Members of the Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue put out a chimney fire at 1935 Steamboat Boulevard.

Photo by John F. Russell

Members of the Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue put out a chimney fire at 1935 Steamboat Boulevard.

Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue contains blaze on Steamboat Boulevard

Advertisement

— A chimney fire in a duplex on Steamboat Boulevard was quickly contained by firefighters Tuesday morning. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue emergency responders were called at 9:56 a.m. to a report of a chimney fire at 1935 Steamboat Boulevard. The call from Routt County dispatch indicated a man and dog still were inside the residence.

Fire Rescue Chief Ron Lindroth said creosote, an oily wood preservative, caught fire and spread to the chimney chase where it was contained. He said the man and dog on the ground floor evacuated the building safely. There was no smoke or fire damage to the first- or second-floor duplex units.

Crews, including two engines, a truck, ambulance and 15 emergency responders were on scene four minutes after the call, Lindroth said.

He said anyone heating their home with wood-burning fuels should have their chimneys inspected and cleaned at least once a year because creosote, which is highly flammable, can build up.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.