Ride through Steamboat a nostalgic 1 for some

Adobe Flash player 9 is required to view this video
Get Adobe Flash player

Horseback riders in Steamboat's Safeway

Three Routt County residents ventured into Safeway on horseback the evening of Dec. 11. Their presence shocked customers and upset the store manager.

photo

Courtesy of Routt County Sheriff's Office

Michael Joseph Miller

— Michael Joseph Miller’s trot to the railroad tracks where Steamboat Springs Police Department officers said he was subdued by a Taser at 10:30 p.m. Sunday and then arrested began more than 10 hours earlier atop Emerald Mountain. But for many Steamboat Springs residents who followed the news story Sunday night and Monday morning, the ride might well have begun 30 years ago in an era in Steamboat when horses and bars didn’t make for such an unusual pairing.

“I had a great ride right up until the very end,” Miller, 44, said an hour and a half after he was released on a $750 bond from the Routt County Jail on Monday afternoon. He had spent the night there on charges including suspicion of harassment, disorderly conduct, obstructing a police officer and resisting arrest. Police said the charges stemmed from a fight they said Miller was involved in at the Old Town Pub at about 9:30 p.m.

But at noon Sunday, Miller, of Steamboat, and friends Kenneth Recker and Roxanne Lange, of Clark, started what they now call a memorable ride through town by galloping up Emerald Mountain on their two Tennessee Walkers and a Morgan Paint Mare. From there, they went to race up and down Howelsen Hill before grabbing drinks at Sunpie’s Bistro. From Sunpie’s, they rode to Double Z Bar & BBQ on Yampa Street. They rode to Old Town Pub, and from the pub, they traveled to a grocery store on the south end of town to grab a bag of chips before heading up to Torian Plum Plaza for a sushi dinner at Saketumi and later a beer at The Tugboat Grill & Pub in Ski Time Square. It was then back into town and another stop at Old Town Pub and a final stop at the Veterans of Foreign Wars on Lincoln Avenue, where the riders rode their horses through the bar.

Seen around town

Standing in the cash room of the Steamboat Springs Safeway store at about 6 p.m. Sunday evening, store manager Artaya Jackson said she heard screams coming from the front of her store. It was near the origin of the screams that Jackson saw a few uninvited guests.

“I came out and saw three huge horses standing in front of our Starbucks counter, and one of the riders was trying to buy a bag of chips,” Jackson said. “These were three huge horses, not small horses. I looked at the riders and I told them ‘You have got to go. This violates every policy we have.’”

Jackson said Miller, Recker and Lange exited the store moments later and left behind $5 for a bag of tortilla chips.

“And thankfully, the horses didn’t slip on our freshly waxed floor,” she added. “That could have been a disaster.”

But the riders’ journey through town that eventually became reminiscent of a 1970s Steamboat scene didn’t end in front of aisle 11. Approximately three hours later, one of the riders managed to get her horse up the steps and around the sharp corner leading into the Old Town Pub.

“It was quite an event,” said James Boyd, who was sitting in the bar when Lange rode Blacktail into the front door of the pub. “It shocked everyone, and of course the bartenders told them ‘You cannot have a horse in the bar.'"

Video

Horse and rider in downtown bar Dec. 11

A woman entered Old Town Pub in downtown Steamboat Springs on horseback the night of Dec. 11. A resulting altercation outside eventually led to the arrest of a 44-year-old Steamboat Springs man.

Police Sgt. Rich Brown said Monday it was at Old Town Pub where Miller allegedly pushed and tore the shirt off a man. The altercation started after pub staff refused to give Lange back a beer she surrendered to bartenders when she rode into the bar.

After the altercation, the horseback riders left the scene and bar staff called police. Thirty minutes later, police said they caught up with the riders by the railroad tracks near the Depot Art Center. That was after Lange said the three riders did a quick trot through the inside of VFW Post 4264.

According to Miller’s arrest affidavit, an officer asked Miller to dismount his horse after he was contacted by police on his way home, and he refused. The affidavit goes on to state Miller, who owns Rogue Resources Inc., continued to disregard officers’ orders to dismount, at which point Miller “spurred” his horse, causing it to rear up. Officers used a Taser on Miller and removed him from the horse after they said he continued to ignore commands.

Lange and Recker were not taken into custody and left the scene without facing charges.

