Longtime Steamboat restaurant Old West Steak House closed

— Old West Steak House didn’t open Friday morning after its last night of business Thursday, owner Marty Duran said.

Duran, who bought the restaurant from Don Silva in April 2008, said an agreement he had last year to catch up on rent during the ski season wasn’t available this year and building owner Jean Sagouspe evicted him Thursday. He said four of his 25 full- and part-time employees worked without pay that night.

“I’m very unhappy,” Duran said. “It’s easy for me to say that Jean could have been different, done this or that. But this is his business. It’s not personal. It’s a business decision.”

Calls to Old West Management, which Sagouspe owns, and his office in Los Banos, Calif., were not returned Friday.

Duran said he bought the restaurant, which has been open since 1978, right before the recession and the business hasn’t recovered. He said he owes rent for October, November and December and could be liable for the next six months for defaulting on the lease.

“We did everything we possibly could to keep it afloat,” Duran said. “We’re probably in denial keeping it open longer than we should. I’ve just never given up on anything in my life.”

Comments

Tucker Hull 3 years ago

Does Sagouspe think we are out of the recession here? Does he get Steamboat? Good luck buddy.

ybul 3 years ago

He is shooting to have more empty spaces in his building.

SAMNEWMAN98 3 years ago

Soon he will have a totaly empty building. Good Luck Marty

Brian Kotowski 3 years ago

I'm not getting the hostility towards Sagouspe. A tenant who can't pay the rent makes it tough for an owner to make the mortgage. Sagouspe made the only reasonable decision available to him. On the other hand, maybe the city should take over and bring its invaluable Iron Horse experience to bear.

mtroach 3 years ago

Sorry it didn't survive, but Old West didn't produce a steak worthy of its prices. I imagined it as an episode of Restaraunt Impossible...in need of a serious remodel of it's decor and menu.

rhys jones 3 years ago

More cases were settled at Scotty's than across the street at the Courthouse, back before the Good News Building blew up. If you hired a local boy, by the time Court was in session, everything seemed eerily scripted. I don't know where they do business these days, as I try to stay scarce in the new neighborhood, not entirely successfully. yvb has a valid point; a reputable attorney from Denver or the Junction would be a wise expense.

I just don't see how one could be held liable for the duration of the lease, if not allowed to occupy and hopefully earn it. I know a lease is a lease, but there are some fundamental rights you cannot sign away, and I think the right to earn your keep is one of them. I'm sure there's a clause excusing Marty from whatever a subsequent lessee assumes, and what are the chances of that, at this time of year and in this economy?

This smacks of frivolous, spiteful, demanding response. A counter claim for legal expenses, at least, and the damages are mounting. This amateur's opinion.

rhys jones 3 years ago

expub, should you be listening in -- you were the lone, shining exception.

rhys jones 3 years ago

Drew Johnroe is also an exception, should've used him at least once.

ybul 3 years ago

No hostility towards the guy. Just see a lot of empty spaces in the building and someone who had a business operating there set for the winter. It will probably be hard to find someone to take over in the winter - could have got caught up on rent over the winter, cut his rent (though to make his nut probably needed to get paid with the other empty spaces. Who knows except him, his banker and accountant ) I would have so that I had some cash flow in the current environment now he is without hope of getting caught up and potentially no new tenant going through the busy season on a tough street for tourist traffic (walk ins).

Who knows, just another landlord that needs to make his rent to pay his bills probably and might become even more difficult without the promise of slow payment for the winter.

Just seems to be someone on the outside looking in. The economy is getting better because all these restaurants are going in. Might be that there are restaurants going in in spaces with lower and lower rents in some cases or building owners taking a risk. who knows, but I sure would not want to push a guy out when I already have so much vacant space in the facility and the empty commercial space in town.

housepoor 3 years ago

tough to make it this town if you dont own the real estate or at least have the property owner invested

jerry carlton 3 years ago

Only sense it makes is that the owner is from California.

Kristopher Hammond 3 years ago

I don't see how a lawyer, even one from out of town, is going to help Duran. He didn't pay the rent and got evicted. The only one who will benefit is the lawyer.

Troutguy 3 years ago

Would have been nice if Marty knew he was getting kicked out before he put in a $15,000 computer system last month. Sad thing is back rent would have been paid by January 1, after the 2 week Christmas rush. Good luck, Riggio's. Last one out of the Old West Building, turn off the lights.......