Oak Creek woman charged with 2nd degree assault

photo

Courtesy photo

Melissa Jean Rainey-Schamanski

— Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested a 34-year-old woman Sunday night in Oak Creek after her husband called police saying she was intoxicated and had nearly hit their children with a car in their driveway.

Deputies arrested Melissa Jean Rainey-Schamanski on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol after they said they found her locked inside her home on Wild Hog Drive at about 8 p.m. Deputies said she was exhibiting signs of being intoxicated.

Undersheriff Ray Birch said the woman resisted arrest and scratched the deputies with her fingernails as they attempted to handcuff her. Birch said the woman then repeatedly banged her head against the cage of the patrol car she was placed in after deputies closed the door, which caused her head to bleed. According to the arrest affidavit, she then attempted to spit blood at the deputies.

Rainey-Schamanski was transported to Yampa Valley Medical Center for examination before being taken to jail. She also was arrested on suspicion of violating a protection order, resisting arrest and 2nd degree assault of a peace officer. She was being held at Routt County Jail on Monday on $10,000 bond.

Comments

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 9 months ago

Right on, Doc. Alcohol fueled violence is so commonplace, people seem to have become desensitized. I have never heard or known of one single person becoming violent on marijuana alone. But if I want to smoke and joint and hang out on my deck, I'm a danger to society. Go figure.

bandmama 2 years, 9 months ago

Doc- sometimes intelligence prevents comments. We JUST let it smmer below the surface, No comment needed. Phoebe- agreed And just because, I have an uncontrolled urge to be "openly" honest....(george carlin rules...) It Is.... Not our business. Where as other topics touch a few more lives (to comment on doc's post that was removed.... ) we dont know what happened. And frankly it is not "my" business unless a child/minor was injured/hurt/whatever. It is however, my business if someone uneduated tries to take away MY "right" to make rational decisions to my medical care. I find the plastering of pictures and details to this incident in poor taste by the Pilot. Come on, have some....oh I dont know...class?

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 9 months ago

Good point, bandmama, but I do understand why DrGreenGenes felt compelled to comment. Apparently, the Pilot decided to make it everyone's business by printing this article. I wonder how old this woman's children are. I wonder what it will be like for them to go to school tomorrow. Just briefly scanning the police reports since the beginning of the month, I found 5 mentions of domestic violence, yet this one made the paper, complete with all the gory details ... and an eight by ten glossy photo. I wonder why.

On June 24th, Blythe Terrell posted this:

"As a reminder, by becoming a user of this site, you agree to not:

1. upload, post, distribute, e-mail or otherwise publish or make available on WorldWest Limited Liability Company web sites any libelous, defamatory, obscene, harmful, vulgar, threatening, tortious, harassing, abusive, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, racially or ethnically objectionable, or otherwise illegal material;"

I have thought more than once that the Pilot's definitions of many of those words are not the same as most people's. I know of many cases in which people were falsely or mistakenly accused, proven innocent, and completely exonerated ... but their names are indelibly printed in the weekly jail report. It would be nice if the Pilot followed its own policies.

bandmama 2 years, 9 months ago

"let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be...whisper words of wisdom, let it be...."

bandmama 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh yeah, it is July in Steamboat. No school.....just saying.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 9 months ago

LOL at me!! My kids are all grown; I guess I don't pay attention to the school schedule anymore. But that definitely explains all the little rug rats running around my neighborhood during the day ...

JJ Southard 2 years, 9 months ago

Good....at least this ridiculousness is getting some attention.