Sam Jones: Teachers deserve raise

Praise to the Steamboat Springs School Board for its recent decision to increase teacher salaries by 2 percent. Of course, it was a difficult decision to make considering the financial constraints of the past four years. Our state’s financial shortfalls are no secret, nor will our economic problems be easily solved.

Just last month, Gov. John Hickenlooper recommended cuts to K-12 education for next year that would equate to a shortfall per student of $425. Proposition 103 was pushed by the state in the November election to cover expected shortfalls in education funding. Proposition 103 failed.

But with the recent uptick in state tax revenues, it was suggested that these funds are no longer needed? Let’s be clear that one uptick in state revenue, especially during the holiday spending season, does not make a trend. Revenues aside, our schools also are experiencing rising expenses that are not variable, like last year’s 18 percent increase in health care costs, a 6 percent increase in PERA and rising utility costs.

Regardless of the current economic realities, if I were on the Steamboat School Board, I would have done exactly the same thing. What a great opportunity to use this feel-good moment to increase the pay of one of our most undervalued assets, our educators. Two percent was too little in my opinion. Today we ask more from our teachers than in the past. Our class sizes are on the rise with increased enrollment while the number of teachers and classrooms remains static. We also are putting more pressure on our teachers to add new skill sets to our educational standards, requiring additional training and time on their part. For instance, teachers are required to attend 45 (voluntary) hours of technology training to “get” a Smart Board in their classrooms.

They should be paid more because they are doing a lot more. In the private sector, a 2 percent increase in salary is not even considered a cost-of-living adjustment and would be considered an underperformance increase. In fact, the Social Security Administration just announced a 3.6 percent cost-of-living adjustment for 2012. Increasing pay to our educators is an investment in our community, and the School Board did the right thing regardless of our current financial pinch. Good schools equals good economics, and we certainly need both.

Sam Jones

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Michael Loomis 2 years, 10 months ago

What you fail to recognize, or may not realize, is that the 2% is on top of the standard "step raise" teachers and support staff automatically receive for another year of working for the District. This 2% raise is not a one-time event, it happens every time there is an increase in enrollment and the resulting increase in revenue from the state to the District. This money traditionally gets passed on to teachers and staff as a salary increase, and again, this is on top of the "step pay", an automatic, annual raise. The Pilot editorial points out that maybe this year, after pleading a case to voters that we are underfunded and should increase taxes for education, the Board of Education should have considered other options for use of the extra funds, rather than raise base salaries and create a new $90,000+ administrative position. It is a good point which you do not address.

Matt Helm 2 years, 10 months ago

I heard that they were not getting step increases this year.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

I knew a jailer, should've been a teacher, and when I told her so, she said "I WAS a teacher, but I couldn't make a living" and I think there's something warped about that.

Sam Jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Palm Way,
Thanks for bringing up the Step Up compensation issue. It is somewhat relevant and should be part of the discussion.

My understanding is that step up raises are neither automatic, standard nor annual as you suggested. Step ups are conditionally a function of years served in the district with pay caps at a certain level. Several of my teacher friends have been on pay freezes now for the last 2 years (or three) contrary to the Pilot editorial. Beyond that, in 2014 the new performance based compensation program is scheduled to go into effect which will make teacher compensation even more subject to criticism and debate. Step up raises are not an across the board compensation issue - again as far as I understand.

Regarding what we "should" do with perceived extra funds in the alternative, I would ask a simple question. What is the MOST important variable in the performance of our schools with the objective of high quality education for our kids? Your answer is hopefully the same as mine - Teachers and staff. Without proper compensation, we will lose the greatest asset to our schools. They will leave Steamboat and go to other school districts that offer higher compensation or leave teaching all together. Flatly, we need more money to run our public schools - for teachers, for programming, for all of it. But any good business person would never cut the bread and butter of their business nor treat is as an unworthy expense.

Thanks for your input either way

Sam Jones

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

The Most important variable in the performance of our schools is the internal motivation of the students. The second Most important variable in the performance of our schools is how much the parents value education and how well they pass those values on to their children. The third most important variable in the performance of our schools is the competency of our teachers. The fourth most important variable and way down the scale is the competency of the administrators. You can see that from the money wasted on continually bringing in overpaid superintendents. Thowing tax money at problems is always seen as the solution to the problem. As you may guess I am an old guy living on a mostly fixed income. Sam What is your job, business, profession? If you want a truly superior education for your children, send them to Christian Heritage school or one of the other fine private schools in the Steamboat area.

