William S. Schurman: GOP shows no compassion in breakfast fund for poor children

— Aren’t the Republicans something? What happened to the “compassionate” Republicans that “W” spoke of? In Friday’s Denver Post there were two articles referencing two matters in the Colorado House of Representatives. In one vote, the Republicans in the Joint Budget Committee voted not to fund $124,229 to continue the breakfast fund for poor kids for the remainder of the 2010-11 school year. That vote reflected the true Republican “compassion” by Sen. Kent Lambert (R-Colorado Springs). “As a family guy myself with children and grandchildren, I take a very strong responsibility to earn money to feed my own family,” he was quoted as saying. In other words, these freeloaders should get off the couch, get a job and make money to feed their kids. Good point Kent, Sarah would approve. In the second matter, the Republicans are unlikely to take up a civility pledge similar to one passed by the House since 2005. Frankly, this should not surprise anyone.

William S. Schurman

Steamboat Springs

Comments

gas4765 3 years, 2 months ago

I is sad when the greed of the rich show no compasion. Seems that the fiscal conservitives are only concerned when about the deficit when they are out of power or when they are not included in tax cuts.

Troutguy 3 years, 2 months ago

Just shows how out of touch our elected leaders like Rep. Lambert can be. They live in an alternate universe from the rest of us. Maybe if they skipped a lobbyist sponsored fundraiser once in a while and got out and saw what is really going on around them, they would think a little differently. I know, I know. Ain't gonna happen, but one can dream, right?

Fred Duckels 3 years, 2 months ago

This is the tried and reliable tactic of the well meaning left, the "guilt trip". LBJ championed the war on poverty. It sounded good but the unintended consequences have left us in a dependency mode that we will probably never escape. Personal responsibility is often hard to accept, but I think that wisdom is on my side. I think that I am a caring person but immediate results are not often the best long term solution. Those who climb the hill have something that no amount of assistance will ever provide. Thinking this way will eventually evolve to a more sustainable society.

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." Frederic Bastiat

"Man can live and satisfy his wants only by ceaseless labor; by the ceaseless application of his faculties to natural resources. This is the origin of property.

But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This is the origin of plunder." F Bastiat

"The purpose of the LAW is to use the power of its collective force to stop this fatal tendency to plunder instead of work. All the measures of the law should protect property and punish plunder." F Bastiat

How is it that asking people to buy their own food, heat their own home, pay for their own medicine, do their own work is somehow uncompassionate? Is it compassionate to ask another man to buy HIS own food, heat HIS own home, pay for HIS own medicine and then to pay for that of anothers as well?

If I steal your car and give it to someone who does not own a car is that compassion?

Giving away OPM (other peoples money) is not compassion.

Troutguy 3 years, 2 months ago

And helping feed hungry kids now will not evolve into a more sustainable society in the future? Gotta love the 'I got mine, screw the rest of you' mentallity. I think alot of these families would 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps' if they could afford bootstraps, Fred. It's not about a guilt trip. It's about doing the right thing by these people, helping out when we can. How is it the the Right is so hot on God, Jesus, and religion, yet they kick those who are down on their luck.

Rick Akin 3 years, 2 months ago

Bill's concern for the children is admirable. What he should do is organize a fund to pay for this program. He, and others that wish to, can contribute to this fund so that it does not have to rely on the cash-strapped state for funding. I will be glad to help Bill make arrangements to contribute the funds he raises to the state.

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

Nobody's kickin anybody Trout. Give all the money you wish to whomever you wish. Just don't put a gun to my head, take my money, give it to the person of your chosing and then try to take credit for being the "compassionate" one among us. It ain't gonna fly.

runnerbikerdriver44 3 years, 2 months ago

Trout-i'm right there with you. Why are we punishing kids for the mistakes parents make? It is not the children's fault that they can't afford breakfast. This whole program was rolled out because of the fact that teachers saw students suffering as a result of not having a proper breakfast. I think everyone needs to spend time in schools with 85%+ free or reduced lunch. Listen to the stories the kids offer, and then make your judgement call. How is a child supposed to fend for themselves when their parents can't? Talk to the teachers in the schools, and listen to how hard children from less fortunate families fight for their education. Maybe read "Savage Inequalities" and open your eyes to the all to common travisty of the public school system. Just take the time to think about where these children are from, and how amazing it is that they get up every morning and make it to school before you start encouraging the cutting of this system.

I would much rather be paying in to a program like that, where you can see people thriving, than paying in to social security-a program I will personally never see the benefit from.

boater1 3 years, 2 months ago

"How is it the the Right is so hot on God, Jesus, and religion, yet they kick those who are down on their luck."

because the right somehow miss jesus' fundemental message of helping those less fortunate than you. most church going repubs. are complete hipocrits. maybe they go to church to pray for their own lost souls.

boater1 3 years, 2 months ago

to all the posters defending Schurman.

does the concept of investing in the future have any meaning to your shortsited brains? well feed kids perform better in school and are our future. would you rather them be dumber and rely even more on the gov. down the road? sounds that way because you and your families are feed and so screw the peasants. this program is a hand up not a hand out.

hereandthere 3 years, 2 months ago

Boater1, I think you mean all the posters slamming Schurman, but you are correct that these types really do not have a clue. Spend money on helping kids improve there lot? God forbid, we have wars that we have to pay for. Talk about putting a gun to our head and taking our money.

Fred Duckels 3 years, 2 months ago

Evidently mother nature hasn't a clue about the wisdom of micromanaging. think of the improvements that could be made if liberals ran the universe.

