philo Shelton said the sharrows have been painted on narrower 24-foot wide roads throughout Steamboat that are used frequently by cars, pedestrians and cyclists.

“It’s not a big change in the roads, but hopefully it drives awareness,” Shelton said.

The Steamboat Springs City Council approved the sharrows with the intention of making Steamboat a more bike-friendly town while not spending a lot of money, Shelton said.

Paint was purchased for about $3,500, Shelton said, and public works employees painted the markings. Like all street markings in Steamboat, the sharrows will have to be repainted every year.

“I think it’s a great new addition for all users of the road,” said Grant Fenton, a leader of local Bike Town USA efforts to increase cycling infrastructure and tourism. “The whole community of Steamboat will benefit because of the sharrows.”

According to a city news release, the sharrows were studied for several years before being approved by the Federal Highway Administration in 2009.

Fort Collins was involved in the sharrow pilot program and has used the markings for more than four years. Fort Collins and other test communities found that sharrows help both motorists and bicyclists to use the road more effectively and safely.

Fenton said future improvements to make Steamboat a more bicycle-friendly community, including other increase signage, are planned for later this summer.

“It’s just beginning,” Fenton said. “The whole primary purpose of the Bike Town initiative was to get things done.”

Shelton said designated bike lanes are scheduled to be painted on Yampa Street next week. Currently the city’s only bike-specific lanes are on Oak Street and Seventh Street. Bike lanes denote an area where other vehicles cannot drive, park or otherwise come to a rest.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Zac Brennan 3 years, 5 months ago

The markings are a good idea. So are the signs regarding no bicycles,skateboards,etc. on the Lincoln Ave. sidewalks. Whatever happened to the bicycle cop usage? With the sidewalk sales and patio dining an accident is waiting to happen if a cyclist cruises the sidewalks.

dave pieknik 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks again to all involved to make SB a safer bike community... I do have a few favorites- the ones before and after the traffic circle on Mt. Werner are mostly in the car lane, one leads to a dead end. The ones on Anglers, Yampa, and Village are just plain out there. Watch out for F350 Super-Duty mirrors. Seems like packing 5 pounds of bike lane into a 2 pound box. Again, a sincere thanks for this effort by all involved.

grundy 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh c'mon, bike town USA is about 3 things - marketing, marketing, marketing. The new bike lanes have brought some unintended humor to the scene though.

Oshkoshgirl 3 years, 5 months ago

Yampa Street between 5th and 8th Streets is barely 2 lanes as it is, and now bike lanes make it one to one and a half lanes at the most.

OnTheBusGus 3 years, 5 months ago

What about the bike lane up Mt Werner Rd/Circle that runs parallel to a bike path? That would be my favorite.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

And not that it's exactly on topic, but....

MY personal favorite is the squadron of hardcore, pole-pushed, roller-bladers that choose to occupy an ENTIRE lane of River Rd during rush-hour traffic. Wouldn't want to have that kind of athleticism on the core trail now, would we? And it's not like they push themselves along at anywhere near the speed of the rest of traffic, but we(vehicles) get to do that speed anyway due to a complete lack of opportunity to pass these fine people. But maybe the other 20-30 cars that were backed up behind me felt different about them and their right to the roadway.

....brilliant, simply brilliant.

steamboatsconscience 3 years, 5 months ago

The city can find money for this boondoggle, yet they haven't even done any regular striping on the roads yet. Guess these BTUSA have good lobbyists.....remind me again why I pay taxes? Speaking of BSUSA... I mean BTUSA, how come Steamboat isn't in this article? http://www.thestreet.com/story/11190564/1/10-best-us-bike-cities-of-2011.html?CM_VEN=AD|TWR|JC Boulder and Fort Collins are in it, I guess we are #3 in the state....not.

cindy constantine 3 years, 5 months ago

Let's be honest here. How much sense does it make to call ourselves "Bike Town USA when we get up to 8 months of snow each year. And isn't it a bit confusing to the folks who have known us as SKI Town USA for decades. Do you think they might think we have given up on our ability to provide world class skiing? We can advertise all the bike events we want and paint silly signs on the roads (like bikers don't understand which direction they should be riding) without coming up with a new and FUNDED mantra. I smell an odor of desperation in the air and just don't get it. Bikers will spend a lot less money in this town than the family reunions and weddings that happen here all summer. Not to mention all the sporting events that bring money to this town.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

cindy-

I think we all know what happened. The economy went completely south and so did peoples' ability to go on a ski vacation. I don't think I need to remind anyone how costly it is to go out for a day on the slopes, especially for a family. So, in order to attempt to recuperate of lost funds, anyone involved in selling and/or marketing this town to the rest of the world is willing to prostitute it(the town) out to whatever thing stands the best chance of bringing in the most bucks. In this case, it's bikes. It's all about money.

Zed 3 years, 5 months ago

mmj,

Do you mean roller skiers? I would assume you know the difference living in a town with so much nordic ski heritage.

And cycling in Steamboat is not prostitution/money, the initiative may be. People here love biking, just look at the growth of the Town Challenge, look at the success of the five bike shops in town, look at the $$ these events raise for local charities. Oh, Ride For Yellow must be about prostitution as well, with that $300,000 they raised for cancer research.

