County commissioner injured in crash

Nancy Stahoviak hospitalized with broken bones, county manager says

photo

Nancy Stahoviak

— Routt County Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak suffered broken bones in a car wreck on Colorado Highway 131 on Tuesday morning.

Routt County Undersheriff Ray Birch said Deputy Ryan Adrian was driving in front of the van Tuesday morning when it crashed at about 6:30 a.m. Stahoviak’s husband, Ron, was driving when the van went into a slide, Birch said. The crash occurred at mile marker 63, about four miles south of Routt County Road 14.

“It was a van northbound on 131, ended up sort of going out of control and ended up on the west side of the highway on its side, so it sort of semi-rolled,” Birch said.

There were three people in the van, and all were removed, Birch said. The third was Stahoviak’s daughter-in-law, Sullivan said. Nancy Sta­hoviak was the only one who was injured, he said. She was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center and remained there Tues­day.

County employee Dolores Rode spoke with Stahoviak on Tuesday morning and said her spirits were good. The county said concerned people were welcome to post messages on Routt County’s Facebook page. Those interested in doing so can search “Routt County Colorado” on Facebook.com.

Birch said Colorado State Patrol troopers responded to the crash and handled the scene. That agency issued a summons to Ron Stahoviak for careless driving causing injury, trooper Adam Winsett said.

He advised drivers to be careful in wintry road conditions.

“When the roads are snowy and slick, you just need to slow down,” Winsett said.

Comments

Harvey Lyon 3 years, 2 months ago

So you go off the road, you bust up your car, your wife and scare the bejesus out of your daughter in law AND YOU GET A TICKET?

I really wish CSP would just go away. Who funds these guys anyway....oh yeah...we do.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 2 months ago

Of course, the driver gets a ticket. Unsafe driving seems indisputable.

What are the alternatives? Unsafe driving crash when no one gets hurt is a ticket, but not when someone gets hurt?

It is only a ticket, but it does determine who was liable so now it is simpler for the insurance company to process the claim.

Harvey Lyon 3 years, 2 months ago

Come on Wedel, ya rolled your own car, you injured your own family, and now CSP wants to pile it on?

How does "act of nature" sound to you, a friggin patch of ice. Sometimes S**T happens and CSP is there to collect for the State!

The alternative is help them, call a tow truck, and fill out the reports. The same thing we pay them for.

I'd truly rather we didn't have a CSP in NW Colorado. They've been nothing but a pain for me in my years here. But in the interest of balance, I'd love to hear when they did something good for someone.

I recently drove from SS to Vernal, saw two cars and 5 CSP, all speed traps. Hows that figure for "protect and serve"?

Zed 3 years, 2 months ago

stirrinuptrouble - Would you want a ticket issued if he had hit your or someone else's car head on in this same scenario because he was driving too fast? Would you agree that a large percentage of the winter car accidents in Routt County have nothing to do with acts of nature and everything to do with drivers operating unsafely? I am glad CSP is enforcing laws that state you can't operate your car like a "friggin" idiot when it is snowing and icy.

Watch drivers run red lights on US40, watch drivers pass in white out snow on the way to Hayden, watch them spin out on icy turns in town... Maybe it is an act of human nature to be reckless in our cars(myself included).

Zed 3 years, 2 months ago

One tragic crash scenario that always pains me - What if you kill your passenger (friend, family or otherwise) due to reckless driving? Are manslaughter charges just piling it on? Seems we need CSP and the law to be the judge of who is responsible.

Harvey Lyon 3 years, 2 months ago

Hits someone...different story. Hazards someone....different story. Hits a patch of ice or a wind row left by a plow, goes in a ditch......its easy to have 20/20 hind sight.

Harvey Lyon 3 years, 2 months ago

Zed, you'e obviously new to the County. You too will put it in a ditch some time, maybe no one will get hurt, maybe they will. I'd like to hear your comments then when you get a $200 ticket and "points".

kyle pietras 3 years, 2 months ago

Nancy get well soon! Zed hit the nail on the head, too many people are in a hurry in this town, why? YOUR IN STEAMBOAT CHILL!

