Murray Tucker: End weed war

— Forty more people were killed last weekend, making 40,000 over the past five years. If this were Afghanistan, we would be incensed. Sens. John McCain, Lindsay Graham and Joe Lieberman would be calling for more troops. But it isn’t that desert halfway around the world. It’s Mexico.

Forty years ago I was a budget analyst for the Office of Management and Budget. One of my programs was the budget of the National Institute of Mental Health. One of the line items was a $1 million contract with the University of Mississippi to explore the effects of marijuana. The contract was let at the end of the Johnson Administration and the new Nixon Administration was anxious and concerned that the contract was meant to justify a move for legalizing pot.

As the civil servant liaison between the administration and NIMH, I had the task of communicating the administration’s concern. John Ehrlichman and Bud Wilkinson (the first drug czar) voiced their concern with me to transmit to Dr. Stanley Yolles, who was director of NIMH. Dutifully, I was the messenger. What the White House wanted was for NIMH to dictate to the researchers what they should find. Yolles refused and the White House had him, a member of the Public Health Service, reassigned to Alaska. A compliant Dr. Burt Brown was appointed to carry out the mission.

Afghanistan is not the longest war the U.S. has been involved in. We have been losing the war on pot since it was outlawed in the ‘30s. Worse, thousands have died, thousands have been jailed and this war that was started before I was born goes on. We have spent billions, and what do we have to show for it? For-profit prisons have expanded, DEA agents have been promoted (some have died), and yet there is no real proof that having a federal program against pot is even viable. In fact, the opposite seems to exist.

I can understand the stance of people who want to continue to prohibit marijuana as a national policy. We tried prohibition before and it only led to the development of gangs in the U.S. and widespread killing. Majorities in some areas of the country have legalized the sale and use of pot, counter to U.S. law.

As with alcohol, there should not be a federal program that wages war on pot. Control of sale and use of marijuana should be handled by state and local communities. There are many areas of the country that are either totally “dry” or dry on certain times (usually Sundays). I personally do not like the sweet smell of the smoke from pot, although it does not choke me like that of cigarettes. We have spent too much, and matters have only gotten worse since the frenzied push to enforce drug laws against marijuana occurred during the Nixon Administration.

Murray Tucker

Steamboat Springs and

Santa Fe, N.M.

Comments

JJ Southard 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank You Mr. Tucker for this sensible outlook.

muck 3 years, 5 months ago

As of 12:42 pm on July 13, 2011 the war on d rugs has cost US taxpayers:

$ 8,093,870.00 in federal spending $13,794,233.00 in combine state spending This amount averages out to about $500.00 per second to US tax payers. 893,479 people arrested in the US on drug related charges to date. Arrests for drug law violations this year are expected to exceed the 1,663,582 arrests of 2009. Law enforcement made more arrests for drug abuse violations (an estimated 1.6 million arrests, or 13.0 percent of the total number of arrests) than for any other offense in 2009. Someone is arrested for violating a drug law every 19 seconds. 461,034 people arrested for Cannabis in the US to date. Police arrested an estimated 858,408 persons for cannabis violations in 2009. Of those charged with cannabis violations, approximately 89 percent were charged with possession only. An American is arrested for violating cannabis laws every 30 seconds. 5810 people incarcerated for drug law offense this year Since December 31, 1995, the U.S. prison population has grown an average of 43,266 inmates per year. About 25 per cent are sentenced for drug law violations.

GET THE FACTS! BE INFORMED! KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SUPPORTING BEFORE YOU DECIDE WHAT TO SUPPORT!! ASK THIS 1 SIMPLE QUESTION......... WHY IS MARIJUANA ILLEGAL??? THEN GET THE FACTS!

Jeff_Kibler 3 years, 5 months ago

Murray, thanks for sticking your neck out. I'm not huge fan of pot 'cause I don't enjoy the high. Regardless, who am I to deny another person's enjoyment and/or pain relief if it works for them. The ancillary costs of this war are and have been huge.

BTW, I was involved in a federally-funded study and the sponsoring member of the House didn't like our conclusions. The data was pretty much garbage, e.g. 53% of the hysterectomy patients were male. We were directed to alter our conclusions. We were hardly at Murray's level, though.