Cindy, The list of biker related events is here: http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/SBCCAssets/files/main/cycling_events_poster2011_w.gif

These do not represent desperation, these represent our community and the majority of these events are born out of locals, not marketing schemes. And I fail to see how the economic impact of weddings would exceed for example Ride the Rockies coming to Steamboat for two nights with 2000 credit card carrying riders.

mtroach 3 years, 5 months ago

Mmjp22; shouldn't you be tring to make friends and win votes to keep your habit semi legal instead of speaking out against the Winter Sports Club's talented athletes? I'm pro legalization but your negitive posts againts sharing our roads really makes me rethink my position. You want support and tolerance for your "medicine" but can't tolerate others on our roads. Great position, way to represent the pro-mmj population.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

zed & roach-

Let me get this straight.... ...Nordic ski heritage is deeply steeped in roller-skiing on semi-busy roads...? ...and there's no aim to glean any available spendable funds from any activity conductible in this city/county...? ...and I'm supposed to be on a friend-making mission aimed at all of those that aren't already supportive of what my beliefs are about cannabis(and its legislation)...? ...and, subsequently, I'm supposed to deem all of my opinions about any other subject null and void, should they be contradictory to the main flow...?

Do I have that about right?

My "negative posts" are merely a reflection of what my true feelings are on the matter in general. As my father(a former law enforcement officer) always taught us kids, it's not us(his children) that he was worried about. It was everyone else on the road. Granted,he wasn't likely referencing bicyclists as the "everyone else," but they sure do stand to be affected by the negative consequences that could possibly befall them on the same roadways that so many idiots share with them. In other words, no matter how safe you view your own safety practices(or precautions, if you will) to be on the road, there's always someone dumber than you on the road that stands a fair chance of not adhering to the same safety protocol( or defensive driving) as yourself.

If I may so humbly opine, my father was talking about those situations. To that degree, I make my aforementioned proclamations;

1.(in summation) It's not very smart to assert your rights to the road(being on roller-ski's, regardless of your numbers, and all), especially during a time when more cars(most weighing well over 1 ton) are on the road than are normally. 2. A vehicle is a weapon. It is a very heavy weapon. Weapons can be used for good, but more often than not they tend to end up hurting someone.

But you all must just think I'm just some dumb "stoner" or something, I guess.

Zed 3 years, 5 months ago

1. Guns are also weapons, but at the end of the day guns and car do not kill, however they can be used to kill. Bicycles and roller skis on the other hand do not kill and while they may kill their operator due to neglect, they would likely not kill someone else. So as far as I can tell, the major complaint is A. They are in my way and interrupt my direct line of travel, B. They may dent my vehicle

2. My dad told me that the one person you should worry about is yourself and how you operate on the open roads(and in general life), giving respect and courtesy to other operators in life, even if they may be in the wrong. To that point, it is possible to drive fast and also be respectful/courteous of the slow and stupid.

3. If someone wants to stop rush hour traffic (we really have that in Steamboat!?) by sitting in the middle of the road or taking hay from the field or riding a horse to trail, then so be it. Drive as though you have no right to travel unimpeded on the roads and life is good. It is factual that the delay you incur by slow drivers/bikers/etc, only adds a minute to your trip... You waste more time at the McDonalds drive thru or watching TV.

4. Yes, Bicyclists and other road users need to consider #2 above, partly for their own safety. But if their numbers continue to grow and become a threat to your driving safety, laws should be implemented to change how they operate on the open road.

mtroach 3 years, 5 months ago

I would say intolerant paranoid stoner. But only cause you asked. I try to refrain from name calling on this forum.

To be clear; I do feel our nordic skiing heritage is reflected in a group of potential olympic skiiers training on roller skis.

I feel this town has been selling it's self out way back to before the ski hill was named Mt Werner.

I do think that with a handle like mmjp22 any post you write taints the pro-mmj industry toward your opinion. Same as when my handle was mtbiker and the forumites inferred I spoke for all mountain bikers when I posted. Not so true but that's how it reads.

Mostly I'm just sick of posters telling me and others to get off the roads because I'm not in a car and cars kill so eventually I'll be killed if using the roads outside of a car. I see those posts as fear mongering and using intimidation to force anyone not in a fast moving car to rethink using our roads. Same as if you were tailgateing and honking your horn. Or waveing a gun around yelling;" Watch out! This could go off and kill you, give me my space"

cindy constantine 3 years, 5 months ago

Zed- Ride the Rockies would have come to Steamboat without our new mantra. They have stopped here in the past and will come again in the future. I am a biker and appreciate the rides we have, but that does not qualify us as Bike Town USA. I am also a driver and a pedestrian and walk everyday in the street because there are no sidewalks. As a pedestrian, can I walk in the bike lanes? Do we really need to paint signs on roads of our choosing when every road is available to all forms of transportation. Paint, not a big expense, but will have to be done every year so it will add up and the City did not need to take on this additional expense however small. There are way too many summer activities in this area for us to be considered BIKE TOWN USA--so limiting and frankly, probably a turn-off to some summer visitors who have no interest in biking.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

I think your comment about mmj's "handle" is pretty funny coming from you, mtROACH. lol!

Zed 3 years, 5 months ago

I do agree about the "bike town usa" coming across as marketing and would also agree that it could be a turn off to others if we get too bike crazy too fast. I just disagree on the economic impact of cyclists and bike events in town. \