Jack Weinstein: Irish pub opens Friday

photo

Reporter Jack Weinstein

— Steamboat’s newest bar will open Friday. McKnights Irish Pub & Loft is scheduled to open at 5:30 p.m., co-owner Kerry Shea said.

Shea, who with partners Brent Pearson and Malcolm Scott also owns Cruisers Sub Shop and The Rusted Porch, said McKnights would serve traditional bar fare. But Shea said it’s an “authentic Irish pub,” from the stone treatment to the menu that will include shepherd’s pie and Guinness.

“We wanted to elevate it and take it and really drive home that when you come here, you feel like you’re in an Irish pub,” he said. “That goes for the decor, menu offerings and spirits.”

Shea said the loft area would include pool tables and space for live music and parties.

McKnights is located in Wildhorse Marketplace in the space formerly occupied by Kyteler’s Irish Pub, which was plagued by a variety of issues and never opened.

■ Steamboat Springs Human Resources Director John Thrasher is retiring after more than 30 years with the city. His last day is Feb. 2.

Thrasher is moving to Delta to become a fruit farmer. Thrasher said he plans to grow apples, peaches, pears, cherries and grapes, but not the type used for making wine.

“It’s going to be fun,” he said. “Whether I grow any fruit, we’ll see.”

Thrasher joined the city in 1981 as director of Parks, Open Spaces and Recreational Services Department when City Hall was located in the building that is now Cugino’s and only 65 people worked for the city. There now are more than 240 full-time employees on the city’s payroll. Thrasher became assistant city manager in 1991, took on human resources and internal services responsibilities in 1993 and even served as city clerk for a few City Council meetings. He became the full-time human resources director in 1995.

A public reception will be held for Thrasher on Jan. 19.

Wendy DuBord, the city’s director of internal services, and Police Chief J.D. Hays also are retiring. Their last day is Jan. 6.

■ Howelsen Hill Ski Area has extended hours through Thursday, with the exception of Christmas Day and Monday, when it will be closed.

The ski area will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 30.

Normal operating hours will resume Dec. 31. The deadline to buy season passes at the early season price is Dec. 31. Visit www.steamboatsprings.net/rec or call 970-879-4300 for more information.

■ The city is accepting Christmas trees to recycle through the end of January. They can be dropped off at the northeast corner of the parking lot at Howelsen Ice Arena.

Because the trees will be used for mulch given to residents and in city parks, all tinsel, lights, nails, ribbons and other decorations must be removed. The city asks that residents not recycle their wreaths at the tree drop-off location.

Comments

Routt_County_Guy 2 years, 7 months ago

There are many local workers who have still not gotten paid for work done on this pub from when it was called Kyteler's. I personally plan not to support this business and ask other locals to do the same.

Neil O'Keeffe 2 years, 7 months ago

That's like saying you are going to boycott the ski area because you did not like Less Ottens policies 10 years ago. A little common sense could go a long way.

Jon Quinn 2 years, 7 months ago

The Kyteler's owners left a lot of people hanging, no doubt. The new owners are locals and have no association with the former ownership. Neil is correct, it would be senseless to punish the current owners for the sins of the previous ownership group. We should all be excited to see see locals opening new businesses, and I would personally much rather spend my dollars to support locally owned establishments.

Good luck Kerry and Brent! I hope the new year brings lots of success!

steamboatsconscience 2 years, 7 months ago

I think Guy is saying that McKnights is the beneficiary of the work that had been done to convert the place to an Irish pub and basically got that done for free. How about at least free food and Guinness for a couple of years for the subs Mr. Shea?

greenwash 2 years, 7 months ago

Highly doubtful it will be around in a couple years.....What are they thinking?

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh great!! Another bar!! WOO HOO!! Maybe THOSE girls will like me.

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

OTP, Sunpie's, Boathouse, Rio, Tap House, V - eh, been there done that, too durn close and convenient -- what time is the last bus?

Two questions arise: How much did the sign cost, and where does it go next?

rhys jones 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't get me wrong -- O'Bannon's in Telluride, and Murphy's here, are and were great Irish pubs, and I wish this one the best too.

I just think it's ill-considered to open a bar-only between the town and mountain, near neither a residential nor tourist base, a ride away from anywhere.

If it was my money, I'd have tried to revive the Ghost Town -- assuming they still have that great sound system -- and we'd only play first-rate blues and rock, canned when we have to. I'd pay WWOZ to pirate many of their shows, Fridays 6-9 most of all; where he finds that stuff is a mystery to me. Us old guys would flock to that.

Kevin Nerney 2 years, 7 months ago

Jon Q--- the manager is from Breckenridge, unknown how many he brought with him--- breck is close but not really local.

Matt Helm 2 years, 7 months ago

I just hope it's better than the Rusted Porch... The burgers were pretty bad, and the service needs some work. I wish that area would do well, but they've got to have good food and service to compete because it's just not as convenient as downtown restaurants for most people. I say good luck, and I'll give it a try at least once...

mmjPatient22 2 years, 7 months ago

From the 5 minutes that I spent in there on opening night, I hope that there's a little more work that's going to be put into McKnight's. A few points.... 1. Simply outstanding that there will be somewhere else to play pool/darts other than the V! Also, it's cool that the pool/darts have the top floor. Nice separation. 2. A little disappointed with the flooring. Self-adhered carpet tiles?! What happened to the beautiful hardwood flooring that I saw in there before it failed as Kytelers? Was it repossessed?
3. Menu...I know it was just opening night, but please tell me that they plan on expanding their menu beyond 3 items.

Other than that, I hope to get to experience a more fine-tuned/well-oiled/settled-in version of this place in the future.

JJ Southard 2 years, 7 months ago

Greenwash said the same thing about the medical marijuana businesses. Obviously BrownWash has no clue what they are ever yapping about. Washy, shut up & do that laundry!

greenwash 2 years, 7 months ago

Man what is this S#t man? Mostly Maui Waui man, but its got some labrador in it. Whats Labrador , man ? I had it on the table and the little Motherf#&@r ate it man. Than I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days, man , before I got it back.Really blew the dogs mind, ya know? You mean were smoking dog sh# man?

mmjPatient22 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow greenwash...what a spectacular display of intellect!