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

Rhys How did you know a jailer? Just curious? I used to work with a lot of jailers, but we were called corrections officers. You probably remember that from my previous posts. None of them ever told me they used to be teachers and I am pretty sure that we were paid less than teachers. Of course that was 19 years ago. Do you have any salary schedules that prove teachers are paid less than deputies in Steamboat? I would be interested in seeing them.

sledneck 2 years, 10 months ago

A "truly superior education". To get that one must look beyond government schools. That truth (and it is truth) says it all.

Why do people trust their kids to an entity that can't deliver mail, delivers guns to drug dealers, takes more money out of a gallon of gas than Exxon, more money from a pack of ciggarettes than Phillip Morris and pats down granny at the airport?

Todays illiteracy rates, historical ignorance, and sheepish belief that people exist to serve the state are not a result of an educational system that has failed. They are the result of a system that has succeded. There is no fixing the american education system. It works just as it was intended.

ybul 2 years, 10 months ago

--BTW, the recent raise for even our highly compensated teachers, after tax equates to roughly $55-$65/ month - roughly 1/2 of a tank of gas for an SUV.--

This brings up a great question, how much work do we do simply to pay for our technology?

One could argue that almost everyone deserves a raise to keep up with inflation, the hidden tax by bankers creating money from nothing to lend to people and corporations who print up stocks (essentially money). Both inflating the paper supply of money which chase after the same amount of hard wealth that exists in the world.

At some point in time the way money was spent and expectations changed. People used to spend 30% of their income on food, and the video game industry was not the most subsidized (which I found startling when I heard it within the last year on the news).

Maybe the whole educational system needs rethought and modeled after how it used to exist, with more widely dispersed schools with multi aged classrooms set up with the children helping to teach other children, which when you stop segregating children by age then they start to stop segregating on other factors (sports, race, income, etc.). In addition the young kids see the older kids working on more difficult work and they inspire one another to work harder to keep up with the Joneses (which is what the raises are all about ensuring that everyone is afforded the ability to live a decent life and similar to what we see others living like).

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

jlc, If you want the salary schedules for teachers and deputies look them up.
BTW, I know a jailer too. I don't refer to him as a corrections officer.

Sam Jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Anyone with children in the current public school system care to comment? I can imagine it would be pretty easy to find the issue objectionable without a stake in the game. Paying property taxes is not a stake in the game as those who have no children or those who still send their kids to private schools also have to pay taxes. Furthermore, CO property tax rates are some of the very lowest in the country. I am sympathetic to all on a fixed income now but you must remember that a strong school system leads directly to strong local economics which peripherally benefits all.

Jerry, do you have children? Strong internal motivation of the students? I think that's almost an oxymoron

ybul 2 years, 10 months ago

On education directly, I suggest you read up on John Taylor Gatto. He was named New York City Teacher of the Year in 1989, 1990, and 1991, and New York State Teacher of the Year in 1991.[4] In 1991, he wrote a letter announcing his retirement, titled I Quit, I Think, to the op-ed pages of the Wall Street Journal, saying that he no longer wished to "hurt kids to make a living."

On Raises - We are probably in a deflationary super cycle as described by Kondreatiev. The federal reserve is pushing on that string to stop it with a monetary supply increase of 22% annualized (inflationary) trying to combat the problems that arise with deflation.

If we are entering a deflationary cycle, then future revenues might decline and raises may need to be undone.

Up until the point of the federal reserves establishment, deflation was more typical within this country than the rising prices we see today. The raises for cost of living (inflation) increases are a direct result of increasing monetary and credit supplies. These are simply hidden taxes on the people of the United States, much like the taxes imposed by the Sheriff of Nottingham's boss on his commoners - which Robin Hood took back from the tax man and returned to the overburdened people. He did not steal from the rich and give to the poor - he took from a corrupt government and returned to the taxpayers that were poor because of government intervention to take what it saw fit to be used as it saw fit.

