Mike Rumsour, of Missouri, stands Monday along Victory Way with a cross he and a friend built over his shoulder. Rumsour started traveling with his cross in March from the Golden Gate Bridge as part of a project to share his faith with people across the country.

Photo by Joshua Gordon

Cross-bearing Missouri man marches through Routt County

— Walking along a sweltering desert highway in Nevada, Mike Rumsower was screaming to the heavens. The strong desire for fast food with no restaurants for miles around was bad enough, but even more seriously, he was starting to question his mission.

But he kept walking, and within two hours everything made sense again, as he soon met a series of people who couldn’t help but stop and ask him about his unique traveling equipment.

Rumsower, of Gallatin, Mo., is passing through Steamboat Springs today with a large, 40-pound wooden cross on his shoulder. He has been walking across the country as part of a project called Walking in Obedience.

“It’s about trying to help turn people from dark to light and find their faith in Christ,” he said. “I’ve had three dreams about going across the Golden Gate Bridge with a cross. For many months, I’d argued with the quest and once I decided to do it, everything started to fall into place.”

Setting out on March 30 from the San Francisco landmark, Rumsower has since covered more than 1,000 miles, talking to hundreds of people along the way about their relationships with God. However, he said he prefers not to initiate conversation, rather to let people approach him if they want to discuss his mission.

“A lot of preaching I do is one step at a time,” he said. “As a Christian, I believe that we’re not to preach at someone and ram it down their throat. It should be a question, and you couldn’t force it down my throat before I found Christ. There’s a saying: ‘Preach the gospel always and if necessary, use words.’”

Rumsower will end his walk in Gallatin. This is the fifth such walking tour for him but the first to go outside of Missouri.

He said he wants to cover the other side of the nation next year.

“I’d like to go to Washington,” he said. “I think we could use more faith in the capital.”

Rumsower said his journey to serving the lord involved many trials and tribulations, as he experienced problems with his work, home and family before getting serious about his faith about four years ago.

His life still had difficulties even after his embrace of spirituality, with his faith being tested by his wife of 11 years leaving him and their three children.

Rumsower likened his time on the road to the rest of his days — some are filled with smiling faces and support while others are terrifying. He has had a gun pointed at him more than once during the last few months.

“I’m not really in fear of any of that,” he said. “If they shoot me, they’ve done nothing more than set me free.”

While Rumsower is on the road, his kids are getting reacquainted with their mother. Though he misses them, he said he wants to return to Gallatin with the sense that he’s completed something.

Rumsower keeps a cart of supplies attached to the base of the cross. He shops frequently at the towns he passes through and he has bedded down at hotels about one-quarter of his time on the road.

He most often camps out with a fair amount of amenities. He keeps a small generator attached to the cross, which recharges through the motion of the cart’s wheels as he walks.

Rumsower arrived in Craig last weekend, staying longer than he anticipated because of a mechanical difficulty with his cart, the third of which he has used while traveling.

Comments

steamboatsassie 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like this man has a life, trying to help others. Maybe beentheredonethat should "get a life."

rhys jones 3 years, 2 months ago

It's good work, if you can get it. I wonder if the Lord is also sponsoring these walks.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 2 months ago

Geez, beenthere, etc., do you have to be so mean-spirited?!

housepoor 3 years, 2 months ago

Hello. My name's Forrest, Forrest Gump. You want a chocolate?

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks, Gus. For those who didn't look at the link, it's about a guy walking from Perth to Sydney in a Stormtrooper costume to raise money for the Starlight Children's Foundation. Quite an undertaking in that outfit! But what I really found interesting were these two comments:

jem1 10:38 AM on July 19, 2011

The real revelation in this news item is the fact that the Australian dollar is worth that much more than the U.S. Australians and Canadians and British now have returned the British Empire to the top of the financial world through the demise of the U.S Republican policies. The Tories return to reclaim their lands.

IanTheImp 6:01 AM on July 19, 2011

And people think this is a joke, being called a stormtrooper? I'm an 87 yo German who finds this disgusting and am almost amused that Americans are so ignorant and give up so much for mere amusement.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 2 months ago

Before anybody jumps down my throat ... By interesting, I don't mean that I agree with either of these comments. It's just interesting to me the way other countries view us.

beverly lemons 3 years, 2 months ago

Seems like just a flashy way to panhandle to me. I am so not impressed, interested, or sympathetic to some wanna be televangelist living off of those who actually work and contribute to their families and communities.

bandmama 3 years, 2 months ago

HEY!!!! Considering the latest stats concerning obesity in this country, coming from Mo this guy looks pretty darn good! Maybe he will send another message as well??? (HHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!) doubt it.