'A great ride'

Steamboat Springs Police Department community service officer Scott Shaffer said Monday that while the city’s municipal code has specific regulations for owning horses and riding them on equestrian trails, there is no specific ordinance regulating horse ridership through the downtown area.

Lange and Recker said their approximately 10 1/2 hour trot through town was unplanned but was nonetheless a great time.

“One thing led to another, and we just kept going,” Lange said. “It was super fun to be in a town where you can ride your horse to dinner. People just loved it. Little kids were petting the horses. It was just fun.”

Ron Partington, who was visiting the Yampa Valley from Chicago, said he had a beer with the three riders at the Tugboat on Sunday night.

“I thought it was pretty cool,” he said about the three horses tied up outside. “The (riders) seemed to just be enjoying the evening. I took a couple pictures of them with their horses on my cellphone.”

And Barb Simms, assistant to Steamboat Springs Chief of Police J.D. Hays, said the equestrian tale was reminiscent of 1976 Steamboat.

“I was working as a waitress downtown on the Fourth of July, and I’ll never forget the day someone rode a horse through the bar” at El Rancho, Simms said. “It was what it was back then. People were riding horses all over the place, so why not ride it through a bar?”

But times were different in the then one-stoplight town, Simms added. In the years before that, some downtown establishments also sported hitching posts.

“It was a cowboy town,” she said.

To reach Scott Franz, call 970-871-4210 or email scottfranz@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 10 months ago

"Ride 'em in, let 'em out, cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhiiiiiide!" Yeehaw!

steamboatsprings 2 years, 10 months ago

This is good, can't wait to hear the details on this little adventure.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Yep, since the El Rancho closed there isn't a bar in town where your horse can get a drink.

mmjPatient22 2 years, 10 months ago

"....Momma's, don't let yer babies grow up to be cowboys...."

obamanation 2 years, 10 months ago

These idiots were at another bar where my girlfriend works they were abusive to the horses and got what they deserved!!! Givem RUIs. and animal cruelty

bigfatdog 2 years, 10 months ago

that will teach em....dont they know Steamboat has given up on the western lifestyle that put this town on the map?? Should have been on bicycles and the cops would have kindly escorted them home!!!! could have made the soon to be famous photo of bikers carrying skis thru the snow. Yeah..BiketownAnywhereUSA.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Good grief! All they needed were some hitching posts. Can't people ride into town anymore for refreshments? Can't wait to hear the cruelty part, no unsettled horse will stand like that for the camera flash... maybe he couldn't get what he wanted to drink?

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

I know what happens when horses been drinking, and this one needs diapers. Eeww.

Responder 2 years, 10 months ago

Good to see someone is bringing back our old traditions. I bet the tourists loved it! I mean, isn't that the old western town marketing that way we USED to do? Should be good marketing for the Old Town Pub. There should be fund raiser for the cowboy's legal fees held at the Pub.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 10 months ago

If you're ever in need of a good chuckle, watch the tasering clips on youtube. Drunks & miscreants getting their due. Although, I have a cop friend who in 15 years has never tased anyone. Says it generates nightmarish volumes of paperwork.

John St Pierre 2 years, 10 months ago

Curious.... can you get a DUI for operating a horse while under the influence?????

Do both rider and horse get to blow the???

Glad to see they finally got the Horse effluent off the sidewalk finally after lunch today !!

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

fishcreek, Long ago a rancher that lost his license, due to a DUI, drove his tractor to town when he wanted to party. A horse is even a better idea. They know the way home. What are you accusing the rider and horse of blowing? I hope you weren't stressing out over any horse effluent on any sidewalk. About what time was it that the sidewalk was cleaned to your satisfaction?

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Miller looks like HE was rode hard and put up wet, lmao!

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

He had a rough night. I'll bet he is wondering where he parked his horse.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Did they use the taser on him while he was horseback? Could have been an ugly fall onto asphalt... even worse if they tased the horse he rode in on.

MsRed 2 years, 10 months ago

I think Mr.Miller should have been allowed to leave his cowboy hat on for the booking photo..:o)))

Tracy Barnett 2 years, 10 months ago

Nobody would have blinked an eye in the Buttonbush, Cave In, Thunderhead and Shortbranch days.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Tracy, Why can't we take old town back to those days? That's when the town was fun and everyone wanted to be downtown. If it can be done - you're the one to do it!