Sandra Sharp 2 years, 10 months ago

The problem in our education system has little to do with how much we pay our teachers. I am not saying teachers do or do not deserve more pay. Many people, in many fields deserve more money; however the market cannot at this time provide higher pay. When teachers decide to go into K-12 education, they know exactly what level of pay to expect, and they are getting that. What our teachers deserve is a more rigorous training program and a highly developed mentoring program.

hillclinger 2 years, 10 months ago

sledneck-give your bitterness a rest. It (and we) need a holiday break from ill placed anti establishment rhetoric. Perhaps consider that parents who do not value education wind up with children that cannot spell the word "cigarettes" properly, and then blame the schools, government, and gasoline taxes.

Teachers deserve to be well compensated for a formidable task-educating children whose parents often shirk their duties in taking part in the education of their offspring. Public education can and should be complemented by engaged parents. Remember, many of our country's best innovators are products of a public educational system (ex: Steve Jobs). This has nothing to do with TSA, sorry conspiracy theory. Merry Holidays. How about starting snowmobilers against global warming to take the edge off the holidays.

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

Spidermite If the jailer you know works in Routt County then he is a Deputy. If he worked in Yakima county, Washington he would be a Corrections Officer. Other places probably have different titles but jailer is a title from the 40's and earlier.

Sam My children are in their 40's. I do have 4 grandchildren in Illinois and I am happy to say their mother is homeschooling them. How can internal motivation be an oxymoron? Everyone values education differently. Economic status is a large determinant of valuing education. Consider the value placed on education in the privileged Yampa valley versus the value placed on education in the dirt poor valleys of Appalachia. You did not respond to my question of what is your job? profession? Business? Do you currently have children in the school system? I agree that Colorado property taxes are fairly low but mine increased from $1093.32 in 1999 to 2119.16 in 2010. If my calculator worked right that is a 93% increase in 11 years. I was not on fixed income until 2009 but my income certainly did not increase 93% in those years. Colorado and local sales taxes are right up there at the top. Government in general is maxing out what they can take from the working and retired people of this country.

sledneck 2 years, 10 months ago

Mr Jones, I found your initial statements somewhat incomplete and naive. Lacking was a mention of merit-based pay and of the gauntlet of teachers unions who vehemently oppose that, something most other professions accept as common sense.

In what ways, sir do we "ask more of our teachers today" ??? Does job performance include the product one turns out or is it enough merely to know how to skillfully operate the assembly line machinery? Proficient use of the machinery merits higher pay even if your assembly line consistently turns out junk??? If I can run an excavator like a master but can't dig a level foundation do you think a pay raise is in my future? If I fly airplanes quite well but can't find the airport will my company give me a raise?

Could it be that the additional continuing education requirements, something common to many professions and not linked to pay increases, comes from a need to stop turning out junk at the factory?

Perhaps if, after graduation kids knew how to make change at Burger King, or what a bi-cameral legislature was, or that there were not 59 states, then teachers would not be under deserved pressure to further upgrade their teaching skills, no?

But the evidence of your disconnection from reality did not become crystal clear to me until your last statement:"Property taxes is not a stake in the game..." At this point I am simply wondering what planet you are from?

I believe drivel such as this is the manifestation of "everybody gets a trophy" chickens comming home to roost in our now adult population. There is no greater "stake in the game" than when a man puts his money down. And the American people deserve FAR more from government schools than they get.

Anyone really wonder why America's jobs are moving off-shore??

sledneck 2 years, 10 months ago

Hillclinger, When you go to the doctor what does he/ she ask? Do they ask how many presents santa brought you, or how was that Hawaiian vacation, or if you are having a great ski season??? NO They ask "where does it HURT" or "whats WRONG". They want the BAD news. And if they find you have cancer do you want them to tell you or not?????

Getting to solutions (something Steve Jobs knew how to do) requires an examination of REALITY, not of feel-good fluff. And nobody under his leadership got raises for fluff. Perhaps that was why his company could not find properly educated workers in the USA and had to hire overseas. Sorry to bring you down with reality, just go back into your room and stare at all your trophies, that should spirit you back to your comfort zone, far, far from reality.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Here's a line you'll never hear: "Hurry honey, the sanitation engineer is just down the alley!!" A garbage man by any other name is still a garbage man.

Ditto a jailer.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Hwy, You gotta realize jlc is limited. He is proud that his family member is home schooling her four children. Is this family member qualified to educate children? Does she have a degree in education. If they live in a high crime area and she fears for their safety this maybe her only option. If this is the situation why doesn't she move?

