While much of nation is scorched by heat wave, Steamboat stays mild

— Steamboat Springs is looking like a particularly good place to be this week.

While a heat wave continues to grip much of the nation, here in Routt County the daily high temperature will hover in the low 80s, with overnight lows dipping into the 40s.

Here’s how that compares to some other cities across the country:

• St. Louis will hit 101 degrees today, with an overnight low of 81
  • Thermometers in Phoenix will top out at 108 degrees. It will get all the way down to 85 degrees overnight.
  • Syracuse, N.Y., also will reach triple digits today with a high of 100 degrees.
  • Raleigh, N.C., will see a high of 101 degrees.
  • It’s a relative cool down in Chicago, which will reach 96 degrees today
  • Washington, D.C. will get to 99 degrees today with heat index values as high as 110 degrees.
  • New York City residents and visitors will feel a daytime high of 97 degrees with a heat index of 107. The temperature will climb to 101 on Friday.

And closer to home:

• Durango residents will experience a 91 degree day today.
  • In Denver, the temperature will max out at 93 today before creeping up to 99 on Friday.
  • Grand Junction will hit the mid-90s today and remain there through the weekend.
  • Pueblo will reach 97 degrees today and inch up to 99 on Friday.

Five-day forecast for Steamboat Springs

Comments

Dan Hill 3 years ago

I'm in DC this week where it is hotter than hell and can't wait to get home tonight!

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

Low 70s in Seattle ... and I fear I will never see the sun again :-( Can't wait 'til I can go home!

bandmama 3 years ago

I feel guilty telling family back home in Missouri that I had to close the window or grab an afghan in the evenings. I would "lol" but it isn't all that funny.

Jeff_Kibler 3 years ago

Phoebe, welcome to Seattle. It really doesn't rain that much, just many cloudy days and lots of spits and drizzle. I moved away from my birthplace at the ripe old age of 24 and harbor no regrets. It's a nice place to visit, though, and I miss the steamer butter clams.

bandmama 3 years ago

lol! Fried, fresh caught (as in sitting on the water all day with a cold one) cat fish and blackberry cobbler, still hot from the oven for dinner with a nice background of cicadas and fireflies!!! And cold for breakfast the next day!!! But wouldn't trade it for Steamboat Summers! Or Winters, or Mud Season, Or......

Jeff_Kibler 3 years ago

I can't cogently describe what it is about catfish that I don't like. To me, it has a nasty bite on the tongue. Kinda like farm-raised salmon versus Pacific wild salmon. But hey, if it works for you, awesome. We could be BFF yet our taste buds would never agree.

As a total digression, here's two SNL videos that are very entertaining, for a change. Timberlake and Lady Gagme, "Liquorville" and "It isn't Gay if it's a Three Way."

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

Jeff - That's how I feel about tilapia; they're both bottom feeders. When I was a little girl, we used to catch tilapia in Lake Wilson on Oahu, take them home in a bucket and keep them in the bathtub 'til my mom discovered them and flushed them down the toilet, lol. No one ever thought about EATING them! I must say I've missed fresh seafood in Steamboat, so that's one nice thing about Seattle.

Bandmama - For me ... fresh sashimi, Spam musubi, and a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken (and a cold one!) in a boat with a slightly leaky transom, headed in after a long day of fishing, passing a dolphin or two or a school of malolo (flying fish). But I miss the Boat like I never missed Hawai'i. And I have never seen a firefly ... but it's on my bucket list.

Jeff_Kibler 3 years ago

Phoebe, you are hilarious. Spam musubi? You're the genuine item, not some Howie like me from the mainland. You'll find a firefly as close as Nebraska or Kansas. They're worth the drive.