Bill Dalzell 2 years, 10 months ago

Don't know about Miller or Lange, but would have a really tough time believing Kenny would be cruel to anyone or anything. Its just not in his nature. Pretty classic story.

Responder 2 years, 10 months ago

Does this qualify for them to be the Grand Marshall(s) at the Winter Carnival?

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 10 months ago

Look closely at the pic of the horses in front of Sunpie's. There is a fourth one behind the brown horse in the middle.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 10 months ago

Slightly off topic ... Has anyone else noticed that every single one of our comments has been removed from the article "Former Steamboat market and cafe owner pleads no contest to attempted theft" "for violation of the usage agreement"? What's up with that, Pilot?????

bill schurman 2 years, 10 months ago

Ride 'em Cowboy!! To bad we still do not have the mounted horse patrol. Hope one of those horses doesn't get loose during Winter Carnival and go in search of a brew!

john bailey 2 years, 10 months ago

that my freinds is THE best way to market this ski town usa. bike town? give me a break!

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Pheobe, Did you notice they altered the original article? They removed part of Attorney Tim Oliphant's comment. My guess is the owner of Bella's Wine Bar demanded the removal.

Scott Berry 2 years, 10 months ago

Obamanation! Please take your PETA attitude and pack it in your car and leave town. You have no appreciation for this town and its heritage. Your "culture" doesn't belong here.

jerry carlton 2 years, 10 months ago

PETA People eating tasty animals! Never tasted horse and do not want to.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

I think we should make an annual horsecapade downtown just before Christmas. I've got a short horse who has sworn off all booze, so she shouldn't offend anyone. Anyone else in?

Scott Berry 2 years, 10 months ago

I think we should demand that the state come back to town and retrofit the "bulb-outs" with hitching posts. Mike has started something

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

I've got a "big ole boy" that likes to paw the water out of troughs. He can't help it. It gives him something to do when he's not bobbing for the water heater. I doubt anyone would serve him.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 10 months ago

spidermite- I don't remember what Oliphant said. What did they remove? I would really like to know why our comments were removed. I know absolutely that mine did not violate the usage agreement, and I'm pretty sure none of the other comments did, either. I'm a bit miffed. So much for free speech. Pilot, I know I'd like an explanation. I'd like to make sure I don't make the same mistake in the future. Anybody else? And, if it turns out Bella demanded removal, well that just opens up a whole new can of worms ...

Marian Marti 2 years, 10 months ago

Mike was just keeping with the Cowboy Heritage of Steamboat for which this city brings in $$$ for the economy. I don't believe cops should tase anyone unless their life is in danger; it's way overboard...

callguinness 2 years, 10 months ago

At the point that a cop feels their life or anyone else life is in danger they are allowed to shoot you with their gun. Just so you know when the shoot at you their gun they are trying to kill you, there is no "shooting to wound or disable".

The article states "...disregard officers’ orders to dismount, at which point Miller “spurred” his horse, causing it to rear up." Not sure if you have ever seen a horse reared up, but that would be quite threatening to me. I'm not sure I would fear for my life, but I would be worried that I was in danger of bodily harm.

The reason he was tased wan't because he was on the horse. It was because he was suspected of being involved in some form of altercation, the police were attempting to investigate, and he threatened them with his horse.

So based on what is in the article and some commonsense I would say this was a totally justifiable use of a taser.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Call, I wasn't there but think it unlikely the horse reared due to "spurring", it seems far more realistic to me the officer got close and either grabbed a rein, or the horse started fidgeting around and things got a bit out of control. Tasing seems to be an extreme action which from what I've read doesn't fit the circumstances. Guess we need to get a deposition from Blacktail, he's an eyewitness. Maybe he thought the taser was coming for him.

canyonwind 2 years, 10 months ago

This news story was big enough to get on the Drudge Report , however whats the big deal this is Northwest Colorado but the story was reported like it happened in Orange County on Balboa Island or something. Looks to me like all you old timers lost your town to a bunch of limp risted yuppies and to me that kind of a bummer, I bet this town was a awsome place to live back in the 60's and 70's

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Phoepe, I don't remember how Tim worded his comment. He implied that bookkeeping, at the bar, was not a top priority and that the owner wouldn't be able to verify any money was missing. I suggested the IRS should help the owner. After that the comments went away.