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

spider -- All I was saying is, I think it's a sick society which devotes more of its attention and resources to crime and "corrections," than it does to education, which would go far to alleviate the former problems.

Jerry -- The jailers I knew worked about a mile downstream from here. One of the less savory sorts buried evidence which would have exonerated me. They run as wide a gamut as anybody.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Hwy., This is why evidence should not be stored at the Sheriffs office. It's kinda of a conflict of interest.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

This was a breath sample that disappeared. Hardly useful to anyone except me, and think how much they made off me as a result. Sanctioned thieves, is all they are.

Get educated, kids, so you can go to work for some big cushy company, you won't have to try to make it on your own, with whatever else that entails.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

rhys, If they lost the evidence why wasn't your case dismissed?

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

I submitted it after I initially refused, was returned to the holding cell, and the jailer subsequently denied any knowledge of this event.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

It sounds like your breath sample would have destroyed their case. It's strange how evidence disappears.

Matt Helm 2 years, 10 months ago

@highwaystar... every subject on here you have something bad to say about law enforcement. I'm sure they don't just contact you for no reason. And the "detention deputies" have nothing to do with the actual breath test. They may have used a PBT to see where your levels were for safety reasons, but they didn't get rid of evidence, so stop your whining!!!

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh boy -- another retired or would-be cop pipes up. Check again -- I have nothing bad to say about real cops dealing with real crime -- just kid cops manufacturing it. My big Bro was a cop his whole career -- details elsewhere in these forums -- now making $200K for the State Dept providing security services in the Middle East -- protecting our interests from the people we saved. He was always a bully who ran in packs, as a kid, until he saw the light of the star. It's been guns and badges ever since. And real criminals, kindred spirits. A Psychology professor in college stated how cops and criminals share the same personality type, which my observations confirm.

It was not for "no reason" I was contacted: It was for swerving over the centerline, for no more than 10 feet and with no other traffic present, when the contacting officer approached my vehicle from the rear at 60-70 MPH, only to relent less than 10 feet off my bumper -- I thought he was going to ram me, and was more than a little concerned. This maneuver was timed to coincide with the apex of the tightest curve just north of Tree Haus on River Road. I saw this exact routine repeated on a later night, when I was ready for it. In my case, he caused his probable cause.

It WAS a PBT administered by the detention deputy -- and had its results confirmed my illegal status, I'm sure he would have shared them with me. Inadmissible, sure, but had I known it revealed my innocence, I would have demanded the real test, which is why the jailer kept it to himself. 'Til then the county held all the cards, even as the arresting officer was fabricating his report (details also elsewhere) fiction which, when revealed, would still be sanctioned by the court. They had me by the short hairs, and weren't about to let go.

I'm about sick of beating this dead dog, only make reference in support of other points. So what credentials can you cite, hydrolife, to make you more than an arm-chair cop? Or do you just read about it too?

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

hydro, I have worked for the RCSO. I know what Hwy's talking about. If you are a ex-cop you do to.

Matt Helm 2 years, 10 months ago

Not with the jail staff. They have nothing to do with the breath test for DUI. You should know that!

Matt Helm 2 years, 10 months ago

You keep saying the same thing Hwy... stop your whining! It's in the past. Don't make the same mistake again. IT IS THAT SIMPLE! ... and no one cares about your big bro... no offense.

Matt Helm 2 years, 10 months ago

My credentials are none of your business, but I will say that I am not retired. You just have no clue what you are talking about, and I'm tired of reading about it on every subject in the paper... that's all!

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Happy New Year hydrolife, I hope your tunnel vision clears up.

Matt Helm 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm just saying no matter what the subject is, HWY always finds a way to bring this stuff up, except for the Tebow story...

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

If Hwy's comments enrage you -don't read them. I don't read any of Wedel's comments.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

I made a positive remark about one of our jailers, relating it directly to the subject at hand -- education -- only mentioning the rats in passing, by way of comparison -- when it was blown out of proportion by spidermite, then yourself, hydrolife. My acknowledgement of a quality individual within the ranks goes unnoticed, only my flaws remain in your spotlight.

