Ski Corp. investigating snowmobile incident

— The Steamboat Ski and Resort Corp. is investigating an incident in which a ski patroller lost control of a snowmobile Saturday afternoon. The snowmobile traveled about 100 yards without an operator before it came to a stop on the Concentration trail, Ski Corp. spokesman Mike Lane said.

The Ski Patrol member was heading down the Vagabond trail when he veered too far left of the trail toward Concentration, Lane said. He said the snowmobile started to get away from the patroller, who jumped off the machine. The snowmobile came to rest above the Tower 3 Road catwalk on Concentration, Lane said. He said no one was hurt, including the Ski Patrol member.

Lane couldn’t say whether there would be disciplinary action.

“We’ll be investigating it and we’ll see where we go from there,” he said.

Comments

insbsdeep 3 years, 3 months ago

I think it went a little more that 100 yards. How far is it to Betwixt?

groomin 3 years, 3 months ago

why cant they get it right? The sled went all the way down concentration. The thunder head lift had one hell of a show.

tulip 3 years, 3 months ago

sounds like ski patrol should be getting trained better on their snowmobiles instead of pulling over skiers and boarders for going "to fast".hahaha BITCH ASS FAST IF YOU WILL!!! I didnt notice those speed detectors. who jumps off a sled going down a groomed run anyway, im glad my saftey is in those hands.

papafu 3 years, 3 months ago

Had a similar situation happen to me many years ago when I was taking a snowmobile down a groomed cat track. The brakes failed as I rounded a sharp curve and the machine threw me off and headed into some trees. I have always wondered why they don't have a fail safe mechanism like they have on water sleds that when the rider falls off the machine loses power.

housepoor 3 years, 3 months ago

Did Ski Corp really say the sled traveled 100 yards and stopped on Tower 3 Road catwalk? As I'm sure the 40-60 eye witnesses riding the thunderhead lift will disagree. There must be some miscommunication between the reporter and Lane. The patrolleroperator was up on Tower 3 Catwalk, the sled finally came to halt about 75-100 yards above betwixt. The sled was barreling down concentration and the only thing that stopped it is that it started flipping and finally crashed hard upside down leaving a trail of debris. It was not a minor incident, the sled was moving at speeds where it was catching up to unaware skiers causing everyone on the lift to yell and scream down trying to warn them. If the sled had reached betwixt it would have been very ugly, there were dozens of skiers and several ski school groups on and below the betwixt cat track.

mtntrekker 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the snowmobile was made in the same factory as the Toyota Prius and the throttle stuck. (HaHa)

Cooke 3 years, 3 months ago

@ tulip “who jumps off a sled going down a groomed run anyway, im glad my saftey {sic} is in those hands.” This is the same patrol which was on scene with an AED within minutes to restart a woman’s heart and save her life at the top of South Peak a few weeks ago. This is the same patrol which pulled an unconscious man out of a tree well in the middle of the woods and revived him. I, for one, am very glad that my “safety” is in their hands. Someone obviously screwed up; luckily no one was injured. I’m sure patrol will take any necessary moves. But to demonize ski patrol because of an accident is ridiculous.