As an aside, for entertainment value, watch this excellent Canadian TV series:

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

If MJ was legalized would there be a need for dispenseries? Every person could grow their own. Wouldn't the MJ be of no real value due to "supply and demand" ? The government wouldn't be able to tax the sales but there would always be fees associated with driving while impared and other issues that arise from MJ's use -Correct????????????

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

spidermite: While every person COULD grow their own, I'd bet most people wouldn't. For a "weed", it takes an amazing amount of time and knowledge to grow quality marijuana, not to mention the cost of equipment, etc. People can also make their own beer and wine for personal consumption, but, unless you're really into it, it's a hassle. In the end, it's much easier and cheaper to stop by the liquor store on the way home and pick up a six-pack. So, while I don't think dispensaries as they exist now would continue, I believe they would morph into retail outlets, like liquor stores (or may combine with liquor stores?), thus allowing it to be taxed and regulated. And, certainly, driving while impaired for any reason, whether from alcohol, pot, Nyquil or rage, would be illegal.

freerider 3 years, 5 months ago

Phoebe

growing weed is really easy - good pot is in the genetic makeup of the seed

all you need is some dirt , light, water ... it's no big deal and it should be a choice which is the real issue

Pot smokers aren't treated any better than the Jews were in Nazi Germany in some states like Arizona you go to what amounts to a concentration work camp run by sheriff Joe Arpaio ...who is pretty much the Adolf Hitler of the anti Marijuana campaign I believe he would gas them to death if he could get away with it

Most Law enforcement still has this mentality and they are making a lot of money from the busts ....it's really a hate crime against pot smokers

The arrogance and lies from the DEA are a crime and everyone of those over zealous Nazi's should be tried for war crimes against humanity

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

Only a Pothead would compare a Sheriff following the law with the Holocaust!!

Explain this to me after you spend some time looking at the graphic photo evidence. You just can't dig your hole in the ground deep enough can you freerider?

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

phoebe, The only ture problem in growing MJ plants is, if you start from seeds ,you need to weed out the males plants. Their easy to identify. The other problem is spidermites!

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

First, a thank you to Mr.Tucker for giving a NON user's point of view. Well written and thanks for giving the benefit of your viewpoint. Very valid. NEXT...a NEWBIE..Hi spider.... NEXT-seeu-, please dont refer to some of us as "pothead" is is rather offensive. I think from my past posts that you could see some points of view. I am VIOLENTLY allergic to sulfa drugs. That does not mean that they are not valid in anothers treatment. Same with mmj. Just because a medicine does not work for "you" is not an arguement. While taken to an extreme the holocaust reference is almost offensive. Though I see the point in making the referrence. What Jews (and many others) suffered in those years is no where near what mmj users are subjected to. Lets keep things in perspective. Otherwise you may come across as an idiot. (this is not directed to seeuski!!!, ) Why should I (who may not have a green thumb per say) have to grow my own when there are others who have more knowledge to it it under controlled conditions. While yes, I COULD grow my own. I would rather go to the "pharmacy", tell them what I need relief from and have someone with knowledge offer expertise. Sort of like the person behind the pharm counter at Walgreens when I ask what the best cold med may be for my symptoms.

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

And I again need to point out to some, the remarkable stupidity of calling mj a "gateway" drug. I feel the need to point out that I do not, and have never used other "street drugs" to manage my condition. The few times I have tried to wean myself off of MJ, I found myself drinking more to combat the sleeplessness due to pain, the depressive like feelings and other complaints. I have been legally prescribed painkillers, anti depressives and some meds from physicians that really had nothing to do with, and no effect on what I was needing relief from. I find myself time and time again for 20+ years taking A toke OR two and being able to find...relief. Without drinking, without paying out the butt... for repeat dr visits, and the pharm costs. I have not gone to one or two dr's, but many in two states over a very long period of time. What has made a difference is a simple plant. While I realize that many abuse the current debate, there are those of us who dont, and those of us who are productive members of the community whose only crime is using a plant extract in one form or another for relief of an....illness, a condition, or physician diagnosed condition, in my opinion, deserve the opportunity to state these opinions without fear of of the "feds". A simple request.