Rick Akin 3 years, 2 months ago

Well Fred, apparently my Bible is not up to date. Mine talks about giving to the poor, but it does not say anything about levying taxes on others and giving their money to the poor. We have been doing this the hard way by personally making charitable contributions. I am glad these folks have pointed this out. Giving other people's money is going to be a lot easier.

thalgard 3 years, 2 months ago

Phred...maybe we could spend more taxpayer dollars on another "road to nowhere", instead of feeding hungry kids!

MrTaiChi 3 years, 2 months ago

President Obama, after the Congressional mid-term results were posted commented that the two parties reflect genuine philosophical differences in governance.

The mantra of Nancy Pelosi and her supporters in the last two years was that the GOP is the party of "No."

In viewing the twentieth century and the first decade of the twenty-first it could be fairly said that the Democratic party is "the party that can't say, 'No'."

It is desired that every social shortcoming be overcome in a civilization, but at what cost, and at who's cost, when we can't find unanimity that every need is equally valid?

The "road to nowhere" was commonly used to describe a highway that Democrat Senator Byrd had built with federal highway funds in West Virginia as Pork. I think the above commentator intended to skewer the GOP by reference to the Alaskan, "bridge to nowhere", a bit of Republican Pork, promoted by Senator Stevens. This forks both the GOP and Governor Palin, who, like all politicians doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If federal and state budgets are going to be brought under control, people with levels of entitlelment expectations are going to have them cut back and, in many cases it will hurt. This specific example is a good emotional club to use against those finally trying to be fiscally responsible. There will be other matters that tear at the heartstrings. 'Guns vs. butter' had been a recurrent philosophical dilemma for the republic up until the Johnson administration and since, when politicians told us we could have both. We pretended to believe them, knowing that it wasn't true, but the fantasy can't be maintained any more.

Most of this generation of governing adults didn't have subsidized breakfast programs when they attended school. Maybe that's the problem.

jeannie berger 3 years, 2 months ago

It is my understanding that the money is already in the state budget and is allocated to the reduced price meals for the kids that qualify. The issue was in releasing the money so that the program would not run out of funding before the end of the school year. The republicans decided to hold up the release of the money until they had a better understanding of what it paid for. Good idea? Bad idea? Until all of the facts are known it is hard to make that judgment.

blue_spruce 3 years, 2 months ago

fred fred fred

you are a piece of work my friend

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

"...haven't a clue." "...practicing cruelty." "...piece of work." "...shortsighted brains." "...go to church to pray for their own lost souls." "...kick those who are down on their luck."

These are the "compassionate" and "understanding" and "love-filled" words of the "compassionate" among us... if you call taking OPM (other peoples money) at gunpoint and giving it to THEIR mascots compassionate.

Not one of them can answer the basic question here... How is it that asking one person to provide for their own self is "un-compassionate" while asking another to provide for themselves AND that other person is o.k.??????????????

Don't answer my question. Just call me some name and then excuse yourself from explaining your ill-logic on the grounds that you should not have to "stoop" to defend your position to "shortsighted, no clue having, lost soul praying, pieces of work."

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

I'll bet between the lot of you your average charitable contributions are a small FRACTION of the "lost soul praying" crowd.

JustSomeJoe 3 years, 2 months ago

Sled - who's got a gun to your head? You have a couple choices for paying taxes. You can pay them, avoid them or you can move out of the country and change citizenship. Everyone in the US pays taxes, but unfortunately only our elected representatives and the president decide where the money is going.

I'm more than happy to have my taxes go to meals for children in need during the school day. I imagine the margin for fraud and misuse is very small. Children don't choose their parents and certainly children who go to school hungry aren't asking for a handout.

I often feel the same way you do about where my taxes go, except I get pissed off when my tax dollars are spent waging wars in far off countries, giving the richest Americans more tax breaks and subsidizing the profits of big energy and big ag. Whining about a program that provides food in school to underprivileged kids is why you are rightly labeled. You'd rather give away my money to the rich and your caricature of someone with a gun to your head, stealing your money to give to someone else is a ridiculous exaggeration. I'll give my money to a needy child every time. Still looking for the government to build you a bigger parking lot in the forest so it's easier to park your snowmobile trailer?

sledneck 3 years, 2 months ago

Justsomejoe, I knew someone would "bite" on the gun to my head thing. Government has a gun to my head... and to yours! Government is force. If you do not comply with the rules to give some of your money to big ag or big oil then people with guns will eventually show up at your house... no?

You are, and have always been, free to "give your money to a needy child". You should not, however, be free to take mine and do likewise.

You should not try to obfuscate the issue by implying that I do not want you to give food to kids. What I want is only that the rightful owner of property give it as they see fit to whomever THEY choose. Kids are obviously a better choice than big oil but the choice should be mine or yours... not governments'.

You are, of course, totally WRONG in stating that "everyone in the US pays taxes". Would to God that were so. And therin lies a large part of the problem... more people voting on how to spend hard won fortunes than those EARNING those fortunes. (or "too many chiefs and not enough indians")

And you are way off in saying that I would "rather give your money to the rich..." Nothing could be farther from the truth. I want YOU to do what you will with your money... it is yours, after all.

stillinsteamboat 3 years, 2 months ago

As a child being raised by a single parent with sparce finances. My siblings and I went to school most days on an empty stomach. How wonderful it would have been if someone had provided us with a hot meal every morning. I can think of more wasteful government programs than the one that feeds children.