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

I grew up in Tacoma; the bucket of steamers at Harbor Lights has been sorely missed since I left. My mom was born & raised in Hawaii. I've spent enough time there that I'm forced to confess a long-standing poke addiction. My condolences to Phoebe - the Hawaiian affection for Spam is the result of a fiendish conspiracy: WW2 rationing provided an excuse for evil-minded, mustache-twirling mainland Haole villains to coerce Islanders into a tragic dependence upon the vile substance. Little known fact: Spam's main ingredient is Soylent Green.

bandmama 3 years ago

jeff- lol! Catfish has to have that nice muddy flavor, ever so delicately flavored properly with the cornmeal. When I moved here I didn't care for salmon much.
phoebe- you have to see fireflies in flight on a spring evening. You would know where fairies come from...and SPAM! We need more SPAM. Fried with just a touch of syrup.

MrTaiChi 3 years ago

Spam... oh the cloying aroma fried up with eggs in the backcountry when my backpacking companions were eating rehydrated sawdust for breakfast; the elixir,(or is it oxlicker) of the gods, ambrosia of the palate. Oh vile congregation of snouts and jowls, God forgive me I have tasted and loved you.

bandmama 3 years ago

Mrtaichi- can almost smell it now. I feel the need to buy a can of spam on the way home this evening.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

Sep - lmao! Yes, we Aloha Staters are very proud of our Spam heritage! We've managed to work it into every meal, any time of day or night ... and don't forget two scoop rice!! MrTaiChi - You understand the alllure and I feel one with you ... bandmama - When I get back to the Boat, how 'bout a road trip to find fireflies? I see a movie in it: "In Search of Fireflies" or "The Great Firefly Expedition" lol!

bandmama 3 years ago

Phoebe- DEAL! My parents home is the perfect setting. (it is about a two thousand mile round trip from the Boat but worth it!) We wouldn't have to search. They come to us. And there happens to be an Aldi's store in town also. We can stock up on Spam and have a Spam Fest when we return!

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

bandmama, sounds like a plan! I'll let you know when I get back :-)

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

Spam immortalized in media: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2M...

I note that those proselytizing on behalf of the vile pseudo-flesh are all haoles. As a hapa-haole, I am immune from their malign intrigues.

bandmama 3 years ago

Phoebe-deal! May I suggest that we rent the "Clifford Red" 15 passenger van at Steamboat Motors and take requests for things that are hard to find here at reasonable cost, and are so much less expensive on the road trip, and maybe have a raffle/auction to benefit a worthy cause on the return? Fireflies excluded, short life "spam". But a Spam sort of benefit for something worthy would make it a trip worthwhile as well as fun. Involve the community in this? Photos of said fireflies and other parts of the country (done well) could bring a taste of home to some and raise funds for a good cause. Just a thought.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

Sep - Eh, what makes you think I'm haole, brah? I think your haole half and the fact that you grew up in Tacoma is at the root of your resistance to the wonders of Spam. A love for that gelatinous, pink brick of pseudo-meat is buried deep within your soul and, one day, it will rise to the surface and you will see the error of your ways!! Bwahahahaha! We can still be friends, though, 'cause I could LIVE on ahi poke. And now, damn you, you've got me thinking about what I miss most about Hawai'i (besides the ocean) ... the food!! Lomi lomi salmon, manapua, haupia, kal-bi ribs, the malasada wagon! Oh, man ..... broke da mout', lol!

bandmama - Well, I was thinkin' we'd just jump in my truck and head out, but, hey, if we're gonna do this thing, might as well do it right! As long as we see LOTS of fireflies, I'm game!

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

Actually, I was referring to the players in the Python sketch. Been to Uwajimaya's lately? Damn, I miss a decent Chinatown.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

Oh. okay ... but I AM haole, lol, just messin' with you :-) I am red-headed and as white as they come, but spent the first 33 years of my life in Hawai'i, so I'm quite culturally confused. Yeah, I enjoyed the Python video very much; thanks! Never been to Uwajimaya's, but I did discover 99 Ranch Market, where I found my beloved Li Hing Mui and I am in hog heaven. Also swelled up the the Goodyear blimp, lol!

Phoebe Hackman 3 years ago

oops ... "swelled up LIKE the Goodyear blimp"

bandmama 3 years ago

Phoebe- you can pack a lot of Spam in the back of a pick up...lol!

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

Li Hing Mui...

My keyboard may not survive the drool.