MrTaiChi 2 years, 10 months ago

Judgin' from the video camera angle of the horse's posterior and poor lighting I first thought it might be the Oracle of Oak Creek.

doubleottseven 2 years, 10 months ago

First of all the police only had to go to Mike's house to arrest or ticket him after he got his horse safely home. God knows there were plenty of witnessess. In the old days the police would have escorted the drunk merrymaker home. There was no reason for tasering anyone. Second of all, Mike and his crew should not have "gone off the deep end" of inserting their horses into businesses like the grocery store. Back in the old days there was plenty of shenanigans but mostly revolving around bars. Unfortunately its not the old days and its not the old Steamboat or Steamboat residents, police, patrons, managers, onlookers, etc. for that matter. One good thing about this is that it brought a good laugh, Mike never looked better and it lightened up the mood of all the other rhetoric.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

"inserting their horses" Now that right there is a crime.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe so. Wouldn't you fed them the chips and not insert them. If this isn't right I've been doing things wrong for years!

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

doubleott, No worries. I get those two words confounded all the time. Merry Christmas and Happy Trails.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

I had a horse who ate cookies like a slot machine, you'd slip em into his hanging lower lip, he'd crunch em then drop his lip again for more, so insert works for me! Can't help but wonder if they'd just taken the real Starbucks' drive-thru they would have found friendlier service.

CedarBeauregard 2 years, 10 months ago

I love it.. You guys singlehandedly reminded Steamboat of its Western Heritage..

Lets bring back the hitching posts..

jmemcse 2 years, 10 months ago

I'll never forget the night a horse won the taco eating contest in the Cameo.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah! I'd vote for bringing back hitching posts, been arguing about it for years. If we can have bike racks and bike lanes... why not some hitching posts for our traditional forms of transportation?

Marian Marti 2 years, 10 months ago

To Callguiness: Yes, I have horses. I had a horse who reared sometimes when I was riding him - so have had the full experience. If the horse rears while it is sideways to a person, they are not in danger... but danger would be perceived if the person were standing directly in front of the rearing horse. We know not what the positions were in this case... I still maintain that tasering should only be used if the person using it is in danger of injury not death... I believe in this instance there was neither...

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Couple of thoughts... replayed the Safeway video and don't see any sign of spurs on Mr. Miller... he has to kick pretty hard to get his horse moving at all. Also gotta wonder how anyone would notice spurs anyway in the dark, in the midst of an altercation that was supposedly escalating quickly enough to inspire use of a taser?

If a stranger approaches a horse in the dark and grabs a rein the horse will pull back, and UP if the bit gets yanked. It's a natural horse move and not aggressive, it's evasive.

Also gotta wonder about tasing someone horseback, it could transfer to the horse and cause a massive (rearing?) response, not to mention the prospect of the rider falling headfirst onto asphalt, under a frightened horse, in the dark. Guess he should have dismounted when asked, but tasering seems like a very heavy response to what seems to be a fairly inconsequential situation.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

With the exception of Virgil and contrary to myth, the Earp brothers were a bunch of insecure bullies who got their strength in numbers, justifying whoever they wanted to shoot today. They set the paradigm for the modern Western lawman.

(As an aside... Wyatt was arrested 4 times for patronizing cathouses, in his youth, escaped once, and ran saloons his whole life, along with his self-appointed Federal Marshall positions.)

And now I'm wondering about some specifics... did the electrodes penetrate Mike's heavy jacket, or did they zap him somewhere else? Did he remain on the horse, or get lucky in the fall? Did the cop hide his chuckles, while Mike was twitching?

I agree with the above two posts, the response was not justified. That was the most dangerous and life-threatening event all day. The arresting officer's name is not mentioned, and my bet is it's another trigger-happy rookie. Ya gets what ya pays for.

I love my town, but I fear our government.

sledneck 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, it just made the national news. Fox, Greta Van Sustren

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Greta-great-grandpappy got shot off his horse once, wounded twice, captured twice, and escaped twice, all from the Rebs in the Civil War... only to return home and get into a rhubarb with the Sheriff over a neighbor's dog, in which Sheriff gets shot... and that's when the Joneses left Arkansas.

So you must consider the source. I like Mike's Freedom Gene. Sometimes we run counter to the authorities. Oh well.