MrTaiChi 3 years, 2 months ago

@ 3 dogs

You ain't seen nothin yet. Something like this happened a couple of years ago as another pilgrim plodded his way through Routt County. The vilification heaped on him by resident atheists, mother earth worshipers, wikken practitioners, and those whose value system worships youth, physicality and hedonism, included ridicule, suggestions of mental problems, search into his criminal and familial problems and any other tactic calculated to denegrate his faith based behavior, specifically, Christian faith based behavior. It would be ok if he were of a favored victim class like, for instance if he carried a rainbow flag or a dream catcher, then it's freedom of expression.

The picture of this guy made we wonder, "Where's his hat! Hasn't he heard of melanoma?"

MrTaiChi 3 years, 2 months ago

sorry, "denigrate". Speling has alweys bin a challange.

seeuski 3 years, 2 months ago

Wow, I can't help but laugh at the hypocrisy of one baddove claiming that this fellow is living off the working class, LOL my God! Where is baddove on the illegals who gain the system and are abetted by the Liberals who support them receiving tax dollars and free medical along with all the other bennies associated with sneaking into the USA? The ridiculous hate that the high and mighty throw out at a lone soul who is doing nothing but seeking his inner peace is outright enlightening as to the dark hearts we live amongst. Condemn on haters. And someone who has no life making judgement? Priceless. I'd say this guy is getting his life in a big way.

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

Or if he were a bum at the library. Oh I mean "homeless".

Ef yu kin reed thiss tank a ticher!

beverly lemons 3 years, 2 months ago

So seeuski thinks its fine for a parent to abandon his family and assign financial responsibility of his children to the state? If you support this man's panhandling because he carries a cross, I suppose you will also support a liberal illegal who would do the same thing? Anything is ok with you as long as it is wrapped in Christianity, I take it?

I don't see how someone who abandons his family, wont work, and flagrantly exhibits himself is "enlightened," nor do I see how he can find that "inner peace" when he wont take care of his own. But if that inspires you, and is something you admire, have at it.

And, I have a life, I am not a man, and I don't need to abandon my family and make a flagrant display of faith in order to obtain meaning in my life.

seeuski 3 years, 2 months ago

@baddove You have a lot of nerve judging this man, his wife left him and you are going to say he should be home? You would have no problem if this were some hippie jumping in dumpsters or sneakin food at the grocery store while damaging the forest in N. Routt, but because this guy is a Christian, of which faith I don't belong to, you find your place as a child of God to decide that he must be "panhandling". Why are you so mad at this person and why do you seem to hate him for his religious beliefs? I just rode by him on Lincoln ave an hour ago and he ain't botherin nobody. Try waving at him, it may make you feel better.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 2 months ago

Baddove - You really didn't read the article, did you? This guy's wife is the one who abandoned her family: "with his faith being tested by his wife of 11 years leaving him and their three children." And where do you get that he assigned "financial responsibility of his children to the state"? "While Rumsower is on the road, his kids are getting reacquainted with their mother." And I'm especially interested to know how you are so sure this guy "wont work" and panhandles. How do you know he hasn't saved up to do this or has his own source of income? You really read a lot into this article ... without actually reading it. And you have made a flagrant display of your faith, or rather, lack of, by being so judgmental. Geez, the guy's just doing his own harmless thing.

beverly lemons 3 years, 2 months ago

I am sure his children are proud that he ran off, does not have a job, and preaches to people. If your spouse leaves you, is the next logical step to hit the road and make a spectacle of yourself? If you have children, is the way to parent? I vilify him for being a bad parent, not his faith. You defend his ridiculous choice to be irresponsible because he is a Christian.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 2 months ago

Badlove - I think you have some abandonment issues.

cheesehead 3 years, 1 month ago

I say leave the guy alone. Like most people, he has some issues. If this is his way of sorting them out then I say more power to him. I gave him a honk and a wave the other day, it seemed to be all he wanted.