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

OFFENSIVE? The Holocaust is what set me on fire here, I typically stay away from this drug discussion because the bulk of those here are very volatile. But this takes the cake: "While taken to an extreme the holocaust reference is almost offensive. Though I see the point in making the referrence. What Jews (and many others) suffered in those years is no where near what mmj users are subjected to." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? mmj users are subjected to what in comparison to tortured, murdered, gassed, shot, raped, experimented on, cremated innocent people? This is so telling ,you people.

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

see- please re read my post. I found offence at the term "pothead". I feel that I kindly offered the sentiment that comparing the two issues is completely stupid. My family is a whole mess a Jews. To compare what happened because of a mad man years ago to what happens to offenders TODAY is completely....stupid. I am sorry if I was not forceful enough but I clearly stated that what others suffered are no where what is being done today to mj "offenders". Would you like for me to post a photo of my grandmothers tattoo? I fully comprehend the atrocities suffered in WWII. I was making light fun of free's comment and trying not to be offensive in an open debate. The pointed comparison of the two situations is absurd. I am sorry if I didn't write "angerly" enough. I do see the point of feeling pointed at. And, yes..you have made several comments in these conversations. And you dont stay away. So deal with it. And I do need to ask, how is my comment, so offensive to YOU? What my family, and what others went through is a moot point in discussing the use of MJ in a medical setting. I AM offended by someone comparing the two. Again I am sooooo sorry for not responding in an appropriately angered manner. Not.

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

bandmama, If MJ was legalized the dispensaries couldn't afford to operate. You would need to acquire your mj from friends and neighbors. Should save you alot of money!

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

band, I seemed to have taken the context of your quoted statement differently than you meant it and by your second response I can "deal" with it. Sorry for that as I was still heated up over having to even bother responding to the pothead. I have constantly differentiated between mmj and mj users in my few responses on these mmj/mj arguments, I believe you and I support you in your need for pain relief with mmj, I hope you can see the difference between your plight and those that are piggy backing on the mmj issue for the right to get stoned. I have made my case clear several times recently and I will do it again now, If the legalize pot crowd joins the close the borders crowd they will have my support. Close the borders, no excuses. And as for our shared connection to the Holocaust, I am sorry for misunderstanding your point as I know what that darkness feels like having lived with the cloud of it all my life, I can't let ignoramuses make insensitive statements comparing lies about drug users plights and those that were treated in ungodly ways by Cretans, can't do it. P.S. I never referred to you or any needy mmj user as a "pothead", just those that have a tendency to refer to me as a "teabagger", which is much more offensive a term, and since those using dope to get stoned have always been affectionately called "potheads" where's the harm. Call me a wino, red wino please.

1999 3 years, 5 months ago

so see...what is the differenece in your drug of choice (wine) and someone elses drug of choice (weed)?

so it's okay for you to get stoned on wine?

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

wino, Lets work as a team and "close the borders".

Murray Tucker 3 years, 5 months ago

It's the war on pot that concerns me, not growing or using. We are paying undercover NARCs $100,000+ a year to sit in cars in Baltimore and other cities to trap users who buy an ounce and a half and then are locked up for a year and a half. These NARCs then get bonuses and promotions. We pay more ($50,000 per year per inmate). The Federal Government has waged a relatively successful program of education against the horrors of cigarette smoking. Such smoking is not illegal, but it leads to early death and probably reduced brain function of young children exposed to second hand smoke who become first hand users. Let communities decide. If you don't like that policy, and it is that important to you-move to where you have like minded people.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

freerider - Yes, I realize Mr. Tucker's article has to do with legalizing mj. My comment was a direct response to spidermite's comment that "every person could grow their own" and my opinion on how things would play out if mj was legalized. And, while it's true you can't get good pot from crappy seeds, you can plant genetically good seeds and still get crappy weed for a variety of reasons ... fungus, mold, root rot, nutrient deficiencies and, of course, spidermites :-) Then there's the issue of light. In Hawaii, you can throw a handful of seeds in your yard and they'll take off; six months of winter in Steamboat is a whole 'nother thing, requiring artificial lighting equipment, heat, etc. Add to that, if you ever want to take a vacation, you have to find someone to "babysit" your plants ... It just isn't all that "easy". It's a little bit of a commitment. I guess I have should have been clearer and gone on to say that my point was ... In my opinion, I do not agree that "MJ (would) be of no real value due to "supply and demand" ? The government wouldn't be able to tax the sales".