National,eh? Nice!!

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

that should be "great-great-grandpappy" sorry Greta. Spell-checker was RIGHT. My bad.

Colette Erickson 2 years, 10 months ago

RE: "taco eating contest," the old Cameo was a much friendlier and fun place than the current incarnation, w/ better food, as well. This town sure has changed a lot over the years.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

3canines, Like canyonwind tried to say we lost our town "to a bunch of limp wristed yuppies". I like him already!

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

They were released to sober friends -- their horses. Nobody would serve them.

1999 2 years, 10 months ago

These guys were riding around Steamboat for about 10 hrs that day. They rode down lincoln for goodness sake. The tourists LOVED it.

you think if it was so horrible the cops would have made contact with these guys well before the ride had gone on for 10 HOURS!!!!

why on earth would 20 cops be needed to "apprehend" these people at 10 oclock at night when they were on their way home?

The fact is...they tasered the guy while he was on his horse which made the horse rear up. apparently the guy has black hole marks on his chest from being tasered.

then they gave him a real steamboat howdy do while he was on the ground.

20 cops to apprehend 3 people who had done nothing wrong.

the cops had about ten hours to "apprehend" these neer do wells. The horses were parked ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE POLICE STATION for quite sometime.

interesting for sure.

i'm sure this post won't last for long.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

"Cop Town USA" Even with the winter bus schedule, I still see as many cops as buses on Lincoln, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. Making crime to pay the bills, I'm sure. This must be a high-crime community.

20:1 sounds like Earp odds. Another reason I don't drive. Yank this one too.

1999 2 years, 10 months ago

....the bouncer at the OTP held the door for the young lady on the horse.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

I wish the horses would tell us what really went down.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

Our cops get really excited. There are alot of them and not much crime here. The horses are under a "gag order".

tom bedell 2 years, 10 months ago

I miss the chariot races. Man, you want to talk about a crazy fun time.

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

Remember when the stoplights downtown would start flashing yellow at about midnight? I didn't notice when that disappeared. Either Public Works is in cahoots with the local petroleum resellers -- or the cops; more possible "Probable Cause."

My unofficial observations show a cop driving by on Lincoln every 2-3 minutes, at any time of day or night. The Highway Patrol cruises through at 50 at 4 AM, just because they can. No emergency equipment displayed, just bored.

I repeat: COP TOWN U.S.A.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

The life of a cop. What a job. Eat,cause people grief, eat ,then apply preparation H.

mmjPatient22 2 years, 10 months ago

I think I got it....

We could be, "...so a horse walks into a bar..." Town USA!

...and I can't believe no one had made that reference yet.

Routt_County_Guy 2 years, 10 months ago

In reply to Tai Chi, what seems to be the Oracle of Oak Creek has the distinct smell of Steamboat Springs. I had the opportunity to drive by the site of the tasering of horse and rider incident, and I don't think that smell is EVER going to go away!

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

RCG, that's the hot springs, and yep, I hope it won't ever go away :-)

Tammie Delaney 2 years, 10 months ago

I have some huge admiration for their pretty mellow horses... Mike, you may have started something - as a kid I was always so proud of Steamboat's winter carnival & 4th of July parades having more horses than people (or trucks, floats, etc.) & loved riding drill team maneuvers with both Perry Mansfield & 4H. It's about time we reclaim our western heritage! Not sure I could ever get my horse inside OTP but I'm all over the the hitching post concept. In Hayden, we still have the hitching rings on Walnut Street... & some major quarter horse heritage to boot. Hmmm, next up Hayden Holiday Horse Stroll?

rhys jones 2 years, 10 months ago

So the horse walks in the bar and the barkeep says "Why the long face?"

"Cops just got new batteries."

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe we could combine a hitch ring with the bike racks? I don't think those monster mountain bikes would be harmed by a little organic matter.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

RCG, Hmmmm, you don't appear to be familiar with Routt County. Get a map. Drive around. If you put your window down you can smell stuff.

1999 2 years, 10 months ago

Steamboat had more national exposure from this ride than from the Pro Challenge.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 10 months ago

Ya just can't buy publicity like this!

(spider- Thanks for the info (a few days ago) and no worries about the name. I spilled agave nectar on my keyboard and you should see what my posts look like before I clean them up!!!!!)