I could have gotten my license back years ago, but chose not to, our bus system being what it is, other things too. I've gotten over it; only a bitter taste remains. Look at the money I save in gas, tires, oil, insurance, etc, all heavily taxed too. When I do choose to drive again, I will do so most diligently, so as to avoid a repeat of the current situation. I'm tired of county court.

I didn't say anything about Tebow either, but now that you mention it, I wish him and his guys the best, but I'm not betting on them going all the way, this year anyway.

George Karl and his boys present another story. While everybody is saying Clippers, Heat, and Bulls, I think the league and nation has a surprise in store. The Nuggets are 3-0, including brief pre-season, winning their closest game by 17 points. They beat the world-champ Mavs by 22 the other night. I'm going to hitch my wagon to THIS star. And thank GOD the NBA is back!!

Listen to your teachers. kids, and especially your basketball coaches!!

greenwash 2 years, 10 months ago

Do you need a degree to be a cop ? I dont think so.....generally speaking are cops smart....I dont think so....Is Tebow going to win a Super Bowl ? I dont think so .Is our economy recovering here In SBS? I dont think so. Are our schools rated A ? I dont think so .

Do teachers deserve a raise ?....If we can prove they can teach ( CSAP/ACT/SAT ) and our schools are rated A then of course yes .

Happy Happy New Year !

Matt Helm 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not enraged by any means... Just stating facts. I've got nothing against anybody on here.

I will agree with you about not betting on the Broncos! lol

Oh yeah, pray for some snow! I'm tired of hitting rocks with my sled!!!

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

Rhys The only thing you and I will ever agree on are Tebow, the Nuggets and that driving is fun. I spent 5 years of my 51 year working carreer in corrections so it was a pretty minor part of the whole picture. One thing I did experience was that 95% of people in jail were innocent. Only 5% had the guts to admit their guilt. Amazing how efficient law enforcement is at framing people.

Spidermite Nowhere in my post is the word "proud". I did use the word "happy". My daughter-in-law has a Masters Degree in Psychology and I have a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering. What are your Degrees in? You state that I am "limited" which comes as no surprise as you have called me names before in these forums. You are right. I am limited in the amount of taxes that I am able to pay to support all forms of government and public education.

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

Spidermite When I worked in Corrections in Washington state, the county and city agencies stored their evidence. My daughter-in-law's father retired from a city P.D. in Illinois and now works part time as their evidence storage technician. You say that Routt county takes care of their evidence and I assume SSPD does so also. I have never heard of an agency that did not take care of it's own evidence. Have you? Who do you suggest stores evidence? The defense attorneys. Did you quit RCSO or were you fired? If you were fired, that would explain some of your comments.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

hydro and jerry -- You are correct, Sirs, I have been crying about my misfortunes far too long, and it's time I got over it. This is not to say every event I speak of didn't happen, just that I left myself open to it, made some poor choices (if I would have blown into his portable the first time, I would have driven home) and I knew the jurisdiction in which I operated. Still, I got myself into it, so the ultimate blame is on me.

I can't say evidence disappeared, since portables are inadmissible.

Jerry is right, about 95% of the incarcerated are actually innocent, despite what their peers think. I freely admitted my guilt, in Montrose County, for felony pot possession. And everybody from the arresting cop to the DA to the judge apologized for doing their job. MCSO still uses my triple-beam to weigh their evidence. Isn't there a loophole in there somewhere? I'm ashamed of nothing, did what I had to, just shoot me. You try to start a business with no help.

hydro -- The line of people who don't care about my brother starts here. We've been on the outs for years, don't exactly see eye-to-eye. When I asked who was really right in Iraq, he shrugged and said you hear so many things, I quit trying to make value judgments, I'm doing it for the buck. Our latest difference. I just brought him up to contrast a real cop to what often passes for such hereabouts. But there again, not to take anything away from anybody; I'm sure we have many fine professionals here too.

Both you guys -- Maybe we'd get along better than you think; I'm surprisingly conservative, for a wild old hippie.

Now something we can all agree on: George Karl's team. Still undefeated, and always winning by at least 17 points. Here comes some fun!! Go Nuggets!!