Yes, the issue is legalization and the billions of dollars and untold manpower wasted on the "drug war". Money and manpower that could be used to secure our borders, improve our educational system, create jobs, fight real crime, etc., etc, etc.! It's been said to death: Prohibition doesn't work. Enforcement of marijuana prohibition in Hawaii has only succeeded in giving it one of the nation's highest "ice" (a glassy, crystalline form of methampthetamine) use rates. Ice is much easier and cheaper to buy, thanks to Operation Green Harvest. The more the government digs their heels in, the worse it gets.

seeski - "This is so telling ,you people." Just want to clarify that freerider's remarks were not make by "we people", but one slightly overzealous kid who needs to think before he/she speaks. I don't believe any of the adults on this forum agrees with that analogy. Nothing in history compares to the holocaust. Freerider, you should apologize.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm .... no matter how much I preafrood, seems like a few typos always get by me :-P

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

see- thank you. spider- I dont have the patience to wait for it to grow... Amazing that some who are all for keeping it illegal have no issues with rapists and child molestors getting released early to make room for those horrible pot smokers.

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

phoebe, It's economics. Whenever their is a surplus of a commodity the value drops. Lighting isn't that expensive. Lights,water,heat,etc. can be put on timers. Enjoy your vacation!

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

I forgot to address "the government wouldn't be able to tax the sales" If the markets flooded, which if legalized it will be, their is no value for the product. It's difficult to sell something of "no value". No sales, no taxes! This comment will generate some response!

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

@Phoebe I appreciate you for commenting, I let emotions get the best of me and and reacted to some very childish, hurtful statements last night, I am aware of the rights issue and believe me I am torn on this thing. As of this moment the laws are the laws and it is not illegal for Coloradans to, as bandmama does, seek relief from mmj. It is the way in which the party crew treats their fellow members of society because they can't freely toke up as of this moment so reverting to name calling, threats, breaking into the home of believed adversaries etc. is the tactics of the times that I abhor.

@pothead How do we do this team thing and close the borders? Are you ready to send the National Guard to protect the borders and tell Obama to do his job and lay off AZ for trying to protect it's Citizens? Who said States don't have their 10th amendment rights? Not me! If the Citizens of a State vote unanimously I am there, Tea Party and all, especially my original Tea Party Libertarian friend.

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

And AZ is NOT usurping Fed immigration law, the FED/Obama is failing to uphold his oath of office to protect the Citizens of the USA from all enemies foreign and domestic! It is the FED Gov't that is mandated by the Constitution to protect our US sovereignty, are they? NOOOOOO....... Absolutely not, "fast and furious" Get back on board.

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

seeuski, Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a "pothead". I love to raise plants. All types of plants. I don't have the ability to send the National Guard or contact Obama. I try to make changes through campaigning and voting. You said to call you "wino" so I did. Didn't mean to upset you.

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

LOL! spidermite- I am afraid that sometimes substances other than weed can interfere with ones ability to comprehend the English language. One would think that with a "name" such as spidermite that you may have some experience in the garden. see- (and correct me if I am wrong sprider..) but I got the feeling that the term "borders" was referring to the 'borders" of debate and ideals. And you did refer to yourself as a wino. Just saying. Perhaps some need to look into the overcrowded prisons, and do a headcount as to how many serving time due to pot. (and no, I am not talking about other drug offenders) I for one am ok with letting them go and putting a few more violent "criminals" in house instead. But alas, if we were to do that we would be encouraging some to take a real look as to what constitutes a potentially dangerous mind. As we all know how outrageously dangerous a smoker can be when you stand between him and his Doritios...... as oppossed to a crack/meth addict and standing between them and their pipe. Or a pediphile and child, or a rapist and a woman.....again just saying.

rhys jones 3 years, 5 months ago

mama -- You raise a good point. Personally, I believe ALCOHOL users should be licensed, where a visit with a psychiatrist is a mandatory prerequisite. Everybody knows how a few shots of Jack can turn an unstable person into a downright danger. That'd probably hamper my own drinking.