Rossiman 2 years, 10 months ago

This may be the most ridiculous over reaction by the police since Billy Kidd was arrested a few years ago. They need some history lessons.

cheesehead 2 years, 10 months ago

Someone reported the police raiding a house a while back and the chief wouldn't comment on it. Has any info come out on that story?

1999 2 years, 10 months ago

in my opinion..it was far more than an over reaction. an over reactin would have happened after Safeway, or maybe when they were riding around downtown, down lincoln, or maybe while they were still at the OTP.

the cops waited an entire day to be able to "bust" these people. the cops knew this was going on all day but waited until 10 at night (hoping i'm sure that the horse riders were dunk and thus potentially combative).

it stinks far more than "over reaction"

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

1999, I only know what I read here, but the police weren't called until there was an altercation at Old Town Pub. The way I read it, one of the ladies rode in with a beer in hand, was told to put it down, then asked for it back when she was leaving and was refused. You can hear her on one of the videos wanting her beer back. The Lone Ranger stepped in to defend his lady friend and (while still mounted) ended up tearing some guys shirt off.

Typical cowboy stuff. Wasn't long ago statewide that wouldn't have burred any one's blanket.

The posse found the riders near the Depot, which somehow ended with our finest tasering a tourist.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 10 months ago

sedgemo- Mike's not a tourist; he's lived here a long time, went to high school here.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

What about the home that was raided and the police don't to talk about it. Was this another blunder? Anyone know anything about it?

When Mike goes to court he will need to pay for the damages. One used shirt. Of course the cowgirl has her damages too. One beer. The case should be dismissed. Unless the shirt was worn by a 'limp wristed yuppie".

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

That should read- What about the home that was raided and the police don't want to talk about it.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh, y'all, I was trying to make a joke about folks coming into town on a sunny Sunday, seeing the sights and all, wondering it things would have been different if they'd been on bikes. Happy Holidays everyone, and the horses you rode in on, too ;-)

bandmama 2 years, 10 months ago

If they had been on bikes, they would have been given a warning and possibly a courtesy ride home or to detox. They wouldn't have been tased. A joke. The horses were obviously under control until the "incident". Has anyone been able to discern if the rider was still on the horse when tased? How about charges for mistreating an animal? By the officer doing the tasing. And IF an officer of the law HERE doesn't know how to approach an animal safely? About time some inservice training is in order. All in all we all got a good laugh and a smile over this. This wasn't always ski town or bike town or whatever town. This valley has been a ranching town for decades. Horses go with ranching. Try rounding em up on a bike..... Could be entertaining though.......

1999 2 years, 10 months ago

the guy was tased while sitting on the horse.

kathy foos 2 years, 10 months ago

Real cowboys from the past or present have good manners and riding through a building with a horse is not something that would be considered acceptable in any era.Personally it is disgusting to think the people rode into Safeway,very disrespectful ,real cowboys are not that stupid and disrespectful,thank goodness.I'll bet City Market would have called the cops?Safeway should have.

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

Sun, there is a long history (here and elsewhere) of "real cowboys" riding into all sorts of buildings, without harming anything. They are a lot less disgusting than some of what I see walking around the grocery stores. If there were still hitching posts around it might have made a difference. Or not ;-)

Happy Holidays all.

hereandthere 2 years, 10 months ago

Bravo Kathy. Most intelligent comment so far. These were the boorish actions of simple drunks. Disregarding the comments of our local "good ole boys", I think you will find that most "real cowboys" found this incident repulsive. They endangered the horses, themselves, and the public. As for the tasering, I will trust the officers on the scene. Personally, I don't have a problem tasering all public drunks.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

hereandthere, You think "all public drunks" should be tased?

sedgemo 2 years, 10 months ago

H & T, the only serious danger to anyone here was the taser, unless you think a horse is a danger to the public just for being a horse. How do you feel about the horse being tasered along with his rider? The horse wasn't drunk, at least from what the news reported.

Gotta question your logic of "tasering all public drunks" when so many businesses are allowed to sell alcohol with full societal approval. If you found someone passed out drunk in the cold, would you taser him or her? Hope you don't work for the Sheriff's Dept. Frontier justice of that sort is truly repulsive.

spidermite 2 years, 10 months ago

H&T, Klinger is taking his show to Cripple Creek. You sound like you could fill his shoes.