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Tell y'all what, and years of reflection make me realize: If I was driving in any state of intoxication where it was even a question, I deserve all I have gotten. That I have learned. I don't know if I was chasing ghosts, or running from myself, but that frame of mind is no longer acceptable.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

jlc, I hope you haven't lost any sleep over the word "limited". If your daughter is qualified to teach that's great. I quit the RCSO. Back then the SSPD and the RCSO stored their evidence together. Why would you suggest the DA watch over the evidence? The DA has a close working relationship with the police departments. So you have an industrial engineering degree and you earned your living as a jailer and a driver. Makes sense to me.

pitpoodle 2 years, 10 months ago

The school board made a mistake in giving out raises. Period.

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

spider I said defense attorney. Not District attorney. Sarcasm mentioning defense attorneys as storing evidence. Sorry to say I have a strong streak of sarcasm. Something I do need to do away with. But seriously, who would you suggest store evidence in criminal cases? I spent most of my working career using my engineering degree but changing economic times create the need for reinventing ones career. I was taught that all honest work is valuable so I have never been ashamed of any honest job I could get.

Rhys Go Broncos and Go Nuggets!

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

I suggest a bonded private entity. No conflict of interest. The DA is the defense attorney for the police.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

I would expect the arresting entity to maintain their evidence, no surprises there. I would be interested to learn what happens to the goodies once the vast majority of cases are settled without a trial. What I wouldn't give for 10 minutes in an evidence locker...

Jerry -- Right you are to be proud of any honest work you have done. I have done a wide variety of things myself, and while some may have been more legal than others, they were all honest.

Tonight the Nugs are in Portland, and the Blazers always put a good team on the floor. But we got Andre Miller back from them, and he'll help out tonight. This will be a good test to see if this team is for real. Pardon my penchant for overstatement, but this may be the best team to ever lace up their tennies. The whole team could start the game, anywhere else. George has them playing the way they should, for the team.

For awe-inspiring, impromptu gymnastics, no other game comes close. I love the NBA!!

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

In response to this article - I agree with pitpoodle.

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree with pitpoodle and spidermite. Sam disappeared after two posts. I still wonder if he is a teacher?

spider I agree such a system could work but anyone would want a bunch of money to do it privately and a lot of profit and a lot of over priced insurance. I guess that would give the citizens of Routt county another tax they could vote on themselves.

Rhys Do you remember David Thompson? I saw him several times at McNichols Arena. The guy could fly without wings until he got the big contract and decided cocaine was more fun than basketball. Alex English and Dan Issel were on that team.

rhys jones 2 years, 9 months ago

DT scored 73 points in a game once, and his acrobatics, soaring, defying gravity, were indeed a joy to watch. Coke took another one, well before his time. But he remains active in the organization, and I'll bet he can still put on a show.

The beauty of this year's team is that it is exactly that: a TEAM, not one or two superstars. There is so much talent on that bench, George cannot possibly give them all the time they deserve. If one slows down a step, there are three capable subs itching to play. Ty Lawson is a natural superstar, All-Star for sure, maybe this year, with Chauncey gone. And even he will sacrifice minutes to two or three very capable backups. It's George's No-Name Team (they're ALL names -- Gallinari, Miller, Nene, Bird Man and some soon-to-be-familiar ones), and the fun continues tonight at 7-ish.

Now to return to the subject -- as usual I'll waffle. While I think COMPETENT teachers deserve more money, I feel most administrators are a waste of money, overpaid already, and the new $90K gig is especially hard to swallow. As usual, the club takes care of their own.

Now back to the important stuff: GO NUGGETS!!

spidermite 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad we got this article discussed. Happy New Year

jerry carlton 2 years, 9 months ago

Rhys Alex English had a beautiful fall away jumper. I still have a book of poetry that he wrote. Forget where I bought it. That was a long time ago.

Kevin Nerney 2 years, 9 months ago

Why can't we have a sliding scale for school taxes? If everyone in this town was retired with no kids would we still have to pay for a school. My mother-in-law has lived in the same house for 60 some years and has not had a student in the system for 40 years, why is she required to pay into the school system? Why isn't there a sunset for school tax. I think it would solve multiple issues including rising costs. Less kids smaller budget. Not that were supposed to stay on topic.

jerry carlton 2 years, 9 months ago

Good suggestion Kevin. Do not know how it would solve rising costs but as someone with no children in school for for 25 years I love the concept. I am afraid once the government gets their hands in our pockets they never take them out. They just dig deeper. Ever notice how all the taxes that are supposed to sunset are put on the ballot for renewal and almost always pass?