And the DISPENSARIES!! You can't even see in the windows, for all the posters pushing their poisons.

I may enjoy a PBR or three from time to time (Fat Tire and Bud just give me headaches). I'm just saying, if we're really concerned about dangerous substances, there may be some skeletons in our own closet.

Got it YVB.

band, I sarcastically called myself a wino to lighten things up, spidermite felt cool using that as my new handle, I reciprocated in a lighthearted way, is everyone so thin skinned?

And the border between Mexico and the USA and Canada and the USA is the only borders I meant, clearly so. As California prepares to release some 60k criminals I am totally with you bandmama, non violent/non distributor types who are serving time for mj abuse would be my preference on the street corner rather then a rapist/murderer/robber.

spidermite, does your voting for change comment indicate you won't vote for Obama? He clearly won't control the free flow across the borders.

spidermite 3 years, 5 months ago

Seeuski, I took no pleasure-nor did I "feel cool" when I refered to you as "wino". You post said to call you wino. It musta been the wine talking. Bandmama- "between him and his Doritios" I like ya already!

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

The problem with written words is that people usually interpret them based on their own attitudes and agendas, not the writers. Sarcasm, especially, does not usually translate well. I thought spidermite's use of "wino" was lighthearted and "affectionate". If I "affectionately" call you a "teabagger", I'm pretty sure you won't take it that way. That's why we have the opportunity to preview our comments before hitting that post button. Everybody be nice and don't make me separate you :-)

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

Doritos are not too pleased with that sarcasm.

OK so lets see, hit preview, review my post, now hit post comment. Presto.

That was a pleasure! And cool too! Now swig wine, ahhhh no permit necessary. Never will be.

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh yea, spidermite passed on the Obama question so we have another false claim. One more time, will you not vote for Obama in 2012 so we can get someone in who WILL secure our sovereign borders? Yes or no?

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

You know what/who scares me more than Obama??? Sarah Palin supporters. Please..... wont anyone acknowledge the great gap in simple, basic thougtht process? There seems to be way to many.... zealous thinkers... inter-mixed with many relig-E-ish zealots for anyone to make an intelligent, rational....choice. While I appreciate my "rights" as an "American", and truly appreciate the sacrifices SOOOO many have made, to allow me to put this in print without fear of repercussion... doesn't anyone else out there in La LA LAAA Land think that it time to ponder some choices? One small example. AND NOT TO BRING IN...another debate to this one, but if there had been a law in Fl., about reporting a child missing within so many hours, Ms Anthoney would not be getting out of jail free tomorrow. What is wrong with the American Public when we are afraid to speak up as to what constitutes a crime? So some want to make the smoking of a plant legal. So what? I cant legally drink whiskey at any bar in town till they throw my butt out. But cant sit in my own home and toke something that helps my ailment? BUT, I can drive down Lincoln impared by booze and the neighbors will only shake the heads. If I were found with "tools of the trade" in my car, then I would be a druggie. Go figure. (and NO, I never drive under the influence or have it in my car. Same said for the leaglly prescribed Vicadin I am taking tonight.... ) cause I am outta my meds.... HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

All I know is, if I have to listen to Sarah Palin's voice for four years, I'll be having earplugs surgically implanted.

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

Phoebe- I am willing to bet that that proceedure would be covered under Obama-care!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

rhys jones 3 years, 5 months ago

If this country ever elects that airhead to any significant office outside Alaska, I have seriously misjudged the average American intelligence level.

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

Get ready for huge disappointment my left wing friends. You, who voted for a known lefty Marxist with no known past are going to make claims against Sarah Palin? Priceless!!

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

see-

Yes, at least we've got a known history on Palin. Here's a brief list.

