Embezzlement case involving Steamboat business is continued until March 9

— The case against Kayla Dawn Barker, the woman who police say stole nearly $70,000 from her employer, has been continued until 8:30 a.m. March 9.

Barker is living in Missouri and was represented in Routt County Court on Wednesday before Routt County Judge James Garrecht by Steamboat Springs lawyer Drew Johnroe. Johnroe said he has been discussing the case with 14th Judi­cial District Deputy District Attorney Rusty Prindle, but there have not been any plea deals offered.

Police originally said Bar­ker forged checks to take money from her former Steam­boat employer, Aspen Grove Plumb­ing and Heating.

Johnroe said it is now clear Barker did not forge the checks in question. Johnroe said there are affidavits to prove the checks were signed by Aspen Grove owner Kevin Deshazer.

“We do know there is no forgery involved,” Johnroe said. “There are other issues that do exist.”

Comments

ftpheide 3 years, 7 months ago

It appears the DA's office has made another mistake. This young woman was arrested for forging checks and now it's been determined that their was "no forgery involved" Elizabeth Oldham should dismiss the charges. Quit draining the financial resources of a citizen that suffers from MD and has a small child to raise!

hereandthere 3 years, 7 months ago

Although it may not fit with your negative law enforcement stance,re-reading will show you that it is her lawyer who said there was no forgery involved.

ftpheide 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't need to re-read the article. You'll note the attorney is Drew Johnroe. He doesn't comment unless what he states has been proven. He is a professional.

tcb 3 years, 7 months ago

Drew Johnroe not commenting unless it's proven? What? THIS is what defense attorney's do. I would be a bit more worried if he stepped forward and said, "Yes, my client forged the checks and many, many more." I'm guessing there was enough reason to get a warrant signed by a judge to believe that this lady forged the checks. Drew Johnroe(in my opinion)commented on the case to the paper because it gave him a reason for charge the client another $300.

ftpheide 3 years, 7 months ago

tcb, Drew rarely comments to the media. Twice that I know of . Both times his facts were proven before he spoke. The judge, that signs a warrant for an arrest, depends on the DA's office to have done a thorough investigation of the evidence before the warrant is placed before him.
If a newspaper reporter waits outside the court room to ask an attorney a few basic questions. There isn't any charge to the attorney's client.

hereandthere 3 years, 7 months ago

Pretty funny reponse to my comment. I am sure that Mr. Johnroe is a professional, and seems to be doing what he is paid for. But point being, he is an advocate for the defendant, and his statement should be taken with that fact in mind. Ms. Barr, I find your continual denigration of our law enforcement community tedious. I believe on the whole they are hard working professionals, doing a neccesary, and as demonstrated by your diatribes, thankless job. So I feel compelled to call you out on your comment. Not making a judgement on the merits of the case itself, but we should at least let the case play out before we make such spurious claims.

ftpheide 3 years, 7 months ago

hereandthere(anonymous) I'm glad we both agree that Mr. Johnroe is a professional. This young lady was accused of forging checks while working as a bookkeeper. Her attorney has "affidavits" proving the accusations against her are unfounded. Your comment, attacking my character, is also unfounded.

exduffer 3 years, 7 months ago

Why don't you two meet for a nice quiet drink somewhere(else)

kathy foos 3 years, 7 months ago

ftpheide:Let the law do its job.Burning money is also a crime you know.If its an accident ,thats one thing..but to burn it and records also is not right.Im sure Mr. Johnroe is a fine attorney and we can take his word for what its worth,but you dont claim innocence for someone when clearly you dont know all the facts.Very presumptious on your part.

oldskoolstmbt 3 years, 6 months ago

the checks were signed by the owner...this dismisses her from FORGERY. the 'other issues that do exist' is probably embezzlement, theft..ect....i'm starting to think there is something in the water around here.

OYvey 3 years, 6 months ago

Maybe it's a good time to find another place to live! It's just a matter of time before it happens to me at my business! Yikes!