Scott Wedel 3 years, 2 months ago

I think if I crashed my vehicle and caused injuries that a ticket for unsafe conditions would be the least of my concerns. That the accident happened in sight of a CSP would seem to eliminate much of an excuse.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 2 months ago

Zed is correct, on a variety of basis, both legal and common sense.

Kevin Nerney 3 years, 2 months ago

Routt County Undersheriff Ray Birch said Deputy Ryan Adrian was driving in front of the van Tuesday morning when it crashed at about 6:30 a.m. I've read this three times to make sure I understand it. Sounds to me like Ron was "keeping up with traffic". If they are going to issue a summons to anyone why not give one to the deputy for "speed in excess of conditions". Apparently one is a much better driver than the other. There is a reason it is called an "Accident" and not an "on purpose".

challange1 3 years, 2 months ago

That van has passed me numerous times on 131 like I was standing still. No matter what the weather conditions were. It was only a matter of time before this was to happen!! I think the ticket was a good thing!! I did not realize who exactly it was until now. WOW!! I am just glad he didn't take out another car with him.

doubleottseven 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope Nancy mends quickly, she is probably in alot of pain as her husband is profoundly sorry this happen.

So, for all you bloggers that use their accident as another soapbox for your "anti-law" and "I am right you are wrong" platfrom is just disgusting. Why don't you just write a column for God's sake.

Heal quickly Nancy.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 2 months ago

Kevin, A van is hardly the same sort of all terrain vehicle as the deputy's vehicle.

Also, isn't this the same driver that County Commissioner Stahoviak said could not drive the county road in Strawberry Park without crossing over the bike lane markings? So, she has previously stated this driver has issues handling this van.

Zed 3 years, 2 months ago

Stirrin - Crashing your car is not inevitable if you operate it reasonably. I am absolutely guilty of driving dumb, distracted, etc. Every speeding ticket I have received in the past was fair game and I absolutely started driving slower after it. Having friends and family involved in horrible accidents is probably the number one reason I put away my phone in the car, make sure my windshields are clear of snow, drive at a reasonable speed.

Driving fast seems less important when you consider 1) the time you will lose in a crash or getting pulled over 2)the potential loss of gas mileage 3)How little difference it actually makes in your trip time. 4)The danger you put other drivers, cyclists, peds, animals in.

You ever get passed by someone on a double yellow and then see them pull into the McDonalds drive thru? What's up with that?

ftpheide 3 years, 2 months ago

challange1, Your eye-witness account verified the State Patrol's action. Ron Stahoviak drove carelessly and caused injury. The CSP was correct. Ron is responsible. He was given a ticket !

ftpheide 3 years, 2 months ago

doubleottseven, The person responsible for this accident should be the recipient of your criticism not the bloggers!

chickadee 3 years, 2 months ago

Yup, this is the exact same driver who previously brought publicity upon himself for his (lack of) van handling capability. Didn't he use political connections to get those lanes painted?

ftpheide 3 years, 2 months ago

stirrinuptrouble- The CSP is an asset in NW Colorado. It's a shame you have had so many problems with them. It's also very unusual! The CSP is not bound by politics as we saw in Wall's DUI and a ticket given to a county commissioner's husband.

Zed 3 years, 2 months ago

"Didn't he use political connections to get those lanes painted?"

Ha! The painted white lines on the way to Strawberry Park , I forgot about how they made him feel unsafe. I guess when you are speeding you need more room to swerve.

chickadee 3 years, 2 months ago

And do not forget this gem: CR 36 becomes Taylor Way!

I do not think that any white lines make that guy feel as unsafe as I do when I am on my bike or running with my dog and I see that big van careening in my direction. I think that the Van is tagged as a handicap vehicle. Probably because it is at risk to disable a bystander and further disable its passengers.

Scott Wedel 3 years, 2 months ago

Chickadee, Sort of cheesy to throw a shout out for the post that you just did.

Anyway, hoping CC Stahoviak is doing well. She seems pretty tough, able to lose bits and pieces of limbs while continuing to serve as CC.