1. "As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008 (Watch video clip)

2. "The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil." –-Sarah Palin, in a message posted on Facebook about Obama's health care plan, Aug. 7, 2009

3. "All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a single newspaper or magazine she reads, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008 (Watch video clip)

4. "Well, let's see. There's ― of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ―" --Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with other than Roe vs. Wade, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008 (Watch video clip)

cont'd..... .

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

cont'd....

1. "'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'" --a Tweet sent by Sarah Palin in response to being ridiculed for inventing the word "refudiate," proudly mistaking her illiteracy for literary genius, July 18, 2010

2. "He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed." --Sarah Palin, botching the history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, June 3, 2011

3. "But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies." --Sarah Palin, after being asked how she would handle the current hostilities between the two Koreas, interview on Glenn Beck's radio show, Nov. 24, 2010

4. "Especially within hours of a tragedy unfolding, journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible." --Sarah Palin, defending her fiery campaign rhetoric in the wake of the Arizona shooting massacre by invoking a phrase ("blood libel") that typically refers historically to the alleged murder of Christian babies by Jews, Jan. 12, 2011

5. "We used to hustle over the border for health care we received in Canada. And I think now, isn't that ironic?" --Sarah Palin, admitting that her family used to get treatment in Canada's single-payer health care system, despite having demonized such government-run programs as socialized medicine that will lead to death-panel-like rationing, March 6, 2010

6. "Ohh, good, thank you, yes." --Sarah Palin, after a notorious Canadian prank caller complimented her on the documentary about her life, Hustler's "Nailin Paylin," Nov. 1, 2008 (Read more about the prank call, watch the video and see the transcript)

Go to the link if you'd actually like to see any of those clips. http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palin-top-10.htm

. Oh yeah, can't wait to get that kind of intellect behind the helm of this nation. .

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

Reloading all your old stuff? Ooooweee, shall I bring out all the Obama/Biden goofs? Theirs are worse as they even think there are 57 states and that FDR had a fireside chat on tv.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

see-

You seem to have mistaken my complete and utter lack of respect for Palin as a vote of confidence for someone else. Truly, there is absolutely no correlation between the two. She would still be at this same level of "intelligence" regardless of who else occupied ANY office.

To boot, why don't you tell me where I've posted that information before? And even if I have posted that before, does it not bear repeating? I mean, "North Korean Allies"?!?!?! Really? C'mon see, you're better than that.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

One of my favorite Palin quotes: (In 2004, Palin told the Anchorage Daily News that she had decided not to run for the U.S. Senate that year against the Republican incumbent Lisa Murkowski because her teenage son opposed it.) Palin said, "How could I be the team mom if I was a U.S. Senator?" (from wikipedia) Politics aside, I do not like her personally. Even most of the die-hard Republicans I know think she has a screw loose.

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

Uh oh. The Forum Police ... Relax, yvb. We just took a little side trip, lol. Was there something you wanted to say? We're listening. :-)

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

The Palin haters have no other weapons since they already scanned 24,000 emails to no avail so the only fallback is misquoting her. The N. Korean deal was immediately cleared up by her when she corrected herself. Slip of the tongue, woohoo. Palin had an 80% approval rating as Governor before McCain named her to the ticket and the George Soros funded media sent 100's of ambulance chasers up to Alaska to try and disembowel her, FAILURE! So the left wing kooks are all confused believing that Tina Fey is actually Sarah Palin. MMJ, You voted for Obama so please don't blow pot smoke up my...... And Phoebe, poor thing, you have to find your Palin quotes in Wikileaks which is quoting the LA Times, a usual left wing rag, these are the tactics that the left have used to try and confuse weak minded voters. Anyone who votes for Obama in 2012 with the record that he now has is a confirmed___ take your pick of adjective. Palin2012 Undefeated and ready to restore the Republic.

trump_suit 3 years, 5 months ago

Palin = Private Citizen in 2013 She's not even running. Good luck with your vote See. If she does run and wins the nomination, it will be an Obama 2nd term.. If the Republicans really want to make Obama a one term President, they will need to nominate someone qualified.

rhys jones 3 years, 5 months ago

What does Ms Information have to say about the Weed War? Any new words for us? Just trying to rope 'er back on topic... ;)

Phoebe Hackman 3 years, 5 months ago

Seeuski - I remembered Palin making that comment when she said, but, yes I did lift the quote from Wikipedia. That's why I credited it. No different than posting a link. And I do like to reference my statements when I can, since people are so quick to jump in one's s*** around here. You'd be surprised how many people just cut and paste statements and present them as their own on these forums ... Regardless of the source, she said it; I thought it was funny then and I still do. You don't need to feel sorry for me; just trying to be accurate is all ...

Highway - Nice segue :-) This is the most recent info I could find on Palin and pot. Anybody else know of anything more recent? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20008091-503544.html

rhys jones 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Phoebe!! For once I deigned click on a link posted here, and was mildly entertained. She's every bit the airhead we fear. I did not have time to wait 'til her pot comments, well-considered though I'm sure those are. Later. I'm just up for a breather from some heavy numbers, unfortunately not the smokeable type. If she's inhaled, she's got to know, and any waffling is for the benefit of her conservative audience. She'll jump on any boat that floats through town, and the next one goes back to Alaska. Her opinion on these matters is a non-factor, as is she. As trump points out, if the elephants want Obama for a second term, they'll run this horse.

Now back to the real world, somewhere in cyberspace... Thanks again, Phoebe!!

seeuski 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the link Phoebe, I am more convinced by this year old interview that Sarah Palin will run and will win and will succeed in bringing this Country back to prosperity. And I was a bit aggressive with the poor thing comment I agree, but as you can tell I am aggressive in my support for Palin and when that comment, which I never heard of before, is used to insinuate that Sarah asks her child if she should run for Senate without knowing the full context of the conversation I feel moved to respond. Seems to me that Sarah's enemies must create controversy where there is none because they fear her, as is evidenced by highway.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

One last little side track off topic....

see-

How on earth did you come up with the fantasy that I voted for our current president? Never in my wildest dreams would I have even given that any real consideration. Your belligerent and naively aggressive support of that woman isn't going to gain a thing for either of you.

Secondly, who of us was misquoting her? I'm pretty sure those were all real quotes from her.

mmjPatient22 3 years, 5 months ago

....and your only come-back to those Palin quotes is to falsely accuse me of voting for Obama and then make some weak-a$$ plug at my use of cannabis?

You must not have taken debate in school, huh?

bandmama 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh my... I really do try hard not to comment, Just because I have "the right" to voice an opinion, it is not always the best choice. BUT sometimes the temptation gets the best of me! LOL!!! So... Palin??? The same self said STRONG woman who campared herself (and insulted SOOO many females and fairer personalities of all races) to a DOG in lipstick? A person in power?... who didn't even try to smush-by not knowing where her state's borders were in relation to A MAJOR freaking political land mass? Someone who preaches openly, family values while someones said child is dancing a way into reality TV-land and getting (through the...child born out of wedlock) book ect gigs? Umm.... I sort of think it is time to do away with Dems/Reps. How about someone who doesn't give a rats behind about formality stand up and do what needs to be done??? Oh darn. Kermit the Frog hasn't been the same since that horrible "MS. Piggy" incident and Zappa is dead. that may leave?........

rhys jones 3 years, 5 months ago

see -- None of the puppets we could elect scare me -- they are figureheads, tokens. Spokespeople for the real power in this country, the Federal Reserve. It matters not who occupies the Oval Office, same stuf'll happen. We'll bomb somebody.

I'm jaded; I don't care who wins. I just don't think that airhead has the smarts to pull it off, her tongue is her worst enemy, and if this country buys her line, that just reinforces my doubt about our future in general.

rhys jones 3 years, 5 months ago

PS -- Do not take my comments regarding Ms Palin extend to anything she represents, the Tea Party movement or anything else, about which I am generally ignorant. I am only referring to the messenger the elephants are apparently grooming to carry their plea, in an attempt to snag a healthy portion of the female vote too. She's just too stupid for the role.